HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

How's the new captain?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
JSBach

vCash: 500
How's the new captain?

I'm an outsider who happens to be a huge Lidstrom fan and Detroit sympathizer. Just wondering if Zetterberg has been living up to the C so far; has he? Obviously, there's no way he's going to top Nick, but do you think he'll have a good term as the captain nevertheless?

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
FlashyG

I don't see why not...He was groomed to be the captain from his first day with the Wings when they put him in the locker next to Yzerman.

Tonight wasn't a great game for him, but overall this season I'd say he's been the most consistent Red Wing and the most productive.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
silkyjohnson50

Z has been a leader for a long, long time so I don't really think wearing the "C" makes much difference to be honest.

I didn't think he was quite the 3rd star of the game tonight like eva did, but he's been competing. He's been strong on the puck this year and made a lot of great plays. His defensive zone turnovers the past couple of seasons have been a bit worrisome though and that continued tonight.

He's never going to be the 90+ pt player again because he's not the same skater that he once was, but good luck finding a player who's going to compete harder during big games. And that's all that really has to be said about his leadership.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
datsykiandeke
nose for the net

Well did people think originally that lids was going to be as good of a captain as yzerman was. I mean we all expected it but there is soo much uncertainty with those kinds of things. I think deep down inside all wings fans knew it was going to happen but would said player be able to take the reigns and run with it and be as successful as his processor? It's one thing to be taught and/or playing with the best until you in that situation and you have to take it all in and make it happen. Lids did a phenomenal job and thus far I thinks Z is as well. Only time will tell but he is off to a great start.

datsykiandeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
joe89

Yes. He has turned a corner in his career now I think. Had a few injury riddled seasons after the Cup runs where he was just fighting through it, but now he's found his legs again and his game has followed. Good timing to get the C.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I think Z can be a better captain than Lids.
Z plays with infectious intensity.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
This. Zetterberg is more human than Nick. A guy can look at Lidstrom and see his poise and composure with the puck, but not everyone can mimic that. If they see Zetterberg hauling ass and taking the puck to the net, etc. they can try to copy that. I think Z is a bit more rah-rah, just based on their personalities.

02-07-2013, 11:53 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
I agree with Captain. I think Z could be a better C than Lids was. Lids was sort of the leader by default after Yzerman retired, but he isn't your typical captain type. Lids game was the super consistent type but it wasn't really the type that could take over a game. Z's intensity can actually take over a game, much like Yzerman's could. He can put the team on his back and change the outcome of a game, which is something that is really hard for a non-physical dman to do (even one has insanely amazing as Lids).

I think he has done a pretty good job this season, but I think he is still adjusting to this being his team. He had the one amazing game vs St. Louis but I think we'll see more out of him as the season continues.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

He's upped his play this season, that's for sure. And his production has increased as well. He was already a leader in the dressing room, so being captain is a natural move for him.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:38 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
This. I see it already too, he doesn't want this to stop on his watch. Zetterberg has been a slow starter, he did play overseas, but I think that C on his sweater has brought even an extra gear. He always competes but it is even on another level, aside from his game on back to back nights against the Columbus with the Flu he has brought it every night. He even tried getting more physical on the debacle of opening night. There is a real not on my watch attitude with him. For me he has been the Wings best player this year, slightly better than Datsyuk.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:39 AM
braille

he's definitely the most attractive red wings captain

braille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
This. I see it already too, he doesn't want this to stop on his watch. Zetterberg has been a slow starter, he did play overseas, but I think that C on his sweater has brought even an extra gear. He always competes but it is even on another level, aside from his game on back to back nights against the Columbus with the Flu he has brought it every night. He even tried getting more physical on the debacle of opening night. There is a real not on my watch attitude with him. For me he has been the Wings best player this year, slightly better than Datsyuk.
As important as the captaincy can be... in a specific game or even in a series...I don't know if there is anything Zetterberg can do to stop the slide.

That falls on Holland and, to a lesser extent, Babcock.

I'd say that D and Z have been pretty close. But maybe I'd give Z the edge thus far....Datsyuk hasn't hit his mark yet.

I don't think his line has played very good the last 3 games. Bertuzzi, in particular, has been awful since his two goal game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
JPE123

I think a captain can only lead by example and Zetterberg is the hardest worker on the ice in most games. If players don't want to get on board and follow the example he needs a coach to handle that. I've been a supporter of some of the bottom 6 because they are working hard, if not good results. What drives me nuts is half assed efforts like we see from some of our guys, even the ones with a lot of talent. Z is such a good example of not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy but nobody beats him by out working him

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
I think a captain can only lead by example and Zetterberg is the hardest worker on the ice in most games. If players don't want to get on board and follow the example he needs a coach to handle that. I've been a supporter of some of the bottom 6 because they are working hard, if not good results. What drives me nuts is half assed efforts like we see from some of our guys, even the ones with a lot of talent. Z is such a good example of not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy but nobody beats him by out working him
His empty net goal against St. Louis a week ago is a perfect example.

Remember last season people were suggesting moving Zetterberg?

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Holland is Amazing

Zets is a great lead by example guy much like Yzerman was, he also has the ability to score those clutch key goals that lift a team. I think he is a great capitain. What's amazing about Yzerman is how young he was named capitain. Having someone take the C other than Stevey Y was a huge shock for me but they couldn't have found two more deserving and world class players to fill the skates

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Pirate Captain! Coincidence? I think not.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910607

Yesterday I saw the Tarantino movie Django - Unhained, and that Christoph Waltz was just perfect lookalike what 50-year-old Zetterberg will be. Hopefully not a bounty hunter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Holland is Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post

OMG

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
JSBach

It's good to know that the leadership is in good hands. I'm surprised at how many of think that Zetterberg could, in some ways, be more effective than Lidstrom, but I won't embarrass myself by pretending to be a Wings expert.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Sadekuuro

He's perfectly suited. He'll be a fantastic captain.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

Holy ****...That's uncanny. Hope you don't mind me jacking that photo...

Last edited by detredWINgs: 02-09-2013 at 12:19 AM.
detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Bench
Realgud!

I can't believe how much that looks like Zetterberg.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:44 AM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

Quote:

Someone needs to photoshop a C on the captain and a Red Wings jersey on the parrot. Because at times, he's figuratively carrying this team on his shoulders

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:04 AM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Holy ****...That's uncanny. Hope you don't mind me jacking that photo...
Wow did I read that wrong...

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Gretzky called him the best Swede ever.

Not bad.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote