HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Kessel Compilation - 0209 Habs

View Poll Results: Should I do Kessel only or have a Poll every week?
Kessel 7 22.58%
Poll 24 77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  #1
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Kessel Compilation - 0209 Habs

Original thread with more info regarding these compilations:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...79&postcount=1

Finally finished my compilation of most of Kessel's plays during last night's game. Probably spent a little too much time editing. Should go faster next time.

Missed one of his shifts in the third period as stated in the vid. Nothing substantial happens on that shift.

My comments on Kessel's play (pros, neutral, cons):

+ 3 point game, 1 goal, 2 assists
+ Sharp play-making/passes/foresight/eyes
+ Good agility/deking when forced to act
+ Quick releases
+ Reads the play well and moves into open positions to receive passes
* Tends to shy away from physical play on board battles and allows other Leafs
(JVR, Bozak, Liles, and Phaneuf in this case) to battle for him. His avoidance for
such play may be something he is being told to do (coaching staff) because in some
cases, hes clearly leaving the board battles to allow others to move in. I have no
problem with this, because it ensures he stays a healthy contributer in other ways.
- Some questionable defensive positioning, a result of chasing the puck.
- Could be more aggressive on the backcheck/pokechecking.
- Sometimes, avoiding the hit or aggressive play also means losing possession.



Last edited by THHT: 02-10-2013 at 01:22 PM.
THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
  #2
Shanty
Just chip and chase.
 
Shanty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Big T
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
This is really awesome to have. It's nice to have a good reference for how his whole game went.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  #3
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Glad you like it. I'm wondering if I should just do Kessel every week instead of having a poll.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
  #4
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?
 
Joe Pesci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 500
I was wondering when you were gonna have it up. Thanks for this.

Couldn't have picked a better night for him this season either.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
  #5
Shanty
Just chip and chase.
 
Shanty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Big T
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
Glad you like it. I'm wondering if I should just do Kessel every week instead of having a poll.
I actually missed the poll, just went back to take a look now.

I think a change of player every game would be a very good thing to do. I'd really like to watch a game, notice what I can about a specific player, read the responses to things that player is doing in the GDT lunacy, and finally watch this. The perfect order of sanity.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:25 PM
  #6
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
Original thread with more info regarding these compilations:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...79&postcount=1

Finally finished my compilation of most of Kessel's plays during last night's game. Probably spent a little too much time editing. Should go faster next time.

Missed one of his shifts in the third period as stated in the vid. Nothing substantial happens on that shift.

My comments on Kessel's play (pros, neutral, cons):

+ 3 point game, 1 goal, 2 assists
+ Sharp play-making/passes/foresight/eyes
+ Good agility/deking when forced to act
+ Quick releases
+ Reads the play well and moves into open positions to receive passes
* Tends to shy away from physical play on board battles and allows other Leafs
(JVR, Bozak, Liles, and Phaneuf in this case) to battle for him. His avoidance for
such play may be something he is being told to do (coaching staff) because in some
cases, hes clearly leaving the board battles to allow others to move in. I have no
problem with this, because it ensures he stays a healthy contributer in other ways.
- Some questionable defensive positioning, a result of chasing the puck.
- Could be more aggressive on the backcheck/pokechecking.
- Sometimes, avoiding the hit or aggressive play also means losing possession.

He bails sometimes and needs linemates that are good defensively and on the forecheck, but he creates so much with that speed and is a very good playmaker as well. I don't think you want him taking the big hit -- not with many top players getting concussions. I'm okay if he bails once and a while as long as he's getting the puck out of the zone.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:30 PM
  #7
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I was wondering when you were gonna have it up. Thanks for this.

Couldn't have picked a better night for him this season either.
No problem. Again, this took more time than I expected. It might simply be because Kessel was on the ice a lot and was crucial to many plays.

True. Definitely one of his best nights as a Leaf, but again, not perfect by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
I think a change of player every game would be a very good thing to do. I'd really like to watch a game, notice what I can about a specific player, read the responses to things that player is doing in the GDT lunacy, and finally watch this. The perfect order of sanity.
Heh true. We'll see how the poll in this thread works out, though, the result might be kind of obvious. I'm just considering whether or not it's a good idea to do two separate threads.

Bah! The poll should have been for next week's player! What am I doing?...

