HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So...Cody McCormick is on Waivers from Buffalo.

Those who have been here as long as I have will remember that I think he's just the most awesome fighter in the league (even if stats prove he isn't)

I remember in one of his years w/ the Avs he fought Iginla, who kept his Visor on btw, and McCormick handled him, pretty nicely, he was fearless
Thor?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I really hope we don't get Del Zotto or Sekera, they aren't good enough to meet our needs. That includes God-iner and his royal Leaf-subjects.

Kulikov could be a good one, but Panthers fans feeling ok with letting him go for O'Reilly and saying he isn't a top pairing defender makes me wonder if the esteem I hold him in is misplaced.

Gudbranson would never be moved, nor Bogosian. I'm hesitant to believe Winnipeg would move Trouba either, but with their defensive core they might consider it if they are really high on O'Reilly. A Trouba + Little package for O'Reilly + someone valuable from our team might work out for both sides very well.

JJ/Yandle would be my preferred choice, but I think it might be a mistake to acquire them if it costs more than O'Reilly. We shouldn't be including other assets unless we're getting an OEL in return... a young defender that will be here much longer and already has shown or established top pairing play.
God-iner and his royal Leaf-subjects!!! LOL awesome!

I made a point to watch Kulikov play about a week ago and was a bit disappointed to find that he's further back in his development than I had expected. I'm pretty sure he's going to get better but how much better is the real question for me.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
In comparison with MDZ, I would take Yandle pretty easily as well. I know I'm in the minority but I just keep seeing MDZ as a slightly better version of Quincey. If we bring in a d-man, I either want him to take some of the defensive pressure off of EJ (Staal, Alzner) or have it be a fantastic prospect with the chance at it becoming a home-run for the Avs (Trouba, to a slightly lesser extent Joe Morrow). I realize a lot of you guys are still thinking for THIS season but since you're getting a young commodity, let's make sure it's the right move for the next 10 years. I don't want a guy who's going to be playing with EJ and leaning on him, I don't think that's the right move.
I agree with most of your thinking, but I would rather approach it as getting more immediate help (not this year, but opening night next year). At some point this team needs to start making consistent runs at the playoffs/cup, not just year on-year off potential. With consistently greater success our core will gain the experience of winning and not floundering. With success, quality free agents will be more inclined to come here for reasonable prices. We could get Perry for sure, but not cheaper than what the Ducks can resign him for, or a cup contending team for that matter. We would not have to sign the Zanons and O'Briens of the league.

1) Our Dcorps has plenty of long term potential in EJ, Wilson, Barrie, Elliot, Siemans, perhaps even Gaunce. What this team needs is some younger pieces (under 30) who will compliment the guys we have like Hejda is doing now with Barrie. This starts with finding a partner for EJ. Hence I like Sekera, Kuli, and Alzner. Or even a free agent like Smid might work.
2) If ROR is leaving, the Avs need to look at the possibility of having one year with a quality 2C before Stastny could leave, and then who takes his place? Hopefully the draft this year will answer that, but then again, we fall back to the unknown and chance that the player we get wont be ready immediately (Hishon as an example)
3) I have no doubt that a coaching change is coming after this year. The more appealing this starting lineup is, the more appealing this job will be to a good coach, who does not have to worry as much about developing talent, but instead, getting the most from the talent.

I know that most of you on this board have a great deal more knowledge and insight about where players are in terms of talent and development and I defer to your opinions on those matters and try only to speak from what I've seen, but I for one am tired of this team continually looking two years down the line. There is a great core of players here from goal out to forward, and it is time this team starts building around them for Today.

Sorry for the rant, JMO

Old
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Thor?
I love you!

Cody "Thor" McCormick...was scared of no man

I remember watching one of those Avalanche Alert's on Altitude when he was there, he cracked up someone on the team saying that he "Had all the tools, didn't have the toolbox"

Scored his first goal on Dominik Hasek if I remember correctly

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
jaisen73

vCash: 500
McCormick would be a significant upgrade over Bordeleau. I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'd personally love to get Thor back I remember when the Cody McSomething's broke in together and were hilarious to watch.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
The Avs would certainly be able to goon it up with him, Bordeleau, and McLeod.
Make a line with all 3 of them.

When the opposing team sends out their top line, send them out...

With no hockey sticks.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
With no hockey sticks.
The O'Byrne method?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Make a line with all 3 of them.

When the opposing team sends out their top line, send them out...

With no hockey sticks.
Why would we disarm them???

Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So...Cody McCormick is on Waivers from Buffalo.

Those who have been here as long as I have will remember that I think he's just the most awesome fighter in the league (even if stats prove he isn't)

I remember in one of his years w/ the Avs he fought Iginla, who kept his Visor on btw, and McCormick handled him, pretty nicely, he was fearless
Best pound for pound fighter this team has ever had. Maybe best fighter at any weight, he took on guys bigger than him all the time, and unless I'm mistaken he never lost a fight here, and won most of them pretty handily.

Not sure if he fits in on the team, and I think Bordy plays his role just fine, and is a legit heavyweight to go along. I wouldn't be upset if they brought him back though.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
RockLobster
Jon Snow, Uneducated

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Best pound for pound fighter this team has ever had. Maybe best fighter at any weight, he took on guys bigger than him all the time, and unless I'm mistaken he never lost a fight here, and won most of them pretty handily.

Not sure if he fits in on the team, and I think Bordy plays his role just fine, and is a legit heavyweight to go along. I wouldn't be upset if they brought him back though.
Yeah I wasn't saying that we should pick him up, I would totally love it for just the nostalgia reason alone...I'd totally have to buy his Jersey!

And you're right, I don't recall him losing, and he won most of them pretty easily.

In my opinion a great "protector" because he didn't back down from anyone

Old
02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Highlander-Thor-Trolver 4th line?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

I guess if Avs have had talks about trading Bordeleau to Montreal (to stand up to Orr) picking up McCormack on waivers would be ok.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I guess if Avs have had talks about trading Bordeleau to Montreal (to stand up to Orr) picking up McCormack on waivers would be ok.
Is that an actual rumor or just speculation?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle Party View Post
Yea I hadn't heard that one.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grackle Party View Post
Just speculation. When teams get beat 0-6 at home and humiliated physically by a rival, it might create some demand for toughness. And Bordeleau is pretty much perfect for that market, should they want a heavyweight.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
I'd love to get McCormick back.

As for Kulikov, he's (much like MDZ) a d-man with some obvious holes in his game, his play in his own zone is suspect most of the time and IMHO his main downfall is the lack of hockey IQ, you can see him make bonehead decisions almost every game. He would be a pretty good addition to our D, but he (like MDZ) has a long way before himself before he can be considered to be a top pairing d-man.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
henchman24
If and if...

So Fasth gets a 2 year $5.8m deal 8 games into a career. Seems to me like the Ducks are jumping the gun a bit (could work out great for them though). I bet Hiller is now on the block now to clear space for Perry and Getz.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
“@SevilleGary: @adater McCormick on waivers... Any chances of the Cody Mac's to be reunited?”/no
course it IS Dater saying that, so we'll probably be getting McCormick back.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Nihiliste

I'd be stoked if they brought McCormick back, always a big fan.

Roll a Mcleod - McCormick - Bordeleau line

Old
02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Olver needs to be out their with Other Cody and either Highlander or Bordy. Trolver to go out their and irritate, and the other two to back his little ass up.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So Fasth gets a 2 year $5.8m deal 8 games into a career. Seems to me like the Ducks are jumping the gun a bit (could work out great for them though). I bet Hiller is now on the block now to clear space for Perry and Getz.
Not unless its for a big return. They have Koivu, Selanne, and Lydman coming off the books this year and I'd guess only 1 if any comes back and at a cheaper rate. That alone is over 9m freed up after figuring in Fasth's pay raise.
I'd bet they roll with 2 Goalies until they are sure of Fasth. Think of where Washington is now with their younger guys.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:26 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'd love to get McCormick back.

As for Kulikov, he's (much like MDZ) a d-man with some obvious holes in his game, his play in his own zone is suspect most of the time and IMHO his main downfall is the lack of hockey IQ, you can see him make bonehead decisions almost every game. He would be a pretty good addition to our D, but he (like MDZ) has a long way before himself before he can be considered to be a top pairing d-man.
I think he's really stepped it up this year and responded well to the increased responsibility he's getting. He's looked a lot more smooth and comfortable out there.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that guy is like 30. Still feels like quite a bit of cash and jumping the gun but apparently seems like enough of a showing for them.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that guy is like 30. Still feels like quite a bit of cash and jumping the gun but apparently seems like enough of a showing for them.
He is 30. This could be really good for the Ducks if he keeps playing the way he is, or somewhat close to it. It could be really bad when opponents start figuring out his weaknesses (which I think is bound to happen).

Closed Thread