HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Though I've always been way more of a supporter of Gagner (the guy is one year older than justin schultz) than a lot on here what you say has merit, especially for Hemksy but you should honestly know that our front office is too dim to see it that way and have never been light on their feet regarding deals. They would have to have 3 months to evaluate any offer.
I'll ask you the same question I asked Soundwave since you support a trade of Hemmer and Gagner. What would you get in return for them?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Another couple positives were that they were 50% on the dot plus apparently they had ZERO giveaways in the game which is kind of amazing... although they really didn't have the puck enough to give it away so that might explain that stat.

On second thought... they won half the faceoffs and never gave the puck away... yet they only had 14 shots? WTF?

I'd honestly have puck shooting drills all day long if I was Krueger... just practice shooting the puck from anywhere and everywhere... anyone who can hit a 4'x6' plyboard 50% of the time from 30 feet away gets to go on the top line.
Somebody must have made a mistake... although, we rarely had the puck.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
#ualberta

@EdmontonOilers: "You need a goalie to steal one for you once in a while. We were flat as a team and he was world-class." - Coach Krueger on Dubnyk
@EdmontonOilers: "Sometimes to get out a funk you need a win like this. The goal by Magnus at the end was outstanding." - Coach Krueger

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I just don't get why you would suggest trading these two guys, who I agree completely are playing over their heads at this point, for an indeterminable return. By trading them, you gut 2/3 of your second line. Are we likely to find another team willing to gut their top 6 as well? I doubt it.

So expecting Tambo to trade a couple of our top performing players is silly.
You need to find a team that's in a bad spot (COL with O'Reilly), or a team that's looking to shake things up overall (WAS, many others). And then see what happens. Phily traded Carter and Richards, CBus traded Nash, sometimes crazy **** does happen. I'd like to see the Oilers be in one of deals for a change. And for a change, they actually have some assets that are worth something.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
I'll ask you the same question I asked Soundwave since you support a trade of Hemmer and Gagner. What would you get in return for them?
One player I'd like to target would be Cody Hodgson from Buffalo but he probably won't be moved because Vanek is on fire and Hodgson is playing on that line apparently.

But I've liked his game and was ecstatic that the Canucks traded him out of the division. He's bigger than Gagner and would be a better long term fit at the no.2 C IMO.

Okposo + Nedrettier + Reasoner (throw in) for Hemsky + MPS + Peckham or something I'd be open to as well.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:18 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Wow, sad performance. We need a GM who's capable of filling needs on this team, and not just content with drafting high.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oStealthKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'd pair Hemsky + Gagner together, see what the market out there is, maybe you can score a big deal.
see if those 2 alone or maybe with ana 2nd could get yandle? or something like gagner 2nd and b level prospect for hanzal

oStealthKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
@EdmontonOilers: "You need a goalie to steal one for you once in a while. We were flat as a team and he was world-class." - Coach Krueger on Dubnyk
@EdmontonOilers: "Sometimes to get out a funk you need a win like this. The goal by Magnus at the end was outstanding." - Coach Krueger
Coach Krueger said the things we wanted to hear? Lets bury this moment and never speak of it again. #Firekrueger #ihatepositivity #tradeeveryone #HFOil

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
I support a trade of Hemsky. I'm not the GM, last time I looked steve tambellini is he gm, it's his job.

I would guess that any proposal made by either one of us would either be selling those players short or totally unrealistic in your view. Correct?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Apologies to the Blue Jackets fanbase, you deserved that game, our guys deserve a bag skate after that crap effort.

Trade Hemsky and Gagner for size now while they still actually have value.
With all due respect this is nuts. With Hemsky we finally have held on to a reasonable talented player who is now in prime of career. WE absolutely need experienced players his age in the lineup and topsix. You can't have all kids and it doesn't work that way.

As far as Gagner leading the club in pts, only 23, and just rounding into prime of life and is only getting better. REally I'm amazed you can't see that. Yesterday you referred to him as basically a player without talent. What the hell was that no look BACKHAND PERFECT pass for the winnning goal that fooled everybody in the building.

Its funny that the many times Gagner makes a play like that people discard it from memory and go back to saying "Sammy Snowpants"

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I mean, I can't feel bad after a win but man that win did not inspire a ton of confidence.

There were positives so lets start out with those. Dubnyk stood on his head. the guy for every game but one(Sharks) has given us a chance to win. Night in and night out. He's proving that he's got what it takes to be a #1 in this league.

The PK played well for the most part. Hemsky had jump.

Now to the bad. For some reason this team chooses not to play simple fundamental hockey. CBJ does not have the talent upfront we do, yet they are playing the style we should be right now. Grind it out cycle hockey to produce shots. With the offensive capabilities we have up front, if we played like that I'm sure we would produce more goals at ES. Hell we produced pressure when the kid line did it earlier. We generated so very little this game it looked bad.

We can't get it out of our own zone properly. Either giveaways or inability to defend against the cycle, we make it tougher on ourselves.

And our transition game needs to get better. God I swear I've said that the last 3-4 years.

I'm sure it'll look bad that I'm critiquing the Oilers after 2 points in regulation but that win does not inspire confidence. CBJ played us out of the rink. We have some real fundamental issues which could have resulted in another loss had it not been for some real lucky bounces (which feel good to be on the other end of) and some individual plays. 25% of the season done, time is of the essence if we want to compete for a spot at the dance.

SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You need to find a team that's in a bad spot (COL with O'Reilly), or a team that's looking to shake things up overall (WAS, many others). And then see what happens. Phily traded Carter and Richards, CBus traded Nash, sometimes crazy **** does happen. I'd like to see the Oilers be in one of deals for a change. And for a change, they actually have some assets that are worth something.
That's great in theory, and I don't disagree with it. My issue is with posters talking like these trades are easy to do. They're not. They're rare.

Again, to make this kind of trade work for us, we need to get back a 2C and a replacement for Hemsky. And hope they have chemistry with Yak. The number of teams willing to trade those pieces, especially at this point in the year, is minimal, if not non-existent.

But I know plenty of people here like to chant TRADE TRADE TRADE as a cure for everything that ails the team.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

How is Hodgson being tossed around as an upgrade on Gagner? Guy is getting points handed to him thanks to Vanek. Terrible idea.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Sorrow and more grief as we watch Sammy have a wonderful career somewhere else and wonder why Ray Whitney II couldn't have had all those pts and years here..

Not knowing your history people..

Old
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With all due respect this is nuts. With Hemsky we finally have held on to a reasonable talented player who is now in prime of career. WE absolutely need experienced players his age in the lineup and topsix. You can't have all kids and it doesn't work that way.

As far as Gagner leading the club in pts, only 23, and just rounding into prime of life and is only getting better. REally I'm amazed you can't see that. Yesterday you referred to him as basically a player without talent. What the hell was that no look BACKHAND PERFECT pass for the winnning goal that fooled everybody in the building.

Its funny that the many times Gagner makes a play like that people discard it from memory and go back to saying "Sammy Snowpants"
Fact is though a GM has to have some long term vision here.

Is a 5'9 kid going to be your long term no.2 C with Nugent Hopkins (skinnier than a school girl) as your no.1 C?

Yes or no?

Is Hemsky in the long term plans? He turns 30 this August. Is his trade value ever going to get higher than it is now (healthy and producing)?

A GM has to be aware of this stuff, but ours probably is not so you have nothing to worry about.

The only thing Tambellini knows how to do is show up to the draft selection and lottery on time.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

As far as Gagner leading the club in pts, only 23, and just rounding into prime of life and is only getting better. REally I'm amazed you can't see that. Yesterday you referred to him as basically a player without talent. What the hell was that no look BACKHAND PERFECT pass for the winnning goal that fooled everybody in the building. Its funny that the many times Gagner makes a play like that people discard it from memory and go back to saying "Sammy Snowpants"
No mention on the play he made getting it out to begin with, dissapointing replacement

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:

Ftr, i refer to Samwise as Snowpants out of a dear and loving affection for him. Also - it's kind of misguided to trade Hemsky and ask for "gritty veteran leadership" on the other hand (he's the only "vet" doing "anything")

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I support a trade of Hemsky. I'm not the GM, last time I looked steve tambellini is he gm, it's his job.

I would guess that any proposal made by either one of us would either be selling those players short or totally unrealistic in your view. Correct?
Impossible to say without hearing your thoughts. Surely you have them as you're suggesting the team goes that route.

I don't know what the harm is in you sharing your ideas with the board. I doubt you care what I have to say with regards to the legitimacy of your proposals regardless.

EDIT: Nor should you.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Harley

I thought Potter played a pretty strong game. As did the whole D core. Under big pressure all night and lots of dump behind, chase, and paste to the wall. Whitney shouldn't get back in until we either need him due to injury or someone plays so bad you think about it.

Smyth needs a sit down. Not providing anything but stupid penalties isn't what you want from a veteran. PRV is finding it. Still soft but even if he is always soft he can still provide a lot. Could become an absolutely dynamic penalty killer. Could become an elite third liner and that is exactly what we need.

Dubnyk is becoming the man. I was ready to give up on him but he has been a top 10 netminder all year. The Oilers belief and patience with him may pay off in spades. Good on everybody involved with that.

I won't moan about the game. We were tired and beaten down by 5 straight loses but managed to get 2 points. And 2 points is what hockey is all about. And hopefully it fires the troops up a bit.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
You havent a clue! He was way to slow to keep up with umberger,
Speed had nothing to do with that play. RJU is a smart player who has been in this league a long time. He knows how to work his way off the boards while using his body to shield the puck. Nothing gagner could have done there without taking a penalty.

Quote:
Hate and a misfit isnt the same!
I'm so tired of people acting like a 6'3" 200lbs second line center would magically solve the problems on this team. Here's a fact for you. Gagner has always carried his share of the water for this team. From the day he first stepped on the ice as an eighteen year old kid until today. Sure he could be faster or bigger and yeah, he sometimes makes poor plays, but if you think a "big body" = great fit then perhaps its you who needs to take another look at how the game of hockey works. I suspect you won't though because you've already decided that Gagner "isn't a fit".

Quote:
If you couldnt see Gags flaws tonight, look at the game one more time.
I watched the game thanks. Gagner had a weak game against the Wings and I said so in PGT. He was more than fine tonight. I suspect you are riveted to your chair looking for him to make a mistake so you can come here and post something about how "he isn't a fit".

Quote:
A broken play and a empty netter doesnt make him a good 2 c for the future.
How about being the leading scorer on a team full of lotto picks?

Quote:
And stop throw s hit on other posters you acts like a 13 years old boy!
Just trying to lower myself to your level so you can understand me.

Last edited by harpoon: 02-10-2013 at 08:31 PM.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Sorrow and more grief as we watch Sammy have a wonderful career somewhere else and wonder why Ray Whitney II couldn't have had all those pts and years here..

Not knowing your history people..
Replacement, you're doing it wrong:

TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It's not hate, it's a GIFT that's been handed to Tambellini that both Hemsky and Gagner are playing above their heads right now and should garner a much larger return now than they would have otherwise.

Predictably though Tambellini won't do anything this year except show up to the draft on time.
You don't know this. It isn't a known, Its what you think through a very biased opinion on who this player is.

Old
oilexport

I would not trade Hemsky or Gagner and i"m no real fan of Sam. These guys are playing well and any trade with them will be lateral and not make us better.

Addition by subtraction, bye bye Symth

If we can upgrade a center or two with drafts and maybe a young b prospect. This point would apply for the last 20 years...

keep replacing these players with size in mind (you know, like not bringing up a 165 lbs center)

Oh ya, stuff Tambo in a envelope and mail him to the Pacific Ocean...

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
You don't know this. It isn't a known, Its what you think through a very biased opinion on who this player is.
Is this kid at his height/size the no.2 center who can take this team anywhere?

Oiler fans want it both ways. "Fill those holes!". Well ok, uh, no one is going to give you anything of value for crap like Smyth, Whitney, etc. though.

A good GM knows when to make a move when he has value (probably inflated value) on his hands.

Tambellini isn't that type of GM though, so like I said you probably have nothing to worry about. He's not going to do ****.

We gotta address every need through the draft, so that means Stu, you better step your game up, because we need those 2nd/3rd round picks to pay off badly and I don't like what I'm seeing from Pitlick and the like at the AHL level.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
I would not trade Hemsky or Gagner and i"m no real fan of Sam. These guys are playing well and any trade with them will be lateral and not make us better.

Addition by subtraction, bye bye Symth

If we can upgrade a center or two with drafts and maybe a young b prospect. This point would apply for the last 20 years...

keep replacing these players with size in mind (you know, like not bringing up a 165 lbs center)

Oh ya, stuff Tambo in a envelope and mail him to the Pacific Ocean...
And how's that magically going to happen? Are teams going to gift us these talented players with size?