HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good would the Wings be with Semin and Carle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 04:40 AM
  #126
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Not buying it. Nobody in the NHL wanted him. Everybody wants a young 30-40 goal scorer on a one year contract, but nobody wanted him. That's enough to make you go Mhmmmm....

What do they know that we don't? Probably everything.
That's some funny logic there. So the guy who was closest to Syomin doesn't have a say in this, but the GMs whom we never get a word from overrule anything the players next to Sasha say? I call BS.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
  #127
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,570
vCash: 500
We would have just been better off trading for Jaybo like I said 100 times over

He would be making kronner look like a #5 dman in comparision to how they have both been playing this year and would actually be able to move and skate the puck up the ice and get it on to the sticks of our forwards

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:56 AM
  #128
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Uh... It was the other way around. Washington had interest in resigning him, but Semin outright ruled Washington out, stating he wanted more responsibilities that the team for whatever reason wouldn't give him.
Semin's biggest problem was Ovechkin. He wanted the same role as AO, and as a same kind of right-handed sniper he could never have that spot at Capitals.

Also, if you think it from Capitals management side, 16 million in two Wingers would have been just stupid management. If you load the money somewhere, it's to center position (like they did adding Ribeiro, and Adam Oates kind of builds his team around playmakind centers) or to defence. You just don't put 16 million in two wingers under salary cap era, if you want to win.

Carolina lacked that kind of a guy (right-handed first line sniper, all the other big names there are lefties: E.Staal, Skinner, J.Staal, T.Ruutu etc.), and now Semin has found a good home from there.


Last edited by Henkka: 02-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
  #129
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Which I'm fine with. If lazey franzen has 9 points in 12 games... Lazy Semin with 11 points in 12 games is even better.
But not $3m a year better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I made my kids leave the room before I started reading your response, didn't want them to see their old man break down in tears
Oh come on, Bricksey, I'm a gentle soul. Unless you piss me off. I'm more like Mickey; I'm nobody's "nemesis."

Quote:
It's definitely a tough call for me either way. Brunner panning out so far is certainly making up for not signing a premier scorer. I still don't like Franzen's term and think he'll be unproductive sooner rather than later, so I do hope that KH works on bringing in a younger scorer via trade or UFA (open the vault for Horton if the B's don't re-sign him). I'm also hoping that last season wasn't just Flip overachieving offensively, but I kinda think it was.
Right, and Brunner was the chance Holland took as opposed to signing Semin. Luckily it's paying off, but imagine the hindsight calls for Semin if it wasn't. Yeesh.

As far as Franzen goes, I don't like him at all; his motivation seems to wax and wane WAY too frequently, and he plays a lot smaller than he is. Hell, Tatar plays bigger than Franzen, and he's listed at 5'10"...

What really going to bake your noodle is when you realize Flip and Hudler will produce with anyone, as long as they're together. I'm not trying to turn this into a Hudler thread, but a top-6 of Brunner-Datsyuk-_____ and Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler? Yeah, there wouldn't be much issue scoring.


Last edited by RedMenace: 02-14-2013 at 10:48 AM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  #130
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post



Right, and Brunner was the chance Holland took as opposed to signing Semin. Luckily it's paying off, but imagine the hindsight calls for Semin if it didn't?
While ive been pleasantly surprised by Brunner, I for one would be cautiously optimistic we arent just seeing him on an early hot streak. It just seems too good to be true. Ville Leino scored 9 points in his first 12 games too


Last edited by CloneHakanPlease*: 02-14-2013 at 01:31 PM.
CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
  #131
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
No doubt that Semin would of been lovely to have on one year deal and we can do without Carle.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
  #132
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Unfortunately, we will never know. Unless, of course, KH comes to his senses in the off-season and signs Semin... Nah, we will never know.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:21 PM
  #133
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Oh come on, Bricksey, I'm a gentle soul. Unless you piss me off. I'm more like Mickey; I'm nobody's "nemesis."
Ah, save your breath for cooling your porridge, RM...

Your parting shot in every argument here should be "You should **** off now while you still got the legs to carry you." There's really no coming back from that one.

Quote:
What really going to bake your noodle is when you realize Flip and Hudler will produce with anyone, as long as they're together. I'm not trying to turn this into a Hudler thread, but a top-6 of Brunner-Datsyuk-_____ and Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler? Yeah, there wouldn't be much issue scoring.
Consider my noodle sufficiently baked, then. I was okay with walking away from Hudler as long as the replacement brought more speed to the lineup. So far, Brunner has shown a lot more speed and decent playmaking ability also, just want to see him get stronger on his skates when he has the puck.

I still want to see an improvement in the spot on Datsyuk's wing currently occupied by Bert. Hoping KH is able to pull a trade or FA move for guy like Horton this off-season.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
  #134
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Ah, save your breath for cooling your porridge, RM...

Your parting shot in every argument here should be "You should **** off now while you still got the legs to carry you." There's really no coming back from that one.
At least I didn't call your mum a "tart."

Quote:
Consider my noodle sufficiently baked, then. I was okay with walking away from Hudler as long as the replacement brought more speed to the lineup. So far, Brunner has shown a lot more speed and decent playmaking ability also, just want to see him get stronger on his skates when he has the puck.

I still want to see an improvement in the spot on Datsyuk's wing currently occupied by Bert. Hoping KH is able to pull a trade or FA move for guy like Horton this off-season.
The sad thing is, Samuelsson was supposed to replace Hudler; for all intents and purposes, I think Holland was hoping Brunner would be Semin Lite -- which he is, so far.

