HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Who sits when Booth/Kesler arrive?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
  #126
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Saving money isn't the objective, it's allowing us to go over the cap until Booth returns. It's pretty complicated though.

I can't see management exposing Manny to waivers, he's a defensive specialist. This is just not a Gillis move.




Malhotra has decent value for what he does. He's at least worth a pick. San Jose would jump on him in a second, do we really want to have to take face offs against him, especially when we're already weak on them so far this year?
But thats what I mean, I don't think we get cap savings unless we spend over the cap. Like I said I just remember it being really complicated. Glad we have Gillman to do it for us.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
  #127
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Lapierre has looked considerably better in his last 3-4 games. But the central point remains - there are other people who should be sent down before Malhotra if this is just a roster move to accommodate players returning from injury. The only way this makes sense to me is if it is a precursor to something else.
I agree for the most part, but think it could also be to save cap money... I would prefer to keep him up over that though.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:20 PM
  #128
Fat Tony
Fire Benning
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
San Jose would jump on him in a second
I don't know about that. Their faceoff numbers didn't drop off at all when he left them. Teams will still want him (I think we still need him) but I don't think SJ is one of those teams.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
  #129
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,606
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I don't want Lapierre or Ebbett on this team over Malhotra. Lapierre has been next to useless with his new 20lbs of weight gain. And Ebbett is... Ebbett.

I really hope it's not true, that's shady to send Manny down.
Say what you want about lappy in the regular season.. But in the playoffs.. hes a beast. I would take lappy over manny in a heartbeat. But i dont want Manny to get waived at all.

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
  #130
thepuckmonster
Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Say what you want about lappy in the regular season.. But in the playoffs.. hes a beast. I would take lappy over manny in a heartbeat. But i dont want Manny to get waived at all.
I'll agree with you on reg season vs post season Lappy. Ebbett needs to go before Malhotra does. Guy is heart and soul.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
  #131
billvanseattle
Registered User
 
billvanseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chilliwacki
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,341
vCash: 500
Sorry but I love what Maholtra has done for us, but at a $2.5M cap hit for a face off specialist ... can't see anyone claiming him. I can see this being a case (if its true) of saying whos the mostly likely to clear waivers going down ....

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:40 PM
  #132
Wizeman*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
Say what you want about lappy in the regular season.. But in the playoffs.. hes a beast. I would take lappy over manny in a heartbeat. But i dont want Manny to get waived at all.
why would we waive Manny for the sake of keeping cam barker?

The player limit is not position specific. You can have all forwards and no goalie if you want.

And there are teams who take manny because hes a UFA and they wont need to eat his salary next year.

In fact, if our team needed a seasoned center who is excellent on faceoffs for a playoff run, we would claim him off waivers ourselves.

How does Manny get waived before Weise or Volpatti even , assuming Barker is better than Bobby orr so we cant waive him.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
  #133
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
If they're waiving Malhotra, I think that it's unlikely that they're hoping he clears.
Exactly. The cap space is worth more than Malhotra - be a huge asset heading into the trade deadline. There are going to be some players available that would help the Canucks in the playoffs a heck of lot more than Malhotra will.

As it is Malhotra has 0 points this season and is the highest minus player on the team.

Pity is that no one is likely to be interested in Malhotra (which may confound the many here who seem to think Malhotra is a valuable player) and he will sail thru waivers.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
  #134
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Does Flames1084 have inherent trustworthiness as a source?

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
  #135
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Does Flames1084 have inherent trustworthiness as a source?
He's Higgins' brother, so yes.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:12 PM
  #136
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 18,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Pity is that no one is likely to be interested in Malhotra (which may confound the many here who seem to think Malhotra is a valuable player) and he will sail thru waivers.
After hearing you talk about Andrew Ebbett I thought you were starting to see why Malhotra has value to us.

Malhotra is overpaid and not the player he was before the eye injury but he's still capable of contributing on the PK and defensively 5 on 5. Absolutely a better option than Ebbett at this point.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
  #137
pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Malhotra has decent value for what he does. He's at least worth a pick. San Jose would jump on him in a second, do we really want to have to take face offs against him, especially when we're already weak on them so far this year?
i think san jose would be the last team who would want him, they're already tops in FO% and have way too many centres, not to mention that they have their own slow, useless bottom 6 "faceoff specialist" in handzus.

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:17 PM
  #138
thepuckmonster
Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
After hearing you talk about Andrew Ebbett I thought you were starting to see why Malhotra has value to us.

Malhotra is overpaid and not the player he was before the eye injury but he's still capable of contributing on the PK and defensively 5 on 5. Absolutely a better option than Ebbett at this point.
Malhotra is a superior option to either Lapierre or Ebbett at this point. Lapierre is to slow to check, seems to lose his man more often than not and is regularly behind the play.

Manny is overpaid by 1mil at most and even if he clears waivers we still have a 1.6M cap hit. Not a Gillis move, he'd trade him for something so as to not retain salary for sure.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
  #139
thepuckmonster
Moderator
Professional Winner.
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
i think san jose would be the last team who would want him, they're already tops in FO% and have way too many centres, not to mention that they have their own slow, useless bottom 6 "faceoff specialist" in handzus.
San Jose is top in faceoffs because they calculate wins the same way they award assists. Very, very liberally.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
  #140
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
I haven't really given this much thought but it seems everybody is overanalyzing this or overvaluing malhotra no?

