HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why can't the Leafs get over the hump at home?

Old
02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Simply not enough fan support. I've been to quite a few games and it seems as if I hear more jeering than cheering. It's understandable considering how horrible the team has been over the last few years, but it's time to stop all that **** this season. Things are starting to look up and we need to support our team. Here's to hoping fans start cheering loud this season, I know I will be.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincoHolio View Post
What better place to do it? I mean, you're in the comfort of your own place; you have your own bed and away from prying eyes. I mean everyone loves a good ol' romp in a parked car, on the beach or......wait....what are we talking about here??
LOL!

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Don Cherry mentioned yesterday that the fan support at the ACC is lacking, and that it is the main reason for the Leaf's poor home record.

He mentioned how fans were doing "Go Jays Go" chants also. Wonder if he has a point as Im pretty sure the payroll of the other 2 major sports teams is higher than the Leafs (think the Raptors also have a player with the highest salary in the city).

Though the Leafs are playing well, I think their record should be better than it is right now. Just hope they don't become one of those teams that can't play well at home and the road.
The ACC was never as quite as it has been lately, but when you miss the playoffs year after year in the fashion that we do and still charge the same prices if not more who exactly wants to cheer?

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Confucius

It's just a small sample, nothing to get concerned about. Now if they played an entire season of home games with the same result it may be something to look at.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
It's just a small sample, nothing to get concerned about. Now if they played an entire season of home games with the same result it may be something to look at.
Going back to last season isn't it something like 2 wins in 15 home games though?Perhaps I heard wrong on one of the hockey shows.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Going back to last season isn't it something like 2 wins in 15 home games though?Perhaps I heard wrong on one of the hockey shows.
It is but we were on a slide.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
DionPhaneuf3

The fans have to make some of a difference. It's demoralizing when your own fans in our own building aren't just booing you but insulting you. I think more than the fans it was just cause of a slow start. Lines were all messed up cause of injuries to macarthur + Lupul , Reimer was shaky.

As of late all that seems to have settled down. Reimer's playing like a solid no.1 goalie and the lines are working out good now. JVR on the top line, chemistry of our third line. Most of our home games were early on in the season, i think thats the main reason. Team needed time to build chemistry and get it going. That's just my opinion though, we'll see how the Philly game goes.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Simply not enough fan support. I've been to quite a few games and it seems as if I hear more jeering than cheering. It's understandable considering how horrible the team has been over the last few years, but it's time to stop all that **** this season. Things are starting to look up and we need to support our team. Here's to hoping fans start cheering loud this season, I know I will be.
Not sure that will happen when you have people wanting them to tank for a draft pick. Hell, there is even one person here who advocates booing them mercilessly no matter whether they play well or not. With fans like that how good can their home rink feel?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by R McD View Post
Ah stop blaming these 'suits'. The ACC back 10 years ago when we had good teams was a rocking place and we had plenty of suits back then, as well as the gardens.
I agree..

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Doshy

We've only really had 2 bad games at home. The one vs NYI and the one vs Carolina (although Cam Ward put on a clinic or we could've had it).

The games vs Washington (W), Boston (L) and Buffalo (L) were all really tight and could've went either way.

I don't think it's anything to panic about.

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:47 PM
veedubn1

It's a combination of a couple things.

1 - The suits. Of course it matters. These are people who have been given tickets by companies that want their business. They have no attachment to the team and are just happy to take in a free game and drink $12 pints. The Leafs need to look at how US Universities/Colleges hand out their tickets although it's a little trickier to accomplish.

US Universities reserve large swaths of seats for students, and as a result there is always a crazy atmosphere. Perhaps they could take 5,000 tickets and open them up to the public at 3pm on the day of the game with a limit of four per person.

The English Premier League has a system that seperates the opposing fans from one another in an attempt to curb violence in the stands... I'm sure the Leafs could do something similar with corporate season ticket holders and the average fan.

2 - A lot of NHL players come from Ontario. Opposing players get tickets for their friends/family who never get to see them play due to the location of their team and have that extra motivation to do well. It means a lot for players to perform well in front of the people who have supported them from their days playing peewee hockey... especially mom and dad (think of how many 7am Sunday practices they drove YOU to as a youngster).

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

Cmon peeps

Just like I won't say we're road warriors, we aren't crap at home either. SMALL Sample size lalalaa
Is it though?

3 wins in 20 games, or whatever it is at this point.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincoHolio View Post
What better place to do it? I mean, you're in the comfort of your own place; you have your own bed and away from prying eyes. I mean everyone loves a good ol' romp in a parked car, on the beach or......wait....what are we talking about here??
WTF lol

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

The leafs can win road games without much fan support, so why can't they win home games without much fan support?
Does not compute...

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
It's a combination of a couple things.
<snip>

2 - A lot of NHL players come from Ontario. Opposing players get tickets for their friends/family who never get to see them play due to the location of their team and have that extra motivation to do well. It means a lot for players to perform well in front of the people who have supported them from their days playing peewee hockey... especially mom and dad (think of how many 7am Sunday practices they drove YOU to as a youngster).
This.

Each time their star players show up for games in T.O. they know they're playing at one of the largest stage in NHL (*all eyes on me). They give it their all in attempt to impress the crowd (or scouts in contract year) and embarrass the Leafs in the process.

02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

people are too afraid to make a scene and look bad if they get on tv in the lower bowl.

most dont dress like sport fans, they dress like they're trying to impress and look important in the business world

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote