HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Toughness or lack thereof

Old
03-06-2013, 06:33 PM
chipsens

vCash: 500
...I'm still pissed from the first game of the season in Winnipeg, when Antropov came after Alfie and cross-checked him several times on the lower back/hip. Alfie slashed him back, but the response from other Sens was...nil. Total lack of respect. And foreboding. If Carkner and/or Konopka had been in the line-up?...

...and would we still have a healthy Karlsson?!

chipsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:48 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsens View Post
...and would we still have a healthy Karlsson?!
The Bruins had Chara, Lucic, Thornton etc. etc. in their lineup and last time I checked Marc Savard's career was still over.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
The Bruins had Chara, Lucic, Thornton etc. etc. in their lineup and last time I checked Marc Savard's career was still over.
The league would have to remove the instigator rule to take care of players like Cooke. Like you said, the Bruins were one of the toughest teams in the league when Cooke took out Savard. Having a "tougher" team or having a few enforcers cold act as a bit of a deterrent against players like Cooke but it mostly helps build the teams confidence.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
The league would have to remove the instigator rule to take care of players like Cooke. Like you said, the Bruins were one of the toughest teams in the league when Cooke took out Savard. Having a "tougher" team or having a few enforcers cold act as a bit of a deterrent against players like Cooke but it mostly helps build the teams confidence.
And that's why the league needs to get rid of the instigator. It'll never happen of course. The league will ban fighting before that happens but it just goes to show you how you can't stop these predators from doing what they do while the league protects them. Just play the roster that gives you the best chance of winning.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:06 PM
chipsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Last time I saw him, Gretsky still had all of his own teeth, and Marty McSorley was still his close friend.

Question: How many cheapshots have been prevented by having an effective enforcer as a deterrent?
Answer: You can't count something that never happened.

chipsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

Now DD is gone for the game, which sucks because he's been playing well.. We need someone who can take care of the Orr's/ McLaren's, etc

I hate losing games/fights to these *******s

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
jbeck5

aaannndd someone needs to teach DD how to fight against NHL fighters...wow out cold.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Legend Killer

Staged fights are lame...

Fight a guy for absolutely no reason 30 seconds into a game but nobody is anywhere to be found when guys are taking cheapshots.

Seems about right.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsens View Post
Last time I saw him, Gretsky still had all of his own teeth, and Marty McSorley was still his close friend.
That's a completely different era without the instigator rule. And GRETSKY? Are you kidding me? That should be an automatic ban.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
aaannndd someone needs to teach DD how to fight against NHL fighters...wow out cold.
Fight really got the leafs going

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Berserker*

If the Senators are unable to find a viable option to improve the toughness on the trade market, it could be worthwhile to sign a legitimate enforcer for a few select games. Those games are:

Sat. March 30 vs Leafs
Thu. April 11 vs Flyers
Sat April 20 vs Leafs
Mon. April 22 vs Penguins
Sat. April 27 vs Flyers

The only legitimate heavyweight enforcers that are still available on the free agent market are those that were playing in the KHL. Out of the enforcers in that league Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies would be the best options.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:03 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Intimidation & Fighting Does Work Sometimes

That fight set the stage for the game, it seems to be a thing with Carlyle to start each game with a fight, seemed to have worked for him today. Could be the last time we have seen DD play for Ottawa but I think Stone will be here for a while. Too bad to because he was playing fairly well for them. Whoever said the last time these two teams met that DD could handle McClaren do you still think so?

After the fight TO pushed us all over the ice for the rest of the period, Ottawa clawed back slowly in the 2nd than after that fifth Ottawa goal another gutsy effort by Ottawa to score two more. I thought Ottawa players were intimidated throughout the first period & into the second but they did start to fight back slowly in the second & then again mid way through the third.

I take back what I said about Neil not being in Orr's league, I believe he fed Orr a few good shots in the side of the head & won the fight. Neil is one tough SOB, now what this team needs is another guy just like Neil who is about 4 inches taller. I also thought that Bishop didn't have his best game tonight. TO has a very big defence, Carlyle seems to like a big tough defence & a big tough fourth line.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I think our team has toughness, but we lack a true heavyweight. Ideally we could get a true heavyweight that can actually play, too. Cowen could be that guy in a couple of years if he decided to be. He has the mean streak in him and he's strong as an ox. One could argue you'd rather have him on the ice...but sometimes showing that our team is willing to drop them can stop the other team from taking liberties.

You'd be hard pressed to find any player like Neil out there in the league. One of the very few mid to small sized guys that will stand up to anyone, and has never really taken a beating. He smarts fight, and he wears his heart on his sleeve -- he even got the better of Orr today which says something about Neil.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I think our team has toughness, but we lack a true heavyweight. Ideally we could get a true heavyweight that can actually play, too. Cowen could be that guy in a couple of years if he decided to be. He has the mean streak in him and he's strong as an ox. One could argue you'd rather have him on the ice...but sometimes showing that our team is willing to drop them can stop the other team from taking liberties.

You'd be hard pressed to find any player like Neil out there in the league. One of the very few mid to small sized guys that will stand up to anyone, and has never really taken a beating. He smarts fight, and he wears his heart on his sleeve -- he even got the better of Orr today which says something about Neil.
We'll see what Kramer & Sdao can do within the next few yrs. Tom Wilson could be that Neil type big man.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:56 AM
God Says No

we need a staged fighter like we need another injury. we didn't lose the game because of lack of a heavyweight. a heavyweight wouldn't have done anything today except maybe have the staged fight in the first minute and not get knocked out.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:23 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I will say that I'd like Neil to fight a little more now. I realize he can't go back to his old pace but I'd like a scuffle once in awhile at home.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
That fight set the stage for the game, it seems to be a thing with Carlyle to start each game with a fight, seemed to have worked for him today. Could be the last time we have seen DD play for Ottawa but I think Stone will be here for a while. Too bad to because he was playing fairly well for them. Whoever said the last time these two teams met that DD could handle McClaren do you still think so?

After the fight TO pushed us all over the ice for the rest of the period, Ottawa clawed back slowly in the 2nd than after that fifth Ottawa goal another gutsy effort by Ottawa to score two more. I thought Ottawa players were intimidated throughout the first period & into the second but they did start to fight back slowly in the second & then again mid way through the third.

I take back what I said about Neil not being in Orr's league, I believe he fed Orr a few good shots in the side of the head & won the fight. Neil is one tough SOB, now what this team needs is another guy just like Neil who is about 4 inches taller. I also thought that Bishop didn't have his best game tonight. TO has a very big defence, Carlyle seems to like a big tough defence & a big tough fourth line.

Yes, perhaps the fight intimidated Bishop so much that he was leaving tons of rebonds and generally having a bad night.

When's the last time Ottawa had a good 1st period? I can't really remember one this season. We started flat because we always start flat. As far as DD handling McLaren, that's not his job, nor should it be, but KO's like that happen from time to time even to the best of them. Using fights as intimidation works about as often as it back fires, but most of the time it has no effect.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:18 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Yes, perhaps the fight intimidated Bishop so much that he was leaving tons of rebonds and generally having a bad night.

When's the last time Ottawa had a good 1st period? I can't really remember one this season. We started flat because we always start flat. As far as DD handling McLaren, that's not his job, nor should it be, but KO's like that happen from time to time even to the best of them. Using fights as intimidation works about as often as it back fires, but most of the time it has no effect.
Why was DD targetted so early is my question - he's not a fighter and MacLaren certainly is. Code breaker for me. Why does Neil then fight Orr - fight MacLaren and go all Carkner on him. Carkner would have. Hate staged fights. Send them both off for the night.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:26 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Why was DD targetted so early is my question - he's not a fighter and MacLaren certainly is. Code breaker for me. Why does Neil then fight Orr - fight MacLaren and go all Carkner on him. Carkner would have. Hate staged fights. Send them both off for the night.
I agree, Maclaren should be ashamed. He evidently started goading DD into fight as soon as he got on the ice;going after a rookie was nothing to be proud of.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
sg58

MacLaren's one and only purpose in the league is to punch faces, of course he's gonna take every chance he gets to punch someone in the face. Don't think any blame should be put on him.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I agree, Maclaren should be ashamed. He evidently started goading DD into fight as soon as he got on the ice;going after a rookie was nothing to be proud of.
He didn't look all that proud to me after the fight. Listen to his interview after the game. DD turned down the fight then dropped the gloves. McLaren thought he wasn't gonna scrap. It's not like McLaren jumped him off the faceoff or something. DD knew what he was getting into, well, sort of.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
He didn't look all that proud to me after the fight. Listen to his interview after the game. DD turned down the fight then dropped the gloves. McLaren thought he wasn't gonna scrap. It's not like McLaren jumped him off the faceoff or something. DD knew what he was getting into, well, sort of.
TSN said Maclaren seemed mortified afterwards and he should have been.A heaveyweight goading a rookie into a staged fight.

No doubt DD should not have agreed,but then again he is a rookie needing to prove his worth which Maclaren understood when he issued his challenge.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I always though Neil played better when there was another enforcer in the line-up (Gratts or Carkner)

That said, I also think we need tougher players on our top 6 and on D. Nobody is hitting.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
I always though Neil played better when there was another enforcer in the line-up (Gratts or Carkner)

That said, I also think we need tougher players on our top 6 and on D. Nobody is hitting.
We traded our most physical top 6 forward. Apparently we had a bunch of guys who could do what he did.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Bileur

There is nothing wrong with what McLaren did, if DD didn't want to fight he should have kept the gloves on.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote