HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Probably slightly less pissy-ness.
Doubt it.

40 shots and just can't finish against a crappy Oilers team! This was as must win as they can be. Typical of this team just not having any finish! 40 shots and we can't win!? Bobrovsky has to make that stop... he just can't make the big save when we need it. We should consider Luongo.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I am a little scared that Gagner is going to go at a PPG clip for the entire 48 game season and we'll have to give him 4.5-5 mil per. Nothing ever works out for us. Sigh.
If he kept it up that wouldn't be so bad. But I think his ceiling would be 3.5 per.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Gagner tied for 14th in league scoring, 1 pt away from topten scoring btw, leads the Oilers in pts, has 60pts in 87GP over last year and this, and is improving and willing to improve his game in everyway.

Not only is he on the pk now he made the hilite reel play of the night on the pk forcing a puck out along the boards in own end off an excellent read, which causes the 2 on 1 break with an excellent no look backhand pass for the winning goal.

Trouble is Gagner is getting better every year and the return we would get them would be unlikely to reflect that.

Its ironic we're talking about trading Hemsky and GAgner and then complaining about players not wanting to play here for all those years.

How do we reward loyalty to club?

Hopefully the org is thinking differently.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Draft the BPA. Always.

You need a GM who's actually proactive with trades though to fill needs, and we don't have that.
Yes, I know. My point is, if it wasn't for his injury, I think Gally would've BEEN the BPA, and just happens to be a MUCH better fit for this team moving forward. JMO.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
My guess is Tambo offers a 2 year deal (he seems to offer those a lot), Gagner insists on a 4-5 year deal, and the battle begins.
His agent will want a 5-6 year deal. No question. If he didn't ask for that he wouldn't be doing his job.

They know our management is stupid anyway. Ask for the moon. We are the franchise that was paying Shawn Horcoff 7 million a year as of last season.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Yes, I know. My point is, if it wasn't for his injury, I think Gally would've BEEN the BPA, and just happens to be a MUCH better fit for this team moving forward. JMO.
I don't think he is. He has 1 goal total? Which was kind of a flukey tip in?

I value a sniper like Yakupov moreso. On the Habs given a general higher hockey IQ over there (it seems like) Yak might have 6 or 7 goals who knows. We never pass this kid the puck.

Old
MIL OIL

Quote:
Burke is far better than any GM the Oilers have had in ages.

Even in Toronto, if that Kessel offer sheet was a few spots lower, they'd have won that trade probably easily (4 time consecutive 30+ goal scorer still in his 20s? yes please).

Lupul trade? Win for Toronto. Phaneuf trade? Win for Toronto given that they sold Sutter a bunch of garbage. JVR trade? Win for Toronto IMO, he's playing well there. Kadri looks good for a 7th overall too.

When's the last time we won a trade by a country mile for a player that actually contributed to our top six?

Burke's achilles heel is he can't recognize goaltending talent for ****. So you'd want to make sure you have a decent goalie in place before he takes over.
Couldnt have said it better. Tho burke might have had a little more to work with in toronto. Like you said nobody wants garbage like smyth, whitney, horcoff (only because of his contract). And it kinda nerve racking to talk about moving any young guns. But with hemsky and gagner he might brew something that could benifit us. Having said that even oilers fans who likes burke would have their doubts. Intresting to think about to say the least.

MIL OIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Burke is far better than any GM the Oilers have had in ages.

Even in Toronto, if that Kessel offer sheet was a few spots lower, they'd have won that trade probably easily (4 time consecutive 30+ goal scorer still in his 20s? yes please).

Lupul trade? Win for Toronto. Phaneuf trade? Win for Toronto given that they sold Sutter a bunch of garbage. JVR trade? Win for Toronto IMO, he's playing well there. Kadri looks good for a 7th overall too.

When's the last time we won a trade by a country mile for a player that actually contributed to our top six?

Burke's achilles heel is he can't recognize goaltending talent for ****. So you'd want to make sure you have a decent goalie in place before he takes over.
This post got a chuckle out of me. Most available resources of all teams in the NHL the only team worse in like forever is the Oilers.
I guess far better is simple math. We are the worst (1) TO is second worse (2) that would make twice as good. Kind of like saying my dump smelled better than yours.

Is a fact, far better GM.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Tyrolean

Pathetic game by the Oilers. If not for Dubnyk, they lose by at least 4 or 5 goals. Seems like they like to play passive and think they are the PK the entire game. Team is not going anywhere this year until they change their work ethic and play a lot smarter.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Fistric is getting hammered in the media for his game despite his +2 rating on the evening. I wasn't paying too much attention to individuals as most of the team was putrid.

Is there truth to what they're saying or did Ryan Whitney get to them? :/

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Soundwave

I almost missed Whitney because his bumbling brand of defense is actually more entertaining than our offense is right now. At least it can pass for comedy.

Old
senorchang

refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk refs and dubnyk

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
While I don't agree with trading Gagner(he's really grown this season), I can see Soundwave's point of view.

It's becoming apparent that the top-6 has some imbalance. We don't have the players who can do the gritty stuff consistently. Take todays game for example. How many times have we seen a player on this team do what Umberger did on his goal? Or how about drive to the net like Foligno did?

We don't have that sort of presence up front. And if free agent has shown us anything, those talents don't often make it there nor consider us.

To not even consider idea doesn't make sense. We've been the laughing stock of the league.
Hemsky did the same thing in the second period. The CBJ announcers were whining he should have received a goaltender interference penalty.

Carry on.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Fistric is getting hammered in the media for his game despite his +2 rating on the evening. I wasn't paying too much attention to individuals as most of the team was putrid.

Is there truth to what they're saying or did Ryan Whitney get to them? :/
Fistric?

Thought he was fine. If anything, one of the more low event defensemen on the night when the team needed stable, error free defense from the defensive core.

Something they most definately wouldn't have gotten with Whitney

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
And where's Ales Hemsky leading us? To another lottery pick?

If our kids aren't good enough, then you need to move other pieces that you have of value to upgrade in areas of need.

We're getting another top 10 pick this year whether we want it or not it looks like, but there has to be some movement outside of that too.
The lottery picks started coming in once the kids got here. When Hemsky and Gagner were leading the way, we were at least fighting for the playoffs.

I think the kids have great upside but they are flawed hockey players (RNH isn't but he is just terribly snake-bitten right now). If they were as good as everybody thought they were, we wouldn't be this bad. Hell they couldn't even dominate the AHL. The barons don't seem to be any worse without them.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Fistric?

Thought he was fine. If anything, one of the more low event defensemen on the night when the team needed stable, error free defense from the defensive core.

Something they most definately wouldn't have gotten with Whitney
To be fair it's Jonathan Willis leading the anti-Fistric brigade and he's kind of a fool.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
The lottery picks started coming in once the kids got here. When Hemsky and Gagner were leading the way, we were at least fighting for the playoffs.

I think the kids have great upside but they are flawed hockey players (RNH isn't but he is just terribly snake-bitten right now). If they were as good as everybody thought they were, we wouldn't be this bad. Hell they couldn't even dominate the AHL. The barons don't seem to be any worse without them.
Well maybe Nathan MacKinnon or Seth Jones will be the real deal then. If we keep playing this way it won't be long till we're in the hunt for them.

Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I can see us firing Tambellini and hiring Burke. Lowe and Burkie have "made up" in a way.

I hope we fire Tambellini. I'm sick of seeing his smiling mug on the TV every TSN draft lottery special. Jump in a lake, Stevey.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:02 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not only is he on the pk now he made the hilite reel play of the night on the pk forcing a puck out along the boards in own end off an excellent read, which causes the 2 on 1 break with an excellent no look backhand pass for the winning goal.
Yup. With the team on its heels and in danger of gassing another game, Gagner makes a play like that - on the PK no less. Slow and weak that he is he somehow managed to muscle the puck past the defender and hold his one stride advantage all the way down the ice until a team mate could catch up. Its a play that wins the game for the team. How many guys on this club can put that pass right on the tape?

Yet only on hfoil will posters then come on and belittle the effort as a "broken play" and call for Gagner to be traded. I just don't get it.

And in case my earlier post wasn't clear enough - great shot by MPS and great job getting himself up the ice to create an option for Gagner.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
He wasn't the BPA and won't be the BPA.

Yakupov will score ALOT of goal, goal scorers are very hard to just go and get.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Who are the kids you are referring to before Hall, as he was the first lottery pick.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
To be fair it's Jonathan Willis leading the anti-Fistric brigade and he's kind of a fool.
He will have some special stat that proves that Fistric blows and Whitney rules I am sure.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I can see us firing Tambellini and hiring Burke. Lowe and Burkie have "made up" in a way.

I hope we fire Tambellini. I'm sick of seeing his smiling mug on the TV every TSN draft lottery special. Jump in a lake, Stevey.
Get ready for Darryl Sutter trades if that happens.

Gagner and Hemsky for Stempniak.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oiltankjob Fail

No thanks to Burke as gm would rather have anyone else.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Oh, that explains it.

He's not really "media" though. Even as lazy as the mainstream media is these days, they don't stoop to googling themselves for writing material.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote