HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2003 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Bob In Kitchener

vCash: 500
2003 Draft

Who is still unsigned of the Habs draft picks from 2003? There is a report in the Toronto Sun that says if the league does not have a new collective bargaining agreement in place by June 1st, any unsigned players from the 2003 draft could become free agents and sign with anyone.

Old
03-16-2005, 08:49 AM
wedge

we've heard this 1000000 times.

They won't be free agent because no team will be able to sign a player if there is no CBA.

And when a new CBA is signed, be sure that there will be a line somewhere that will have a solution to this.

As for your question, I don't know..

Old
03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
10 Andrei Kostitsyn - Signed
40 Cory Urquhart - Signed
61 Maxim Lapierre - Needs to be signed
79 Ryan O'Byrne - Doesn't need to be signed
113 Corey Locke - Signed
123 Dany Stewart - Needs to be signed
177 Christopher Heino-Lindberg - Doesn't need to be signed
188 Mark Flood - Needs to be signed
217 Oskari Korpikari - Doesn't need to be signed
241 Jimmy Bonneau - Needs to be signed
271 Jaroslav Halak - Doesn't need to be signed

Old
03-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
10 Andrei Kostitsyn - Signed
40 Cory Urquhart - Signed
61 Maxim Lapierre - Needs to be signed
79 Ryan O'Byrne - Doesn't need to be signed
113 Corey Locke - Signed
123 Dany Stewart - Needs to be signed
177 Christopher Heino-Lindberg - Doesn't need to be signed
188 Mark Flood - Needs to be signed
217 Oskari Korpikari - Doesn't need to be signed
241 Jimmy Bonneau - Needs to be signed
271 Jaroslav Halak - Doesn't need to be signed
I don't think management will sign Stewart this year
Flood will be signed, so will Bonneau and Lapierre.

Old
03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Bob In Kitchener

Here is a link to the article in today's Toronto Sun, written by Al Strachan:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...62382-sun.html

I don't think it's as cut and dried as some of us might like to think.

Old
03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
hahahah al strachan

Old
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
After all, it's no accident that financial success and good drafting go hand-in-hand.

Say what Al? Is this guy really that dumb? What a tool. This has to be a joke.

This argument about UFA's is garbage imo. I'm pretty sure that under the new CBA, there will be a provision to let teams sign their 2003 draft picks. Personally, I would be surprised if they are declared UFA's. I don't see it happening.

Old
03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
AH

Al is just another mouth peice for the PA. More pressure tactics by Booby NotsoGoodnow.

I just find it hilarious that its the fans of teams that pissed away their future the last few years that are holding their collective breaths to see if these unsigned 2003 draftees will be UFAs.

Dream on.

Old
03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert

Say what Al? Is this guy really that dumb? What a tool. This has to be a joke.

This argument about UFA's is garbage imo. I'm pretty sure that under the new CBA, there will be a provision to let teams sign their 2003 draft picks. Personally, I would be surprised if they are declared UFA's. I don't see it happening.
I don't believe that what Strachan is regurgitating is that much of a stretch. The CBA is a contract between the League and NHLPA. Rights to a drafted N.A. player is two years. If my name was Carter of Richards and I wanted to play my career elsewhere other than the City of Brotherly Love, I or my agent would be phoning a decent labour lawyer right about now.

Old
03-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
I don't believe that what Strachan is regurgitating is that much of a stretch. The CBA is a contract between the League and NHLPA. Rights to a drafted N.A. player is two years. If my name was Carter of Richards and I wanted to play my career elsewhere other than the City of Brotherly Love, I or my agent would be phoning a decent labour lawyer right about now.
Yeah, but if you ever want to play in the NHL not as a replacement, you gotta sign on to the new CBA. All they need to do to close the loophole is add a line in saying "Teams will retain the rights to all unsigned players drafted by them in the 2003 draft for a period of 30 after the implementation of the CBA, at the end of which all rights are lost if the player remains unsigned" or some such.

Old
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Yeah, but if you ever want to play in the NHL not as a replacement, you gotta sign on to the new CBA. All they need to do to close the loophole is add a line in saying "Teams will retain the rights to all unsigned players drafted by them in the 2003 draft for a period of 30 after the implementation of the CBA, at the end of which all rights are lost if the player remains unsigned" or some such.
As a player you are not a signatory to the CBA - the NHLPA is, and is the sole bargaining agent for the players, including free agents.

Old
03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
As a player you are not a signatory to the CBA - the NHLPA is, and is the sole bargaining agent for the players, including free agents.
yeahyeah, so the NHLPA is going to need to sign it, and I'm pretty sure all the players in the NHLPA are bound by their rules.

Old
03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
yeahyeah, so the NHLPA is going to need to sign it, and I'm pretty sure all the players in the NHLPA are bound by their rules.
Correct. I don't believe that it would take Clarence Darrow to argue that as a player, your obligation to the professional team that drafted you had been fulfilled after 2 years thus enabling you to seek free agency (no current CBA to apply) or at worst reentering the draft.

Old
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Bob In Kitchener

Quote:
Correct. I don't believe that it would take Clarence Darrow to argue that as a player, your obligation to the professional team that drafted you had been fulfilled after 2 years thus enabling you to seek free agency (no current CBA to apply) or at worst reentering the draft.
I agree...I do not think there is anything in the past to set a precedent here...this is breaking some new ground and maybe a few rules along the way...I just hope Lapierre and Flood can be retained or..if not...let's sign both Carter AND Richards.

Old
03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
I think they could do that up until the date of the new CBA coming into effect, if the new CBA specifically states that free agents of their type etc, etc.

Old
03-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Hammourabi

With no teams being allowed to sign anyone, I would be surprised that any legal action undertaken by players asking to be declared free agents succeed. Since they could not be signed even if declared free agents, the courts would probably rule that they have no basis for action.

Closed Thread