HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2003 Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2005, 07:09 AM
  #1
Bob In Kitchener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
2003 Draft

Who is still unsigned of the Habs draft picks from 2003? There is a report in the Toronto Sun that says if the league does not have a new collective bargaining agreement in place by June 1st, any unsigned players from the 2003 draft could become free agents and sign with anyone.

Bob In Kitchener is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 08:49 AM
  #2
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
we've heard this 1000000 times.

They won't be free agent because no team will be able to sign a player if there is no CBA.

And when a new CBA is signed, be sure that there will be a line somewhere that will have a solution to this.

As for your question, I don't know..

wedge is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
  #3
KILLger
Registered User
 
KILLger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
10 Andrei Kostitsyn - Signed
40 Cory Urquhart - Signed
61 Maxim Lapierre - Needs to be signed
79 Ryan O'Byrne - Doesn't need to be signed
113 Corey Locke - Signed
123 Dany Stewart - Needs to be signed
177 Christopher Heino-Lindberg - Doesn't need to be signed
188 Mark Flood - Needs to be signed
217 Oskari Korpikari - Doesn't need to be signed
241 Jimmy Bonneau - Needs to be signed
271 Jaroslav Halak - Doesn't need to be signed

KILLger is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 11:16 AM
  #4
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
10 Andrei Kostitsyn - Signed
40 Cory Urquhart - Signed
61 Maxim Lapierre - Needs to be signed
79 Ryan O'Byrne - Doesn't need to be signed
113 Corey Locke - Signed
123 Dany Stewart - Needs to be signed
177 Christopher Heino-Lindberg - Doesn't need to be signed
188 Mark Flood - Needs to be signed
217 Oskari Korpikari - Doesn't need to be signed
241 Jimmy Bonneau - Needs to be signed
271 Jaroslav Halak - Doesn't need to be signed
I don't think management will sign Stewart this year
Flood will be signed, so will Bonneau and Lapierre.

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
  #5
Bob In Kitchener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Here is a link to the article in today's Toronto Sun, written by Al Strachan:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...62382-sun.html

I don't think it's as cut and dried as some of us might like to think.

Bob In Kitchener is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
  #6
Vicious
Registered User
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
hahahah al strachan

Vicious is online now  
Old
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
  #7
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
After all, it's no accident that financial success and good drafting go hand-in-hand.


Say what Al? Is this guy really that dumb? What a tool. This has to be a joke.

This argument about UFA's is garbage imo. I'm pretty sure that under the new CBA, there will be a provision to let teams sign their 2003 draft picks. Personally, I would be surprised if they are declared UFA's. I don't see it happening.

Quiet Robert is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
  #8
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Al is just another mouth peice for the PA. More pressure tactics by Booby NotsoGoodnow.

I just find it hilarious that its the fans of teams that pissed away their future the last few years that are holding their collective breaths to see if these unsigned 2003 draftees will be UFAs.

Dream on.

AH is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
  #9
bopeep
Registered User
 
bopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: habcouver
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert


Say what Al? Is this guy really that dumb? What a tool. This has to be a joke.

This argument about UFA's is garbage imo. I'm pretty sure that under the new CBA, there will be a provision to let teams sign their 2003 draft picks. Personally, I would be surprised if they are declared UFA's. I don't see it happening.
I don't believe that what Strachan is regurgitating is that much of a stretch. The CBA is a contract between the League and NHLPA. Rights to a drafted N.A. player is two years. If my name was Carter of Richards and I wanted to play my career elsewhere other than the City of Brotherly Love, I or my agent would be phoning a decent labour lawyer right about now.

bopeep is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:09 PM
  #10
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
I don't believe that what Strachan is regurgitating is that much of a stretch. The CBA is a contract between the League and NHLPA. Rights to a drafted N.A. player is two years. If my name was Carter of Richards and I wanted to play my career elsewhere other than the City of Brotherly Love, I or my agent would be phoning a decent labour lawyer right about now.
Yeah, but if you ever want to play in the NHL not as a replacement, you gotta sign on to the new CBA. All they need to do to close the loophole is add a line in saying "Teams will retain the rights to all unsigned players drafted by them in the 2003 draft for a period of 30 after the implementation of the CBA, at the end of which all rights are lost if the player remains unsigned" or some such.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
  #11
bopeep
Registered User
 
bopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: habcouver
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Yeah, but if you ever want to play in the NHL not as a replacement, you gotta sign on to the new CBA. All they need to do to close the loophole is add a line in saying "Teams will retain the rights to all unsigned players drafted by them in the 2003 draft for a period of 30 after the implementation of the CBA, at the end of which all rights are lost if the player remains unsigned" or some such.
As a player you are not a signatory to the CBA - the NHLPA is, and is the sole bargaining agent for the players, including free agents.

bopeep is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
  #12
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
As a player you are not a signatory to the CBA - the NHLPA is, and is the sole bargaining agent for the players, including free agents.
yeahyeah, so the NHLPA is going to need to sign it, and I'm pretty sure all the players in the NHLPA are bound by their rules.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
  #13
bopeep
Registered User
 
bopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: habcouver
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
yeahyeah, so the NHLPA is going to need to sign it, and I'm pretty sure all the players in the NHLPA are bound by their rules.
Correct. I don't believe that it would take Clarence Darrow to argue that as a player, your obligation to the professional team that drafted you had been fulfilled after 2 years thus enabling you to seek free agency (no current CBA to apply) or at worst reentering the draft.

bopeep is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
  #14
Bob In Kitchener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
Correct. I don't believe that it would take Clarence Darrow to argue that as a player, your obligation to the professional team that drafted you had been fulfilled after 2 years thus enabling you to seek free agency (no current CBA to apply) or at worst reentering the draft.
I agree...I do not think there is anything in the past to set a precedent here...this is breaking some new ground and maybe a few rules along the way...I just hope Lapierre and Flood can be retained or..if not...let's sign both Carter AND Richards.

Bob In Kitchener is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
  #15
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
Correct. I don't believe that it would take Clarence Darrow to argue that as a player, your obligation to the professional team that drafted you had been fulfilled after 2 years thus enabling you to seek free agency (no current CBA to apply) or at worst reentering the draft.
I think they could do that up until the date of the new CBA coming into effect, if the new CBA specifically states that free agents of their type etc, etc.

Squeaky is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 08:52 PM
  #16
Hammourabi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
With no teams being allowed to sign anyone, I would be surprised that any legal action undertaken by players asking to be declared free agents succeed. Since they could not be signed even if declared free agents, the courts would probably rule that they have no basis for action.

Hammourabi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.