HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top Centers for the 2013 Draft?

Old
03-06-2013, 01:33 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 500
Top Centers for the 2013 Draft?

I was looking at the Red Wings prospect pool today and I noticed that while being "loaded" with high upside wingers & defenceman we have few high upside centers. With Datsyuk possibly returning to Russia after next year who are the top centers in this draft & what would their maximum upside be?

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I was looking at the Red Wings prospect pool today and I noticed that while being "loaded" with high upside wingers & defenceman we have few high upside centers. With Datsyuk possibly returning to Russia after next year who are the top centers in this draft & what would their maximum upside be?
guys who will be #1 centers

MacKinnon
Drouin (natural center who plays wing)
Lindholm
Barkov

guys who could be #1 centers

Monahan
Dickenson
Shinkaruk (C/W)

guys who could be #2/3 guys

Lazar
Gauthier
Horvat (C/W)
Compher
Dauphin
Hurley (never seen play, could be higher)

their will also be some surprises

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Domi
Wennberg
Dickinson
Gauthier
Lazar
Horvat
Compher
Petan
Dauphin

These seem to be centers that I could see going in the first round. There are some others that are listed as centers but seem to play on the wing. I'll let someone else field the 'maximum upside' part of it.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

My top 10, in brackets is the player's projected ceiling, not projected result

1. Nathan Mackinnon (possible franchise player and #1 PPG two-way centre)
2. Aleksandr Barkov (#1 two-way centre, upwards of 70 points)
3. Elias Lindholm (#1 high-end playmaking centre)
4. Sean Monahan (possible #1C, likely #2C with great two-way play, good production and intangibles)
5. Frederick Gauthier (#1/2C with great size and playmaking)
6. Max Domi (#1/2C, not very big but plays aggressively and has great puck skills. Likely to play as a winger in the NHL)
7. Curtis Lazar (#2C, great defensively, very physical and with a very good shot. Very low bust likelihood due to skillset)
8. Bo Horvat (#2C, one of the hardest working players in the draft, built like a tank with a great hockeymind and solid puck skills)
9. JT Compher (#2C, another very hard working player, does everything well but nothing exceptionally)
10. Andre Burakowsky (#2C, very fast and good at puck pursuit. Will likely be more of a complementary scorer than someone who can carry the production of a line)

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Flair Hay

Thanks for the lists guys. Jets fan here who is looking at center first and foremost for our first round pick this year.

Anyone have things differently than:

1. MacKinnon (Drouin if you choose to include him)
2. Barkov
3. Lindholm
4. Monahan

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Gabranth
#19 #88

MacKinnon, Monahan and some Swedish guy, rest will bust.

Gabranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Mackinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan are the top-end guys in that order.

But this draft is loaded with centers, there are a lot of guys you can get lower in the draft. A personal favorite of mine is Laurent Dauphin.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Interesting info, thanks guys. I don't think the Wings will be bad enough to pick top 10 so there go most of the high end guys. Frederick Gauthier & Jason Dickinson are 2 guys that interest me & should fall into the range the wings could pick, anyone have a detailed scouting report on either? I've read that Dickinson could project to be a Mike Richards light but that's it for my knowledge on either of them.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
guys who will be #1 centers

MacKinnon
Drouin (natural center who plays wing)
Lindholm
Barkov

guys who could be #1 centers

Monahan
Dickenson
Shinkaruk (C/W)

guys who could be #2/3 guys

Lazar
Gauthier
Horvat (C/W)
Compher
Dauphin
Hurley (never seen play, could be higher)

their will also be some surprises

May I ask where you got that info? Because he certainly hasn't played any centre over the past 2 seasons and I've heard from people who watched him grow up he was always a winger.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Domi
Wennberg
Dickinson
Gauthier
Lazar
Horvat
Compher
Petan
Dauphin

