HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Fishy Scales

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Does it matter? The fanbase is still the same.

Take Belanger, outside of offense he did exactly what was needed. At 1.8mil look at the headache surrounding around him.

What the hell would happen if ROR making 4.5+ gets 25 points?
Sorry, I went back and read what you wrote first and I misunderstood you.

Anyways, I agree that there is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Tambellini. Essentially he's done what he was asked to do: blow everything up and acquire high draft picks. Now just because we lucked out and got three straight first overalls, people expect us to win the cup or something.

Back when ownership still thought we had a playoff-calibre team, he did go after Heatley for example.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Brian Boyle for Ryan Whitney. Book it.
You sound so certain...

Old
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
so ditch gagner one of the only players who have shown up every game this year and bring back grebeshov?

lol hfoil man its filled with crazies

Old
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62297

That's my guess. Can't see them bringing another soft bottom pairing d-man in Grebs. I'd give him a camp invite, but by no means does he get a deal.
Stauffer was specifically referring to a Defenseman.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He hasn't proven enough to be worth 4.5M, he should sign a 2 year deal and prove that he's worth it. Then in 2 years if he continues at the pace he was at last year he gets a big long term deal.
Exactly, he's had one pretty good season after having 2 very average seasons, and he wants a 4-6 year deal at 4.5+ million? Not. A. Chance.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
I agree with your thoughts alot but, frankly, I'm not following you today..What's a 35 year old Belanger UFA have to do with ST making a slick, coordinated trade for a needed asset for his team??
Belanger was a needed asset on this team. A guy that can play in the bottom 6, win draws and play PK.

He was a much smaller level and people complain(ed) about getting him. So to think that people aren't going to complain when/if RoR doesn't get the offense is a bit far fetched.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe my brain is working slowly today but what big, 29 goal scorer did we get?? Or are we talking rumours?
Either way, it's not coming to me..
Dustin Penner move?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Sorry, I went back and read what you wrote first and I misunderstood you.

Anyways, I agree that there is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Tambellini. Essentially he's done what he was asked to do: blow everything up and acquire high draft picks. Now just because we lucked out and got three straight first overalls, people expect us to win the cup or something.

Back when ownership still thought we had a playoff-calibre team, he did go after Heatley for example.
Well that's the other thing. You'll never please this fan base unless a cup if won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Stauffer was specifically referring to a Defenseman.
Gotcha. Doesn't leave a lot of players.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:41 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by *M*J*D* View Post
Bob mentioned maybe bringing Streit in next year, and also mentioned bringing back a former player from europe (I am guessing Grebeshkov). What are your thoughts? Streit is getting up there, then again maybe that's just what we need. I was a fan of Grebs though.
did he say "former player" "former player for the oilers" or "familiar face" because there is no one that has played for the oilers that is in europe that i want on our team unless Ulanov circa 1997 is available. If they said familiar face maybe its Klefbom, that is the only tollerable option but coming off injury and being a rookie i dont see that happening.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Well that's the other thing. You'll never please this fan base unless a cup if won.

Gotcha. Doesn't leave a lot of players.
lol this fan base? they would complain about how the oilers celebrated and how the parade route is BS and doesnt hit enough of the right areas. then they would break down the costs of the parade and rings and find an economically better way to do it (in their opinion).

Old
02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
joestevens29

Former d-men from the Oilers that are in Europe. Unless I'm missing someone I don't see how this is going to help.

Denis Grebshkov
Daniel Tjarnqvist
Dick Tarnstrom
Alexei Semenov

Old
02-13-2013, 03:57 PM
DousedInOil

Is it really that hard to find 6 plugs who can fill out the bottom 2 lines?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

First, Grebeshkov isn't soft. He's not overly physical, but he's NOT soft. The playing an entire game in Nashville after taking a puck to the junk (in the first period) that caused him require surgery afterwards tells me that.

Second, is Grebeshkov really a worse option then Potter?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Belanger was a needed asset on this team. A guy that can play in the bottom 6, win draws and play PK.

He was a much smaller level and people complain(ed) about getting him. So to think that people aren't going to complain when/if RoR doesn't get the offense is a bit far fetched.
Quote:
I understand that and, all I can say is, so what? There's thousands of fans around the Oilers (and other teams), with different, thoughts, personalities, likes/dislikes, etc. There's no way in the world to please everyone. That's not ST's job. His job is to put the best product on the ice that's possible.
What I'm simply saying is it appears he's never making the hard decisions...It's the amateur scouts that pretty much decide which players to draft. It's the professional scouts, along with a few assistants perhaps, that give the goods on potential trade targets, etc. Those can be difficult decisions but only if you ever make them. Sometimes you have to make difficult moves and live with the consequences and, IMO, ST doesn't really make those moves..It's the easy status quo and wait for the draft picks to pan out. He gets a 5-6 year contract while everyone is waiting and then when it doesn't work, oh well, the draft picks didn't pan out...been there..done that..

Essentially, JS became our Ryan Murray this year..and may even be better...Yakupov was a gift and an extra 1st overall....With that 'gift', it should put us ahead of the rebuild. The rest of the job should be to build around the young core and to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves whereby you can acquire a top end asset to fill a much needed hole on the team for the next 6-7 years at the cost of a few assets that we can afford to give up...I like Gagner and have supported him for years. I think he's a good player but has a similiar skill set to what we now already have in the top 6..

Seems like an easy decision to me...

Old
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
I understand that and, all I can say is, so what? There's thousands of fans around the Oilers (and other teams), with different, thoughts, personalities, likes/dislikes, etc. There's no way in the world to please everyone. That's not ST's job. His job is to put the best product on the ice that's possible.
What I'm simply saying is it appears he's never making the hard decisions...It's the amateur scouts that pretty much decide which players to draft. It's the professional scouts, along with a few assistants perhaps, that give the goods on potential trade targets, etc. Those can be difficult decisions but only if you ever make them. Sometimes you have to make difficult moves and live with the consequences and, IMO, ST doesn't really make those moves..It's the easy status quo and wait for the draft picks to pan out. He gets a 5-6 year contract while everyone is waiting and then when it doesn't work, oh well, the draft picks didn't pan out...been there..done that..

Essentially, JS became our Ryan Murray this year..and may even be better...Yakupov was a gift and an extra 1st overall....With that 'gift', it should put us ahead of the rebuild. The rest of the job should be to build around the young core and to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves whereby you can acquire a top end asset to fill a much needed hole on the team for the next 6-7 years at the cost of a few assets that we can afford to give up...I like Gagner and have supported him for years. I think he's a good player but has a similiar skill set to what we now already have in the top 6..

Seems like an easy decision to me...
im sure it is but please tell us how many available trades there are out there that get us value for our asset? people talk like there are offers of great players available. im sure we can get brian boyle for gagner but ST does a pretty good job of not getting completely hosed.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
im sure it is but please tell us how many available trades there are out there that get us value for our asset? people talk like there are offers of great players available. im sure we can get brian boyle for gagner but ST does a pretty good job of not getting completely hosed.
I don't want to repeat everything again but if you look back, this is on the ROR issue and my contention that we have the assets to get ROR without giving up the top 5...some combination of Gagner/Hemsky/1st round in 13/14, MPS, 2nd round, D or F prospects, etc..whatever..realizing that we will need to over pay because of the same division...I see ROR as that needed 22 yr old 2nd line C with decent size, FO/defensive/offensive skills, etc. A better version of Gagner, if you will. If Gagner stays and Hemsky or another asset goes, fine..Gagner as a wing and backup C...

Anyway, noone has convinced me this would be a bad move and I can't seem to convince the rest it's a good move so I'll leave it alone for awhile and see how things work out..

Back to your regularely scheduled conversation topics.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
You sound so certain...
I do.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
I don't want to repeat everything again but if you look back, this is on the ROR issue and my contention that we have the assets to get ROR without giving up the top 5...some combination of Gagner/Hemsky/1st round in 13/14, MPS, 2nd round, D or F prospects, etc..whatever..realizing that we will need to over pay because of the same division...I see ROR as that needed 22 yr old 2nd line C with decent size, FO/defensive/offensive skills, etc. A better version of Gagner, if you will. If Gagner stays and Hemsky or another asset goes, fine..Gagner as a wing and backup C...

Anyway, noone has convinced me this would be a bad move and I can't seem to convince the rest it's a good move so I'll leave it alone for awhile and see how things work out..

Back to your regularely scheduled conversation topics.
I don't think it's as much a question of whether it's a good idea to trade or him or not. It's more a question of whether we are willing to give up what the Avs would be asking for in return for ROR.

Not to mention the fact that I'm guessing the Avs would not trade him to a divisional rival.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
joestevens29

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
I know Eric Tangradi has been disappointing in Pittsburgh, but a seventh-rounder in return is "don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Jets acquire tangradi. Something tells me if you can't fit with the team that is looking for a winger for not 1 but two franchise centerman you are done.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
I know Eric Tangradi has been disappointing in Pittsburgh, but a seventh-rounder in return is "don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Jets acquire tangradi. Something tells me if you can't fit with the team that is looking for a winger for not 1 but two franchise centerman you are done.
Speaking of PIT and looking for a winger, Ryan Smyth as a veteran might beable to fill that spot, they could get him for cheap and he's gets a shot at a Cup

Old
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Gmen 1

What's the plan Tambo???? Pecks is a week away, Jones 2 weeks, Horcoff 3 weeks, somebody's got to go??????

Old
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen 1 View Post
What's the plan Tambo???? Pecks is a week away, Jones 2 weeks, Horcoff 3 weeks, somebody's got to go??????
Hopefully Ryan Smyth

Old
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Slats432

Quote:
There are enough guys that won't require waivers (MP, AL, TH) that he doesn't HAVE to make a move, but the way the two guys are playing they are trying to force his hand.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Speaking of PIT and looking for a winger, Ryan Smyth as a veteran might beable to fill that spot, they could get him for cheap and he's gets a shot at a Cup
Would Smyth go there and would PIT want that extra year?
Quote:
Worry about too many players when we get there.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:09 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Today's comment from Tambo that he's "not actively trying" to trade Whitney makes it sound like Whitney is available as part of the right package.

What would a package that included some combination of Whitney, Smyth and Potter bring in return?

Closed Thread