HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silfverberg so far?

Old
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Someone doesn't remember Redden in his prime.

Best breakout pass in the NHL.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but he was pretty good. Back then you also had the two line pass to worry about and he was a wizard at keeping those legal.

Sick backhand from Silfverberg. You have to be encouraged by his progress.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
and THIS folks is why I am so against trading Kaspars Daugavins.
Why? Incase he might become the best Latvian of all time?

Surely, he's already somewhere in the top 5 all-time, right?

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post

Ozolinch

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
How long before Silf's wrist shot is top 5/10 in the league?
It might be already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
No.

No you can not.

He will never touch those guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
If you need to question why Silfverberg never will touch those players, you don't know those players.
Silfverberg has accomplished more at his age already than half of that list had accomplished at the same age. Has anyone of his age ever put up the kind of dominant season that he did in the SEL?

Obviously comparing him to some of those players is getting ahead of ourselves a bit. However, the sky is the limit for Silfverberg. The thing is that he has shown the ability to constantly improve at every level. He's not a guy that steps in and dominates a league, but builds his way up to being a dominant force.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
It might be already?

Silfverberg has accomplished more at his age already than half of that list had accomplished at the same age. Has anyone of his age ever put up the kind of dominant season that he did in the SEL?

Obviously comparing him to some of those players is getting ahead of ourselves a bit. However, the sky is the limit for Silfverberg. The thing is that he has shown the ability to constantly improve at every level. He's not a guy that steps in and dominates a league, but builds his way up to being a dominant force.
Players capable of dominating the Sel at his age had generally already moved on to the NHL. It's really a stretch to project him as becoming one of the best ever Swedes. Not saying it can't happen, just that the likelihood is about the same as Karlsson repeating for the Norris this year (okay, maybe a little more likely than that)

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Players capable of dominating the Sel at his age had generally already moved on to the NHL. It's really a stretch to project him as becoming one of the best ever Swedes. Not saying it can't happen, just that the likelihood is about the same as Karlsson repeating for the Norris this year (okay, maybe a little more likely than that)
Forsberg stayed in the SEL until he was 22, and Alfredsson stayed until he was 23. Neither of them put up the kind of historic season that Silfverberg did. Naslund didn't make the NHL full time until he was the same age as Silfverberg. Zetterberg stayed in the SEL until he was 22 also. The Sedins didn't put up a season over 40 points for the longest time.

Silfverberg's season next year is actually the equivalent of Alfredsson's rookie season. So I mean, at his current age it's a little early to say "there's no way that he'll be anywhere near those players" especially when you consider what he's already accomplished and how good he is at the same age relative to those players.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:22 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post

Ozolinsh,Skrastinsh,Irbe,Balderis,Zholtok,hell hes not even better than most our KHL guys as in our NT he plays in 3d line as an energy guy. Just because hes in the NHL doesnt make him better.A better grinder,maybe.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Ozolinsh,Skrastinsh,Irbe,Balderis,Zholtok,hell hes not even better than most our KHL guys as in our NT he plays in 3d line as an energy guy. Just because hes in the NHL doesnt make him better.A better grinder,maybe.
And he probably grows a better mustache too!

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:42 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
And he probably grows a better mustache too!
That,i cant refute

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
Its EXPECTED of him to be good. But it is most likely he will not do the big list no...[prove me wrong Silf¡]

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
It might be already?

SEL isnt half the league today compared to what it was back then. As a swede im happy about Silfverbergs progreess but comparing him to the likes of Forsberg and Sunding is totally ignorant. He simply lacks (a lot) in every aspect of the game compared to those players.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 AM
VikingYote

Quote:
SEL isnt half the league today compared to what it was back then. As a swede im happy about Silfverbergs progreess but comparing him to the likes of Forsberg and Sunding is totally ignorant. He simply lacks (a lot) in every aspect of the game compared to those players.
First of all, you can't be serious claiming SEL is half the league of what it once was? If anything it is better then ever (bittert Leksandsfan eller vad fan är det frågan om?). Second of all, Silf has showed more or as much skill/potential for his age as any of the players mentioned above. That doesn't mean he will necessarily reach their level however but claiming that will never happen is what's ignorant.

VikingYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingYote View Post
First of all, you can't be serious claiming SEL is half the league of what it once was? If anything it is better then ever (bittert Leksandsfan eller vad fan är det frågan om?). Second of all, Silf has showed more or as much skill/potential for his age as any of the players mentioned above. That doesn't mean he will necessarily reach their level however but claiming that will never happen is what's ignorant.
Does KHL ring a bell? Its by far the best league (and biggest) in Europe and the best players outside NA plays there today (including the best swedish players), not in SEL. Today we are also seeing close to 70 Swedes in the NHL, many fillers who 10 years ago would have been key players in SEL etc etc...

Its the way things are, SEL isnt really what it used to be.

And claiming Silfverberg got skills like Forsberg or Sunding is simply laughable...

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:50 AM
VikingYote

Quote:
Does KHL ring a bell? Its by far the best league (and biggest) in Europe and the best players outside NA plays there today (including the best swedish players), not in SEL. Today we are also seeing close to 70 Swedes in the NHL, many fillers who 10 years ago would have been key players in SEL etc etc...

Its the way things are, SEL isnt really what it used to be.

And claiming Silfverberg got skills like Forsberg or Sunding is simply laughable...
You where not born when Forsberg played in the SEL. Try to find an old SEL game with him and you will get two revelations:

1. The quality of game were no where near what we see in the SEL today. Not even close.

2. Forsberg was not better then Silf at that age, if Internet existed back then and if you where born you would probably have sat in this forum saying "Forsberg will never get close to Salming, i'ts laughable"

Last edited by VikingYote: 02-23-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: flaming
VikingYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingYote View Post
You also where not born when Forsberg played in the SEL. Try to find an old SEL game with him and you will get two revelations:

1. The quality of game were no where near what we see in the SEL today. Not even close.

2. Forsberg was not better then Silf at that age, if Internet existed back then and if you where born you would probably have sat in this forum saying "Forsberg will never get close to Salming, i'ts laughable"
I agree that SEL and hockey over all is much better today than it was back then, but Forsberg was utterly dominant in the SEL before he came over to the NHL. At age 21 he was a world class player - Silfverberg isn't.

Don't compare the two, it isn't fair to Jacob.

He does somewhat compare to Alfie though, both playing style and progression at the same age.e

Last edited by SixthSens: 02-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:17 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Discord in Sweden!

Let's everyone calm down and eat some KANELSNÄCKA.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Discord in Sweden!

Let's everyone calm down and eat some KANELSNÄCKA.
I never say no to fika.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I agree that SEL and hockey over all is much better today than it was back then, but Forsberg was utterly dominant in the SEL before he came over to the NHL. At age 21 he was a world class player - Silfverberg isn't.

Don't compare the two, it isn't fair to Jacob.

He does somewhat compare to Alfie though, both playing style and progression at the same age.e
Alfie was still in Sweden at Silfverberg's age and wasn't a ppg player there. Not even comparable to the dominance that Silfverberg put up there. Silfverberg's 21 year old season in Sweden is also better than Forsberg's 21 year old season in Sweden. You act like Silfverberg wasn't utterly dominant in the SEL before coming over here.

Again, it's obviously very optimistic to think that Silfverberg will ever become as good as those players (though I think he can). However is we're basing it on their relative performances at the same age? Silfverberg is as good if not better than most of them.

But the comparisons are difficult too. Silfverberg isn't a high end draft pick that was expected to be as good as he has become. He has shown the ability to adapt and constantly improve at every level. It's impossible to a put a limit on that kind of player at this age.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Personally, I don't really think it's fair to compare Silf with two of the all-time best Swedish forwards.

There's a reason he wasn't drafted in the top 5 overall.

I'm just happy with how his game has progressed this season so far.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 AM
wisers87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Personally, I don't really think it's fair to compare Silf with two of the all-time best Swedish forwards.

There's a reason he wasn't drafted in the top 5 overall.

I'm just happy with how his game has progressed this season so far.
Those two forwards weren't top 5 picks

wisers87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisers87 View Post
Those two forwards weren't top 5 picks
Top 6?

Happy?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
When I watch him I see more Jere Lehtinen. Better shot not quite as good a skater. He is a keeper. maybe a 30/30 guy maybe 20/20 Either was it is fun watching him grow

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

He's got an elite level shot. That is going to make up for his weaknesses.

Andreychuk scored 50, played 20 years and couldn't even skate.

Robitaille couldn't skate and he scored 668 goals.

No player is perfect, and I can see weaknesses in Silf's game, but I can also see that he has the ability to adapt, and he has that shot. Once he adjusts to the NHL (as we are witnessing every game) he is going to score a lot of goals.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far, but he was pretty good. Back then you also had the two line pass to worry about and he was a wizard at keeping those legal.

Sick backhand from Silfverberg. You have to be encouraged by his progress.
I'll never forget him coming around the back of the net on his backhand with one hand on his stick while the other one was being tugged by the forechecker, and then flipping a perfect no look saucer pass to a streaking Hossa at the red line for a breakaway.

It still the greatest breakout pass I've ever seen.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
MAK19

He's really good defensively. Good positioning and pretty much mistake free.

He and Turris make a up 2/3 of a good shutdown line. The ultimate player to put on their their left would be a Burrows type.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote