HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Del 04/05 Playoff Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2005, 10:41 AM
  #1
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Del 04/05 Playoff Thread

Maybe a thread for all the DEL playoff happenings? Go LIONS!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
  #2
elvis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Go Ingolstadt!

elvis is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 03:44 PM
  #3
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,718
vCash: 500
Damn, Giguere pukes on the ice and Frankfurt scores the gamewinner with roughly ten seconds remaining...

Hamburg had a great chance today. I don't believe they can beat Frankfurt at home after this game, what a heartbreaker.

Sanderson is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
  #4
MAF
Rookie User
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
I was attenting the game today, which was quite exciting.

Short analysis of the game:

- Giguere did an awesome job. Frankfurt has the best offense in the league, but Giguere didn't give them any rebounds. But it seemed, he didn't look too good on the first goal. I couldn't see it clearly...but he had an amazing save just before the 2-1.

- The arena was really rockin' after Frankfurt scored that 3-2 with 9 seconds remaining.

- Hamburg played really "dirty". Many "small" fouls. But they were lucky, because the referees weren't on Frankfurt's side. They could have given more penalties to Hamburg.

- Summa summarum: Frankfurt deserved the win. They subjectively outshot Hamburg and had the better chances.

MAF is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
  #5
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega
 
JVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
"Und ihr kotzt nur das Eis kaputt!"

Did he continue to play after he was done puking??
Reminds me of "Any given sunday" but I don't think that Giguere is that nervous, I guess it was the heat in Frankfurt...

Sanderson, how about a playoff-avatar???

JVR is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 10:48 PM
  #6
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanGirl
"Und ihr kotzt nur das Eis kaputt!"

Did he continue to play after he was done puking??
Reminds me of "Any given sunday" but I don't think that Giguere is that nervous, I guess it was the heat in Frankfurt...

Sanderson, how about a playoff-avatar???
I've heard from my relatives how warm it has been the past couple days there. It's the Lions.. there turning up the heat!!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 05:38 AM
  #7
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF
- Hamburg played really "dirty". Many "small" fouls. But they were lucky, because the referees weren't on Frankfurt's side. They could have given more penalties to Hamburg.
Well, they weren't the only ones...
Lebeau returned to his playoff-game from last season, always playing with a high stick and diving all over the place.

He is the best player in the league, he doesn't need to act like this.



Giguere finished the period but didn't return for the third.

playoff-avatar?
Good idea, but I first have to find the right picture for it.

Maybe someone could find a picture of Giguere puking, it might be a good avatar if Hamburg loses this series...

Sanderson is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 05:50 AM
  #8
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
Well, they weren't the only ones...
Lebeau returned to his playoff-game from last season, always playing with a high stick and diving all over the place.

He is the best player in the league, he doesn't need to act like this.

Don´t forget:

Frankfurt = good
All others = bad



BTW: The Lions turning up the heat ?? Good laugh , the Lions still annoying would be the better fit, like the whole DEL machinery.

Hellström is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 05:53 AM
  #9
MAF
Rookie User
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
Giguere finished the period but didn't return for the third.
Jup, but he's still using his Anaheim pads and gloves, which look awful with the current Hamburg jersey.

MAF is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
  #10
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
Don´t forget:

Frankfurt = good
All others = bad



BTW: The Lions turning up the heat ?? Good laugh , the Lions still annoying would be the better fit, like the whole DEL machinery.
LOL Can't take the heat eh?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 11:26 AM
  #11
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Nope - heat is fine, but the DEL with the Lions included is a league without heat. It´s waste of time and nothing else. New modus each year, thousands of rule-changes each year, new financial "strikes" each year....who cares about hockey ? Nobody, that´s why nobody is interested in that "heat".
Do you really think that anyone cares about who´s going to be the DEL-Champ except those seasn ticket holders or those 3000 guys watching a thursday evening game (wherever that is) ?
Those DEL magazines go down the toilet cause nobody is buying them, cause nobody is interested.
It´s "funny" to see Ryan Habermüller who has a german citizenship, cause his mothers nephews friend had a german sheep dog - this stuff is too good to be sold on a open market - it´s something to laugh about when a "GM" (i intend to say "Cad´ish GM") finds another "gem" in the 27th tier league in Saskatchewan...great stuff !
It´s a dead league and it will be a dead league with no heat in it. Still annyoing, will be annoying.

If it weren´t the only chance to see some hockey, more people would avoid that league and now NASN arrived....will be intersting to see more "fun at an arena with a incidently hockey game" - that´s a bright future...


Last edited by Hellström: 03-18-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Hellström is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 11:53 AM
  #12
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
Nope - heat is fine, but the DEL with the Lions included is a league without heat. It´s waste of time and nothing else. New modus each year, thousands of rule-changes each year, new financial "strikes" each year....who cares about hockey ? Nobody, that´s why nobody is interested in that "heat".
Do you really think that anyone cares about who´s going to be the DEL-Champ except those seasn ticket holders or those 3000 guys watching a thursday evening game (wherever that is) ?
Those DEL magazines go down the toilet cause nobody is buying them, cause nobody is interested.
It´s "funny" to see Ryan Habermüller who has a german citizenship, cause his mothers nephews friend had a german sheep dog - this stuff is too good to be sold on a open market - it´s something to laugh about when a "GM" (i intend to say "Cad´ish GM") finds another "gem" in the 27th tier league in Saskatchewan...great stuff !
It´s a dead league and it will be a dead league with no heat in it. Still annyoing, will be annoying.

If it weren´t the only chance to see some hockey, more people would avoid that league and now NASN arrived....will be intersting to see more "fun at an arena with a incidently hockey game" - that´s a bright future...
Bad day today Bakos? I'm only teasing. While the league could use improvements, at least there is one to follow. The league is relatively young and needs time to grow and develop. There will always be growing pains while this is going on. I have faith it will develop a better hockey product in the future. It just needs time.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
  #13
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Not a bad day...a bad league.
Young league ? Ten years around and still getting worse. Sometimes time runs out and time is running out already. Wolfsburg looks like getting removed from the league cause the don´t have plans for a arena

Improvements ? With guys like Trippke in the office ? No way...if you do think that Bettman/Goodenow are bad, then you´ve never seen Trippke acting.
How many teams apparently did collpase and can be called lucky to be in the league again ? Krefeld, Mannheim, Düsseldorf, Hamburg (well Landshut and München didn´t do that well, so i included them in here).

How many teams did come and go ? Schwenningen, Freiburg, Riessersee, Ratingen/Oberhausen, Preussen Berlin, Kaufbeuren, Weisswasser, Rosenheim, Landshut, München (twice), Düsseldorf (was out, did get in again later), maybe you´d like to add Wedemark in here.
That´s like 8-9 teams of the former Bundesliga who couldn´t survive the "new product".
The Bundesliga just had 12 teams, so Krefeld and Mannheim survived luckily and the Eisbären are fed by Anschütz while only Köln looks like a solid team.
Don´t tell me that this is a bright future or that they do need more time.
The only thing this league did was to destroy 3/4 of the former Bundesliga-Teams, get new teams into financial trouble, replace teams each year, get new rules each year, let about 20 foreigners play a game to reduce it to 11 now and get the honor for it.
It´s disgusting to call that thing a league by now, it´s everything you DON´T want to see in your league.
If you´re watching a hockey game on TV from the DEL in the intermissions the new tragic stories of the DEL are the main topics - not the hockey. The discussed stuff is how team XXX could waste so much money without having any money or that Mr.YYY thinks about retiring from giving money to team ZZZ. It´s not about sport, it´s about the new tragedies of the league, so i can´t get amused by sports, cause it´s overshadowed by league crap.
Mr.Weight for example is my favorite hockey player, but there are no stories about him - the biggest story is Giguere puking and Krefeld coach Leslie being on loan in Wolfsburg who try to survive in a series against a 2nd tier league - it isn´t obvious that the 2nd tier league winner wants to get into the DEL. If he doesn´t want to get in the DEL the loser of that series will stay in the DEL.
Do you spend money for a game against a 2nd tier league team who´s not going to move to the DEL, so that you´re team is the winner without playing ?

So, in which markets do you want to establish that heat if traditional markets don´t flourish while the big cities can´t identify or handle teams ?


Last edited by Hellström: 03-18-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Hellström is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
  #14
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Not to argue with you, but what changes do you think would make the DEL better? What would you like to see done? Just curious

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 01:25 PM
  #15
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
A straight concept.
I don´t expect them to reduce the foreign licences or something like that, but it wouldn´t be a bad thing. >ou just have to accept that german hockey is not top-notch in europe and won´t become top-notch in the next 50 years.

You have to start in a smaller way. You have to select your franchises well, you don´t should put too much pressure on them like the DEL is doing with Wolfsburg right now.
You must be straight to some points like financial things - it´s controlled right now, but each year they do make faults and that has to stop right now.
They have to get a step backwards with the salaries, cause they can´t compete with Switzerland, Sweden etc.
They have to cancel the TV Deal and get a TV Deal with less money, but with a better complete product. Hockey should be on free channels to draw fans - if you´re going to let hockey stay on Pay-TV and making even the die-hard hockey fans angry with moving teams around (talk about Landshut, München, Hamburg or the Wedemark-Hannover thing), then you´re losing the whole fanbase. You have to draw new kids on sunday afternoon when they´re zapping and see a sportsgame and get intrested by that.
Newspaper articles are fine, but the eyes of kids are worth much more.
They should build this whole thing from the bottom and not from the top.
If you do build a big fanbase then higher TV Deals will come along with that - if you´re by that point, you´ll get a little more salary for better players, etc and here we go.
You´ve got a fanbase everywhere, you get a little raise each year.

The problem is, that they don´t have a concept or switch the concept each year, so a guy not included in a fanbase just interested in hockey is confused each year by new teams, by the use of teamnames, by teams disappearing in the season, etc
This has to stop immediatly, cause you can´t get a league together with 4-5 teams.
Mabye they have to reduce the team number until the fanbase grows, don´t know the numbers of the fanbase.

If you´re following the route they are following now...i don´t know if the Lions for example will be in the league in 5 years (team owner (??) Schröder has already said that the Lions need a better arena and if they aren´t getting one hockey might be done in Frankfurt quickly, although i think this is the typical first pressure to the city of Frankfurt).

Hellström is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 03:11 PM
  #16
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
A straight concept.
I don´t expect them to reduce the foreign licences or something like that, but it wouldn´t be a bad thing. >ou just have to accept that german hockey is not top-notch in europe and won´t become top-notch in the next 50 years.

You have to start in a smaller way. You have to select your franchises well, you don´t should put too much pressure on them like the DEL is doing with Wolfsburg right now.
You must be straight to some points like financial things - it´s controlled right now, but each year they do make faults and that has to stop right now.
They have to get a step backwards with the salaries, cause they can´t compete with Switzerland, Sweden etc.
They have to cancel the TV Deal and get a TV Deal with less money, but with a better complete product. Hockey should be on free channels to draw fans - if you´re going to let hockey stay on Pay-TV and making even the die-hard hockey fans angry with moving teams around (talk about Landshut, München, Hamburg or the Wedemark-Hannover thing), then you´re losing the whole fanbase. You have to draw new kids on sunday afternoon when they´re zapping and see a sportsgame and get intrested by that.
Newspaper articles are fine, but the eyes of kids are worth much more.
They should build this whole thing from the bottom and not from the top.
If you do build a big fanbase then higher TV Deals will come along with that - if you´re by that point, you´ll get a little more salary for better players, etc and here we go.
You´ve got a fanbase everywhere, you get a little raise each year.

The problem is, that they don´t have a concept or switch the concept each year, so a guy not included in a fanbase just interested in hockey is confused each year by new teams, by the use of teamnames, by teams disappearing in the season, etc
This has to stop immediatly, cause you can´t get a league together with 4-5 teams.
Mabye they have to reduce the team number until the fanbase grows, don´t know the numbers of the fanbase.

If you´re following the route they are following now...i don´t know if the Lions for example will be in the league in 5 years (team owner (??) Schröder has already said that the Lions need a better arena and if they aren´t getting one hockey might be done in Frankfurt quickly, although i think this is the typical first pressure to the city of Frankfurt).
Thanks for your insight Bakos. I agree with many of your points.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 06:45 AM
  #17
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Apparently German and British hockey used to be on a similar level 8-10 years ago.. so if you compare the two, German hockey has come on in leaps and bounds.

I'm not sure if you're exaggerating for effect but 50 years before Germany is top notch? It didnt take Finland or Slovakia that long and Germany has a lot more resources than both. I'd say 15 is more likely and they'll probably beat a top notch nation in the next 5 years.. I'm impressed with the production level of NHLers and there are lots of new prospects too.

I agree about the free TV issue. I wish British hockey had any TV exposure at all..

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 07:49 AM
  #18
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I´m not talking about beating them once - i´m talking about geting hockey a major sport.
You´re right, Germany is developing new talents, but we did have the same talents in the 70s and 80s and even the 90s, but the NHL wasn´t as open as it is now and that´s the reason why guys like Ehrhoff, Hecht, Sturm, etc went over.

There are about no new ice rinks, no small little teams grow etc - that´s my point.
A good hockey nation has hockey as a traditional sport, a lot of people playing hockey "just for fun" etc.
Actually Germany only posseses Pro-Clubs and a small piece of hockey clubs (most of them located in Bavaria), so i´m not that excited and i don´t see hockey growing in about 15 years.
It takes kids or younger guys getting fascinated by hockey, creating new ideas, making an own team, etc.
That´s the base for everything and if that happens (i doubt it will), then hockey could grow a bit and i assume that it takes about 50 years to get something out of that growing (and i´m not talking about pure talent, cause that´s more like a lucky shot cause even strong nations do have an off year talentwise here and there).

Hellström is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 07:56 AM
  #19
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Does it get any funding or support from the Govt?

The British govt has refused to give any funding.. even though the national lottery was meant to support sports development.. they have refused to fund it until Britain become a top 10 nation. Britain doesnt have a hope of ever doing that unless they get some funding! grr.

To get back on topic - Go Kolner Haie! won their first game (Lewandowski fan)

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 09:39 AM
  #20
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
ON a side note I'm going to the Cleveland Barons game tonight to watch Ehrhoff and Goc!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
  #21
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
No funding from the govt as far as i know, just sponsoring from bigger companies, although some of them use the team as a realisticer form of a xbox (SAP and Mannheim).

I´m slightly rooting for Augsburg right now, cause they don´t have lots of money, but they are competitive each year and get good players into the league and don´t complain that much after bigger teams sign those players.

You´re a Lewandowski-Fan cause he´s a Coyote, right ?
He´s a good player, although he´s way to inconsistent and not hard enough for NA. He does haves games where he´s dominant, but he lacks emotion and dedication, although not dedication to the game, more of a dedication to own the game each night, which he could do on a regular base.

Hellström is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 12:16 PM
  #22
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
ON a side note I'm going to the Cleveland Barons game tonight to watch Ehrhoff and Goc!

Did Goc get his head out of his butt lately ? Never thought that he´s able to handle that, cause he´s been pretty lazy in the DEL and didn´t show the desire to get more out of himself.
From what i´ve read he did get it going last season - same this season or more of the "DEL-Goc" ?


Last edited by Hellström: 03-20-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Hellström is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
  #23
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
You´re a Lewandowski-Fan cause he´s a Coyote, right ?
He´s a good player, although he´s way to inconsistent and not hard enough for NA. He does haves games where he´s dominant, but he lacks emotion and dedication, although not dedication to the game, more of a dedication to own the game each night, which he could do on a regular base.
Yes, you got it He was an intriguing late Coyote pick.

He seems to be a borderline player, so maybe he'll never try the NHL because he should be pretty comfortable where he is now rather than bothering with the AHL. Still I think he's made a lot of progress this year, leading his team in goals and plus-minus as well. Its disappointing to hear he lacks passion and consistancy.. he'd definitely need those. If you get to watch him, post a report on the Coyotes board.. we'd really appreciate any news.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 10:53 PM
  #24
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakos
Did Goc get his arse out of his butt lately ? Never thought that he´s able to handle that, cause he´s been pretty lazy in the DEL and didn´t show the desire to get more out of himself.
From what i´ve read he did get it going last season - same this season or more of the "DEL-Goc" ?
Scored two goals tonight. Scored to tie the game late in the third to send it to Ot. Everytime I've watched the kid he has been one of the hardest working guys out there. On offense and defense. He is maturing now, not the young kid you probably saw in the DEL. Ehrhoff on the other hand seems disinterested at times and plays some terrible defense. I like his ability, but sometimes I question whether the effort is there and how much he cares. Losses don't seem to faze him all that much.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline  
Old
03-20-2005, 07:27 AM
  #25
Hellström
Registered User
 
Hellström's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Scored two goals tonight. Scored to tie the game late in the third to send it to Ot. Everytime I've watched the kid he has been one of the hardest working guys out there. On offense and defense. He is maturing now, not the young kid you probably saw in the DEL. Ehrhoff on the other hand seems disinterested at times and plays some terrible defense. I like his ability, but sometimes I question whether the effort is there and how much he cares. Losses don't seem to faze him all that much.
Funny, cause in the DEL it was the other way round, but i´m glad that Goc is getting his act together, although i´ll never get a fan of him.

Hellström is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.