HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Why do you guys keep bringing that up? When did EJ become so worthless and not a big part of this team's future?
Because you keep emphasizing how essential it is to trade for outside help when the last time the Avalanche did it they dealt away the exact type of player they need desperately right now.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Myers has some big brain farts positionally this game but he did play pretty well offensively and wasn't afraid to jump into the play.

I haven't watched that many Buffalo games this year, but by all accounts it seems he has been terrible. Perhaps they're asking him to be something he's not, perhaps he's regressed or perhaps he's just a bit of a slow starter.

Obviously the tool set is as impressive as you'll find with that size and skating. If he somehow manage to put it all together, watch out.
The thing is he's already put it together enough to get a 5.5M AAV contract with a 10M signing bonus. He accepted that contract, and now they expect him to at least maintain or grow from what he was before the contract. Hes not...

He should have never been given that contract that early... Huge weight on a young defender.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:04 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Because you keep emphasizing how essential it is to trade for outside help when the last time the Avalanche did it they dealt away the exact type of player they need desperately right now.
Eh... Kirk is not a #2 defender

We have potential in the system out the ass when it comes to offensive #3/#4 offensive defenders. They are just not breaking out YET, so everyone panics about losing Kirk.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post

We have potential in the system out the ass when it comes to offensive #3/#4 offensive defenders. They are just not breaking out YET, so everyone panics about losing Kirk.
Kirk is a great #2 dman. Atleast when paired with Pietrangelo.
Best defensive pairing besides maybe Keith/Seabrook and Chara/Seidenberg

Old
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
shadow1

Quote:

He's as good, if not better, than Yandle, and currently has more points (14) than all eight of Colorado's defenders combined (10).

Old
02-15-2013, 09:15 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I haven't seen him lately (since first couple games of the season) but he wasn't playing #2 level defense, offense all day long yes.

Has he been better? Because from what I've seen posted Pietrangelo covers up a lot of his mistakes.

Quote:
He's as good, if not better, than Yandle, and currently has more points (14) than all eight of Colorado's defenders combined (10).
Points don't make you a top pairing defender alone, (It makes me sick that Karlsson won the Norris so that should give you an idea on how I feel.)

Old
02-15-2013, 09:17 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
I haven't seen him lately (since first couple games of the season) but he wasn't playing #2 level defense, offense all day long yes.

Has he been better? Because from what I've seen posted Pietrangelo covers up a lot of his mistakes.
I don't watch enough Blues games to really judge it but from what I have seen and heard he has improved leaps and bounds defensively.

He will never be able to play the defensive role on a toppairing but I guess he holds up pretty well next to Pietro.....

Old
02-15-2013, 09:20 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I don't watch enough Blues games to really judge it but from what I have seen and heard he has improved leaps and bounds defensively.

He will never be able to play the defensive role on a toppairing but I guess he holds up pretty well next to Pietro.....
I don't know regardless, I can't bring myself to cry over spilled milk. I understand why we let him go, when it looked like we had two players in the pipe who had even more offensive upside than he did.

People forget that Kirk got quite a bit more experience in College before actually cracking our roster. Barrie & Elliott have not had as much time to develop.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
I don't know regardless, I can't bring myself to cry over spilled milk. I understand why we let him go, when it looked like we had two players in the pipe who had even more offensive upside than he did.

People forget that Kirk got quite a bit more experience in College before actually cracking our roster. Barrie & Elliott have not had as much time to develop.
I am not crying. I really loved Shatty but I also love EJ right now.
The fact is that Shattenkirk has developed and he is exactly what we need right now next to EJ.

Would I rather trade Stastny in hindsight for him? Hell yes. Would I rescind the trade if you give me the chance? I would have to think long and hard about it and probably could not decide.

Would I like to reacquire Shatty right now? Yes.
If you offer me Shattenkirk for ROR right now I would probably take it. Especially if I look at the offers on this board.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Points don't make you a top pairing defender alone, (It makes me sick that Karlsson won the Norris so that should give you an idea on how I feel.)
You should watch more Ottawa games then. Karlsson is an amazing defender.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
He isn't a #2. Offensively, sure, but overall he's a second pair guy playing second pair defense. He wouldn't look as good here as he does in StL. Our team's defensive system isn't anywhere near as good as the Blues', and we don't have anyone as solid as Jackman to be his regular partner. He'd help our PP though, that's for sure.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:37 PM
shadow1

Quote:
While I do agree, the Avalanche need just about every numerical denomination of defenseman there is.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Yeah, he barely needs to play defense, the puck is always on his stick.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:05 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I actually watch quite a few Ottawa games to be honest. I'm also in the camp that thinks there should be a Bobby Orr trophy or Ray Bourque trophy for defenders like him.

NO ONE can legitimately argue that Karlsson is better defensively than Chara or Weber...

I'm also not a fan of points being a factor in the Selke trophy either but they are and it's pretty clear they are as well.

Quote:
I am not crying. I really loved Shatty but I also love EJ right now.
The fact is that Shattenkirk has developed and he is exactly what we need right now next to EJ.

Would I rather trade Stastny in hindsight for him? Hell yes. Would I rescind the trade if you give me the chance? I would have to think long and hard about it and probably could not decide.

Would I like to reacquire Shatty right now? Yes.
If you offer me Shattenkirk for ROR right now I would probably take it. Especially if I look at the offers on this board.
Honestly Barrie has the potential to be just like Kirk, hes built the same way as well. Kirk is also right handed, and no hes not exactly what we need right now. The way to make EJ more valuable is to get a defender with offensive upside or skill that he does not have to cover for.

We do need Kirk but more in a #3/4 role like hopefully Barrie or Elliott pan out to be. So don't take this as me saying we don't need him, but we do have two players in the pipe who could be just as good.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Being one of the best in the league at puck retrieval is a great defensive tool.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:09 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
I actually watch quite a few Ottawa games to be honest. I'm also in the camp that thinks there should be a Bobby Orr trophy or Ray Bourque trophy for defenders like him.

NO ONE can legitimately argue that Karlsson is better defensively than Chara or Weber...

I'm also not a fan of points being a factor in the Selke trophy either but they are and it's pretty clear they are as well.
Agree with the Orr trophy. Norris should be best defensive defender.

However, Karlsson is crazy good. He dictates the play the entire time he is on the ice. Scott Niedermayer-esque. He pushes the play and is by far the best transition defenseman in the NHL.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:14 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Agree with the Orr trophy. Norris should be best defensive defender.

However, Karlsson is crazy good. He dictates the play the entire time he is on the ice. Scott Niedermayer-esque. He pushes the play and is by far the best transition defenseman in the NHL.
Agreed, he shouldn't be winning the Norris over Weber and Chara though.

I really don't get why they don't celebrate Orr or Bourque by handing out a trophy like that though. I mean the forwards have all kinds of offensive based trophies that defenders are never (Or hardly ever) going to touch.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
For me this sums it up pretty well. While Yandle is better than Kulikov right now, Kulikov has a decent chance at being AS good (or close to it - probably worse offensively but better defensively) in 2-3 years and we get to keep the top 10 pick, Sgarbossa and Barrie. PLUS, (and this seems to be the part you're missing) Kulikov is signed to that bridge contract we're trying to get RoR to sign on to AND we'd have him under control longer.

So if I had to choose between getting Kulikov + prospect for RoR OR give up the aforementioned package for Yandle, I choose the deal with Florida VERY easily because the eventual difference between the 2 d-men is NOT worth 2 good prospects and a top 10 pick, hell, when you take into consideration the RFA vs UFA status implications, it's not even worth a top 10 pick!

For me it would have to be Trouba and I wouldn't even mind adding a decent pick or prospect. Just the thought of having EJ, Seth Jones and Trouba sends chills down my spine...

See what I said above about Kulikov vs Yandle. If you STILL don't get it, there is no helping you. You can keep believing what you want but you definitely are doing what a lot of teams do, panicking and trying to mortgage a good part of the future for a quick fix.
You're doing two things wrong here IMO.

Firstly you're trying to factor in a situation that I'm not advocating. You're bringing into play that under your argument we keep a top ten pick. I don't know why people keep forgetting the protection of the 1st in this argument. That's a huge factor. In all likelyhood we keep our pick this year because we may finish very low in the standings. We get that young highly rated prospect, that's lightyears more valuable than Sgarbossa or Barrie.

Secondly, you're doing what I keep emphasizing. Putting forth an unproven assumption and making it seem highly likely. Kulikov has promise but there are question marks with him. Sure it's possible we might be able to give up less to get him, but it's not clear whether he will be able to be the defenseman this team needs. Barrie and Sgarbossa have shown a little promise, but it's not certain they will be a top pairing D, or 1st line center, which I would view as highly unlikely. Anything under that level, is replaceable to me, and not nearly as highly valued as a proven top pairing defenseman. Again, we're also only talking about giving up one of Barrie and Sgarbossa, not both.

Yandle is more proven as a high scoring offensive defenseman, and brings a lot of other intagibles to the table as well, as far as physicality, toughness, passion, and leadership. He may not be a defensive stud, but he's not a complete defensive laibility either. Something we've seen a lot from Barrie, who despite having some promise and skating well with the puck, also only has one point (an assist) in fifteen career NHL games to go along with in terms of production. Yandle is very capable of playing as a legit top pairing defenseman, the same way Blake was capable of even though he wasn't all that great defensively either.

Same with divide between us obviously in regard to Barrie and Sgarbossa themselves. You have a higher view of their ceiling than I do, and seem to have a much higher view on the likelihood that they'll reach that ceiling. I don't want that to be interpreted as trying to say they suck in any way, or that they'll for sure bust, just as a statement on it's own.

Here again I think is the crux of the difference. I don't think our prospects ceilings are that high, and think there's a less likely chance than some of you of them hitting that. Therefore, I don't see giving them up as something that will haunt this team. I also think bringing in an established All Star D is much more important than another young guy with question marks.

We're both taking risks. I take the chance on my risk giving up a decent prospect with question marks, and mid round 1st to go with O'Reilly (assuming we're getting another piece back like Vermette), given how hard and unlikely it will be to find a top D, and you give up less and take the risk on trading for a guy that may not be the guy we hope for.

I see this team with lots of decent pieces. A McGinn, a Jones, or Downie as top line complimentary guys, or an Olver or McLeod as bottom six complimentary guys. Even our D behind EJ. It's decent. Wilson is decent, Hejda is decent. They don't need another pretty good player, which is what I view as Sgarbossa and Barrie's ceiling. That won't turn this franchise around. They need a very good or great player. They need a big piece to the puzzle, and that will be very hard to come by if they trade O'Reilly and don't get that back. That's why I take the risk on Yandle rather than give up less to get Kulikov.

It's not about panicking to improve us right away, believe me. It's about what each of us thinks the best way is to build this team into what it needs to be for years to come. I've never advocated shortsighted ideas, and I don't believe Yandle is a shortsighted appraoch for this team.

Quote:
This is simply not true. If the Avs kept Shattenkirk instead of EJ, I'm convinced Shattenkirk would not be as highly regarded playing as the #1D, with the D surrounding him.

If they didn't trade for EJ, and kept Shattenkrik, we would still need a D like EJ. Shattenkirk is not the exact type of defenseman this team needs right now either.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 11:52 PM
cgf

Quote:
But we got a player we need even more desperately who we have no one in the pipeline like.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I see this team with lots of decent pieces. A McGinn, a Jones, or Downie as top line complimentary guys, or an Olver or McLeod as bottom six complimentary guys. Even our D behind EJ. It's decent. Wilson is decent, Hejda is decent. They don't need another pretty good player, which is what I view as Sgarbossa and Barrie's ceiling. That won't turn this franchise around.
Really? Jones... and 'top line anything' don't go together let alone top 6 anything.

I'm on your side about Yandle (Not giving up Barrie, Sgarbossa and 1st Plus O'Reilly though) being a good fit but I don't agree with a lot of other things your saying.

I feel like your undervaluing Sgarbossa & Barrie a little, and getting caught up in a bit of 'what I see now is what I get' type of view point.

We either need to play the lottery huge with O'Reilly's trade and try to score two core players (High end high potential prospects) or get someone like Yandle in return.

We DO NOT need to be adding good prospects to O'Reilly in the trade.

----

Hey... Anyone else think that one of the reasons Avs management have not focused on bring a defender in is Siemens? I mean if the rumors are true as to what they are looking for, it's mainly offensive pieces. Sometimes I think in the back of my mind that they really may be willing to wait on Siemens to see if he can fill that top line LH #2 role...

I hope not, but Sacco (I know) did say that Siemens had a legit shot (before the lockout) at making the team. If we trade O'Reilly for two offensive players and draft an offensive player in the draft... I'm inclined to believe they really think our defense is going to fix itself through our pipeline.

I really hope this isn't the case... Just saying, it's a bit weird they have brought in nothing butt plugs in FA. (Yes I mean you Zannon)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 02-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Really? Jones... and 'top line anything' don't go together let alone top 6 anything.

I'm on your side about Yandle (Not giving up Barrie, Sgarbossa and 1st Plus O'Reilly though) being a good fit but I don't agree with a lot of other things your saying.

I feel like your undervaluing Sgarbossa & Barrie a little, and getting caught up in a bit of 'what I see now is what I get' type of view point.

We either need to play the lottery huge with O'Reilly's trade and try to score two core players (High end high potential prospects) or get someone like Yandle in return.

We DO NOT need to be adding good prospects to O'Reilly in the trade.
Well, I guess I didn't really mean top line. He's a decent top six forward. He's inconsistent, and he frustrates me as much as anyone else here, but he's a 20+ goal scorer and a 40+ point guy. That's a decent top six complimentary guy, that's what I meant.

I don't think I'm getting caught up in a what I see now mentality in regard to Barrie and Sgarbossa, and again to be clear I'm only talking about giving up one of them, not both. I'm making an estimation on what they can develop into, and how likely that is based on what I've seen. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong, and they'll be something very special, but I don't put a high probability of that being the case.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:14 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Well, I guess I didn't really mean top line. He's a decent top six forward. He's inconsistent, and he frustrates me as much as anyone else here, but he's a 20+ goal scorer and a 40+ point guy. That's a decent top six complimentary guy, that's what I meant.

I don't think I'm getting caught up in a what I see now mentality in regard to Barrie and Sgarbossa, and again to be clear I'm only talking about giving up one of them, not both. I'm making an estimation on what they can develop into, and how likely that is based on what I've seen. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong, and they'll be something very special, but I don't put a high probability of that being the case.
Ahh, who was doing the O'Reilly + Sgarbossa + Barrie + 1st for Yandle thing then...?

If it really took O'Reilly + Sgarbossa for Yandle I would probably do it to be honest. Barrie? NO, especially not after the way he played last night. Barrie we do have a serious need for as a #3/4 offensive defender to play with Hejda/Wilson/Siemens on the second pair.

Elliott has been shaky enough to make Barrie very valuable right now as insurance. The thing is I actually don't believe Phoenix would want a defender back. However I also would try my ass off (as Avs management) to get Yandle with O'Reilly + 2nd/Lower prospect because I don't think the difference in value is quite Sgarbossa really, but I would do it in the end tbh.

I'm also a Yandle homer, I see Yandle & EJ on our top pair for 7-10yrs and on the US Olympic team together in the future. I also think Yandle, with a trade and confidence boost along with a partner as good as EJ is defensively, producing a lot closer to his 50 point season than what hes done in the past couple.

Hes been moved off of the top pair by OEL, and has played is a system extremely focused on the defensive side of the puck.

So yeah.. I'd do O'Reilly + Sgarbossa for Yandle at the end of the day. We have enough centers and Sgarbossa has played LW on a limited basis not RW where I think we actually need a top 6 forward.

Btw... I will not even consider Jones a top 6 player at all, I would if he brought some value to the ice when he wasn't scoring like McGinn, but he hasn't for the most part.

Showing up for 2-3 games a month is way beyond being streaky as well. Put me in the official HATE JONES camp lol, especially with that contract. Lets just say I have a easier time calling Downie a legit 2nd line winger than I do saying Jones & Top 6 (blah), and I see Downie as a lock solid third line winger who can contribute in the top 6 when injuries hit.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Ahh, who was doing the O'Reilly + Sgarbossa + Barrie + 1st for Yandle thing then...?

If it really took O'Reilly + Sgarbossa for Yandle I would probably do it to be honest. Barrie? NO, especially not after the way he played last night. Barrie we do have a serious need for as a #3/4 offensive defender to play with Hejda/Wilson/Siemens on the second pair.

Elliott has been shaky enough to make Barrie very valuable right now as insurance. The thing is I actually don't believe Phoenix would want a defender back. However I also would try my ass off (as Avs management) to get Yandle with O'Reilly + 2nd/Lower prospect because I don't think the difference in value is quite Sgarbossa really, but I would do it in the end tbh.

I'm also a Yandle homer, I see Yandle & EJ on our top pair for 7-10yrs and on the US Olympic team together in the future. I also think Yandle, with a trade and confidence boost along with a partner as good as EJ is defensively, producing a lot closer to his 50 point season than what hes done in the past couple.

Hes been moved off of the top pair by OEL, and has played is a system extremely focused on the defensive side of the puck.

So yeah.. I'd do O'Reilly + Sgarbossa for Yandle at the end of the day. We have enough centers and Sgarbossa has played LW on a limited basis not RW where I think we actually need a top 6 forward.

Btw... I will not even consider Jones a top 6 player at all, I would if he brought some value to the ice when he wasn't scoring like McGinn, but he hasn't for the most part.

Showing up for 2-3 games a month is way beyond being streaky as well. Put me in the official HATE JONES camp lol, especially with that contract. Lets just say I have a easier time calling Downie a legit 2nd line winger than I do saying Jones & Top 6 (blah), and I see Downie as a lock solid third line winger who can contribute in the top 6 when injuries hit.
It wasn't clear if that's what XX from the Phoenix board was asking for or not here. I asked, and said Phoenix would probably only get one, and they'd have to decide which one.

I've been arguing from the premise that I'm ok with dealing either one of them, not necessarily both.

Lets be fair to Jones. Sure he's a drunk, we can all agree on that. But a guy that has scored 20 and 27 goals in the last two seasons is not a bottom six player. He's not a great top six player, but a top six player none the less.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-16-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I'm not sure what has been discussed but all I'll add is that the Avs aren't trading their 1st round pick. Not even with a top 3 or 5 protection. It makes no sense.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:32 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
It wasn't clear if that's what XX from the Phoenix board was asking for or not here. I asked, and said Phoenix would probably only get one, and they'd have to decide which one.

I've been arguing from the premise that I'm ok with dealing either one of them, not necessarily both.

Lets be fair to Jones. Sure he's a drunk, we can all agree on that. But a guy that has scored 20 and 27 goals in the last two seasons is not a bottom six player.
Ok I totally get where your coming from now, and I would have to say I agree with you 'mostly'. Still think Barrie is more important than you have said so far... Mainly because we don't have to over pay for a #3/4 in free-agency if he can fill that role.

Jones barely scored 20 last year... And that is fine, 'hope we get a 1st round pick for those 20 goals', but when he does not put the puck in the net in whatever game that happens to be. HES INVISABLE lol... I think what pisses me off is every once in a while he ACTUALLY plays like a power forward. So we know it's there but he does not bring it even half the damn time.

If he was Russian like Semin, he would be fN crucified for being lazy. (Semin is a better two-way player than people gave him credit for and hes proving that **** this season with CAR as well.)

Edit... Oh and I wouldn't add our 1st in any trade at this point unless it was top 10 protected and that would include if we won the lottery. So basically that would mean not trading it IMO lol.

Closed Thread