HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Johan Hedberg + pick for Steve Mason

Old
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 500
Johan Hedberg + pick for Steve Mason

If there ever was a player who needed a change of scenery it is Mason. After a brilliant start he has stalled and been one of the worst goalies in the league. I'm thinking he can learn a thing or two from Brodeur while being the backup. He needs to be away from the pressure of being the starter or in a platoon as it is now. For New Jersey it is a high risk high reward reclamation project.

In Columbus Bobrovsky gets a solid veteran backup, which means that Columbus can focus entirely on developing Bobrovsky. They failed with Mason of course, but maybe they have learned a thing or two. The pick wherever it is will be one little piece in the rebuild.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
If there ever was a player who needed a change of scenery it is Mason. After a brilliant start he has stalled and been one of the worst goalies in the league. I'm thinking he can learn a thing or two from Brodeur while being the backup. He needs to be away from the pressure of being the starter or in a platoon as it is now. For New Jersey it is a high risk high reward reclamation project.

In Columbus Bobrovsky gets a solid veteran backup, which means that Columbus can focus entirely on developing Bobrovsky. They failed with Mason of course, but maybe they have learned a thing or two. The pick wherever it is will be one little piece in the rebuild.
Wait, what? So the Devils are going to give up a pick and a quality backup for a guy who "needs a change of scenery" more than anyone?

Why would the Devils want to give up a pick for any backup when they already have a great one? Steve Mason is no long term solution in goal, no sense in wasting assets to acquire..

In your words:

Hedberg ("solid veteran backup") + pick for Mason ("one of the worst goalies in the league")

so again, this somehow makes sense to you?

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
njdevils6

Hedberg
Tebenby
Tallinder

for

Mason
Foligno

njdevils6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
nj666

there is absolutely zero chance this will ever happen. nevermind the fact that we're happy with moose and he has a no-trade clause, mason is just terrible.

nj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

Terrible deal for the Jackets.... No reason at all for them to do that. Having a 1-2 of Mason and Bob right now creates a healthy battle for #1 forcing both guys to play to there best. Both still have a lot of potential(Mason in particular).

The Jackets aren't going to be a playoff team for a while so they have no need for a good backup when they already have 2 good backups/poor starters.

No reason at all for CBJ to do this.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:34 PM
PSGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Wait, what? So the Devils are going to give up a pick and a quality backup for a guy who "needs a change of scenery" more than anyone?

Why would the Devils want to give up a pick for any backup when they already have a great one? Steve Mason is no long term solution in goal, no sense in wasting assets to acquire..

In your words:

Hedberg ("solid veteran backup") + pick for Mason ("one of the worst goalies in the league")

so again, this somehow makes sense to you?
Hedberg is 39 is certainly not going to play this much during this shortened season. He has recently been a good backup, sure. Will he remain so however? There is a very real risk he will decline soon.

Yes, Mason is terrible, but I think part of that is being in the clownish Columbus organization.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:35 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Hedberg's got a NTC

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
nope

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:37 PM
mighty all the way

Why would NJ want Mason? Only upside is that NJ gets a younger goalie, but not a better one. And I heard that NJ has some young goalies that are coming up to replace the old dudes haha.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Hedberg is 39 is certainly not going to play this much during this shortened season. He has recently been a good backup, sure. Will he remain so however? There is a very real risk he will decline soon.

Yes, Mason is terrible, but I think part of that is being in the clownish Columbus organization.
But we are set in goal right now for the next two years. Why would we give up a pick when we are competitive for something that doesn't make our team any more competitive?

Everyone says goalies all of a sudden decline when they hit a certain age but as you said... Hedberg is 39 and is playing very well. You telling me the day he hits 40, he will immediately begin to suck? And Marty will suck the moment he turns 41?

And Hedberg will probably get close to 10 starts.. decent amount.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Hell No. Moose will not leave. Guy is soo good and a great locker room guy

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
hlaverty06

Tallinder+Tedenby for Anisimov+mid pick

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The guy who put up 4 shutouts in 23 starts last season and has already stopped 49 of 50 shots faced this season is not going to be traded for Steve Mason. Along with a pick on top of that. Yikes.

Don't undersell Hedberg to make this trade fair. This is terrible.
You cannot get a better back up on your roster than Moose.

Not to mention that he has a NTC because he finally was able to get his family to move up here with him and the fact that he's been a mentor to all the young Swedes on the team.

He's not going anywhere.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Why?

How can you even be certain that this "change of scenery" will do any good for Mason. His confidence could just be shot to the point that he isn't a serviceable NHLer anymore. I just don't see the risk.

Jackets would be lucky to get a 3rd or a 4th for the guy. Mason needs a therapist because he's totally lost all of his confidence. Just too risky.

Really the most I'd offer Tedenby/AHL player + 4th for Mason.

Your damaged goods for my damaged goods. Split the starts between Wedgewood/Mason and see who wins out once Marty and Moose are out of the picture. But this proposed trade really makes no sense to do this year or even next year as the Devils really need no help in the goalie department. Not sure if you have been watching NJ but Brodeur has been playing like a 23 year old at times.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:17 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

if I were the devils, i would do this in a heartbeat

Mason has as much talent as anyone. If there is any team that can insulate him and get his confidence back, its the devils.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post

Mason has as much talent as anyone. If there is any team that can insulate him and get his confidence back, its the devils.
Devils are always going to be a "win now" team and Hedberg is far too valuable to this team right now to take a chance on Mason.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post

That's true but it's just such a crapshoot. Because A) What if Mason becomes as unrealible as he is (in this case was) in Columbus.

However you then get B) Well what if Wedgewood doesn't work out?

Again a trade for a goalie doesn't even make sense to do until two years from now. I'm not even convinced that Mason's value is that high to begin with. However, I am convinced and do agree with that if any team could bring him back to his Calder form it's the New Jersey Devils.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Volchenkovs Face

It makes no sense from the Devil's POV. Hedberg's starts maybe far and few but when he is in the line up he plays a stellar game. He seems to give 100% no matter what. He has even resigned here twice(?) so why would they traded him for a guy who "needs that change of scenery". Also this isn't a forward to plug on one of the 4 lines, it's a goalie who has more of an impact if he doesn't pan out.

Volchenkovs Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
palindrom

The question is will Mason get a Qualifying offer next summer?

if not, he could become an UFA.

As a cheap UFA, i am sure he could find some teams interested in him.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Not much point in the OP offer for the Jackets. Mason's actually doing semi-okay so far (knock on wood), so this doesn't really get us anything we need.

Not sure how it makes any sense for NJ either. The only reason I can think of for sending Mason there is his hero worship of Brodeur. Nice story, but I'm not sure if that translates to a good hockey trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils6 View Post
Hedberg
Tebenby
Tallinder

for

Mason
Foligno
Um. Defensemen are pretty much the last thing we need. Giving up forwards for defensemen is a Bad Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Tallinder+Tedenby for Anisimov+mid pick
I'm sensing a recurring theme here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
The question is will Mason get a Qualifying offer next summer?
If he keeps up his current play, he just might - although that would send better than half the fanbase into apoplectic fits of nerdrage.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:24 AM
NHL Fanatik

Quote:

I'd like to know what you are basing your assumption that Hedberg will "decline" soon, off of?

If you are talking in a couple years, that is a different story; but as of right now, I don't see any reason he should decline... The man is 39, if there is any declining then I believe it has happened already. And if that is the case, then hell, he still has it and more.

NHL Fanatik is online now   Reply With Quote