HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avalanche Poor Media Coverage

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 05:42 PM
  #1
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Avalanche Poor Media Coverage

I am just so sick of the pathetic coverage of this team, whether it's the content their website puts out, what Altitude does suger coating everything during the game, or what the Denver Post feels is the bare minimum they can get by with that day.

Every time the Avs lose, there's basically no updates on the video section until the next game. They don't want any attention being drawn to them sucking, they don't want any players or coaches giving an honest critique publicly about how they're playing. Sacco just speaks in boring platitudes about how they just need to get more shots to the net, and bear down more. The minute they win a bunch of fluff pieces go up, until they lose again and it goes radio silent. "Nothing happened, nothing to see here."

There's only one newspaper that covers the team now, so they feel no pressure to actually put out decent content. Why would they, where else are the people going to go? All we get is a bunch of crappy articles and blogs with very little actual knowledge of the game, or analytical thinking. Seemingly no video interviews with players anymore, where as they at least had that going last year. I can't even tell if they even go into the locker rooms after games anymore. All they seem to come out with is maybe one video interview with Landy or something every week after a practice.

No it's all been replaced with the occasional clip of their beat reporters trying to play anchorman in front of a crappy digital background, and basically providing nothing insightful, or interesting to say. Dater just rambles on like a goofball and stumbles over his words seemingly unaware that he can do more than one take, and Chambers just sits there looking like a dick.

Dater's always got an excuse for why he was late getting the scoop on something, or some info he got wrong. I started this year trying to give him a fresh start in my eyes, but he's just lost it for me at this point. He has the day off when the O'Reilly thing happens, and instead of saying well I better grab my **** and get down to the arena. This is a huge story, and lots of things could be going on, especially with Jay Feaster and the Flames in the same building with Sherman and the Avs.

The Avs end up matching it and where is Dater to cover the story? He's still just sitting on his couch eating potato chips or something, and we get **** all out of Chambers that day. Do your friggin job and be a reporter you idiots. You're telling me it's normal for reporters to just stay home when a huge story breaks? That's you job, to tell the damn news! Take another day off.

And if you want to hear from the Avs front office about the direction of the team, or how things are going, or just general comments forget that. You get one generic little speech at the end of the year capping up the season with a bunch of fluff and excuses.

It takes a huge calamity like the O'Reilly fiasco to get Sherman or anyone to talk during the season, and they left everyone in the dark the entire time until they announced they matched the offer sheet, and spewed out a bunch of BS. Then it was back with their head in the sand.

Only one little interview on the Avs site, and no video interviews from either beat reporter about the players reaction to O'Reilly. Just a couple comments from a couple guys.

Does anyone involved in this give a crap about the fans that pay the Avalanche players, front office, and owners their salaries? Especially with the amount of crap they've had to put up with with losses, struggles, lockouts, holdouts, lost fan favorites, and just a general apathy towards them from the team.

I feel completely taken for granted by this organization as a fan. After everything they've asked us to put up with, they need to do a better job of providing us with a better connection to the team and what's going on, and stop treating the pepsi center like the damn pentagon.

All we basically get from the team is just a "yea, yea, just pay your money at the gate, everything is gonna be fine. Let the grown ups handle this." And from the looks of things at the Post, I just picture Dater and Chambers sitting in an empty warehouse getting drunk, because no bosses or editors seem to work there or give a **** what kind of content their newspaper puts out. "It's gonna make the same amount of money either way, who cares, keep the little weasels on the payroll."

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:38 PM
  #2
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Small market team with low media interest? gasp

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
  #3
ChrisNI
Registered User
 
ChrisNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orillia
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 1650
Haven't gone on the Avs site in a long time as I know there will be nothing there, I just rely on TSN or here for all my hockey news.

It's woefully bad!

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
  #4
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I am just so sick of the pathetic coverage of this team, whether it's the content their website puts out, what Altitude does suger coating everything during the game, or what the Denver Post feels is the bare minimum they can get by with that day.

Every time the Avs lose, there's basically no updates on the video section until the next game. They don't want any attention being drawn to them sucking, they don't want any players or coaches giving an honest critique publicly about how they're playing. Sacco just speaks in boring platitudes about how they just need to get more shots to the net, and bear down more. The minute they win a bunch of fluff pieces go up, until they lose again and it goes radio silent. "Nothing happened, nothing to see here."

There's only one newspaper that covers the team now, so they feel no pressure to actually put out decent content. Why would they, where else are the people going to go? All we get is a bunch of crappy articles and blogs with very little actual knowledge of the game, or analytical thinking. Seemingly no video interviews with players anymore, where as they at least had that going last year. I can't even tell if they even go into the locker rooms after games anymore. All they seem to come out with is maybe one video interview with Landy or something every week after a practice.

No it's all been replaced with the occasional clip of their beat reporters trying to play anchorman in front of a crappy digital background, and basically providing nothing insightful, or interesting to say. Dater just rambles on like a goofball and stumbles over his words seemingly unaware that he can do more than one take, and Chambers just sits there looking like a dick.

Dater's always got an excuse for why he was late getting the scoop on something, or some info he got wrong. I started this year trying to give him a fresh start in my eyes, but he's just lost it for me at this point. He has the day off when the O'Reilly thing happens, and instead of saying well I better grab my **** and get down to the arena. This is a huge story, and lots of things could be going on, especially with Jay Feaster and the Flames in the same building with Sherman and the Avs.

The Avs end up matching it and where is Dater to cover the story? He's still just sitting on his couch eating potato chips or something, and we get **** all out of Chambers that day. Do your friggin job and be a reporter you idiots. You're telling me it's normal for reporters to just stay home when a huge story breaks? That's you job, to tell the damn news! Take another day off.

And if you want to hear from the Avs front office about the direction of the team, or how things are going, or just general comments forget that. You get one generic little speech at the end of the year capping up the season with a bunch of fluff and excuses.

It takes a huge calamity like the O'Reilly fiasco to get Sherman or anyone to talk during the season, and they left everyone in the dark the entire time until they announced they matched the offer sheet, and spewed out a bunch of BS. Then it was back with their head in the sand.

Only one little interview on the Avs site, and no video interviews from either beat reporter about the players reaction to O'Reilly. Just a couple comments from a couple guys.

Does anyone involved in this give a crap about the fans that pay the Avalanche players, front office, and owners their salaries? Especially with the amount of crap they've had to put up with with losses, struggles, lockouts, holdouts, lost fan favorites, and just a general apathy towards them from the team.

I feel completely taken for granted by this organization as a fan. After everything they've asked us to put up with, they need to do a better job of providing us with a better connection to the team and what's going on, and stop treating the pepsi center like the damn pentagon.

All we basically get from the team is just a "yea, yea, just pay your money at the gate, everything is gonna be fine. Let the grown ups handle this." And from the looks of things at the Post, I just picture Dater and Chambers sitting in an empty warehouse getting drunk, because no bosses or editors seem to work there or give a **** what kind of content their newspaper puts out. "It's gonna make the same amount of money either way, who cares, keep the little weasels on the payroll."
First you have to realize this is Denver, this isn't Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal etc. We are a mid level team, and lets face it the fans in Denver right now are probably more concerned with the Nuggets (who are actually good and surprisingly fun to watch even though I despise the NBA), and possibly the NCAA mens basketball as we have 3 legit teams around, than they are with the Avs continual mediocrity. The quicker you realize that the Avs are a secondary team in the market right now the better for you. It sucks but its the reality of things, when you lose no one cares, until they start winning no one is going to care. Sports are a what have you done for me lately business, and the Avs haven't done much of anything lately except spin their wheels and stay in mediocrity. If they start to win people will get more interested, thus everything you are complaining about will get better, because more people will actually care.

