HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle (The "He just plain sucks" Edition)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
  #626
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,247
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think there are many who would disagree with this. His most fierce supporters think he's played very poorly but there's no reasonable alternatives.


Everytime Boyle falls down the Rangers lose a point in the standings.
if that were truly the case, we would have negative point right now.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
  #627
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Konopka FO% last three years: .577 .589 .596

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  #628
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Konopka FO% last three years: .577 .589 .596
Konopka is an elite faceoff guy. He can fight and he's a leader. But, he is a 4th liner because his offense is offensive. Anyway, we didn't get him so, put BB on the 4th line. If we can bring in a legitimate 3C we should.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
  #629
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,869
vCash: 500
bump

Not a good game again. I don't think I've said "nice play Boyle" all season.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
  #630
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,423
vCash: 500
Boyle is a good defense player. Black hole offensively.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
  #631
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
He really belongs on the 4th line.. I would even put Halpern at 3C at this point.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
  #632
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
He really belongs on the 4th line.. I would even put Halpern at 3C at this point.
+1 on this idea. Boyle has been horrendous. He should sit when Richards returns, and a guy like Ferriero, or Gilroy even, should take Bickel's spot until Asham is off IR.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
  #633
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,509
vCash: 500
Here's a discouraging stat.

Last season, Boyle had 165 SOG in 82 games.
This year, he has 17 SOG in 18 games.

The man has turned into an offensive black hole. And I mean offensive in both meanings of the word.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
  #634
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,869
vCash: 500
He is solid defensively. He just kills the team's scoring depth as 3rd line C. Halpern is skating much better I'd like to see this when Richards comes back:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Pyatt - Richards - Gaborik
Miller - Halpern - Callahan
Haley/Asham - Boyle - Powe

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  #635
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
He is solid defensively. He just kills the team's scoring depth as 3rd line C. Halpern is skating much better I'd like to see this when Richards comes back:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Pyatt - Richards - Gaborik
Miller - Halpern - Callahan
Haley/Asham - Boyle - Powe
This, this could work.. I like it.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
  #636
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
He is solid defensively. He just kills the team's scoring depth as 3rd line C. Halpern is skating much better I'd like to see this when Richards comes back:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Pyatt - Richards - Gaborik
Miller - Halpern - Callahan
Haley/Asham - Boyle - Powe
I like this too.
He can replace Miller in late game situations for defensive FO's. I trust Boyle more than Halpern at this stage in the circle.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 AM
  #637
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Here's a discouraging stat.

Last season, Boyle had 165 SOG in 82 games.
This year, he has 17 SOG in 18 games.

The man has turned into an offensive black hole. And I mean offensive in both meanings of the word.
Also this has happened with him getting more offensive zone starts than last season, his spot on the team has been usurped by Halpern

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
  #638
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Also this has happened with him getting more offensive zone starts than last season, his spot on the team has been usurped by Halpern
Agreed. If the kids in HFD keep impressing as they have recently and Richie and Asham heal up any time soon, I'd be looking to move him at the deadline (much as I'm sure Torts would resist).

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:08 AM
  #639
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,360
vCash: 500
He is a 4th line center. The problem is with the injury to Richards and Kreider not performing this season the Rangers have (5) 4th liner in their line-up on a nightly basis.

Boyle
Powe
Halpern
Bickel
Haley/Asham

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:08 AM
  #640
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
He is solid defensively. He just kills the team's scoring depth as 3rd line C. Halpern is skating much better I'd like to see this when Richards comes back:

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Pyatt - Richards - Gaborik
Miller - Halpern - Callahan
Haley/Asham - Boyle - Powe
Like those lines, Boyle and Powe belong on 4th line, both excellent PK's also

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
  #641
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I like this too.
He can replace Miller in late game situations for defensive FO's. I trust Boyle more than Halpern at this stage in the circle.
Halpern is the best faceoff guy we have. If Boyle remains on this team it now appears he needs to be a 4th line winger and pk guy. JT is our 3rd line center when Richie gets back. It is good for a 4th line to have two guys who can take draws especially if one is a righty and the other is a lefty. btw, Step is getting better at draws and is being used in situations where Boyle was always used. If BB can be dealt for anything he should be. The cap hit is too much for a completely redundant player with absolutely no offensive skill.

20 something games into this season it appears that Prust was carrying BB for these last couple of years; at least offensively.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
  #642
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Halpern is the best faceoff guy we have. If Boyle remains on this team it now appears he needs to be a 4th line winger and pk guy. JT is our 3rd line center when Richie gets back. It is good for a 4th line to have two guys who can take draws especially if one is a righty and the other is a lefty. btw, Step is getting better at draws and is being used in situations where Boyle was always used. If BB can be dealt for anything he should be. The cap hit is too much for a completely redundant player with absolutely no offensive skill.

