HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Shermy and Bricky's Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I love the Beatles, too.

haven't heard enough of the Killers to say one way or the other.
RockLobster = Beatles Guru.

I've read enough books that others have called me an "Expert" on them (again, others, I'm too modest to give myself that label)

I have no idea what it is about The Killers, but I am drawn to all of their music. I became a big fan of them when their 3rd album "Day & Age" came out and I saw them live...they're a fantastic live band, quite possibly the best I've ever seen...and of the bands I've seen live, I'd consider that quite a feat

Bands I've seen live:

Metallica (4 times)
U2 (3 times)
Coldplay (2 times)
Paul McCartney (4 or 5 times)
Kings of Leon (1 time)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (2 times)
Roger Waters (1 time)
Nine Inch Nails (1 time)

And of all those bands, they all put on an entertaining show (Bono is truly an entertainer, he's a classic "showman") The Killers were bar none the best.

Incidentally enough...Coldplay may be one of the worst live bands. I like their music, so I have a good time at their shows, but Chris Martin really benefits from a Studio, he gets a chance to stretch his vocal chords, live shows, unless he just warms up all day, he has tendencies to crack sometimes.

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I love the Beatles, too.

haven't heard enough of the Killers to say one way or the other.
Ewwwwwwww,

Beatles are garbage and Killers are like a baby version of the Beatles. Ewwwwwwww. Sorry lobsta, but my Beatles hate is around the hate I have for throwball.

This is more like it

Probably my favourite 80s song and I am a HUGE 80s fan.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:07 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Ewwwwwwww,

Beatles are garbage and Killers are like a baby version of the Beatles. Ewwwwwwww.
You are on the thinnest of ice! (SNL reference)

Old
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
My hate for them is

1) Average 2 minute length songs
2) Very simple songs to create (no musical talent)
2) Love songs

=

Sellouts.

Sorry. I wish i didn't have this much hate for him, but I am a fan of bands with musical talent and they have none, so I have to hate them.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
#permaban SEPH

Old
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
#permaban SEPH

Old
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

#FireSEPH

Old
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
My hate for them is

1) Average 2 minute length songs
2) Very simple songs to create (no musical talent)
2) Love songs

=

Sellouts.

Sorry. I wish i didn't have this much hate for him, but I am a fan of bands with musical talent and they have none, so I have to hate them.
Which band are you talking about? Can't be The Beatles.

While their earlier stuff were, as you put it "simple Love Songs", from the album "Rubber Soul" onward they were nothing short of innovators.

And songs don't HAVE to be overly long to be good, just because a song is long doesn't automatically make it good. And, not to sound condescending, but saying that they have "no musical talent" would be an opinion, and one I would be disagreeing with.

Paul McCartney was ONLY the Bassist because no one else in the band wanted to be one (and he wasn't even their original bassist), Paul played piano (so did John and George and even Ringo a bit), Lead/Rhythm Guitar, Drums, and a host of other smaller/niche instruments.

John and Paul didn't know how to read music, they just knew how to play their instruments, and they knew how they wanted their songs to sound.

Interesting fact: The song "I'm Only Sleeping" was one of the first to experiment with backwards sounds. In fact, the song featured an interesting sound of what could be a called a "guitar duet" if you will, that George had done on his own in a 6 hour late-night recording session. George was meticulous in this regard, getting the part with the tape running backwards perfect, so that when it was reversed it would enhance the songs "dreamy mood". To do that, he recorded one guitar part with some fuzzy effects and the other was straightforward. Overall the entire process was about 9 hours of work. (including the 6 hour late-night session)

The Beatles were the first artist to include their lyrics on Album Sleeves.

Again, nothing short of innovators. You know they did something right when their last album came out 5/8/1970, and almost 43 years later their work is still standing the test of time.

If you're not talking about The Beatles in your quote...then I apologize

Old
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Rhaego

Quote:

#thatwasyearsago

#KILLSEPH

Old
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Which band are you talking about? Can't be The Beatles.

While their earlier stuff were, as you put it "simple Love Songs", from the album "Revolver" onward they were nothing short of innovators.
I agree that not all their songs are bad, but Pink Floyd was much more innovators to music than Beatles making the alternative genre.

Quote:
And songs don't HAVE to be overly long to be good, just because a song is long doesn't automatically make it good. And, not to sound condescending, but saying that they have "no musical talent" would be an opinion, and one I would be disagreeing with.
Yes to me it shows that you lack musical creativity, thus no talent.

Quote:
John and Paul didn't know how to read music, they just knew how to play their instruments, and they knew how they wanted their songs to sound.
You see this proves my point plus look at their concerts, 90% women and women have no musical talent. Sorry not trying to be sexist here, but they're keeping Disney radio in business, keeping N-SYNC in business, keeping Britney Spears in business, Keeping Owl city in business and keeping ****in Maroon 5 in business (probably the worst band in the history of the world).

Quote:
The Beatles were the first artist to include their lyrics on Album Sleeves.