I mean, from my perspective, theyre sending down the player thats overpaid and barely making it in the lineup, giving him a better opportunity on another team or getting him back at half the salary. Whats so crazy about this?

Is this not all it is?

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
  #141
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
After hearing you talk about Andrew Ebbett I thought you were starting to see why Malhotra has value to us.

Malhotra is overpaid and not the player he was before the eye injury but he's still capable of contributing on the PK and defensively 5 on 5. Absolutely a better option than Ebbett at this point.
Illogical to assume that I prefer Ebbett over Malhotra. Never said anything like that.

Have said throughout this year and last year that Ebbett has no business being in the NHL. He's dreadful. I guess you have finally arrived at the same conclusion.

But just because Ebbett is horrible does mean that Malhotra is valuable. There is no logic here either.

IMO both are bad. If I had to choose I would say that Malhotra is better but that's along way from saying he valuable. Saying someone is not as bad as someone else does not mean you are saying they are good.

Ebbett should have been out here a long time ago and should go on waivers before Malhotra. But that doesn't mean Malhotra shouldn't also be considered for waivers. He is having another miserable season. He produces no offense, has no physical dimension to his play and has real problems getting the puck out of his zone. He is very weak on the puck and even his skating is getting more marginal. He wins face-offs and that's it.

The Canucks have used him as best as possible but there has to be a point where the returns are so minimal that you have to look to shake things up.

IMO you have been wrong in your belief in Ebbett and now you are wrong in your belief in Malhotra. Moreover, you also seem confused about what I am and have said.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
  #142
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 18,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Illogical to assume that I prefer Ebbett over Malhotra. Never said anything like that.

Have said throughout this year and last year that Ebbett has no business being in the NHL. He's dreadful. I guess you have finally arrived at the same conclusion.

But just because Ebbett is horrible does mean that Malhotra is valuable. There is no logic here either.
I never said you prefer Ebbett to Malhotra.

Not once have I ever said I want Andrew Ebbett on this team. You have me confused with somebody else.

And yes, there is logic in saying Malhotra brings value to us if he is better than everyone behind him on the depth chart, including Ebbett. Malhotra only hurts us if his salary gets in the way of bringing in an upgrade. To this point, that hasn't happened.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
  #143
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I never said you prefer Ebbett to Malhotra.

Not once have I ever said I want Andrew Ebbett on this team. You have me confused with somebody else.

And yes, there is logic in saying Malhotra brings value to us if he is better than everyone behind him on the depth chart, including Ebbett. Malhotra only hurts us if his salary gets in the way of bringing in an upgrade. To this point, that hasn't happened.
Im a bit confused by this. Kesler is coming back. When Kesler comes back. Somebody had to go. Nobody who is behind Malhotra is moving up. Ebbett isn't in the lineup because of this

We had a rookie emerge, and two centers on the 4th line.

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:20 AM
  #144
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 18,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Im a bit confused by this. Kesler is coming back. When Kesler comes back. Somebody had to go. Nobody who is behind Malhotra is moving up. Ebbett isn't in the lineup because of this

We had a rookie emerge, and two centers on the 4th line.
But he's not back. If he returns and Malhotra is off the roster, it makes sense. Maybe Kesler plays tomorrow...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
  #145
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
But he's not back. If he returns and Malhotra is off the roster, it makes sense. Maybe Kesler plays tomorrow...
Youre worried about the few games in between (if that)? Seriously? I guess fans need to reach when your team is on a 5 game streak

Im not worried.

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 AM
  #146
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,380
vCash: 576
I wonder if there is any truth of Malholtra being send down.......we see tomorrow but it is unlikely that will happen

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:13 AM
  #147
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,261
vCash: 500
maybe he retires? malhotra isnt the same player as he was once pre-injury. 2.5 is a bit too much for a 4th liner. but gillis is loyal to his free agent signings. so. who knows.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 AM
  #148
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
Malhotra should have been off this team like a 1 year ago.

Can't believe some fans feel Lappy is behind him on the depth charts.

Lappy was one of our best playoff players during that run.


People focus too much on a few % in faceoffs(which is the only thing Manny can do now), you still need to get the puck out after you win the draw.
At times I feel he has trouble even getting the puck out of his own zone.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:34 AM
  #149
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Sorry but I love what Maholtra has done for us, but at a $2.5M cap hit for a face off specialist ... can't see anyone claiming him. I can see this being a case (if its true) of saying whos the mostly likely to clear waivers going down ....
For a team that's not near the cap, its only for the rest of this season, and not even half the real dollars ( I think that's how it works?) It would be like a free rental and is an upgrade at face offs for any teams 3rd or 4th line.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:54 AM
  #150
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Im a bit confused by this. Kesler is coming back. When Kesler comes back. Somebody had to go. Nobody who is behind Malhotra is moving up. Ebbett isn't in the lineup because of this

We had a rookie emerge, and two centers on the 4th line.
I think the issue is why waive Malhotra only to keep Ebbett on the roster?

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.