HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
OILSLICK94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Getting ROR solves many problems for our team.

What happens if we offer sheet him one year for $4.5m?
Don't think we have the draft picks to do an offer sheet....and at the rate this season is going, No way in hell do you move your 1st rd pick

Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Don't think we have the draft picks to do an offer sheet....and at the rate this season is going, No way in hell do you move your 1st rd pick
ROR makes the Oilers a bubble playoff team. Worth a mid 1st to me.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Given that every non-playoff team can win the lotto, I wonder if we see less deals surrounded around current 1st rounder at the trade deadline? Wonder if instead you see teams moving their 2014 pick this year.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Cam98

First round picks have become more valuable now. But regardless whens the last time a team higher then 10th worst won lottery?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

It's still a pretty low chance of winning the first.

I just think, unless you're getting Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov, I'm no expert but no one else is jumping out at me at being a great pickup, whereas at least O'Reilly is a relatively proven commodity.

Getting ROR to me gets us to hopefully no worse than 10th last in the league.

If we don't have the draft picks, I guess we can't do it, but I can't remember what it would be if we did an offer sheet for 1 year. Or do 2 years at $4.5m each.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
BowDangles

Dregor said the going price that Avs are asking for ROR is a top prospect and a current roster player..

You can expect this to be a good starting point but not necessarily the final deal.. I would suspect something just under it like a very good prospect (not a top) and a roster player.

So this being said, what do the Oilers have that they can trade to get him? The best case would be to hang on to Gagner and use a different player as the roster player.

Who do you think is our "top prospects" right now? Klefbom seems to be the #1 consensus, but who is number two?

I would give up:

MPS/Hartikinen/Jones/Belanger/Horcoff/Eager/Smyth/Petrell/Peckham/Potter/Whitney
and
Gernat/Marcinin/Reider/Pitlick/Hamilton/Teubert/Fedun/Zharkov

So basically anyone not in our top six and any prospect we have other than Klefbom.

Which two combinations do you think has the best chance of getting him?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
To be honest, while i like ROR, im not sure id pay the rumored price.

The problem right now isnt Gagner, its the fact we lack a certain skill set on the wings.

And ROR at $5M/yr isnt the best for us going forward.

Thirdly id rather wait till the offseason or even closer to the TDL to trade for or sign a guy like Bozak who does alot of things ROR does but is older and probably not as good, but will be cheaper.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Dregor said the going price that Avs are asking for ROR is a top prospect and a current roster player..

You can expect this to be a good starting point but not necessarily the final deal.. I would suspect something just under it like a very good prospect (not a top) and a roster player.

So this being said, what do the Oilers have that they can trade to get him? The best case would be to hang on to Gagner and use a different player as the roster player.

Who do you think is our "top prospects" right now? Klefbom seems to be the #1 consensus, but who is number two?

I would give up:

MPS/Hartikinen/Jones/Belanger/Horcoff/Eager/Smyth/Petrell/Peckham/Potter/Whitney
and
Gernat/Marcinin/Reider/Pitlick/Hamilton/Teubert/Fedun/Zharkov

So basically anyone not in our top six and any prospect we have other than Klefbom.

Which two combinations do you think has the best chance of getting him?
Hemsky/Gagner and Klefbom/Musil, if we're looking at it realistically.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Hemsky/Gagner and Klefbom/Musil, if we're looking at it realistically.
I was debating on including Hemsky. I think if if I had to choose between Gagner and Hemsky I would trade Hemsky, at least at this point in their careers.

So I would be willing to give up Hemsky and Musil without hesitating..

Run this as a top 6 for years to come.

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Yak-ROR-Gagner

Old
02-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
I was debating on including Hemsky. I think if if I had to choose between Gagner and Hemsky I would trade Hemsky, at least at this point in their careers.

So I would be willing to give up Hemsky and Musil without hesitating..

Run this as a top 6 for years to come.

Hall-RNH-Ebs
Yak-ROR-Gagner
I'd have to think about Musil, but I would move Hemsky (and stuff) for ROR, and yes, that's the line up I would go with as well, maybe switch Gagner and Yak's wings.

Edit: Hemsky + Hamilton + Peckham for ROR + Mitchell maybe.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If Gagner can play wing, then yes I'd trade Hemsky over Gagner at this point.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
If Gagner can play wing, then yes I'd trade Hemsky over Gagner at this point.
He played wing for a while last year, and typically moving centres to wing is a pretty smooth transition. It is trying to move a winger to centre that always seems to be tough..

I think the team needs a trade like this to shake things up right now more than anything.. If they end up getting him and signing him for roughly 4.5-5 mil a year.. I would expect Gagner would be asking for upwards of 4 mil this offseason if he keeps producing at a ppg..

Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

what do you guys think it would take to get charlie coyle out of minnesota, they have a lot of wingers, maybe he is would expendable. I have always liked his game although he hasnt translated to the nhl yet.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
what do you guys think it would take to get charlie coyle out of minnesota, they have a lot of wingers, maybe he is would expendable. I have always liked his game although he hasnt translated to the nhl yet.
I think they're just taking their time with him, the Wild have some depth at center, so I think it would be a pretty hard sell, especially in division.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Beerfish

In the tsn rumor bit in which Dreger was talking he specifically mentioned the eastern conference. I don't think Colorado is going to trade him in the west and especially not in the same division.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
In the tsn rumor bit in which Dreger was talking he specifically mentioned the eastern conference. I don't think Colorado is going to trade him in the west and especially not in the same division.
unless he is dealt then re-dealt back to us, perfect world i know

Old
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
BowDangles

Oilers are going to have to make a move here right away.. They have Jones/Horcoff/Peckham all coming back within the next month.. That creates a log jam on the wing as well as on defence.. so here is how I see our depth chart.

RW - Eberle, Hemsky, Jones, Hartikinen, Eager
C - RNH, Gagner, Horcoff, Belanger, Lander
LW - Hall, Yak, MPS, Smyth, Petrell

D - Shultz, Shultz, Petry, Smid, Whitney, Fistric, Potter, Peckham

So on wing they could send MPS and Hartikainen down without dealing with waivers but they are better players than some of the others currently on that list.

And on D they either have to trade Peckham or take a risk on some one going through waivers..

Old
02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Oilers are going to have to make a move here right away.. They have Jones/Horcoff/Peckham all coming back within the next month.. That creates a log jam on the wing as well as on defence.. so here is how I see our depth chart.

So on wing they could send MPS and Hartikainen down without dealing with waivers but they are better players than some of the others currently on that list.

And on D they either have to trade Peckham or take a risk on some one going through waivers..
Could send lander back to OKC and I have to think Whitney if is not dealt he could very well get waived. There's also a pretty good chance that of those 25 skaters not all are going to be healthy at once this year. It would be nice, but I don't know that it happens.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

witht he forwards we should have the ones bolded playing when all healthy, imo

the d is tricker because i am in the camp that whitney will find his game and soon. many have soured on hmi but history has taught me that is wrong. remember how souray was not an NHL player anymore etc etc, we he is and is playing very well so i have hope for whitney still.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:24 AM
awesomo
HARD!

ROR is should only be Sam gagner and like a 4th or something.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Beerfish

One thing I positively hate is sending down one player over another just because of the waiver rule. MPS does not deserve to be sent down and in the long run it sends a bad message that even if you work on things, get better and play well you're going down because we don't want to lose such and such a player.

I'm sure it happens all the time but I find it highly annoying.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I've been advocating this for awhile now...ROR would be the perfect 2nd line center and complement to RNH on a great young Oilers team...Reasonable size, faceoff ability, offensive and great at both ends of the ice. Can fill in at 1st line or 3rd line..makes no difference.
I realize the Avs would prefer to send him east but I have trouble believing we couldn't make a package work of some combination of Gagner/Hemsky/1st round in 13/14, 2 x 2nd round picks/ MPS/Hartikanen/Klefbom, other D and F prospects, etc...We have plenty of assets that aren't RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak or Schultz and the perfect center isn't going to come around every day. I really hope ST is working hard at this..

Old
02-13-2013, 11:35 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I am very hesitant to trade Sam Gagner right now. His dad matured into a great player around the same age as Gagner now.. He is playing at a great pace right now, getting points and creating plays. Originally I was thinking it was due to him playing with Hemsky and Yakupov but those two are not producing any where near Gagner right now.

Hemsky only has this year and next on his contract, if we had to move one of the two I think you move Hemsky.

Obviously in a ideal world you would trade someone like MPS instead of these two but that does not return the same value..

Old
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

IMO if we were to move Gagner for him we wouldn't need to add a lot due to Gagner's hot start. That said I still see more value for this club in ROR than I do in Gagner. There have to be deals to be made out there if we are floating Gagner or Hemsky as the bait with the way that they have been playing offensively this season.

02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
I am very hesitant to trade Sam Gagner right now. His dad matured into a great player around the same age as Gagner now.. He is playing at a great pace right now, getting points and creating plays. Originally I was thinking it was due to him playing with Hemsky and Yakupov but those two are not producing any where near Gagner right now.

Hemsky only has this year and next on his contract, if we had to move one of the two I think you move Hemsky.

Obviously in a ideal world you would trade someone like MPS instead of these two but that does not return the same value..
If Sam could play in his own end like Dave did and win face offs, he'd be a great 2C. I just don't think he has that in his game.

I'd prefer to keep him as a winger if possible but I'd flip him for ROR in a second.

Closed Thread