HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Team Toughness or lack thereof

Old
03-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Human Megaphone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
We traded our most physical top 6 forward. Apparently we had a bunch of guys who could do what he did.
Foligno? You think that's the problem?

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
There is nothing wrong with what McLaren did, if DD didn't want to fight he should have kept the gloves on.
This.

DD is a big guy, McLaren had likely never even heard of. For all he new he was a fighter.

TBH, my issue is that the coaching staff or veteran fighters (neil) need to make sure everyone on the team is aware who the heavyweights are. If DD didn't know, its on them. If he did (the more likely scenario) then he made his choice and will live with it.

All that said, I really see no place for these kind of fights. If you ask me, a fight in the 1st minute like that should be more than just a 5 min. Maybe 10 or a game would help discourage these pointless spectacles.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
Foligno? You think that's the problem?
Not at all. He said we need tougher players and guys that hit in our top 6. We had one and traded him.

He would be a valuable player to have in the mix, no question about it.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

We need our top 6 players to play a bit more physical but it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that can play a hard-nose style in our top 6.

Next summer, I hope we're all over Brendan Morrow

Our D is pretty soft too, even with Cowen.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
We need our top 6 players to play a bit more physical but it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that can play a hard-nose style in our top 6.

i heard morrow is done. he's not the same player as before. i'd love a guy like simmonds in the top 6, but that's going to be hard to find.

i disagree that our d is soft. once cowen comes back we could potentially have methot, cowen, (possibly) gryba, phillips all playing.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Our D is big but other than Cowen and Methot, it doesn't hurt to get in our kitchen.

Gryba is not really part of our D. He's in the lineup because we're missing a few regulars and Phillips doesn't engage. He's not scaring anybody.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 03-07-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: dude.
Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
I think with a healthy defense, we are tough enough on the back. It's the forwards I'm concerned with. Ottawa has never had a gritty top 6 forward, and I don't think we'll ever win a cup until we get that. The closest thing we had to that was Fisher but he was more of a glorified 3rd liner. At least 1 physical top 6 forward (Hopefully Noesen develops into this? Maybe add another prospect this year like Hartman) and another Chris Neil in the bottom six and I like our chances going in the playoffs when we are a little more developed..

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
I think with a healthy defense, we are tough enough on the back. It's the forwards I'm concerned with. Ottawa has never had a gritty top 6 forward, and I don't think we'll ever win a cup until we get that. The closest thing we had to that was Fisher but he was more of a glorified 3rd liner. At least 1 physical top 6 forward (Hopefully Noesen develops into this? Maybe add another prospect this year like Hartman) and another Chris Neil in the bottom six and I like our chances going in the playoffs when we are a little more developed..
i'm alright with adding a gritty top 6 guy (simmonds, hartnell, perry types). but they are expensive as hell to get. i think that will have to come from the inside. like you mentioned neosen.

as for another neil. first of all that's hard to find and not necessary right now. i'd prefer to add some skill first. we have plenty of bottom six grit.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:23 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
as for another neil. first of all that's hard to find and not necessary right now. i'd prefer to add some skill first. we have plenty of bottom six grit.
I kind of agree with this, but I'd prefer another Neil over someone like Daugavins when we're ready to contend, this can wait for another year or two. But I'd like to see it eventually.

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:51 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
I kind of agree with this, but I'd prefer another Neil over someone like Daugavins when we're ready to contend, this can wait for another year or two. But I'd like to see it eventually.
yeah, i don't think there is room for daug moving forward. too many young guys coming up and not enough spots.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

We just need to draft Ryan Hartman...

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
We just need to draft Ryan Hartman...
A guy who wont be ready for about 3 years isn't the answer for right now

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Xspyrit

Oh ya, I forgot, I came to this thread to post this :

Total: Hits

5 OTTAWA 327 166 155 114 108 282 166 171 93 66 609

Sens are 5th in hits for the whole NHL

Also first for missed shots (326, 2nd team has 305). Stop missing the net guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

I didn't read this thread because I don't want to get involved and not really interested in this talk, but I strongly disagree.

Methot, Cowen, Gryba, Borowiecki, Blood, Sdao = that's a lot of size/muscles. They aren't all in the NHL but most of them (at least 3) will be part of our defense

Phillips is not soft at all too, just not mean. He won't be around for 5 more years anyway

Karlsson is "soft" if you want but who cares? Same with Gonchar, those guys are not paid to be physical. And Sergei is gone soon anyway.

Wiercioch isn't very physical but he just started growing in his body. He has great size so he won't be pushed around when all is said and done

Benoit is small but doesn't play scared at all. He's just a stop gap anyway

Can you guys show me big physical defenses? And forward groups too?

Grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 03-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Oh ya, I forgot, I came to this thread to post this :

Total: Hits

5 OTTAWA 327 166 155 114 108 282 166 171 93 66 609

Sens are 5th in hits for the whole NHL

Also first for missed shots (326, 2nd team has 305). Stop missing the net guys.

I didn't read this thread because I don't want to get involved and not really interested in this talk, but I strongly disagree.

Methot, Cowen, Gryba, Borowiecki, Blood, Sdao = that's a lot of size/muscles. They aren't all in the NHL but most of them (at least 3) will be part of our defense

Phillips is not soft at all too, just not mean. He won't be around for 5 more years anyway

Karlsson is "soft" if you want but who cares? Same with Gonchar, those guys are not paid to be physical. And Sergei is gone soon anyway.

Wiercioch isn't very physical but he just started growing in his body. He has great size so he won't be pushed around when all is said and done

Benoit is small but doesn't play scared at all. He's just a stop gap anyway

Can you guys show me big physical defenses? And forward groups too?

Grass is always greener on the other side syndrome.
Having a lot of hits doesn't mean you have a tough team either. One of the problems with our team is having so many big players who are either not very tough or not very good fighters or not very mean or soft as butter like Latendresse or too nice like Phillips. As long as stage fighting is part of the NHL & there are teams like Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, NYR & the Leafs you have to have a few guys to protect your elite players. Martin turned the other cheek & Quinn & the leafs took advantage & intimidated the smaller pacifist players. At least this team doesn't quit & continues to fight until the last whistle unlike some previous teams. Remember when McGratton dropped Domi, that ended any cheap shot against Ottawa players while Murray was behind the bench & McGratton dressed. I heard Laroque wants to return to the NHL.

Watching Boston the other night against the Leafs it looked to me like it was TO that was being intimidated by Boston's big tough team. And it was hilarious to see Seguin score two against them, the fans in Boston shout out ... than you Kessel ... everytime Seguin scores Boston has a lot of ghosts against Montreal who are very fast but small & soft ... and divers & cry babies. The refs never seem to allow Boston to man handle Montreal the way they do against other teams. Would love to see a full out brawl between Montreal & Boston & watch Boston mop the ice with them, same with the stinking Leafs. Would love to see Ottawa stick up for themselves the way Boston & the Leafs do.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Greening-Turris-Silfverberg
Dziurzynski-Zibanejad-Neil
Laraque-Smith-Parros

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post

BGL's time in Montreal showed he didn't really want to fight anymore. I don't expect retirement to have changed his mind. There was very little aggressiveness in his game, he'd fight because he had to, he didn't seem to want to enforce or defend his teammates.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

The Playoffs will determine how tough we are, time will tell!

But don't worry, if we don't do it tis year, there's always next year, or the year after or the year after that, until finally Murray moves on!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Somewhere it was mentioned that Laraque was not an option for this team but Chirp has mentioned Parros who could be a good fit. He is basically what we need a legitimate experienced heavyweight who would only play against certain teams.

Chirp also mentioned Cullen who would also be a decent addition for the remainder of the season & he can play either centre or wing, has lots of experience & was very good offensively when he was here before.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Bump

Not so worried right now

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
Having five fights simultaneously was great.

Winning 4 of them outright, and drawing the 5th, was AWESOME! Montreal's bench looked completely defeated after that.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Magix

I love Cowen. That is all.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Habs aren't a good measuring stick of toughness.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:39 PM
yogibear

Therrien is pissed by the timeout. Anyone notice that PK Subban no longer tried nail a player in the board after Condra's stick was waiting for him.

yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Habs aren't a good measuring stick of toughness.
Fair enough

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote