HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How good would have Valery Kharlamov been in the NHL?

Old
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Lafleur always comes to mind. However, like the Bossy/Makarov comparison we saw what Lafleur could do 80 games in and out of the NHL year after year. I don't know how Kharlamov reacts in the NHL as THE star player on his team. Philly seemed to maintain him rather well in 1976 so who knows? The question is how would he cope in the rough and tumble NHL at that time? This is always a difficult question with Russian players who never played in the NHL. We can always compare eras of other players who played their careers in the NHL because we saw them produce with the best players in the world year in and year out but with the Russians who didn't get a chance to do this it's a lot harder.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:49 AM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Lafleur always comes to mind. However, like the Bossy/Makarov comparison we saw what Lafleur could do 80 games in and out of the NHL year after year. I don't know how Kharlamov reacts in the NHL as THE star player on his team. Philly seemed to maintain him rather well in 1976 so who knows? The question is how would he cope in the rough and tumble NHL at that time? This is always a difficult question with Russian players who never played in the NHL. We can always compare eras of other players who played their careers in the NHL because we saw them produce with the best players in the world year in and year out but with the Russians who didn't get a chance to do this it's a lot harder.
Yeah, they maintained him - although occasionally with a bit of violence used on him.

The Soviets maintained Gretzky pretty well in the 1981 CC final and in the 1985-86 Super Series game between CSKA and the Oilers, so who knows; maybe Gretzky would've been useless in the Soviet league, eh? i.e. what about the numerous games where Kharlamov dominated NHL competition???

Last edited by VMBM: 03-10-2013 at 03:13 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I see his potential upside as Lafleur. His downside, Yvan Cournoyer. Really depends on how well he would have adapted.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Huffman

Ask older swedes who the best player to ever play was, you would hear a lot of Charlamov.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Yeah, they maintained him - although occasionally with a bit of violence used on him.

The Soviets maintained Gretzky pretty well in the 1981 CC final and in the 1985-86 Super Series game between CSKA and the Oilers, so who knows; maybe Gretzky would've been useless in the Soviet league, eh? i.e. what about the numerous games where Kharlamov dominated NHL competition???
I can't imagine Gretzky not dominating an inferior league but as for Kharlamov it is only a mere projection that we can do on him. It is like wondering whether or not Tretiak wins a Vezina in the NHL. He probably does at some time, but over Parent and Dryden or starting in 1980?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote