HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Let the voting begin (New Pope)

Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Nightslyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Yay! Now the Catholics can appoint an anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-condom person!

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
So glad two people got the reference.
We're all in the old timers club

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I've been watching the Borgias lately. Can I cast my vote for Jeremy Irons, he seemingly makes a good pope.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
I've been watching the Borgias lately. Can I cast my vote for Jeremy Irons, he seemingly makes a good pope.
Fine actor, looks good in a dress, definite white smoke puff there!

Johnnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
1. Elect Canadian pope
2. Move Coyotes to Vatican
3. ???
4. Profit

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:20 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Prophecy of the Popes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Predicted by Saint Malachy that this will be the last Pope.
Dont like this part at all ...

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Clearly he shouldn't have quit his job! That's a picture a from a Finnish newspaper today, apparently happened few hours after he resigned.

Church in question is Saint Peter's Basilica.

I do have certain doubts about the legitimacy of this papers' stories, but hey, it looks cool at least.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Nightslyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
Dont like this part at all ...
You believe in prophecy, too?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
Not sure on that yet, it would need me a transcendent moment with Jesus or God to do so certainly ...

If I look at the RFID chip and John Revelation 13 verse 16-18, I get suspicious ...

I don't believe in prophecy per se, but I believe in the prophetic force of history. (not to say that the issue of Ben XVI to be the last pope is historically relevant ... yet)

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
PricePkPatch

It can happen next month, it can happen in 40 years. Who knows how long our next Pope will last.

Also, it might also mean a number of thing; from the actual destruction of the Holy See because of warfare to the schism or abandonment of the Roman Catholic Church by the world population. Who knows?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
He believes in anything that suggests the end of the world is near or something major will happen. Fits with the classic Conspiracy Theorist mentality, really. Real life is too dull so he has to make up these fantasies that make him feel more important and make reality more exciting.

It's telling that, even when everything he thinks will happen fails to come true, he still holds tight to the belief that there's something bigger than what we are aware of or that we see on the surface.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Nightslyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
It can happen next month, it can happen in 40 years. Who knows how long our next Pope will last.

Also, it might also mean a number of thing; from the actual destruction of the Holy See because of warfare to the schism or abandonment of the Roman Catholic Church by the world population. Who knows?
Based on the Church's history of institutionalized pedophilia, homophobia, misogyny, and racism, not to mention more and more people abandoning/never being indoctrinated into religion, I'm betting on that.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:49 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Prophecy of the Popes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Predicted by Saint Malachy that this will be the last Pope.
of the course the document has been proven to be a hoax.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:48 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
of the course the document has been proven to be a hoax.
Please confirm your choice of words.

Has it been PROVEN to be a hoax, or merely DENOUNCED as such?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Please confirm your choice of words.

Has it been PROVEN to be a hoax, or merely DENOUNCED as such?
All evidence indicates it was written 300 years after The purported author died.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Puck
Ninja

From what I can see, the manuscript we have today isn't the original because it had the names of the actual Popes until the given period that the transcription was written and it is this latter document that survived. That doesn't make it a hoax but it isn't an article of faith and you don't have to believe any of it, either way. It's good to make people talk and squawk as far as I can see. That's always red meat for message boards. The Malachy Papers were also a hit on HF during the last conclave. I remember the prediction that last Pope would come from the Benedictine order and there were hoots of laughter until it actually did happen and the naysayers disappeared quickly. I'm not saying it is real, even a clock is right twice a day as the saying goes. It was just funny to see. It isn't much to predict that the next Pope is going to have a rough time either, that part is almost guaranteed to come to realisation given the problems in the Church today. But no harm done having fun with these things either IMHO. It isn't that important. The prediction gamblers are always looking for an edge. Most prophetic documents are undecipherable until the event occurs then all the 'smart people' connect the dots. I'm not gifted or smart so I don't waste my time.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Wetcoaster

Someone is upset with the decision of Pope Benny #16 to step down. Just hours after the announcement lightning struck the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...signation.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Someone is upset with the decision of Pope Benny #16 to step down. Just hours after the announcement lightning struck the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...signation.html
Already posted in #82.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Oh Crap:

Old
02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Already posted in #82.
But my picture was a lightning bolt from Zeus.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
But my picture was a lightning bolt from Zeus.