You want to complain about Dater and Chambers etc. thats fine you are entitled to your opinion, and I agree on some of it like the fact Chambers is a tard and that Dater seems to have mastered the lame excuse etc. I could nicely do without Chambers, but honestly Dater for the most part does OK for a beat writer. He is usually timely with his posts and typically has decent info. You can rip him all you want for not being there for the O'Reilly story, but you don't know the circumstances. Employers like the DP usually have mandated days off for their employees, mainly to keep costs down. When you have 2 people covering the team, the DP must have told Dater no work you on that specific day, Chambers will cover it, and he has no choice but to follow those instructions.

You can complain about the lack of updates on the website after losses, but what do you want? A bunch of videos of players spouting lame cliches? That sounds miserable. Outside of Duchenes one time outsburst when have you ever heard any player critique the team? Notice how Duchene has been pretty soft spoken since that incident, he was probably told to tune it down, don't want to create any drama.

I also have to ask when is the last time you've heard a GM of any team speak to the fans outside of "big breaking news"? You never see it because it doesn't happen. Can't blame Sherman for doing something that all GMs league wide do, which is keep their business private.

You can also complain all you want about the Alti-boobs but you can't blame them for not wanting to critique the team too harshly because the guy writing their checks owns the team and they know if they cross the bounds they can/will be easily replaced.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
  #5
Nzap
Insert clever phrase
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Krakůw
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 50
I actually think they've improved a bit in their marketing, but to improve 2 steps when you are 100 steps behind won't cut it.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
  #6
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 20,762
vCash: 134
Remember the official website back in 2002 lol never got updated for like 3 yrs

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
  #7
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
I'm sorry but these are all horrible excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
First you have to realize this is Denver, this isn't Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal etc. We are a mid level team, and lets face it the fans in Denver right now are probably more concerned with the Nuggets (who are actually good and surprisingly fun to watch even though I despise the NBA), and possibly the NCAA mens basketball as we have 3 legit teams around, than they are with the Avs continual mediocrity. The quicker you realize that the Avs are a secondary team in the market right now the better for you. It sucks but its the reality of things, when you lose no one cares, until they start winning no one is going to care. Sports are a what have you done for me lately business, and the Avs haven't done much of anything lately except spin their wheels and stay in mediocrity. If they start to win people will get more interested, thus everything you are complaining about will get better, because more people will actually care.
They had a bigger presence, and went much further out of their way to talk to the media from 96 up until around when they won their 2nd cup. Then they just shut down completely.

The fact that there are other bigger sports teams in the city has nothing to do with the way the Avalanche themselves approach the media, and the quality of writing and coverage from the two wirters who's sole job is to cover the Avalanche. Neither one of those things cares about the other sports teams, and if anything they should be trying their best to compete with them media wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
You want to complain about Dater and Chambers etc. thats fine you are entitled to your opinion, and I agree on some of it like the fact Chambers is a tard and that Dater seems to have mastered the lame excuse etc. I could nicely do without Chambers, but honestly Dater for the most part does OK for a beat writer. He is usually timely with his posts and typically has decent info. You can rip him all you want for not being there for the O'Reilly story, but you don't know the circumstances. Employers like the DP usually have mandated days off for their employees, mainly to keep costs down. When you have 2 people covering the team, the DP must have told Dater no work you on that specific day, Chambers will cover it, and he has no choice but to follow those instructions.
I gave Dater a clean slate this season, and backed him up a few times in different threads, but he quickly went back to what he does best. Spouting out incorrect facts about the CBA, missing breaking stories, and providing mediocre content and insight.

Unless you know for a fact Dater is legally prohibited to work when he has a day off, don't give him that excuse. You do know that reporters from every facet of the media will be on their day off, or sleeping, or out to dinner, or whatever and a big story will break and they will drop everything so that they can cover "the story." That's the business they're in. To tell the news. And these are media outlets with more than just one other guy.

The fact that he's usually timely is in no way an argument against his coverage being crap. He updates a few blogs a week, writes a few stories, and none of which really provides any info we didn't already know as Avalanche fans, except for injury updates which are few and far between because the Avalanche themselves tell you almost nothing except when they'll be back, usually the day or day before they're back. The Avs didn't bother to say EJ had an upper or lower body injury for like two or three days. There was zero interest in letting the fans know what happened when he got hit hard, stormed off the ice in a fury, and never returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
You can complain about the lack of updates on the website after losses, but what do you want? A bunch of videos of players spouting lame cliches? That sounds miserable. Outside of Duchenes one time outsburst when have you ever heard any player critique the team? Notice how Duchene has been pretty soft spoken since that incident, he was probably told to tune it down, don't want to create any drama.
I feel like you have the excuse machine in overdrive. I want a bunch of lame cliches? How about just some decent content, and don't make it so obvious that you shut down when you lose, and only really advertise your wins with content. It's pathetic.

I'm not sure which incident you're referring to, but if it's the one where Duchene was the only one giving an honest critique of the team underperforming, while Jones, and Sacco and others were doing their best to only point out the positives, this is indicative of the problem.

They think the fans are stupid, and won't know the difference. That if they only fart out rainbows, and only put up content during the wins, they can control the PR damage from terrible performances, sticking with crappy coaches, and ugly contract holdouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I also have to ask when is the last time you've heard a GM of any team speak to the fans outside of "big breaking news"? You never see it because it doesn't happen. Can't blame Sherman for doing something that all GMs league wide do, which is keep their business private.
What do you mean, you hear it all the time. GM's aren't usually media ****** like Burke, but that doesn't mean they have to be totally shrouded in silence like the Avs. PL and Sherman probably talk less than any other NHL front office in the league, and all it does is allow them to keep from being accountable. If they don't acknowledge any problems, they can keep on doing business as usual. It's just indicative of the whole secrecy campaign they have going on, and aligns with the rest of the things I've mentioned.

There's just no connection with the fans from the team whatsoever, and all it does is give the impression that they don't really care about them, apart from taking their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
You can also complain all you want about the Alti-boobs but you can't blame them for not wanting to critique the team too harshly because the guy writing their checks owns the team and they know if they cross the bounds they can/will be easily replaced.
Is this not a problem? They're borderline propagandists with their in house TV network pumping out a can't do any wrong mentality. I have no idea how Rycroft is still employed with them, he's literally the only one in that company that will give an honest critique.

There's no facet of media coverage for this team that is halfway decent, has quality content, or isn't told to suger coat everything. As a long time fan watching this get worse and worse from all angles year in and year out it's very frustrating with them continually losing, and getting in ugly contract disputes.

Give the fans something to chew on, that's all I'm saying. Care a little bit, rather than take them for granted and do the bare minimum. Somebody, whether it's the team themselves, or a newspaper that should have some decent standards for journalism.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:34 PM
  #8
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'm sorry but these are all horrible excuses.



They had a bigger presence, and went much further out of their way to talk to the media from 96 up until around when they won their 2nd cup. Then they just shut down completely.

The fact that there are other bigger sports teams in the city has nothing to do with the way the Avalanche themselves approach the media, and the quality of writing and coverage from the two wirters who's sole job is to cover the Avalanche. Neither one of those things cares about the other sports teams, and if anything they should be trying their best to compete with them media wise.



I gave Dater a clean slate this season, and backed him up a few times in different threads, but he quickly went back to what he does best. Spouting out incorrect facts about the CBA, missing breaking stories, and providing mediocre content and insight.

Unless you know for a fact Dater is legally prohibited to work when he has a day off, don't give him that excuse. You do know that reporters from every facet of the media will be on their day off, or sleeping, or out to dinner, or whatever and a big story will break and they will drop everything so that they can cover "the story." That's the business they're in. To tell the news. And these are media outlets with more than just one other guy.

The fact that he's usually timely is in no way an argument against his coverage being crap. He updates a few blogs a week, writes a few stories, and none of which really provides any info we didn't already know as Avalanche fans, except for injury updates which are few and far between because the Avalanche themselves tell you almost nothing except when they'll be back, usually the day or day before they're back. The Avs didn't bother to say EJ had an upper or lower body injury for like two or three days. There was zero interest in letting the fans know what happened when he got hit hard, stormed off the ice in a fury, and never returned.



I feel like you have the excuse machine in overdrive. I want a bunch of lame cliches? How about just some decent content, and don't make it so obvious that you shut down when you lose, and only really advertise your wins with content. It's pathetic.

I'm not sure which incident you're referring to, but if it's the one where Duchene was the only one giving an honest critique of the team underperforming, while Jones, and Sacco and others were doing their best to only point out the positives, this is indicative of the problem.

They think the fans are stupid, and won't know the difference. That if they only fart out rainbows, and only put up content during the wins, they can control the PR damage from terrible performances, sticking with crappy coaches, and ugly contract holdouts.



What do you mean, you hear it all the time. GM's aren't usually media ****** like Burke, but that doesn't mean they have to be totally shrouded in silence like the Avs. PL and Sherman probably talk less than any other NHL front office in the league, and all it does is allow them to keep from being accountable. If they don't acknowledge any problems, they can keep on doing business as usual. It's just indicative of the whole secrecy campaign they have going on, and aligns with the rest of the things I've mentioned.

There's just no connection with the fans from the team whatsoever, and all it does is give the impression that they don't really care about them, apart from taking their money.



Is this not a problem? They're borderline propagandists with their in house TV network pumping out a can't do any wrong mentality. I have no idea how Rycroft is still employed with them, he's literally the only one in that company that will give an honest critique.

There's no facet of media coverage for this team that is halfway decent, has quality content, or isn't told to suger coat everything. As a long time fan watching this get worse and worse from all angles year in and year out it's very frustrating with them continually losing, and getting in ugly contract disputes.

Give the fans something to chew on, that's all I'm saying. Care a little bit, rather than take them for granted and do the bare minimum. Somebody, whether it's the team themselves, or a newspaper that should have some decent standards for journalism.
Early on the Avs had a different ownership group, which led to things being run differently.

Not trying to make excuses for our beat writers, I wish they were better, but I'll let Dater slide on the O'Reilly thing because there was something up that day with his employers, Dater had a detailed blog up at approximately 1 AM Friday morning, and even made some comment about having to wait to post until then. Chambers on the other hand can just get fired he brings nothing to the table, he is worthless. Its not our beat writers fault that the Avs are tight lipped, how do you know that Dater wasn't trying to get the scoop on the EJ injury? He can't just make up whatever he feels, that would be way worse than not having an update. Its a two way street, the Avs have to be willing to give info as well.

You say you want decent info for the website, the question is where are you going to get it? The players? nope. The coach? nope. The assistants? nope. The equipment guy? nope. the trainer? nope. All the players and coaches do is sputter out some cliches win or loss. I'm not saying this is right its just the way things are. Is that due to ownership putting the clamps on negativity, is it just a lack of passionate players, who knows. So basically if you want more media coverage after games on the website, I'm sure they could post more but all it would be is useless dribble about trying harder, or playing 60 minutes etc. Its a give take relationship, for webmasters to make the site better they need better stuff from the team. Plain and simple.

I don't even know why you bother with Altitude, that is never going to change as long as Kroenke owns the team and the station. All the people employed there get their pay from Kroenke. Your kidding yourself if you think the employees are dumb enough to speak out against the team. Put yourself in their shoes for just a moment. You have the opportunity to rip apart the team that your boss put together or sugarcoat it. You can either do it and potentially get fired or you can kind of sugarcoat it and keep your nice high paying cushy job. If you choose option A you are a moron because cushy high paying jobs aren't frequent or easy to come by, and this why all the people working there choose option B. I'm with you I have no idea how Raycroft has a job, probably because Stan and Josh don't take the time to watch the postgame dribble because they hardly watch the real games. Do I think any of this is right? No. But that is what happens when you have a monopoly like Stan the man does.

So basically what it comes down to is that I agree with what you are saying mostly, but the part you seem to be missing is that it is unchangeable, due to how the team is run. You can either accept that this is probably as good as its going to get media wise for the Avs as long as Stan and Co. are in charge because this is how they like it, tight lipped and basically fan unfriendly or you can find a new team to cheer for that is very fan friendly, has a GM/owner like Brian Burke, has 10 different media outlets to give you information, and has a TV crew that isn't employed by the owner of the team so they can give more honest opinions without the fear of being fired.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:58 PM
  #9
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Early on the Avs had a different ownership group, which led to things being run differently.

Not trying to make excuses for our beat writers, I wish they were better, but I'll let Dater slide on the O'Reilly thing because there was something up that day with his employers, Dater had a detailed blog up at approximately 1 AM Friday morning, and even made some comment about having to wait to post until then. Chambers on the other hand can just get fired he brings nothing to the table, he is worthless. Its not our beat writers fault that the Avs are tight lipped, how do you know that Dater wasn't trying to get the scoop on the EJ injury? He can't just make up whatever he feels, that would be way worse than not having an update. Its a two way street, the Avs have to be willing to give info as well.

You say you want decent info for the website, the question is where are you going to get it? The players? nope. The coach? nope. The assistants? nope. The equipment guy? nope. the trainer? nope. All the players and coaches do is sputter out some cliches win or loss. I'm not saying this is right its just the way things are. Is that due to ownership putting the clamps on negativity, is it just a lack of passionate players, who knows. So basically if you want more media coverage after games on the website, I'm sure they could post more but all it would be is useless dribble about trying harder, or playing 60 minutes etc. Its a give take relationship, for webmasters to make the site better they need better stuff from the team. Plain and simple.

I don't even know why you bother with Altitude, that is never going to change as long as Kroenke owns the team and the station. All the people employed there get their pay from Kroenke. Your kidding yourself if you think the employees are dumb enough to speak out against the team. Put yourself in their shoes for just a moment. You have the opportunity to rip apart the team that your boss put together or sugarcoat it. You can either do it and potentially get fired or you can kind of sugarcoat it and keep your nice high paying cushy job. If you choose option A you are a moron because cushy high paying jobs aren't frequent or easy to come by, and this why all the people working there choose option B. I'm with you I have no idea how Raycroft has a job, probably because Stan and Josh don't take the time to watch the postgame dribble because they hardly watch the real games. Do I think any of this is right? No. But that is what happens when you have a monopoly like Stan the man does.

So basically what it comes down to is that I agree with what you are saying mostly, but the part you seem to be missing is that it is unchangeable, due to how the team is run. You can either accept that this is probably as good as its going to get media wise for the Avs as long as Stan and Co. are in charge because this is how they like it, tight lipped and basically fan unfriendly or you can find a new team to cheer for that is very fan friendly, has a GM/owner like Brian Burke, has 10 different media outlets to give you information, and has a TV crew that isn't employed by the owner of the team so they can give more honest opinions without the fear of being fired.
Here's the thing, you don't seem happy with it either, and if it doesn't bother you that they do next to nothing for their fans, and it's compounded by having only one newspaper do next to nothing, that's fine for you. I'd like to see somebody provide some decent coverage of the team.

You can paint the picture like it's either this bare minimum of mediocrity, or a bunch of lame cliches to the media, but those are not the only two options. Not whatsoever. The majority of NHL cities, not just the big ones, have decent coverage from a newspaper in some fashion. There's also much more effort given by the team to connect with the fans, the GM's provide a lot more info, and basically every team in the NHL make things more open.

The Avs don't have to suger coat everything. They don't have to take 2-3 days to explain what happened to EJ when fans want to know. They don't have to speak in platitudes about everything. They don't have to go into hiding when **** hits the fan, waiting for it to all blow over. They don't have to make a conscious decision not to update their video content after bad losses. They don't have to tell guys like Duchene not to give an honest critique of the team, if what you said is correct. They don't have to approach every public speaking event like they're only talking to first time fans that don't know anything. They don't have to instruct their play by play guy and color analysts to go out of their way to not criticize the team, and only focus on the positives. The Denver Post doesn't have to employee people that aren't that good at their jobs.

These are conscious decisions to do business this way. It's 2013 for christs sake, half the teenagers in the US can put together a better website and video content, and half the people on this board could probably right a more insightful and accurate news story about the Avs. It's a deliberate decision not to do so.

If you're just apathetic to that kind of thing, that's fine, and it looks like a lot of people are, but I'd like them not to just take my money, turn out a bad product each year during a rebuild, and just sit there smugly knowing I'll be back no matter what.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
  #10
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
I'm still fuming that the Avs had a sweetheart deal with The Fan, which had just moved to 104.3 FM, and tons of coverage, and yet walked away to buy their own radio station that was broadcast so weak I couldn't get reception in Boulder and I dare say had some trouble in parts of Denver. That's the problem with KSE, they're not interested in teaming up with media outlets, they want to own them so they can control the message.

Dater and Chambers are resorting to some of the same tricks that a lot of sportswriting has gone, unfortunately (trying to manufacture drama instead of just covering what happens on the ice) and it's really annoying. But as others have said, it's not like KSE gives them much to work with.

I think Sherman will avoid trading anyone until the last possible moment so that he can avoid having to talk to the press again.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:27 AM
  #11
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,512
vCash: 400
Feel free to take it up with the Colorado Avalanche complaint department.














oh, and take O'Byrne with you.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
  #12
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker
 
Wal Nichushkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 503
vCash: 50
My advice, when I get this mad about trivial things...oh wait, I don't.

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
  #13
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
My advice, when I get this mad about trivial things...oh wait, I don't.
I nominate this as the post of the thread.

Huis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
  #14
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I don’t think this thread is out of line.

Just compare this to the Islanders NHL page. I’d like to think we were at least better than the lowly Islanders organization.
http://islanders.nhl.com/index.html

For the game tonight, they have morning skate notes with injury updates, game notes published (Avs distribute this at Pepsi Center but not as detailed), and in general it looks like they have more relevant articles published about the team.

And to Foppa’s point, I can’t see any article in the recent news on the Avs site about a game they lost. But the Islanders do have some, with a lot of game information.

I think it’s very obvious the Avs only publish “good news” or they stay absolutely 100% silent. That’s pretty common policy over there it seems like.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
  #15
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
My advice, when I get this mad about trivial things...oh wait, I don't.
Wow what a shinny little rose you are.

As trivial as reading someone else's opinion, and feeling the need to explain how above them you are?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
  #16
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
My advice, when I get this mad about trivial things...oh wait, I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
I nominate this as the post of the thread.
It wouldn't be a message board without a healthy dose of condescension.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:55 AM
  #17
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 50
I don't think Avs are a small market team, and anyone calling them a small market team during a rebuild really confuses me.

I would say they are an average team in a rebuild that has the money to be a big player when the time is right.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
  #18
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,512
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I don't think Avs are a small market team, and anyone calling them a small market team during a rebuild really confuses me.

I would say they are an average team in a rebuild that has the money to be a big player when the time is right.
We won't know that until they start spending more money. They aren't selling the Pepsi center out anymore, so that may play a factor.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
  #19
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,092
vCash: 500
Unless you are the Broncos in this town...

bad teams dont get coverage.

I hate it too but its the way it is.

Avs For Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  #20
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I don't think Avs are a small market team, and anyone calling them a small market team during a rebuild really confuses me.

I would say they are an average team in a rebuild that has the money to be a big player when the time is right.
Agreed. They are a medium sized market with two Stanley Cups. That's more than a lot of teams can say.

There should be some pride involved in covering them, and from the team not to treat it's fans like sheep.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
  #21
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Unless you are the Broncos in this town...

bad teams dont get coverage.

I hate it too but its the way it is.
You guys keep saying this but that has nothing to do with the quality or effort put out by the Avalanche themselves, or by the Denver Post hockey writers.

Your point has to do with their pecking order with local and national media outlets, and how many people pay attention. I don't expect that to change, especially when they're losing.

If anything though the Avs should be trying to do a better job to gain more attention and fill up the arena again.

The Broncos have always been in town, and the Avs made more of an effort to connect with fans up until they won their 2nd cup, and then they just took them for granted, closed up shop, and force fed table spoons of sugar down their throat.

Clearly no one else is as sick of it as me, and that's fine, but I don't think what I'm saying is untrue.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
  #22
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29
 
Avs For Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You guys keep saying this but that has nothing to do with the quality or effort put out by the Avalanche themselves, or by the Denver Post hockey writers.

Your point has to do with their pecking order with local and national media outlets, and how many people pay attention. I don't expect that to change, especially when they're losing.

If anything though the Avs should be trying to do a better job to gain more attention and fill up the arena again.

The Broncos have always been in town, and the Avs made more of an effort to connect with fans up until they won their 2nd cup, and then they just took them for granted, closed up shop, and force fed table spoons of sugar down their throat.

Clearly no one else is as sick of it as me, and that's fine, but I don't think what I'm saying is untrue.
Thats just the thing though...if you arent winning and you arent playing at Coors Field because its an amazing ball park to go to on a summer night, people will only come for cheap or for free.

The best thing the Avs can do to raise attendance and publicity is to be relevant. Make the playoffs. Playoff games sell out like crazy. Look at the Nuggets. They have swapped with the Avs. In the late 90's early 2000's they were terrible. They were a joke. They rebuilt and are now contending in the playoffs every year. They get WAY more publicity than the Avs because they WIN. Not because of the sport. If they were to die off and be terrible again. Everyone would just go back to talking Broncos.

The Avs need to win...period. This is something the owners just dont get.

Avs For Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  #23
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Thats just the thing though...if you arent winning and you arent playing at Coors Field because its an amazing ball park to go to on a summer night, people will only come for cheap or for free.

The best thing the Avs can do to raise attendance and publicity is to be relevant. Make the playoffs. Playoff games sell out like crazy. Look at the Nuggets. They have swapped with the Avs. In the late 90's early 2000's they were terrible. They were a joke. They rebuilt and are now contending in the playoffs every year. They get WAY more publicity than the Avs because they WIN. Not because of the sport. If they were to die off and be terrible again. Everyone would just go back to talking Broncos.

The Avs need to win...period. This is something the owners just dont get.
Again I don't see this as an excuse for being lazy. It's a reason for why attendance is low, and that they don't get as much attention, but it's not an excuse to provide crappy coverage and content for a two time Stanley Cup winning team.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  #24
Ceremony
Moderator
Why Not Us?
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 66,553
vCash: 7418
I agree completely with the OP, though I think Dater and Chambers have been better this season.

I can't understand why anyone would say that the complete lack of any kind of coverage, any kind of meaningful fan interaction, any indication that anyone in the organisation cares about anyone who calls themself an Avalanche fan unless they're putting money into the Can somehow.

The argument that the Avs are a bad team is ridiculous, you should always be trying to increase brand awareness, trying to get more people interested in your product and it's not happening. It's one thing to support a team that can be crap on ice, it's another thing to support a team who offer no indication that they care if you do or not. Look at the Avalanche twitter. Over 100,000 followers, and it's absolutely painful to watch. I maintain that whoever runs that isn't a human being, because no person on this earth whose job it is to update that, the website, the facebook and whatever else could do so so unenthusastically, so mechanically and so mundanely.

I don't know what the Avs' marketing is like in Denver or in Colorado, but from what I can get here, it's embarrassing. In fact it's worse than that, it's borderline disgraceful that fans see a team perform so badly so often, a team which seems completely unwilling to try and improve itself be it in getting anything above a bottom pairing defenseman or getting rid of a coach who looks out of his depth doesn't even try and appease its fans on any meaningful level off the ice. In 2013, it isn't good enough. And the best bit is it doesn't seem like it'll change at any point in the near future.

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
  #25
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,445
vCash: 500
We have one of the worst beat reporters in the league imo. The problem with him is that he's a bit of a sideshow. The guy is always trying to get column hits and controversy. We'd honestly be better by just hiring some yes-girl who just reports and conducts interviews tbh. Dater's detrimental to the team to an extent.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.