HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 01:34 PM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Bud Holloway is an upcoming UFA I'd love to snag.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It won't be to us, but at this point, I have to think O'Reilly will be traded. Clowe will command more than the $3.625M he's currently making, and SJ will probably need him to take less if they want to stay under the cap. I'm not sure he'd see Edmonton as an ideal situation, but I don't see him staying in San Jose. There will be lots of competition for him in the free agent market.

Callahan and Bolland are no-brainers to stay put, and probably Clarkson as well.

We're going to need to become a good team before we'll be able to attract UFAs, rather than signing UFAs to become a good team.

I truly believe the trade route is still the best option for us in the immediate future. We need to basically forget about guys like Clowe unless maybe the Sharks somehow become sellers at the deadline.
Clarkson- There's nothing to suggest he stays in NJ. He is the prototypical power forward, and has arguably replaced Lucic as the best in the league. I bet he gets big money somewhere else.

Sharks/Clowe- IMO there's a good chance they deal him before the deadline. He still hasn't scored & they're in a slump. The problem is he would look good on almost any team, so I bet the asking price is high.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Clarkson- There's nothing to suggest he stays in NJ. He is the prototypical power forward, and has arguably replaced Lucic as the best in the league. I bet he gets big money somewhere else.
What makes you say that?

Zajac got his money. I think Clarkson will as well. Devils have a policy that they don't negotiate contracts during the season so there will be no news on the Clarkson front until the offseason. Also Deboer was his coach in junior and had a big part in his development thus far. I am not convinced he leaves just for the big money. Devils have lots of room under the cap to sign him.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
What makes you say that?

Zajac got his money. I think Clarkson will as well. Devils have a policy that they don't negotiate contracts during the season so there will be no news on the Clarkson front until the offseason. Also Deboer was his coach in junior and had a big part in his development thus far. I am not convinced he leaves just for the big money. Devils have lots of room under the cap to sign him.
I agree with you. And even if he is looking for a payday, I think the Devils would be one of the top bidders anyway. Obviously him leaving is a possibility, but I think the odds are good that he stays.

02-19-2013, 02:15 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I wouldn't be surprised to see BUF's Drew Stafford ($4M, 2015 UFA) traded to EDM at the TDL or this summer, especially with his uncle, Barrie Stafford's ties to the Oilers.

If BOS can't re-sign pending UFA Nathan Horton, BUF may well be positioned to ink Horton (which would necessitate the dumping of Stafford, who as of right now is in Ruff's doghouse). Horton and his wife are from Welland ON, just across the border from Buffalo.

02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Bud Holloway is an upcoming UFA I'd love to snag.
Kid jumped ship to Europe a little too quick

Old
02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Kid jumped ship to Europe a little too quick
Can't blame a guy for wanting to support his family. He did his time in the A.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
What was the reason for him not getting a shot in the NHL? Seems odd the kid who led your team for 2 years in scoring in the AHL doesn't get a shot. Attitude? Too slow?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What was the reason for him not getting a shot in the NHL? Seems odd the kid who led your team for 2 years in scoring in the AHL doesn't get a shot. Attitude? Too slow?
Maybe he lacks the hockey sense and the extra gear a la Alex Grioux

Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Talking with Kings fans it sounds like last year he would have been their first call up but went to Sweden instead.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:53 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Maybe he lacks the hockey sense and the extra gear a la Alex Grioux
His reputation for being a player who can play in any situation and a clutch playoff performer would go against that.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Talking with Kings fans it sounds like last year he would have been their first call up but went to Sweden instead.
Seems odd. I mean he's that good, then wouldn't the Kings explain that to him or at the very least try move him?

Old
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
His reputation for being a player who can play in any situation and a clutch playoff performer would go against that.
For top AHL guys, I always wonder about hockey sense, my point is always Shawn Belle. Has all the tools to be an NHLer, but doesn't have the hockey sense/smarts to handle regular time in the NHL.

Either way, I hope he does well in Europe comes back and gets a shot.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:01 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Seems odd. I mean he's that good, then wouldn't the Kings explain that to him or at the very least try move him?
You would think. Kings fans seem pretty frustrated with the way it all panned out. I think they were really expecting him to see some time last year.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
For top AHL guys, I always wonder about hockey sense, my point is always Shawn Belle. Has all the tools to be an NHLer, but doesn't have the hockey sense/smarts to handle regular time in the NHL.

Either way, I hope he does well in Europe comes back and gets a shot.
Yeah who knows. He's current leading the Eliteserien in scoring so we'll see what happens.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah who knows. He's current leading the Eliteserien in scoring so we'll see what happens.
He's probably better off to go to the KHL, that is if it's all about money.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
What would it take for the Oilers to land Ryan Getzlaf?

As much as I'm a fan of Gagner, he'd be my main piece going the other way. I have a feeling Getzlaf wants a change of scenery. I bet that if Katz bucks up, he signs here. How much would a UFA Getzlaf via rental player that the Oilers could probably convince to stay here cost.. Gagner + 2013 2nd and a 2014 2nd or a conditional 1st if he signs an extention with the Oilers?

Last edited by Vagabond: 02-20-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

As much as I'm a fan of Gagner, he'd be my main piece going the other way. I have a feeling Getzlaf wants a change of scenery. I bet that if Katz bucks up, he signs here. How much would a UFA Getzlaf via rental player that the Oilers could probably convince to stay here cost.. Gagner + 2013 2nd and a 2014 2nd or a conditional 1st if he signs an extention with the Oilers?
Losing Gagner for nothing is such a huge gamble. I'm not sure I do it.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Soundwave

The Ducks are second in the conference, don't seem them willingly trading Getzlaf unless he flat out tells them there's zero chance of him resigning.

Maybe something like

Gagner + Petry

for

Bogosian + Jokinen

Is Bogosian worth the risk?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Ducks are second in the conference, don't seem them willingly trading Getzlaf unless he flat out tells them there's zero chance of him resigning.

Maybe something like

Gagner + Petry

for

Bogosian + Jokinen

Interesting deal, I just don't know what incentive there is for WPG. Unless of course Bogosian has big demands for a contract extension.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:

Let's see. Getzlaf is married with 2 kids. His wife is from L.A. What are the odds that would work out?

Old
02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
misfit

Quote:

The going rate for a top end first line rental is fairly well established at this point (Forsberg, Kovalchuk, Hossa, etc.). It's usually a 1st, a young NHL player, and a top prospect. Sometimes an additional lesser pick or lower end prospect. The top prospect is never actually a top prospect. It's usually a famous prospect (aka former 1st rounder) who's development has been headed in the wrong direction. The young NHL player is never someone currently playing a big role on the team and very unlikely to be 1st line players. Teams are only going to give up players they are comfortable losing for a rental, regardless of whether or not they think they can re-sign the player. Giving up Gagner would be too much.

I think a package for Getzlaf from the Oilers would look something like:

- Paajarvi/Hartikainen
- Pitlick/Hamilton/Marincin/Teubert
- 1st round pick
- possibly a 4th/Omark/Plante/etc.

If the Oilers do actually end up trading for Getzlaf at the deadline and include Gagner or Klefbom in the deal, that would be proof positive that Tambellini is incompetent and incapable of making a trade without being taken out to the woodshed.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Soundwave

Hemsky + Petry + EDM 2nd

for

Adam Larsson + NJ 3rd

Old
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Maybe something like

Gagner + Petry

for

Bogosian + Jokinen

I think the Jets win that trade big time. I would much rather have Gagner than Jokinen right now. And if we were to trade Gagner it would hopefully be for a more longterm answer at C than short-term with Jokinen.

Bogosian has big upside no question but I think Petry still has a lot to show and is worth more than he is right now. He had a very solid season last year. Hes looked average through most of this season so far but I think thats due in large to him not playing during the lockout. I liked what I saw from him last night jumping into plays and I think we will see him keeping getting better and better as the year goes on.

Last edited by jsho: 02-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
backhandsauce

Cody McCormick on Waivers. There's our guy. 6'3, 221 lbs.

Assets: Brings his lunch pail to work every day. Can line up at all three forward positions and displays a consistently feisty attitude on the ice. Will even drop the gloves.
Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of offensive ability, and he's only an average skater. Must work extra hard for every point he earns, and is prone to injury and taking bad penalties.
Career Potential: Aggressive, versatile depth forward.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Cody McCormick on waivers from buffalo. 6-3, physical. Would be a good add for a team looking to beef up a bit in bottom six f

Closed Thread