HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Happened to Paul Stastny?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
  #51
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Nope, he just stopped playing well. I've always wondered why people keep making excuse for him?
Cause he's not actually playing any worse?

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:49 PM
  #52
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Cause he's not actually playing any worse?
He made Stewart a 28 goal scorer and TJ galliardi into a 40 point player. Now he can't cut it with Mcginn, Jones or Duchene when he played in the wing. You're really going to tell me his play hasn't regressed? I've watched him play in over 300+ games, this isn't the Stastny that I once called my favorite player. That guy could actually shoot the puck, now he just kind throws the puck on net and hopes.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
  #53
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 336
Really too bad he's in the NW.. He would be perfect for the flames.. Whether it be with Iggy, Glengross, Bartschi, Cammaleri, Hudler or Cervenka.. I also think he would be great in Hartleys pure offensive system.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
  #54
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 50
While he may be blamed for some parts of his "regression", anything that does not start and end with Sacco's "system" is wrong.

AslanRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
  #55
HockeyGuy1975
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 598
vCash: 500
What happened to Stastny? He was forced to start playing with a composite stick. He was great when he played to the old school wood sticks.

What do they say about about causation and correlation?

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:58 PM
  #56
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,620
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I watched several Avs games over the years and it sure looked to me like Stastny was going to be one of the best pure playmakers in the league. He used to thread dirty passes through the seams on a regular basis.

Avs fans: Is he still doing that?
No. He can barely make a saucer pass on a 2 on 1.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
  #57
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
He made Stewart a 28 goal scorer and TJ galliardi into a 40 point player. Now he can't cut it with Mcginn, Jones or Duchene when he played in the wing. You're really going to tell me his play hasn't regressed? I've watched him play in over 300+ games, this isn't the Stastny that I once called my favorite player. That guy could actually shoot the puck, now he just kind throws the puck on net and hopes.
Duchene looked awful on the wing, so that it's unfair to blame that failing on staz, it was just a dumb idea form the start.

As for Ginner and Jones, I seem to recall a line of McGinn-Stastny-Jones ending last year on fire and with Varly being the biggest reason for our staying in the playoff hunt. This year McGinn's been snakebitten and Jones has been hurt/drunk again, not really staz's fault that they're suddenly not finishing the chances he creates for them the way they were last year.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
  #58
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
I watched several Avs games over the years and it sure looked to me like Stastny was going to be one of the best pure playmakers in the league. He used to thread dirty passes through the seams on a regular basis.

Avs fans: Is he still doing that?
I'd say so. Maybe not quite as much, but he still amazes me with a pass or two every game.

In addition to lack of structure working against him, I've noticed his shot doesn't get much respect, and it's pretty predictable that he's going to try to get the puck to someone. I think if he can start shooting more, he'll be a lot more successful. (Seems like he's shooting more this year so that's a good indication).

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:06 PM
  #59
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Sacco is a terrible coach /thread

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 06:25 PM
  #60
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy
 
Swervin81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,479
vCash: 500
If the Leafs landed Stastny, I would be through the roof to put a true #1C and one of the better passers in the league alongside Kessel. If Kessel can put up 37 goals with Tyler ****ing Bozak, I'd be giddy to see what he can do with a real C.

Stastny's still the same guy, it's just the fact that pure playmakers generally need good wingers to be at their best, and Joe Sacco's offensive schemes are the equivalent of Ron Wilson's defensive schemes (i.e. WTF?!).

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
  #61
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Duchene looked awful on the wing, so that it's unfair to blame that failing on staz, it was just a dumb idea form the start.

As for Ginner and Jones, I seem to recall a line of McGinn-Stastny-Jones ending last year on fire and with Varly being the biggest reason for our staying in the playoff hunt. This year McGinn's been snakebitten and Jones has been hurt/drunk again, not really staz's fault that they're suddenly not finishing the chances he creates for them the way they were last year.
Preaching to the choir here but that doesn't excuse stazz for his ****** play.

It's funny how many avs fans actually convinced themselves of this. They weren't on fire they were playing better for sure but no where near on fire, Stastny was on pace for 60pts in that time frame so I wouldn't call him a world beater if I were you. I had suspicion if he and the rest can actually maintain their solid play and as it turns out they couldn't.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
  #62
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley
 
MrFunnyWobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walking on the moon
Country: Comoros
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
He heard toronto rumors.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:26 PM
  #63
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
If the Leafs landed Stastny, I would be through the roof to put a true #1C and one of the better passers in the league alongside Kessel. If Kessel can put up 37 goals with Tyler ****ing Bozak, I'd be giddy to see what he can do with a real C.
Kessel doesn't need a high end play-making centre to score 35-50 goals. He just needs a gritty player who can go to dirty areas and create plays. Basically if they'd found a more offensive version of Leo Komarov even if he was a winger then it would have worked. I thought Kulemin would develop into it but Kulemin's finishing is too mediocre. Lupul does the job quite decently.

The team does need a number one centre if they're going to compete in the playoffs who can match up against other lines but they don't need a number one centre to get to the playoffs.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
  #64
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Preaching to the choir here but that doesn't excuse stazz for his ****** play.

It's funny how many avs fans actually convinced themselves of this. They weren't on fire they were playing better for sure but no where near on fire, Stastny was on pace for 60pts in that time frame so I wouldn't call him a world beater if I were you. I had suspicion if he and the rest can actually maintain their solid play and as it turns out they couldn't.
Except Staz didn't play like ****, he didn't produce cause it didn't work cause it was stupid.

They finished the year playing great hockey and were a huge part of of why we stayed in the race until the final week of the season. They didn't maintain it this year, but they showed that when Staz has people around who'll finish, he goes back to being the productive player he has been in his career. I mean looking at this year, he'd be over PPG if just McPing weren't aiming for the pipes, much less Jones playing well and Staz actually having two top 6 wingers. Give the man guys who'll finish and staz will set them up, it's not like he's suddenly lost that skill. So while his numbers have regressed his play hasn't.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
  #65
canuklehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
For the sake of my keeper pool I hope he gets traded or the Avs give him some good wingers

canuklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:40 AM
  #66
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
So many factors, one being his awful teammates and worst coach in the nhl. The rest are his fault, Stas has always been on the soft side, he wasn't nearly as gritty as his father. He was able to ecxel in the old Avs system which was offensive and attacking style hockey. Sacco's system has greatly hurt his potential, but Stas is soft and doesn't really have a lot of heart. Once he got his cushy contract and put on a team full of AHL'ers, he really started to show signs of laziness and disinterest.

It's a shame, he still has plenty of gas left in the tank, I think a change of scene might spark his career again, or a new coach which isn't happening anytime soon. Sherman is way too fukcing thick to fire Sacco.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
  #67
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 1170
I'd love to have him on the oilers, great C to slot in behind Nuge. We have enough wingers to help him get his stride back.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  #68
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I'd love to have him on the oilers, great C to slot in behind Nuge. We have enough wingers to help him get his stride back.
No offense to the Oil, but I don't think you guys need anymore soft players. Paul is soft and already resembles much of your team, I don't see him thriving there with players much like him.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
  #69
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Except Staz didn't play like ****, he didn't produce cause it didn't work cause it was stupid.

They finished the year playing great hockey and were a huge part of of why we stayed in the race until the final week of the season. They didn't maintain it this year, but they showed that when Staz has people around who'll finish, he goes back to being the productive player he has been in his career. I mean looking at this year, he'd be over PPG if just McPing weren't aiming for the pipes, much less Jones playing well and Staz actually having two top 6 wingers. Give the man guys who'll finish and staz will set them up, it's not like he's suddenly lost that skill. So while his numbers have regressed his play hasn't.
It's not just about the points with Stastny, even if Mcginn cashed in on his chances, giving Stastny a few more points, the guy is still irrelevant most of the time on the ice. Good players can still play well without producing but this isn't the case with Stastny he has been **** all over the ice. You keep believeing he hasn't regressed, I choose to live in the real world.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
  #70
danmcn12
Radioactive
 
danmcn12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
So it all has to do with the people around him? No one is putting any blame on him?
People do. But what do you expect when he plays with a revolving door of mediocrity and ahl players. Last good season was with Stewart. Also happens to be his last season with a guy who can score.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
  #71
danmcn12
Radioactive
 
danmcn12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
It's not just about the points with Stastny, even if Mcginn cashed in on his chances, giving Stastny a few more points, the guy is still irrelevant most of the time on the ice. Good players can still play well without producing but this isn't the case with Stastny he has been **** all over the ice. You keep believeing he hasn't regressed, I choose to live in the real world.
He plays good defense and has consistently been our best pker and faceoff man. He also has leadership qualities and improves everyone he plays with. That's enough for me. His points have declined with his linemates quality, that's the real world.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
  #72
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Really too bad he's in the NW.. He would be perfect for the flames.. Whether it be with Iggy, Glengross, Bartschi, Cammaleri, Hudler or Cervenka.. I also think he would be great in Hartleys pure offensive system.
ikr. I'd probably still pull the trigger on a deal for him though. He'd be great between Cammalleri and Iginla.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
  #73
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
It's not just about the points with Stastny, even if Mcginn cashed in on his chances, giving Stastny a few more points, the guy is still irrelevant most of the time on the ice. Good players can still play well without producing but this isn't the case with Stastny he has been **** all over the ice. You keep believeing he hasn't regressed, I choose to live in the real world.
Even when Stastny was getting 79 points he was irrelevant most of the time on the ice. He never was flashy or dominated the play of game.

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
  #74
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,317
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
He plays good defense and has consistently been our best pker and faceoff man. He also has leadership qualities and improves everyone he plays with. That's enough for me. His points have declined with his linemates quality, that's the real world.
Last year it was Landy and ROR, this year it's Duchene by far and he's been slightly better in the faceoff. If he improves everyone he plays with why has Mcginn looked better with Matt? Jones still sucks?

In your real world Sacco is a good coach so, excuse me if I don't think too highly of your opinion. Hell just last game even the Stastny lovers said he had a poor game and you said he quietly had a good game. Anyway, I'm done with this.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:17 PM
  #75
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Would maybe help, who knows. It's crazy that he went from looking like he could be one of the best US players ever to possibly not even making the team next year in Sochi.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.