Again, nothing short of innovators. You know they did something right when their last album came out 5/8/1970, and almost 43 years later their work is still standing the test of time.
They might've been innovators on albums, but far from music IMO.

I am not a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, but compare him to the Beatles in terms of talent and you will see a difference.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:51 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
I agree that not all their songs are bad, but Pink Floyd was much more innovators to music than Beatles making the alternative genre.

Yes to me it shows that you lack musical creativity, thus no talent.

You see this proves my point plus look at their concerts, 90% women and women have no musical talent. Sorry not trying to be sexist here, but they're keeping Disney radio in business, keeping N-SYNC in business, keeping Britney Spears in business, Keeping Owl city in business and keeping ****in Maroon 5 in business (probably the worst band in the history of the world).

They might've been innovators on albums, but far from music IMO.

I am not a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, but compare him to the Beatles in terms of talent and you will see a difference.
1) Pink Floyd were entirely different, they started as more of an 'Avant Garde' performance piece before shifting gears. They were innovators, but in different ways in my opinion

2) They stopped touring in 1966. They never toured off of Sgt. Pepper onwards, with the exception of their brief "Rooftop Concert" in 1969. And again, it was natural musical talent that allowed them to write and record without originally knowing how to read music. Women went to their concerts, but The Beatles were able to grow past the "Boy Band" image that got them to America and after that it was adults who were buying their music.

3) Jimi Hendrix, an innovator for guitarists, as an homage to Sgt. Pepper, learned to play it and did it live the weekend of its release (something that's awe-inspiring, he was true virtuoso)

4) Jimi and The Beatles were different types of artists, only brought together by their mutual friendship and the fact that they played "Rock and Roll" in the '60s. I don't think that a comparison could be made, their styles were too different.

But just an FYI, Jimi Hendrix didn't know how to read or write music, and he's a gifted musician. Just because a musician can't do it, doesn't mean they lack talent.

But you have your opinion, and it differs from mine. No reason we can't still be friends though!

Old
02-25-2013, 07:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
1) Pink Floyd were entirely different, they started as more of an 'Avant Garde' performance piece before shifting gears. They were innovators, but in different ways in my opinion
Pink Floyd = Music
The Beatles = Mainstream music

That is what they were innovators of, IMO. I have a strong hate for mainstream music which is filled with a bunch of sellouts. The main reason why I hate the Beatles.

Quote:
2) They stopped touring in 1966. They never toured off of Sgt. Pepper onwards, with the exception of their brief "Rooftop Concert" in 1969. And again, it was natural musical talent that allowed them to write and record without originally knowing how to read music. Women went to their concerts, but The Beatles were able to grow past the "Boy Band" image that got them to America and after that it was adults who were buying their music.
When you are already popular, you will continue to sell how bad it is. Remember how popular artists are when they die? I am not implying this entirely to the Beatles, but to different bands.

Quote:
3) Jimi Hendrix, an innovator for guitarists, as an homage to Sgt. Pepper, learned to play it and did it live the weekend of its release (something that's awe-inspiring, he was true virtuoso)
Again a lot of the bands I like, probably liked the Beatles, but I am comparing the musical talent between the bands. Jimi blows them out of the water, IMO.

Quote:
4) Jimi and The Beatles were different types of artists, only brought together by their mutual friendship and the fact that they played "Rock and Roll" in the '60s. I don't think that a comparison could be made, their styles were too different.

But just an FYI, Jimi Hendrix didn't know how to read or write music, and he's a gifted musician. Just because a musician can't do it, doesn't mean they lack talent.
I agree that they completely have different musical styles, I am just comparing musical talent. I also agree that you don't need to read music to be an amazing artist, Jimi showed that to us, but again his talent was probably one of the highest we will ever see.

Quote:
But you have your opinion, and it differs from mine. No reason we can't still be friends though!
Oh totally, I understand that my passion hate from them is quite annoying to you and other fans. I probably won't talk about them after this.

I LUV U ROCKIES!!!! <3

Old
02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Good post, interesting rebuttals.
The Beatles started out as "Mainstream Music" as you put it, but again, they moved away from that by the time "Rubber Soul" came out, and they were still selling albums.

And your disdain for them doesn't necessarily annoy me, because I understand that not everyone likes/loves them like I do. What will usually annoy me is when someone will say that the music world would be the same/better without them (something I've heard far too many times)...and that's something that I vehemently believe is just untrue.

If you don't like them, and can provide actual reasons, like you have just done, showing why you don't like them, then I'm fine with that. Because you're not just saying "I don't like them!" "Why not?" "Err....they're just dumb!"

***EDIT***

I put your quote as "Good Post" so to not have a lengthy quote. I was stating that your response was good

Old
02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Well nobody mentioned in this thread has anything on Little River Band

Old
02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Landeslog

Man walks into my Barnes & Nobles and asks me if we sell Kindles today.
Duuuuumb.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Oh GOD, that pic of Vai with his hair all windblown reminds me of the times I've had to endure one of his douchey performances in order to see Joe Satriani. Dude might be talented but he's a supreme tool.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:18 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
The Beatles started out as "Mainstream Music" as you put it, but again, they moved away from that by the time "Rubber Soul" came out, and they were still selling albums.
They are the kings and origin of mainstream music, that is why I have to hate them.....because of the artists of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Oh GOD, that pic of Vai with his hair all windblown reminds me of the times I've had to endure one of his douchey performances in order to see Joe Satriani. Dude might be talented but he's a supreme tool.
Agreed. I think he has some insanely good songs, but not a fan overall.

Satriani's "Sulfing with the Alien" is amazing song. Love the bass and can't forget Gary Hoey,

Old
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Pink Floyd = Music
The Beatles = Mainstream music
Honestly, I think you need to understand what "mainstream music" was before the Beatles arrived. John and Paul grew up listening to R&B/Motown records and brought that sort of bluesy, soulful edge to mainstream music. Elvis created rock and roll, the Beatles made it mainstream.

To show you just how far above everyone else the Beatles were, right when they were starting out, there were Gerry and the Pacemakers.

They had this hit, and for a brief time served as a rival, but once the Beatles started introducing innovations that had never been seen before in popular music, they faded pretty quickly.

There's a reason why the music world is littered with one-hit wonders and yet the Beatles have been immortalized. And no, not all of their songs sound the same. You could make that argument in their Ed Sullivan-esque beginnings, but they definitely diversified and experimented with a number of different sounds from all over the world, and were largely successful with all of them.

Honestly I think debates like this are good ones--I certainly don't think people need to blindly accept the Beatles' greatness as gospel, but I think the Beatles deserve the accolades, much like Michael Jackson did in his heyday when it comes to pop.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
They are the kings and origin of mainstream music, that is why I have to hate them.....because of the artists of today.

Agreed. I think he has some insanely good songs, but not a fan overall.

Satriani's "Sulfing with the Alien" is amazing song. Love the bass and can't forget Gary Hoey,

Yes, LOVE that rendition.

Satch always, always puts on a good show. The best "G3" show I've been to was when he brought along John Petrucci. I'm not a huge Dream Theatre fan, but the guy can jam.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
The Shermanator
#AvaloungeRevolution

Uh oh... Ceremony just got Twitter.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Speaking of Twitter, apologies in advance if I litter your Twitter feed with back-and-forth arguments with the Burgundy Brigade people.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Honestly, I think you need to understand what "mainstream music" was before the Beatles arrived. John and Paul grew up listening to R&B/Motown records and brought that sort of bluesy, soulful edge to mainstream music. Elvis created rock and roll, the Beatles made it mainstream.

To show you just how far above everyone else the Beatles were, right when they were starting out, there were Gerry and the Pacemakers.

OMG that song was bad, you can say that I hate anything that sounds like the Beatles or close to it. Doesn't matter if they came from before or after. Also Elvis was hella overrated as well,

Beatles made mainstream music
Elvis solidified it.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
The Shermanator
#AvaloungeRevolution

Classic rock stinks!

Old
02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
RockLobster = Beatles Guru.

I've read enough books that others have called me an "Expert" on them (again, others, I'm too modest to give myself that label)

I have no idea what it is about The Killers, but I am drawn to all of their music. I became a big fan of them when their 3rd album "Day & Age" came out and I saw them live...they're a fantastic live band, quite possibly the best I've ever seen...and of the bands I've seen live, I'd consider that quite a feat

Bands I've seen live:

Metallica (4 times)
U2 (3 times)
Coldplay (2 times)
Paul McCartney (4 or 5 times)
Kings of Leon (1 time)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (2 times)
Roger Waters (1 time)
Nine Inch Nails (1 time)

And of all those bands, they all put on an entertaining show (Bono is truly an entertainer, he's a classic "showman") The Killers were bar none the best.

Incidentally enough...Coldplay may be one of the worst live bands. I like their music, so I have a good time at their shows, but Chris Martin really benefits from a Studio, he gets a chance to stretch his vocal chords, live shows, unless he just warms up all day, he has tendencies to crack sometimes.
OK, saying I "love" the Beatles might have been an exaggeration. I like them, but I'm not the guru that you are. I'm not even well informed when it comes to them.

I have to admit, I like Pink Floyd more than the Beatles. Usually. But there are times when I would much rather hear the Beatles than Floyd.

I've never seen either live, though. I've been to literally hundreds of concerts between 1978 and 1990. I used to sleep in line for concerts. I'd pay a friend or two to wait with me. I'd buy 10 tickets with each guy I had in line (you could do that back then) and then sell for a massive profit. I'd get my tickets (me and a date), my ride, my party, my T-shirt, etc for free, and still have $$$ left over. Since I waited in line, for days at times, I always sat in the first 5 rows. I have picks, sticks, and various other souvenirs. (I also have hearing damage and brain damage from it, but YOLO).

I lived for music when I was younger. Now, though, I live for my family. But, I'll never be too old to rock and roll, and I'm too young too die...

Old
02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Best live act I think I've ever seen was Pearl Jam. And this is coming from someone who grew up in the 90s and thought they were wildly overrated.

Closed Thread