These seem to be centers that I could see going in the first round. There are some others that are listed as centers but seem to play on the wing. I'll let someone else field the 'maximum upside' part of it.
Really solid list. I would agree, as of right now, this would probably be the best list.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
May I ask where you got that info? Because he certainly hasn't played any centre over the past 2 seasons and I've heard from people who watched him grow up he was always a winger.
Agreed. People on here love to say this when he's hardly played a single shift at that position in the Q. He's definitely not a "natural" center. All top forwards play some center in bantam and midget. That said he's talented enough that he could probably transition to the position if desired. I think he's better suited for the wing though.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
I was told that he was a center before coming to the Q and that he will play center next year with Halifax if he is back and MacKinnon is gone., his game also projects very good to play center.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

For the record, Drouin was listed as a centre for Lac-St. Louis when he was drafted by Halifax in 2011.

03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
My top 10, in brackets is the player's projected ceiling, not projected result

1. Nathan Mackinnon (possible franchise player and #1 PPG two-way centre)
2. Aleksandr Barkov (#1 two-way centre, upwards of 70 points)
3. Elias Lindholm (#1 high-end playmaking centre)
4. Sean Monahan (possible #1C, likely #2C with great two-way play, good production and intangibles)
5. Frederick Gauthier (#1/2C with great size and playmaking)
6. Max Domi (#1/2C, not very big but plays aggressively and has great puck skills. Likely to play as a winger in the NHL)
7. Curtis Lazar (#2C, great defensively, very physical and with a very good shot. Very low bust likelihood due to skillset)
8. Bo Horvat (#2C, one of the hardest working players in the draft, built like a tank with a great hockeymind and solid puck skills)
9. JT Compher (#2C, another very hard working player, does everything well but nothing exceptionally)
10. Andre Burakowsky (#2C, very fast and good at puck pursuit. Will likely be more of a complementary scorer than someone who can carry the production of a line)
I would think max domi is going to be a center. he's a lot like kadri. very creative center with high puck skills. I know there is this idea that smaller guys at the chl level who play center should play wing, but certain guys are going to have their game stymied by that. domi needs the space to be creative. look at how kadri is doing currently and look at him last year. its not a coincidence that he's playing so well at the center spot. while he has improved his game, he's also just given more room to use because of this. I would suggest domi is similar

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
tony d
Ruffles in Space

Top 5:

1) Mackinnon
2) Barkov
3) Lindholm
4) Monahan
5) Wennberg

03-07-2013, 05:25 PM
rockinghockey

I would say out of the entire draft we will be lucky for half the guys listed on here will be either a 1C or 2C.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
alphafox

Mackinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Lindholm
Domi

Those are the guys i think have #1 center upside (I know, no Monahan is intentional I think he is an excellent #2C but is essentially Toews lite in every aspect of his game. Kind of a Jordan Staal Who I still think is a great second line Center, not a true #1)

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I was told that he was a center before coming to the Q and that he will play center next year with Halifax if he is back and MacKinnon is gone., his game also projects very good to play center.
what?? to the person who said he has never played center or from ppl watching him grow up and he onlynplayed wing whoever told you that is lying. Drouin played center for tumes of jr hockey and some midget. to the quote above, who is your source? I have no reason to believe this is true and not speculation. if these are the plans for him then they are news to Drouin and if he is to believed, Russel too.

Drouin is much better in the nhl developing as a winger than a center. If spending a yr and a half as an nhl prospect is taking some offensive zone face-offs means you're a natural centerthen that is news to me. briere or Giroud playing wing are natural centers. kane or nash are not.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
DK28

Sasha Barkov is the guy I want out of all the centers. He reminds me of jaromir Jagr. Big body with skill and sweet hands, just seems to make things happen all the time. Always is in the right place at the right time. Hockey iQ is something you can't teach. When you watch video, you see a calmness and effortless quality about his game, and great with the puck like Jagr. Someone is going to get a great player.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:00 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

1. Mackinnon
2.Barkov
3. Lindholm
4. Monahan
5.Hurley

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote