HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Anyone see a little bit of Doug Gilmour in Kadri?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
When did Dougie ever show up for a season fat and out of shape? Just kidding of course, having some fun. It's pretty high praise to say there's a bit of Dougie in Kadri, but probably wishful thinking. Gilmour played all out, all the time and had the heart of a champion. Kadri? Not yet anyway. After his fast start he's really cooled off and looking more like the Kadri of old, 8 good games doesn't cut it when you're comparing him to a Leaf legend.
He hasn't really cooled off. Points wise? Maybe but he is bringing the physical play and he has looked fine defensively. The points will come again.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:06 PM
meng666

vCash: 500
Quote:
When did Dougie ever show up for a season fat and out of shape? Just kidding of course, having some fun. It's pretty high praise to say there's a bit of Dougie in Kadri, but probably wishful thinking. Gilmour played all out, all the time and had the heart of a champion. Kadri? Not yet anyway. After his fast start he's really cooled off and looking more like the Kadri of old, 8 good games doesn't cut it when you're comparing him to a Leaf legend.
Pretty harsh. You are judging him on points and he certainly could have had a couple tonight. He's no Gilmour but he's playing quite well as a third line prospect. Over 50% on the faceoffs, no brutal turnovers as usual, a great defensive read/stick lift in the third, a penalty drawn as usual, and an excellent hit. Any leafs fan should be happy with his performance tonight. He's not supposed to be ppg this season, he's just supposed to be doing what he's been doing every single game and not being a defensive liability. So far he has far exceeded expectations. He's cooled off for a couple games, who cares. The team is doing well.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Juggy, could it be that you watch Leaf games just to cheer against Kadri? You must have cringed in the first 5 minute when he setup McA for that chance that should have gone in....

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Erdinger

Gilmour was really nasty to play against. I really like Kadri but he isn't that type of a player.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Before you guys get too sensitive about it, comparing one player to another doesn't necessarily mean a comparison in skill level. A player can be compared by their style of play or their personality on the ice. I don't believe the comparison on air was meant to suggest that Kadri is or will be the same calibre of player that Gilmour. The comparison seemed more rooted in personality and playing style - two forwards who played bigger than their size by not shying away from physicality and having a fiery personality on the ice.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Only thing he has in common with Killer is that they were Leafs, that they hit and play bigger than they actually are. Gilmour's playmaking is way off the charts, we're talking top 5 in the league at one point when Gretzky and Lemieux were there.

Right now, he's just a young, gritty, skilled player, let's not jump up and down just yet.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
meng666

Keep in mind too that Kadri is very young compared to Gilmour's best seasons. One big difference though is that Gilmour never backed down for a moment against anyone and I don't really see that from Kadri. In size and skills though they are similar. It's a different game now though so it's hard to compare the two.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:25 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Ive watched Doug Gilmour his whole career even when he played with the leafs even though Im not a fan.

Ive caught a few leaf games this year and the odd one last season when Kadri played.

He seriously reminds me a bit of gilmour. SOme pretty solid skill..not afraid to hit...nice hands...solid passing and some real heart

Anyone feel the same or am I dreaming of killer too much?

I don't know if you're dreaming if Gilmour or just repeating what a commentator said during the game tonight.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:33 PM
DionPhaneuf3

I'm too young to have seen Dougie play, hopefully you are right. But considering how young Kadri is, a comparison to Gilmour is a little farfetched right now

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
Keep in mind too that Kadri is very young compared to Gilmour's best seasons. One big difference though is that Gilmour never backed down for a moment against anyone and I don't really see that from Kadri. In size and skills though they are similar. It's a different game now though so it's hard to compare the two.
When Gilmour was young and with the Blues he feasted off the Leafs. Absolutely hated him. Comparing Kadri to Doug Gilmour is really not fair to Kadri even though I'm sure it's being meant in a good way it's not realistic to expect him to develop into that level of a player. Gilmour had the misfortune of playing in Lemieux's era otherwise he would have been the Hart trophy winner in 92-93 and in all seriousness although Mario got more points I really think Gilmour was the best all around player in the NHL that year.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:12 AM
R McD

When Kadri puts in a Selke winning (and what also should of been a Heart trophy winning I might add) 127 point season followed by a 35 points in 21 games post season, then we can make some comparisons.

R McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:49 AM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
The HNIC commentators did the comparison and Bob Cole literally went, "Oh wow..." - loss for words.

I think it's too early to tell but we shall see.
Glenn Healy trollin' us

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:03 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
I remember Gilmour as being intense and very focused, always into the game, almost never making a bad decision and very opportunistic, a very heady player. Kadri is showing his abundant potential, but I don't see a lot of similarity at the moment. Maybe someday....

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:12 AM
jughead42

I never saw Gilmour as a diver myself, and as decent as Kadri has been this year it is a pretty big part of his game. He's drawn some penalties but if the refs start to get wise it will make it tougher for him in the future.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I don't see it.

Lobstertainment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Darcy Tucker

does anybody see a little bit of Cam Neely in Frattin?

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Dion Phaneuf is Scott Stevens.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:49 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Gilmour was really nasty to play against. I really like Kadri but he isn't that type of a player.
Oh but Kadri is nasty very nasty... can be a dirty SOB when games get chippy and he will not back down from a fight like that puke Ribeiro. Kadri is wiry strong, that hit tonight wont be the last of them, it wasn't the first either at the NHL did the same thing in a game last year at Pittsburgh.

The more Kadri talk that go's on from media to this forum it's obvious most people talk out of there @ss about Kadri cause they haven't seen him play. He's been well known in jr hockey and in the AHL to be a nasty, extremely competitive player who shows up big time come playoff time (sound familiar). THAT'S WHY BURKE DRAFTED HIM the combination of high end skills with a KILLER edge to his game is what enticed Burke to draft him.

As for Kadri being compared to Gilmour he does in the sense of attributes being a high skilled playmaking player with an edge to there games that could be down right dirty at times... that still doesn't mean he will produce like Gilmour did nor will he have the same type of career. Kadri is going to be the next Kadri and that's all he's going to be which will be good news for the Leafs long term IMO.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:09 AM
JackJ

Shares a lot of the same attributes but Gilmour had a higher level in every category, even coming out of junior.

To all those posting about 127 points, it was a different era. Malkin led the NHL with 109 last season and Sedin with 104 the previous season. In today's NHL 80-90 is a huge accomplishment.

A Gilmour lite perhaps?

Last edited by JackJ: 02-10-2013 at 03:16 AM.
JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Aplayaz2000

Kadri reminds me of a Brad Marchand

small guy but very skilled and plays hard
agitator

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:09 AM
The Blue Devil

Typical fan over-reaction. Someone says that a players style reminds them of how another player played, but that somehow means that the person thinks that he's gonna be just as good as said player? That's probably the most annoying thing about these boards or fans in general, people trying to act high and mighty.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Leaf4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Ive watched Doug Gilmour his whole career even when he played with the leafs even though Im not a fan.

Ive caught a few leaf games this year and the odd one last season when Kadri played.

He seriously reminds me a bit of gilmour. SOme pretty solid skill..not afraid to hit...nice hands...solid passing and some real heart

Anyone feel the same or am I dreaming of killer too much?
Gilmour had off the charts play making and heart. Not "pretty solid" or "some". The only thing similar with Kadri is that they both hit harder than their size.

Leaf4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Deezzy22

Kadri is still young but Dougie had that kind of you can beat me down and hurt me but your going to have to kill me to stop me attitude.

Deezzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:15 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
Saying he has the same attributes doesn't mean he is going to be a good as Gilmour. That's obvious. A gritty, skilled two way centre with good vision on the ice. Loved that hit last night. He is not huge, but explodes into his hits. Drew a penalty last night a well. All these things are attributes that Gilmour had, that's all the commentator was saying.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:51 AM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
Kadri reminds me of a Brad Marchand

small guy but very skilled and plays hard
agitator

Definitely this: he's playing with an edge. The team has players who are not prepared to let the opposition bully anyone on the team. This gives the skill player like Kadri all the more confidence to play HIS game.

Have to applaud Kadri AND Eakins & Carlyle... Wilson is coming out of all this looking evil.

HockeyNightInBelfast is offline   Reply With Quote