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
  #8
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
Original thread with more info regarding these compilations:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...79&postcount=1

Finally finished my compilation of most of Kessel's plays during last night's game. Probably spent a little too much time editing. Should go faster next time.

Missed one of his shifts in the third period as stated in the vid. Nothing substantial happens on that shift.

My comments on Kessel's play (pros, neutral, cons):

+ 3 point game, 1 goal, 2 assists
+ Sharp play-making/passes/foresight/eyes
+ Good agility/deking when forced to act
+ Quick releases
+ Reads the play well and moves into open positions to receive passes
* Tends to shy away from physical play on board battles and allows other Leafs
(JVR, Bozak, Liles, and Phaneuf in this case) to battle for him. His avoidance for
such play may be something he is being told to do (coaching staff) because in some
cases, hes clearly leaving the board battles to allow others to move in. I have no
problem with this, because it ensures he stays a healthy contributer in other ways.
- Some questionable defensive positioning, a result of chasing the puck.
- Could be more aggressive on the backcheck/pokechecking.
- Sometimes, avoiding the hit or aggressive play also means losing possession.

its good, it keeps his value up

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:33 PM
  #9
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?
 
GoodNewfieBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
I watched ! It was good. I wouldn't have watched if we lost and didnt play we'll though ha

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  #10
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Poll: I'd like to see some Kadri

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:36 PM
  #11
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?
 
Joe Pesci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
No problem. Again, this took more time than I expected. It might simply be because Kessel was on the ice a lot and was crucial to many plays.

True. Definitely one of his best nights as a Leaf, but again, not perfect by any means.
Oh yeah, definitely, but a good game nonetheless. I liked your analysis on his play throughout this montage as well.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:37 PM
  #12
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He bails sometimes and needs linemates that are good defensively and on the forecheck, but he creates so much with that speed and is a very good playmaker as well. I don't think you want him taking the big hit -- not with many top players getting concussions. I'm okay if he bails once and a while as long as he's getting the puck out of the zone.
Exactly.

It's the same as his 'floating around'. It's noticeable and seems somewhat aggravating, but the reason he's doing it is because he's reading the play from afar (usually a board battle is happening) and waiting for an opportune time to grab a 'won' puck and take it into the offensive zone to do his scoring thing.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  #13
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
its good, it keeps his value up
We can only trade him after he's gotten two more goals. Then his value will skyrocket and we can get Letang + 2nd and make it to the Stanley Cup .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
I watched ! It was good. I wouldn't have watched if we lost and didnt play we'll though ha
The truth is healthy sometimes. Also, you can still have good players in losses/bad overall games. Kadri for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Poll: I'd like to see some Kadri
I would too. I wonder if I can get an admin to change this poll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Oh yeah, definitely, but a good game nonetheless. I liked your analysis on his play throughout this montage as well.
Appreciate it. I just hope to be as accurate and as unbiased as possible.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
  #14
MakeTheIronSing
Registered User
 
MakeTheIronSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
so basically, kessel has break away speed for rushing into the offensive zone, but needs to resist the urge to shoot first because his playmaking is really good as well as his shooting, his passes were awesome

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
  #15
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post
We can only trade him after he's gotten two more goals. Then his value will skyrocket and we can get Letang + 2nd and make it to the Stanley Cup .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THHT View Post


The truth is healthy sometimes. Also, you can still have good players in losses/bad overall games. Kadri for one.



I would too. I wonder if I can get an admin to change this poll...



Appreciate it. I just hope to be as accurate and as unbiased as possible.
thats all for kessel, than lets keep that bum

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
  #16
12345*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
so basically, kessel has break away speed for rushing into the offensive zone, but needs to resist the urge to shoot first because his playmaking is really good as well as his shooting, his passes were awesome
Yerp, unless he has a good gap between him and the defender in the slot or right slow, he should hold the puck and wait for his team mates because it turns a low percentage chance to a likely high percentage chance as he has a knack for finding the trailer and crashing offender/defender.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:54 PM
  #17
blueNwhite89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
man that kessel to JVR goal was a beauty

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
  #18
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
your comments on the plays are horrible. I would suggest you leave them out, get move objective, or learn more about the game; not sure what the story behind them being so bad is.

but probably a lot of work to put the video together, so good job there

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
  #19
kawi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
kessel is great at finding the late man coming in

kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:25 PM
  #20
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Great work. Love this.

Kessel is the best skater we have at gaining offensive zone possession.

I think up until recent team, the Leafs have failed to have a guy who can really do this. I remember Kyle Wellwood once said "it seems like only Kabby and me gain the zone skating with possession" and thinking how right he was.

Now, here are the skaters that I've observed with that skill:
  • Grabovski
  • Kessel
  • Liles
  • Kadri

The rest of the team is 50/50 at best, or will even chip it right past the defender trying to hold the line.

When Kessel has the puck on the rush, however, you probably have a 65 or 70% offensive zone possession with one or both defencemen on the points.

Jason Blake actually did this really well, too, and the techniques they use are similar (large burst of speed, then quick stop), but the lack of speed of his linemates really hindered the continuation of play.

They are similar players, actually. Blake actually may have been faster, though without the kind of vision or hands Kessel posses.

The game the Leafs played during Blake's tenure was completely different. It was a cycle game. Pretty much no rush or counter-attack game.

The Leafs for the past few seasons have been the opposite - poor cycle, heavy on the rush. I actually suspect Blake would have done better on this rushing team than the past cycling team.

Anyway... back to Kessel... thanks for this.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
  #21
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
your comments on the plays are horrible. I would suggest you leave them out, get move objective, or learn more about the game; not sure what the story behind them being so bad is.

but probably a lot of work to put the video together, so good job there
I thought they were pretty good. Would you provide some constructive criticism? It would be a lot more useful than your comments.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
  #22
stakesishigh
how swede it is
 
stakesishigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,422
vCash: 500
This is actually pretty awesome, I think doing a different player every week is a fantastic idea, whether you want to do that through a poll or your own choosing is fine.

Keep it up!

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
  #23
will13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
Nice work!

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
  #24
THHT
Registered User
 
THHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Etobicoke
Country: South Korea
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
your comments on the plays are horrible. I would suggest you leave them out, get move objective, or learn more about the game; not sure what the story behind them being so bad is.

but probably a lot of work to put the video together, so good job there
I would be open to hearing any details you might have as to why you think my descriptions were 'horrible'. That said, I was already considering leaving them out for future vids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Great work. Love this.

Kessel is the best skater we have at gaining offensive zone possession.

I think up until recent team, the Leafs have failed to have a guy who can really do this. I remember Kyle Wellwood once said "it seems like only Kabby and me gain the zone skating with possession" and thinking how right he was.

Now, here are the skaters that I've observed with that skill:
  • Grabovski
  • Kessel
  • Liles
  • Kadri

The rest of the team is 50/50 at best, or will even chip it right past the defender trying to hold the line.

When Kessel has the puck on the rush, however, you probably have a 65 or 70% offensive zone possession with one or both defencemen on the points.

Jason Blake actually did this really well, too, and the techniques they use are similar (large burst of speed, then quick stop), but the lack of speed of his linemates really hindered the continuation of play.

They are similar players, actually. Blake actually may have been faster, though without the kind of vision or hands Kessel posses.

The game the Leafs played during Blake's tenure was completely different. It was a cycle game. Pretty much no rush or counter-attack game.

The Leafs for the past few seasons have been the opposite - poor cycle, heavy on the rush. I actually suspect Blake would have done better on this rushing team than the past cycling team.

Anyway... back to Kessel... thanks for this.
I totally agree with everything you just said. Kessel = Blake + better shot/hands/vision - speed (slightly slower burst and top speed). And it's true, the players you listed seem to be able to enter the offensive zone with possession and setup more than some of the other players we have. Not that this is entirely bad, I mean, it's their job as forwards/wingers to setup and start the cycle and they tend to do it well. I could see JVR getting in there eventually.

Appreciate the analysis/comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
This is actually pretty awesome, I think doing a different player every week is a fantastic idea, whether you want to do that through a poll or your own choosing is fine.

Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
Nice work!
Will do, time-permitting.

I'll probably get the new poll up sometime Wednesday, but I'm a little reluctant as I don't want to clog up the board with a poll-only thread. If I can't get an answer from an admin, then I'll try anyway.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
  #25
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,420
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Kulemin and Kadri

great work btw

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.