20 something games into this season it appears that Prust was carrying BB for these last couple of years; at least offensively.
perfect!! miller is a center and plays way more effective there... boyle is great defensively but needs to play wing going forward or halpern needs to play wing.. either way i think miller is 3c going forward.. either way tho i like boyle, still think hes a great teammate and great player for us..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
  #643
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,045
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Halpern is the best faceoff guy we have. If Boyle remains on this team it now appears he needs to be a 4th line winger and pk guy. JT is our 3rd line center when Richie gets back.
I don't see it happening. If Miller goes to third line center, then who are his wingers, Powe and Pyatt? Despite your objections, Powe is no better offensively than Boyle. Tortorella doesn't like Miller at center (last night he said he can be a dummy at times). If you're going to have one player who is not producing offensively, might as well improve the defense of the line.

I think, unless Boyle picks up his play in a hurry, the Rangers will be players for a 3rd line center at the deadline.

Also, I find the idea of Brandon Prust carrying a player offensively (especially a player that has outproduced him in every season) hilarious.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
  #644
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't see it happening. If Miller goes to third line center, then who are his wingers, Powe and Pyatt? Despite your objections, Powe is no better offensively than Boyle. Tortorella doesn't like Miller at center (last night he said he can be a dummy at times). If you're going to have one player who is not producing offensively, might as well improve the defense of the line.

I think, unless Boyle picks up his play in a hurry, the Rangers will be players for a 3rd line center at the deadline.

Also, I find the idea of Brandon Prust carrying a player offensively (especially a player that has outproduced him in every season) hilarious.
I think by year's end Kreider will be back. So, you have Step center Hags and Nash, Richie centers Gabby and Pyatt and Miller centers Cally and CK. All three lines can create scoring chances. If CK doesn't return then I agree we will be in the market for a 3rd line center.

As for Torts' comment about Miller, he said it with love and you can tell he is very pleased with what he is getting from the kid. If the 4th line is Boyle, Halp and Powe then you have a 4th line to trust in defensive situations and your 3rd line can provide secondary scoring and energy and not be used in defensive situations; at least not until JT gets a little smarter and more conservative in the D zone.

Prust is doing some good things offensively for the Habs. I never would have thought he had that talent but it appears he does. So, it is feasible that he made BB and we just didn't realize it. Him and lady luck.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:59 AM
  #645
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
"Other guys were playing better," Tortorella said of his decision to have Boyle watch from the press box.

Although it was assumed that Richards' return to the lineup would mean either Micheal Haley or Stu Bickel would sit, Boyle was the odd man out. Tortorella opted for rookie J.T. Miller and Jeff Halpern as his third and fourth-line centers and, once again, Boyle's role with the team appears nebulous.

Tortorella said he has not liked Boyle's game of late.

"We're hoping Brian becomes part of it," Tortorella said, "but he certainly has to do more than what he has."
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...cratched-again

A change from the last time Boyle was a healthy scratch when Torts said Boyle is a part of our team and we need him.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:26 AM
  #646
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,448
vCash: 500
If rupp can be dealt w a yr left around same money then Boyle can too. He's proving to be an expensive 4th liner and they can do better. I expect him gone by the deadline now. Wasn't sure before but some team will give him a shot

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:51 AM
  #647
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...cratched-again

A change from the last time Boyle was a healthy scratch when Torts said Boyle is a part of our team and we need him.
Writing on the wall at this point. It seems his days are numbered here.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:55 AM
  #648
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If rupp can be dealt w a yr left around same money then Boyle can too. He's proving to be an expensive 4th liner and they can do better. I expect him gone by the deadline now. Wasn't sure before but some team will give him a shot
rupp can fight, what can boyle do?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:26 AM
  #649
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
rupp can fight, what can boyle do?
Pk and come on he's better than Rupp, younger too

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:28 AM
  #650
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Torts uses a lefty to take faceoffs in the left wing circle. Righty at the right wing circle. Richards and Miller are lefties. Stepan and Halpern are righties. They can draw the puck back on their backend into the corner.Powe can play in the middle. Boyle is a great guy. Great teammate. His cap hit doesn't match his production.Lindberg at $800K will give the Sather more bang for the puck next season. Hopefully Lindberg can be the Rangers Kruger who has been a key player for the Hawks. Miller,Pyatt,Powe and Halpern make up 4 of the bottom six.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.