HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins - Devils 2/10/12 - NJ Got To Our Game Edition

Old
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Our talent will only take us so far. At some point Bylsma needs to make some adjustments to the stuff that isnt working.

I hope....
Don't hold your breath. I'd hate to see you suffer from asphyxia.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Clarkson, Kovy, Elias. Lot more than 1 goal scorer.
one STAR goal scorer, and two amazingly consistent secondary goal scorers

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

[QUOTE=nhindian;59466523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

Did I say anything about regular season being important? I was merely refuting his point that Crosby, Neal, and Malkin are the only people to score in the regular season.

+ a nice strawman though
the strawmen are out in full force tonight.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenyas most fly rep View Post
Yeah, really what is DeBoer thinking?
I don't know . . . maybe if he puts his players into the best possible position to make plays, then the chances that they make plays and win games improve.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
I'll bend on Kunitz slightly, doesn't really have any offensive creativity in the least, hell I'd say Sutter has more. But I have no problem with Kunitz being the 2nd best winger ON HIS LINE in the top 6, so fair enough.

Do we really have to fleece somebody though? Why not a hockey trade? We have defensive prospects, please trade some of them for players that will help NOW. Crosby/Malkin are not going to be around forever, their prime is NOW. IDC if we have a fantastic top 6 when Sid and Geno are 35. Sell out for the present because as we Pens fans know, the future is not a certain.

Question: If we suck 10 years from now but win 2-3 Cups beforehand, would it be worth it?
This post should be well received.

Old
02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Don't hold your breath. I'd hate to see you suffer from asphyxia.
ha, i am holding out hope he will learn from his mistakes, but he is just so stubborn. you'd think 3 years of early exits where teams expose us would teach him a lesson.

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Stretch passes don't work with zero speed. That simple. We make three mistakes and they convert and trap. That was their obvious plan. It sure worked.
Are you telling me that they PREPARED for the stretch pass?

Old
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
MT's already starting to lose it.

Blaming individual players for losses publicly, leaving his goalie out there in the third after already allowing 4 goals, making Eller his whipping boy...
Good, maybe he'll be available soon.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vodeni

Quote:
He's not completely wrong.

The way the Devils played was the exact same way they beat the Flyers 4 in a row after losing game one.

Flyers had no answers either.
maybe roll out those Kings tapes...

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

As soon as someone can prove that Shero is passing up a "hockey trade" or ... any trade, I'll get my pitchfork.

Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
I'll bend on Kunitz slightly, doesn't really have any offensive creativity in the least, hell I'd say Sutter has more. But I have no problem with Kunitz being the 2nd best winger ON HIS LINE in the top 6, so fair enough.

Do we really have to fleece somebody though? Why not a hockey trade? We have defensive prospects, please trade some of them for players that will help NOW. Crosby/Malkin are not going to be around forever, their prime is NOW. IDC if we have a fantastic top 6 when Sid and Geno are 35. Sell out for the present because as we Pens fans know, the future is not a certain.

Question: If we suck 10 years from now but win 2-3 Cups beforehand, would it be worth it?
Sooooo worth it...

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
It doesn't hurt that they're an exceptionally well coached team.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot, with players who can execute.
Speaking of NJ coaches... what is LeMaire doing these days? Anyone think he could be persuaded out of retirement (to beat the Devils)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Stretch passes don't work with zero speed. That simple. We make three mistakes and they convert and trap. That was their obvious plan. It sure worked.
I was thinking something similar... that in general our passing game in transition just sucks. It's like even when we don't have to, we immediately give up control of the puck so we can go chase it. It's crap. I honestly think we're not getting another playoff run out of this system, even with another winger. Teams have us figured out in the post-season; and if they weren't sure the Devils just gave them the template for success.

I mean even if we get a Corey Perry (big long-shot), are we going to win with him, playing this style of hockey? Dump and chase? I really doubt it. We might make a little farther into the playoffs but once we meet a physical team that can trap, and we try this **** against them... it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
As soon as someone can prove that Shero is passing up a "hockey trade" or ... any trade, I'll get my pitchfork.
Amen.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
By the way, for all the ragging we're doing on our wingers...

Malkin has less goals on the season than Dupuis, Kunitz, and Neal and he's tied with Sutter, and Letang. Simon Despres needs only one goal to tie what Malkin has done all season.

Malkin can only blame his linemates so much, he needs to play better. His play has been unacceptable.
Its so hard for me to evaluate malkin this year just by watching him i think hes had a bad year but if you look at his stats he has 15 points and is top 10 in scoring its hard to complain about a guy with those stats.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WarriorScholar

I doubt you could find one person on this board that doesn't want to add another winger or two. Not one person who is satisfied with this lineup heading into the playoffs. Most here just realize there's usually more than 10 games played before blockbuster trades start happening.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Shero is in a deep sleep right now, he'll only wake up on the April 3rd trade deadline at round 3:00.....

Old
02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Shero is in a deep sleep right now, he'll only wake up on the April 3rd trade deadline at round 3:00.....
again, you're basing this opinion on what, exactly?

Old
bingobangobongo

1 25-71-18 1g
2 25-71-18 1g
3 25-71-18 0g
4 48-71-18 0g
5 48-71-18 0g Goal with 25-71-18
6 48-71-18 0g
7 15-71-18 1g
8 17-71-18 0g
9 17-71-18 0g
10 17-71-18 0g
11 17-71-18 0g
12 17-71-18 0g
13 17-71-18 0g

25-71-18 3 games, 2 goals
15-71-18 1 game, 1 goal
48-71-18 3 games, 0 goals
17-71-18 6 games, 0 goals

bingobangobongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

This game was garbage. I thought Pens were going to redeem themselves after giving Devils 10 PP chances? then we come out with this garbage, think i'd rather watch Saturdays game.

I thought we were going to turn the corner, instead those couple games were just that, a couple games. Now we are back to playing like ****, and we can't get more then 1 goal again.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I don't think any coaching adjustments could've remedied what was ailing us today. NJ outhustled, outmuscled, and outsmarted us in our own end, and we couldn't seem to generate any extended pressure or capitalize on our chances when we got the puck in their zone anyway. But hey, that's just my take.

We can beat lesser teams without them, but it's a tall order to take out the defending conference champs while missing two of your best defensemen. Get well soon, boys.
Against my better judgment, I'll ask you this in earnest: When you are outhustled as the Pens were today, is it because they players weren't into it or because they were so helplessly out of position so much that it looks that way?

EDIT: And why is it that the Pens most frequently are outhustled in games where the other team takes a playoff approach in terms of its preparations (be it in a playoff or regular season game)?

Old
02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Sooooo worth it...
Win 3 cups.....tank again to get the next Lemieux/ Crosby - Jagr/Malkin ? Of course.

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:

Damn Shero for turning down these well-documented "defense prospect for scoring winger" proposals left and right.

I wonder if the fact that we're at a point in the season where the worst team in the league is 5 points out of a playoff spot might affect the availability of legit scoring wingers?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Speaking of NJ coaches... what is LeMaire doing these days? Anyone think he could be persuaded out of retirement (to beat the Devils)?

I was thinking something similar... that in general our passing game in transition just sucks. It's like even when we don't have to, we immediately give up control of the puck so we can go chase it. It's crap. I honestly think we'd not getting another playoff run out of this system, even with another winger. Teams have us figured out in the post-season; and if they weren't sure the Devils just gave them the template for success.

I mean even if we get a Corey Perry (big long-shot), are we going to win with him, playing this style of hockey? Dump and chase? I really doubt it. We might make a little farther into the playoffs but once we meet a physical team that can trap, and we try this **** against them... it's over.
To be honest, I think this team is so absurdly talented that it could win a cup even with this system. I mean, it already did once. Sid and Geno could hulk up and carry the Pens to a cup even with a garbage system.

It's frustrating to evaluate the Pens given that. We're coming off a 5 game winning streak but how well were we really playing? Was it just talent taking over? I still felt like we made a lot of mistakes in those games.

Sometimes I wonder.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:39 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
This post should be well received.
I'm just frustrated at wasting Sid and Geno and building AROUND them rather than through them. Random hypothetical situation is we trade for Iginla and Kulemin. It doesn't just make our top 6 stronger, it makes our bottom six stronger too. Dupuis to the third line makes it better, thats where he belongs. Our puck possesion goes UP, our quality of chances goes UP, shots against go DOWN, goals against go DOWN.

Sigh. Whatever. Can't wait to draft another d-man this year.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Great title, Seal.

Not much to pull good away from this. Bury your head and keep plugging away.

Every single Devils line pressured in all zones.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Fastpass doesn't episode 9 up yet.

I want...my ****ing....ZOMBIES!!!
Just watch tonight's game again. It's close enough.