HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 01:50 AM
  #926
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Free agents I want to target this offseason:

Horton - I think he's just what we need in the top 6. Although he has concussion problems, he's played in the playoffs quite a bit in his career and can add some veteran presence. I have a feeling he could be the odd man out in Boston. 3 years at 4.5 per.
Horton is on the top of the list of the players I want (who I don't think will re-sign with the team they are on), he does play the wrong wing, but I still see it as a good fit and would blend well into our group.

Matt Hendricks is a role player that might be a good addition, he provides good physicality and I was impressed with his play in last years playoffs. He takes more penalties than one would like, I don't know if he would really fit Krueger's mold. The other problem is he fills a similair role to Eager and while it might seem like a good idea to have both out there smashing d-men on the forecheck, I could see them making some bad reads and forcing hits that aren't there for odd-man rushes the other way. Still for a team lacking some sandpaper he is someone we should look at.

Simon Gagne is someone worth looking at I'm guessing someone will pay him like a high end 2nd liner, if that is the case we should probably walk away as he appears to be in decline and I'm sure you guys hate the idea for that reason and the fact that he is fragile and doesn't add the size we need. I'd still want to add him though he's a good veteran with a strong defensive game and still can pitch on offense, him and Jones on the 3rd line with a strong center should be a really good line. Capable of pitching in on the 2nd line if there are injuries and may help stop some of the bleeding on the defensive end of the likely duo of Gagner + Hemsky/Yakupov. He should be able to help the young guys, he was always a good at finding the right balance between being good offensively while still being accountable on the defensive side of the puck.

True number #1 priority is Ladi Smid for sure though, no way do I want to start next season without him. We need him locked up well before Free Agent Frenzy begins.

Burnt Biscuits is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
  #927
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,797
vCash: 50
I don't understand why everyone is insisting that we need to trade Hemsky. We need someone like Ales to keep our team steady when it comes that we are making a push in the playoffs in a year or 2. He has the experience of going to the final, and he appears to be playing some of the best hockey of his career. Why exactly would we trade him? Imagine if that rumored trade to Pittsburgh would have happened last year? He would be destroying it with Crosby or Malkin.

I think for the most part our top 6 for the next 5 years is set. Gagner is probably the one I view as being expendable for an upgrade (and I like Gagner) and if he was willing to take a role as a center on the third line if we decided to run 3 scoring lines that could work for me as well.

Eberle/RNH/Hall
Hemsky/???/Yakupov
Hartikinen/Gagner/Paajarvi

That top 9 could do a lot of damage. And Paajarvi and Gagner could always switch off defensively (some teams do that with guys who work well as a center in the offensive zone but not so much in the back end)

molsonmuscle360 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:13 AM
  #928
Bangers
Registered User
 
Bangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I don't understand why everyone is insisting that we need to trade Hemsky. We need someone like Ales to keep our team steady when it comes that we are making a push in the playoffs in a year or 2. He has the experience of going to the final, and he appears to be playing some of the best hockey of his career. Why exactly would we trade him? Imagine if that rumored trade to Pittsburgh would have happened last year? He would be destroying it with Crosby or Malkin.

I think for the most part our top 6 for the next 5 years is set. Gagner is probably the one I view as being expendable for an upgrade (and I like Gagner) and if he was willing to take a role as a center on the third line if we decided to run 3 scoring lines that could work for me as well.

Eberle/RNH/Hall
Hemsky/???/Yakupov
Hartikinen/Gagner/Paajarvi

That top 9 could do a lot of damage. And Paajarvi and Gagner could always switch off defensively (some teams do that with guys who work well as a center in the offensive zone but not so much in the back end)
I don't think anybody really "wants" to trade Hemsky (except Terry Jones), but two things come into play:

1. As you noted, Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov are going to occupy 3 out of the top 4 wing spots for the foreseeable future
2. Hemmer only has 1 year left on his contract after this year at 5 mil/year.
3. Hemsky is the most marketable player (along with Gagner) that isn't one of the core franchise players.

With Hall, Nuge, Yakupov, Eberle, and Schultz all looking at 6 mil/year contracts, Duby at 3.5 and 7-9 million likely to be spent on Smid and Petry, that's roughly 43 million tied up in contracts and the team will still need 12 skaters and a backup goalie.

