HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why can't the Leafs get over the hump at home?

Old
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Their record says different.

What you think doesn't mean squat - all that matters is their actual record.
Someone steal your cookies this morning?

What's the point of a discussion board if what the poster thinks doesn't mean squat?

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
dirty stanchion

vCash: 500
Suits, suits and more suits. I know some folks would call me envious or whatever but seriously, what kind of a vibe do you expect when most of the ticket-holders in the lower bowl are either milling about in the platinum section lobby, complaining about their $40 roast beef sammys, or back at their seats, fiddling away on they're blackberrys.

That being said i totally dig the sentiment regarding the correlation between winning and fan intensity. It may have seemed like forever but those playoff series between Ott, and the last game against Philly, showed how insane the ACC could get.

dirty stanchion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Their record says different.

What you think doesn't mean squat - all that matters is their actual record.
Way to take what I said out of context...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_to_the_mean

Read that, it's a law of statistics. If you think the Leafs will continue to play above .800 on the road and below .200 at home, you're nuts.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Tak7

The argument that the "suits" are the problem at THE ACC is the biggest misconception about the arena.

You guys know that the "suits" or the platinums make up about 20% of total seating in the stadium right?

So the quiet 20% are to blame but the other 80% are faultless?

Do the 20% control the other 80%?

The reason the ACC atmosphere sucks, is because the Leafs have sucked.

Win and you bring back the atmosphere. It's that simple.

Also - get better serving staff; the reason the seats are always empty coming out of an intermission, is because the lineups are too long and take too much time.

Those complaining about the atmosphere and stating they know the problems etc., might I suggest you go to a Leafs game every now and again?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Well, we didn't really allow them to gain any momentum. That building is notorious for being one of the loudest in the league. We've seen it too many times in the past. When the fans get riled up, it goes straight to their legs and gives them a nice energy boost. Something I'd like to see and hear at the ACC soon. Fans can blame the product all they want, but it's the fans that create noise. Stop being stubborn and get loud.
Apparently there is scientific research that proves home ice advantage is a fallacy. I've yet to see it though

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:27 PM
R McD

Ah stop blaming these 'suits'. The ACC back 10 years ago when we had good teams was a rocking place and we had plenty of suits back then, as well as the gardens. Maybe if the leafs gave the fans something to cheer for..... In fact ironically enough every leaf game I've been to live, whenever a good "go leafs go!" chant got going it usually resulted in the a give away and the leafs getting scored on

R McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R McD View Post
Ah stop blaming these 'suits'. The ACC back 10 years ago when we had good teams was a rocking place and we had plenty of suits back then, as well as the gardens. Maybe if the leafs gave the fans something to cheer for..... In fact ironically enough every leaf game I've been to live, whenever a good "go leafs go!" chant got going it usually resulted in the a give away and the leafs getting scored on
Nail on the head.

The suits argument is just dumb

Old
02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
dirty stanchion

I get what you all are saying, but if you know the team is crap, why even bothering going to the game if you have no intention of cheering. Don't get me wrong, if we go down a couple in the first period, i can see why nobody would be cheering. But on a Saturday night, when the boys hit the ice for the first few laps, the rafters should be coming down...hasn't happened in quite some time.

Old
02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Apparently there is scientific research that proves home ice advantage is a fallacy. I've yet to see it though
There are always exceptions to the rule. Crowd 'presence' in relation to on-ice performance isn't something that can be deciphered through science anyways.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty stanchion View Post
I get what you all are saying, but if you know the team is crap, why even bothering going to the game if you have no intention of cheering. Don't get me wrong, if we go down a couple in the first period, i can see why nobody would be cheering. But on a Saturday night, when the boys hit the ice for the first few laps, the rafters should be coming down...hasn't happened in quite some time.
They go to cheer when the team is winning.

Not to cheer so that the team wins.

Big difference.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:15 PM
dirty stanchion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
They go to cheer when the team is winning.

Not to cheer so that the team wins.

Big difference.
Guess it depends on the fan then. If people are paying good money to watch an inferior team with the intention of sitting on their hands all night, well to each their own.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Guess it depends on the fan then. If people are paying good money to watch an inferior team with the intention of sitting on their hands all night, well to each their own.
Are you suggesting that it's any different?

Knowing what you know of this team's home record over the past several years, AND knowing what you know about the home atmosphere, is that not exactly what the current situation is?

A building full of people waiting to be entertained?

Old
02-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are you suggesting that it's any different?

Knowing what you know of this team's home record over the past several years, AND knowing what you know about the home atmosphere, is that not exactly what the current situation is?

A building full of people waiting to be entertained?
If I actually had to sit in a platinum seat for one of those Leafs pre-game ceremonies I'd be comatose as well once the puck was finally dropped.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Suits, suits and more suits. I know some folks would call me envious or whatever but seriously, what kind of a vibe do you expect when most of the ticket-holders in the lower bowl are either milling about in the platinum section lobby, complaining about their $40 roast beef sammys, or back at their seats, fiddling away on they're blackberrys.

That being said i totally dig the sentiment regarding the correlation between winning and fan intensity. It may have seemed like forever but those playoff series between Ott, and the last game against Philly, showed how insane the ACC could get.
It's up to the team on the ice to make it hard on the opponent that comes into their barn. They should play like they do on the road. It's like they are distracted or something at home. Just don't worry about anything and take care of business. Protect your home ice.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
If I actually had to sit in a platinum seat for one of those Leafs pre-game ceremonies I'd be comatose as well once the puck was finally dropped.
Because the rest of the building is hopping, right?

I've sat in reds and greens before and they are just as quiet as the platinums.

I've sat in the upper bowl - I was there for the Hall of Fame game against Ottawa last year. Could hear Bozak yelling to a teammate all the way up there.

Platinum seats = 20% of the building. Do they influence the rest of the stadium's noise levels? Or is that too complicated an argument to counter the simple "BLAME THE SUITS"?

Old
02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Because the rest of the building is hopping, right?

I've sat in reds and greens before and they are just as quiet as the platinums.

I've sat in the upper bowl - I was there for the Hall of Fame game against Ottawa last year. Could hear Bozak yelling to a teammate all the way up there.

Platinum seats = 20% of the building. Do they influence the rest of the stadium's noise levels? Or is that too complicated an argument to counter the simple "BLAME THE SUITS"?
Actually calm down. I'm not on here blaming the suits as you would see by my other post on this thread. It's a Leafs and Jays thing. Fun ist verboten

Old
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Actually calm down. I'm not on here blaming the suits as you would see by my other post on this thread. It's a Leafs and Jays thing. Fun ist verboten
I'm glad you brought up the Jays.

Let's keep an eye on them this season.

Lots of positive energy surrounding the team after some huge off-season moves, and high expectations.

If they can get out of the gate strongly, the Rogers Center will have a great vibe and feel to it, I think.

Will go right with my theory - TOronto fans are ready to get behind a winner, they just need one. The Leafs are in that bucket too.

Win, and the fans will cheer.

Not the other way around.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:35 PM
dirty stanchion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It's up to the team on the ice to make it hard on the opponent that comes into their barn. They should play like they do on the road. It's like they are distracted or something at home. Just don't worry about anything and take care of business. Protect your home ice.
Wouldn't it be nice though for opposing teams to hit the ACC with a raucous crowd behind the Leafs? It's Toronto...the 'supposed' passion of the sport's biggest fanbase should at least be brought into the arena every night.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Erdinger

I do think raucous crowds influence the officials to a degree. Habs fans have intimidated refs since the beginning of the NHL. It's just right now the team is so pathetic even they can't help out the situation. Brings a tear to my eye.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I don't know if it is the suits. (As I am not from Toronto and I only attended 2 games at the ACC.) But my best guess would be we have not really had a lot to cheer about for the past couple years and that could be detrimental on the fan base.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice though for opposing teams to hit the ACC with a raucous crowd behind the Leafs? It's Toronto...the 'supposed' passion of the sport's biggest fanbase should at least be brought into the arena every night.
Would be great.

Right now it's so quiet and non-intimidating, and so many out-of-town players come in here with families and friends in the stands - it's all just a really cool night out for them.

Hopefully that changes soon

Old
02-10-2013, 04:49 PM
dirty stanchion

Quote:
I'm glad you brought up the Jays.

Let's keep an eye on them this season.

Lots of positive energy surrounding the team after some huge off-season moves, and high expectations.

If they can get out of the gate strongly, the Rogers Center will have a great vibe and feel to it, I think. Will go right with my theory - TOronto fans are ready to get behind a winner, they just need one. The Leafs are in that bucket too.

Win, and the fans will cheer.

Not the other way around.

And if the Jays poo the bed, there is no way they will be getting anything more than 20K a game. If this city is ready to get behind a winner, the Leafs would be playing in front of 10 k every night for the last 6 years.

There is absolutely no way you can compare the two fanbases.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Tak7

Quote:
And if the Jays poo the bed, there is no way they will be getting anything more than 20K a game. If this city is ready to get behind a winner, the Leafs would be playing in front of 10 k every night for the last 6 years.

There is absolutely no way you can compare the two fanbases.
That's why I'm not comparing fan bases, but comparing building atmospheres.

Old
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
CincoHolio
Tears of AGONY!

What better place to do it? I mean, you're in the comfort of your own place; you have your own bed and away from prying eyes. I mean everyone loves a good ol' romp in a parked car, on the beach or......wait....what are we talking about here??

CincoHolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Kessley Snipes*

I'm pretty sure I dealt with the whole "suits" argument last week.

Kessley Snipes* is offline   Reply With Quote