Eh, enough about Hudler though. He won't be back for at least another year.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
  #135
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Semin would look legendary in Red. Imagine the creativity between him Z, and Datsyuk? Hopefully they sign him next year on a one year. The Red Wings need to replace their Russian contingent, when is the last time they didnt have a Russian on the team? What will they do when Datsyuk retires. It will be a bad omen I think.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
  #136
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
That's some funny logic there. So the guy who was closest to Syomin doesn't have a say in this, but the GMs whom we never get a word from overrule anything the players next to Sasha say? I call BS.
Why can't you just admit that if Semin was so great he would have got a bigger contract?

It's not some GM conspiracy against him. The dude has issues. And that's fine, I would have taken his issues on a short term deal (I wanted to bold that as it gets lost in the shuffle), but to ignore them completely is willful ignorance.

Parise got the moon and stars thrown at him by every team in the league on July 1st. Semin got a few short term deals from a handful of teams that took almost a month to negotiate. Both age and statistically, those guys are not that far apart, so clearly there's something else at play.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:16 PM
  #137
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Why can't you just admit that if Semin was so great he would have got a bigger contract?

It's not some GM conspiracy against him. The dude has issues. And that's fine, I would have taken his issues on a short term deal (I wanted to bold that as it gets lost in the shuffle), but to ignore them completely is willful ignorance.

Parise got the moon and stars thrown at him by every team in the league on July 1st. Semin got a few short term deals from a handful of teams that took almost a month to negotiate. Both age and statistically, those guys are not that far apart, so clearly there's something else at play.
Its really hard to imagine how a player so good on the ice can ruin the team so bad. I mean that is the fear right

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:30 PM
  #138
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
Its really hard to imagine how a player so good on the ice can ruin the team so bad. I mean that is the fear right
I don't know. All I know is Parise got a contract laced in diamonds and gold and Semin, with very similar career numbers, can't get a commitment.

And since I don't think GMs are in the business of passing on great players based upon TSN badmouthing, there's something up we don't know about. I haven't the foggiest idea, and like I said, I would totally risk a player of his level on a short deal. I think the Wings have a strong veteran and leadership group that can handle any bad eggs without too much fuss.

If the reports are true, nobody wanted him for more than 2 years. Where there's smoke, etc. etc. *shrug*

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:38 PM
  #139
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I don't know. All I know is Parise got a contract laced in diamonds and gold and Semin...
Couldn't get past that part. Sorry.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
  #140
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Couldn't get past that part. Sorry.




What more could a girl want on this Valentine's day weekend?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  #141
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Under the Bridge
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post




What more could a girl want on this Valentine's day weekend?
I think this picture fits the theme better:



Also, apparently he really does enjoy showering his teammates with love:

Quote:
"Sanya Ovechkin came up to me with a sly grin and smiled at me, 'Varlam, dude, congratulations!' I gave him a hug back, and at that moment I was hit (in) the face..."

"Alexander Semin," he was told

"So it was Sema?!! I'm glad I closed my eyes..."


No word on whether or not he had his mouth open and everything.

Guess he can't be ALL bad, right?


Last edited by RedMenace: 02-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  #142
HockeyGuy1975
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
OP here. First, thanks to all posters for making this the first thread I ever started that has exceeded 3 replies.

Being a Flyers fan first and foremost, and also having lived in the DC for several years during Semin's time there, I think there are misconceptions about both players.

Carle is a much better dman than most of the posters here are acknowledging. He definitely has some defensive lapses. He would have significantly helped the Wings transition game. Although I don't think he will, I would not be surprised to see Carle on the US olympic team next year.

Semin is an impressionable guy. He will always have off-nights because of his moodiness. But, on the positive side, I think he would be highly influenced by the Wings` culture of hard work and team play. Ultimately, the question is whether Semin would have made the Wings better (because the Wings had plenty of cap space for his salary). And I think there is no doubt he would have. The Wings top 6 has a major hole being filled by Bert.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  #143
icKx
Registered User
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Think of this as you watch Dan 'Banana Peel' Cleary flounder all over the ice next game


icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  #144
Jurky
Free the HolySlapper
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Think of this as you watch Dan 'Banana Peel' Cleary flounder all over the ice next game


But but but......He's a locker room cancer

Absolutely filthy pass

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
  #145
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
But but but......He's a locker room cancer

Absolutely filthy pass
Makes me so mad. Miss out on Parise and Suter. Pass on Semin. A righthanded 40 goal scoring sniper to play with Pav, that's a responsible 2 way player. Sign Sammy.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:06 PM
  #146
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus
 
TheFirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yoshinoyama, Nara
Country: Japan
Posts: 766
vCash: 518
Semin may be a locker room cancer, but Cleary's a tumor of an entirely different kind.

TheFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
  #147
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
But but but......He's a locker room cancer

Absolutely filthy pass

BUT HE DOESNT PLAY DEFENSE

/sarcasm off

So funny to see the vocal posters on these boards mysteriously absent from these threads. Semin is playing Selke level defense right now.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  #148
Jurky
Free the HolySlapper
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
The more I watch Semin in Carolina playing a solid 2 way game and making sick passes like above the more I want to cry. Especially when you look at our line up and one of the best play makers in the world is playing with DFC and Abdelkader.


Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  #149
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,331
vCash: 500
The Hurricanes fanes have been more disappointed for Erik Staal's defensive game at this season. Tells something about Semin.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
  #150
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
The Hurricanes fanes have been more disappointed for Erik Staal's defensive game at this season. Tells something about Semin.
Let's keep this in perspective. Their previous best wing was Jussi Jokinen for years so yeah getting Semin is going to seem unbelievable. :-)

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.