Gagner will be expensive after this year, so i have a feeling it's going to come down to Hemsky or Gagner.

Bangers is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
  #929
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Yakupov+Gagner+ 1th 2014 for Nicklas Backstrom Washington Capitals
Talk about not just over paying but drastically.


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 02-18-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: keep it civil
rockinghockey is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  #930
jmoss45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EDM
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Don't want Horton. At least not at what he'll demand on the open market. Part of the point of bringing him in would be to protect our other skill guys. When a guy like him or Eager gets a concussion, it reduces how effective they can be. You want a guy to jump in immediately if Nuge/Eberle get rocked, not for a guy to be timid worried about another concussion.

Definite no to Gagne. He's one of the most fragile guys in the league. He seems like a guy who will end up in Pit or Phx.


I wonder what it would take for LA to move Brown? They discussed it last year, since they apparently want to give the C to Richards. They could use some scoring & help on their PP. Maybe Hemsky+ for Brown?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Gagner-Brown

Clifford/Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Carter-Richards-Hemsky

jmoss45 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #931
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Talk about not just over paying but drastically.
Maybe if Washington was offering the first and a prospect, it would make sense.

Gagner+Yakupov for Backstrom+1st+prospect

At least then you are trading two proven firsts for one exceptional first, a potential great first, and a prospect.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
  #932
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 58,614
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
This thread is unreadable. I can't believe some of the things I am seeing on here! Rediculous.
When we have people saying trade Eberle things are silly. We do not know what we have in Yakupov and a few other kids.

But when we have people saying get Matt Kassian because he is big and looking at his stats, he does not use his body for anything but fighting--if he had more hits then I can see the point.

This place does my head in more often then not

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  #933
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Free agents I want to target this offseason:

Horton - I think he's just what we need in the top 6. Although he has concussion problems, he's played in the playoffs quite a bit in his career and can add some veteran presence. I have a feeling he could be the odd man out in Boston. 3 years at 4.5 per.

Or

Ryane Clowe - similar to Horton, he would add size and depth and experience to the top 9. He's not as good as Horton, but he would make a good consolation prize. 3 years at 2.5 per.

And

Jaromir Jagr - some people tossed this idea around a few years ago, he has a great relationship with Hemsky and could slot in anywhere, help be power play and help the young guys. We need some good veterans and hes one of the best all time, he would be the perfect guy. 1 year at 3 mil.

And

Rod Scuderi - I know we need top pairing defenseman, but Scuderi is a massive upgrade over Whitney and Potter on the third pairing. Him, Smid and N Schultz would be a great group of shut down guys to play against others teams top lines. He's another veteran guy with playoff experience. He also adds D depth to the roster so that we don't need to rush Klefbom in. 2 years at 2.5 mil.
I'd be shocked if Tambo went after any of them, but hey, who knows...

Asher is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:45 PM
  #934
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Don't want Horton. At least not at what he'll demand on the open market. Part of the point of bringing him in would be to protect our other skill guys. When a guy like him or Eager gets a concussion, it reduces how effective they can be. You want a guy to jump in immediately if Nuge/Eberle get rocked, not for a guy to be timid worried about another concussion.

Definite no to Gagne. He's one of the most fragile guys in the league. He seems like a guy who will end up in Pit or Phx.


I wonder what it would take for LA to move Brown? They discussed it last year, since they apparently want to give the C to Richards. They could use some scoring & help on their PP. Maybe Hemsky+ for Brown?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yak-Gagner-Brown

Clifford/Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Carter-Richards-Hemsky
Horton and Eager will likely fight less due to their injuries but neither is a timid guy and both would step up if the situation really called for it, of that I have little doubt. It's the planned fights and fights to build momentum/energy they will/should be shying away from.

Gagne seems to be chasing cups at this stage of his career, Pittsburgh seems like a good destination although the Philly fans who used to love him wouldn't be pleased about it, Phoenix isn't a good fit for him IMO.

The tone of your post seems like you want to get away from anyone who has had some injuries, players with past injury history do come with some dangers which are fairly self evident. They also come with some benefit in that there is less demand and can usually be had cheaper than players without the same injury history, it also gives a chance to look at some prospect at the NHL level. Despite all Gagne's injuries he always bounce back to play at a high level and I definitely would not condone anything past a two year signing with an injury history like his.

We all know we are not a premiere destination for the best the free agent market has to give unless we are willing to overpay by a fairly significant margin. Players with injury history, reclamation projects, bottom six players who want the biggest payday, and players who want more ice time/bigger role than what they were get on a contending team are the players we will be in the running for.

This should be a particularly good year to go hunting in the UFA market given the shrinking cap hopefully keeping spending at a more reasonable level.

With regards to Brown I am against it, the asking price will be very high and if a contending team is looking to get rid of their captain that makes me really question his character. He is big and hits hard, but honestly I would like this team a lot less with him, he is without a doubt the biggest diver in the league. This does carry some obvious benefit in that our powerplay would get more opportunity to shine, but also once he gets a reputation for diving it will extend to the rest of our team as well and refs will tend to shy away from making some calls that are borderline against our other skill guys, which could mean more liberties taken with them in general. Brown while tough enough to take care of himself doesn't exude the grit or don't mess with my teammates kind of aura that will really aid in protecting them.

Burnt Biscuits is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
  #935
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Talk about not just over paying but drastically.
Do you think capitals would do this Trade? I dont thinks it enough for them, a proven young elite C who is elite in every zone.

The value in this is potentional against proven elite! A elite C has more value then wingers and are harder to find. We dont know where Yak ends up but to get a Elite c someone not named Hall-Rnh and Eberle has to go. The first 2014 i expect wouldnt be that high up.

Gagner hasnt so much value by his own maybe he fetch a 2 rounder+ a longshot prospect!

McClelland is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
  #936
ZugNugget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
When Tavares gets fed up with the Islanders and asks for a trade, do you think Yakupov + Gagner gets it done?

ZugNugget is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  #937
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
When Tavares gets fed up with the Islanders and asks for a trade, do you think Yakupov + Gagner gets it done?
I wonder how often other teams make the same joke about the Oilers with Hall, Eberle and RNH.

Spawn is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
  #938
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Do you think capitals would do this Trade? I dont thinks it enough for them, a proven young elite C who is elite in every zone.

The value in this is potentional against proven elite! A elite C has more value then wingers and are harder to find. We dont know where Yak ends up but to get a Elite c someone not named Hall-Rnh and Eberle has to go. The first 2014 i expect wouldnt be that high up.

Gagner hasnt so much value by his own maybe he fetch a 2 rounder+ a longshot prospect!
Nice rose colored glasses you wear, Backstrom is good but I don't break the bank for him.

Tedi is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
  #939
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,879
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I wonder how often other teams make the same joke about the Oilers with Hall, Eberle and RNH.
Major difference being that the Oilers have a great supporting cast,and that the Islanders don't.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
  #940
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
I think Brown is a bit over rated and will get over paid on his next contract.

rockinghockey is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:07 PM
  #941
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,214
vCash: 500
Seems like the players our team need are surfacing a little.

By that, I mean this:
O'Reilly-contract dispute, trade talks
Clarkson-2013 UFA
Clowe-2013 UFA
Callahan-2014 UFA
Bolland-2014 UFA

Hmmm..

Paralyzer008 is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
  #942
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Would love to see us trade Whitney for a pending ufa, stay at home veteran defenceman that we could perhaps resign.

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 10:13 PM
  #943
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Seems like the players our team need are surfacing a little.

By that, I mean this:
O'Reilly-contract dispute, trade talks
Clarkson-2013 UFA
Clowe-2013 UFA
Callahan-2014 UFA
Bolland-2014 UFA

Hmmm..
Chances are that all these players will resign with their team.

rockinghockey is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 10:28 PM
  #944
misfit
5-14-6-1
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...ever
Posts: 15,805
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Chances are that all these players will resign with their team.
It won't be to us, but at this point, I have to think O'Reilly will be traded. Clowe will command more than the $3.625M he's currently making, and SJ will probably need him to take less if they want to stay under the cap. I'm not sure he'd see Edmonton as an ideal situation, but I don't see him staying in San Jose. There will be lots of competition for him in the free agent market.

Callahan and Bolland are no-brainers to stay put, and probably Clarkson as well.


In general, I can't imagine the UFA market is a realistic place for us to fill any major holes. Schultz was a young player just starting his pro hockey career, but most UFAs are more likely to look for a situation with a more immediate payoff for them. And that means playoffs/SC contention.

We're going to need to become a good team before we'll be able to attract UFAs, rather than signing UFAs to become a good team.

I truly believe the trade route is still the best option for us in the immediate future. We need to basically forget about guys like Clowe unless maybe the Sharks somehow become sellers at the deadline.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
  #945
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,466
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It won't be to us, but at this point, I have to think O'Reilly will be traded. Clowe will command more than the $3.625M he's currently making, and SJ will probably need him to take less if they want to stay under the cap. I'm not sure he'd see Edmonton as an ideal situation, but I don't see him staying in San Jose. There will be lots of competition for him in the free agent market.

Callahan and Bolland are no-brainers to stay put, and probably Clarkson as well.


In general, I can't imagine the UFA market is a realistic place for us to fill any major holes. Schultz was a young player just starting his pro hockey career, but most UFAs are more likely to look for a situation with a more immediate payoff for them. And that means playoffs/SC contention.

We're going to need to become a good team before we'll be able to attract UFAs, rather than signing UFAs to become a good team.

I truly believe the trade route is still the best option for us in the immediate future. We need to basically forget about guys like Clowe unless maybe the Sharks somehow become sellers at the deadline.
With Thornton, Marleau & Boyle all heading to free agency in 2014 it should be interesting to see what direction they're heading in. If they did it right, they could really set themselves up for the future.

Bergeron47 is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:06 AM
  #946
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Would love to see us trade Whitney for a pending ufa, stay at home veteran defenceman that we could perhaps resign.
SJS's Douglas Murray (32) fits the bill, but their prefernce would be for a pick or forward. Same goes for NJD's Henrik Tallinder (34), plus he's already signed for an extra year (about all you want at his age).

Either Swede could serve as a mentor type for Klefbom as well, while making up next season's third pairing with him.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 12:59 AM
  #947
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Major difference being that the Oilers have a great supporting cast,and that the Islanders don't.
Yeah, because we're always in the playoffs .

We have a terrible supporting cast on this team - it's one of the team's biggest issues:

1) size on top 6
2) bottom-6 forwards and bottom-pairing defenseman (supporting cast)
3) top-pairing defenseman

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
  #948
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Douglas Murray is great but is basically a bottom pairing defender at this point in his career.

He's just too slow.

dustrock is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
  #949
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,994
vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
When Tavares gets fed up with the Islanders and asks for a trade, do you think Yakupov + Gagner gets it done?
It's always funny when fans of one bottom feeding team, mock another bottom feeding team.

And judging by Tavares comments after signing his 6 yr extension, Tavares knows better then most fans and members of the press, how much the isles are counting on players like Strome/Nino/Ullstrom/Brock Nelson.


Like Streit in his recent comments, guys like Tavares and Moulson think the isles are pretty close to having the worm turn. They are trying to figure out how to consistently bring a strong effort.


http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4661881
"The fact is I like it here. We have a really good team," said Streit, who entered Saturday night's game leading Islanders defensemen in scoring (3-3-6 in 13 games) while carrying a team-worst minus-9 rating. "I've been here five years and I have a really good role, I love the room and I can tell the improvement is here the last few years. It's maybe 5 percent we're missing to break through. Overall, I'd like to stay."

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
  #950
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4661881
"The fact is I like it here. We have a really good team," said Streit, who entered Saturday night's game leading Islanders defensemen in scoring (3-3-6 in 13 games) while carrying a team-worst minus-9 rating. "I've been here five years and I have a really good role, I love the room and I can tell the improvement is here the last few years. It's maybe 5 percent we're missing to break through. Overall, I'd like to stay."
I would hope the Oilers would be able to snag Streit up if he goes to UFA. Kruger and him have a history..if that counts for anything.. He would be a nice addition to our top 4 and a replacement for Whitney on our #2 PP unit if Whitney does not get his game back and is moved/walks

BowDangles is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.