More likely Thor, God of Thunder and Lightning:

Old
02-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
From what I can see, the manuscript we have today isn't the original because it had the names of the actual Popes until the given period that the transcription was written and it is this latter document that survived. That doesn't make it a hoax but it isn't an article of faith and you don't have to believe any of it, either way. It's good to make people talk and squawk as far as I can see. That's always red meat for message boards. The Malachy Papers were also a hit on HF during the last conclave. I remember the prediction that last Pope would come from the Benedictine order and there were hoots of laughter until it actually did happen and the naysayers disappeared quickly. I'm not saying it is real, even a clock is right twice a day as the saying goes. It was just funny to see. It isn't much to predict that the next Pope is going to have a rough time either, that part is almost guaranteed to come to realisation given the problems in the Church today. But no harm done having fun with these things either IMHO. It isn't that important. The prediction gamblers are always looking for an edge. Most prophetic documents are undecipherable until the event occurs then all the 'smart people' connect the dots. I'm not gifted or smart so I don't waste my time.
Just make the prophecy vague enough, and people will retroactively interpret it to make you sound like a seer. The one before Benedict was ...

"De labore solis"

"From the labour of the sun"

Three interpretations of this exist:
1) The word "labour" is a metaphor referring to a solar eclipse, and John Paul II was born during an eclipse. Not a stretch at all.
2) "Labour" is a reference to Communism, and the "sun" refers to the red colour associated with Communism. John Paul II was the first Pope to come from a Marxist state.
3) "Labour of the sun" refers to the work Copernicus did to find the true nature of the relationship between earth and sun. John Paul II lived most of his life in Krakow, where Copernicus also lived five centuries before him.

And there was this one ...

"Pastor et nauta"
"Pastor and sailor"

This prophecy supposedly refers to John XXIII. The pastor part is obvious, but sailor? Well, John served as the Bishop of Venice for five years prior to becoming Pope. Venice = sea = sailor. Get it?

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Just make the prophecy vague enough, and people will retroactively interpret it to make you sound like a seer. The one before Benedict was ...

"De labore solis"

"From the labour of the sun"

Three interpretations of this exist:
1) The word "labour" is a metaphor referring to a solar eclipse, and John Paul II was born during an eclipse. Not a stretch at all.
2) "Labour" is a reference to Communism, and the "sun" refers to the red colour associated with Communism. John Paul II was the first Pope to come from a Marxist state.
3) "Labour of the sun" refers to the work Copernicus did to find the true nature of the relationship between earth and sun. John Paul II lived most of his life in Krakow, where Copernicus also lived five centuries before him.

And there was this one ...

"Pastor et nauta"
"Pastor and sailor"

This prophecy supposedly refers to John XXIII. The pastor part is obvious, but sailor? Well, John served as the Bishop of Venice for five years prior to becoming Pope. Venice = sea = sailor. Get it?
Those prophecies might actually be more ridiculous than the Bible.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Johnny LaRue

Moving along, I would like to see what the various popes would bring to the table. I am very much in favour of a reformer. Priority number one has to be policies that would finally put an end to allowing sexual abuse along with harsh punishment for those who have not been public exposed.

Secondly, I think to lessen the likelihood that abuse happens in the future, the church needs to allow priests to marry. I get the idea of celibacy as being a way to show devotion to God, but in practical terms it has led to children being badly hurt and scarred.

All other reform is secondary.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Moving along, I would like to see what the various popes would bring to the table. I am very much in favour of a reformer. Priority number one has to be policies that would finally put an end to allowing sexual abuse along with harsh punishment for those who have not been public exposed.

Secondly, I think to lessen the likelihood that abuse happens in the future, the church needs to allow priests to marry. I get the idea of celibacy as being a way to show devotion to God, but in practical terms it has led to children being badly hurt and scarred.

All other reform is secondary.
Or we could just stop believing in fairy tales. Works for me.