HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
I think the Oilers should throw an RFA offer sheet (1 year deal) at Oreilly in the offseason. Best case scenario he accepts it and we get a great player for some draft picks. Worst case scenario, Colorado matches and he becomes a UFA after a year.

Either that, or they should trade for him. If he's holding out on Colorado, he shouldn't be that difficult to acquire. If he wants 5.5, I would give it to him. He's exactly what we need.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:52 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think the Oilers should throw an RFA offer sheet (1 year deal) at Oreilly in the offseason. Best case scenario he accepts it and we get a great player for some draft picks. Worst case scenario, Colorado matches and he becomes a UFA after a year.

Either that, or they should trade for him. If he's holding out on Colorado, he shouldn't be that difficult to acquire. If he wants 5.5, I would give it to him. He's exactly what we need.
He would be an RFA at the end of next year.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He would be an RFA at the end of next year.
If he signed an RFA deal, he would become an RFA again?

I thought players became UFAs after their RFA contracts expire.

***** confusing

Old
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I dunno... a GM from a team that's playing well may be in a happier mood and may not be as prone to squeezing every last drop out of trading partners for their spare parts.

It's a theory... maybe not a good one... but a theory.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Niet

Quote:

***** confusing
It's age based, but there are a few loopholes.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Franson is barely an upgrade on Whitney even is his current state.
I severely disagree with this statement and Franson's stats seem to back me up on it. Franson would be a huge upgrade on Whitney or Potter for the 3rd pairing.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 AM
dnicks17

Quote:

***** confusing
Players keep their RFA status until they're 27 years old or have played 7 seasons, I believe.

And yeah, like Niet said, there's some confusing loopholes in there too.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
belair

Quote:

So we're going to give up assets to acquire him then give him that contract?

At least Shawn Horcoff hit 70 points once in his career before we gave him that kind of money.

I'm not against acquiring a solid two-way centre, but giving the guy a Horcoff contract after one solid--and likely unsustainable--season, is a way of handcuffing your team with a Horcoff contract.

Simply put. There's a reason why Colorado hasn't come to terms with him yet. We could look awfully silly making a desperate move like that.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
******* ******** ‏@***************
#Oilers interested in bringing Visnovsky in for a 2nd stint. However #Isles need all the D help they can get; Lubo's price could be steep.
Can't see it.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I think most people think an offer sheet for a guy like O'Reilly is the only way you get a young, very promising player like that without giving up any of the big 5.

The thinking is that sure he's a risk because he's not a completely proven asset yet but is there anyone else out there that is A) available and b) available for a price the Oilers would pay in terms of assets going the other way and C) is a solid proven player?

I can't think of any names offhand that fit all 3 of those criteria.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Jean Ralphio

Just to follow-up on the Oilers scouts at the Leafs game: I was watching Sportscentre and it was Stu MacGregor sitting next to Burke in the press box. I was under the impression Stu does only amateur scouting; does he aid in the pro scouting department as well?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:10 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Can't see it.
Visnovsky wanted out last time he was here. Why would we bring him back if he's going to cause problems?

Old
02-12-2013, 01:23 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Visnovsky wanted out last time he was here. Why would we bring him back if he's going to cause problems?
He'd like it better here than on that sinking ship in Long Island.

Tambo needs to wave Whitney at them and see which one he can get.

Streit's a pipe dream, but weirder things have happened.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

If Visnovsky doesn't mind playing in Edmonton for a few months in the spring, he would be a decent target.

He isn't the #1 dman that he was last time he was here, but he is still a big upgrade over Whitney, and can easily fill his spot on the 2nd PP and do a good job there. It sure would be nice to have a big slap-shot on the team.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 AM
iCanada

The Oilers should be looking into a couple of players at this point. Shake things up, add some grit. I don't even mean big blockbuster deals, I mean moving some of our biubles players for some other teams struggling bubble players.

Notable names I've seen voiced displeasure with this season include Ryane Clowe, Bryan Boyle (NYR), John Erskine, Eric Fehr, Dustin Penner (meh, depending on price) and Troy Brouwer.

Some minor fourth line names that could be available: Mike Brown, David Steckel, Marcel Goc, Colton Gillies, Ben Ferriero, Brad Staubitz etc.

Just on guys struggling hard this year we could probably ship out guys like Hemsky, Paajarvi, Khabbi, Belanger (Horc/Smyth/Whitney if we lucky) and a couple mid picks and grab a Brian Boyle, Ryane Clowe, and a couple forth liners and suddenly we not the smalklest team in the league.

For example:
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Clowe-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Steckel/(Horcoff if healthy)-Brown/Petrell/Goc/etc

Call me crazy, but I think that is mighty realistic and makes a sizable difference. And then people could stop *****ing about getting us a big center.

<_<

Even a couple young reclamation projects in guys like Niederreiter, Stewart, and Tangradi out there.

And Hell yeah, I'd do a Whitney for Streit/Lubo deal any day at this point.

Last edited by iCanada: 02-12-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
The Oilers should be looking into a couple of players at this point. Shake things up, add some grit. I don't even mean big blockbuster deals, I mean moving some of our biubles players for some other teams struggling bubble players.

Notable names I've seen voiced displeasure with this season include Ryane Clowe, Bryan Boyle (NYR), John Erskine, Eric Fehr, Dustin Penner (meh, depending on price) and Troy Brouwer.

Some minor fourth line names that could be available: Mike Brown, David Steckel, Marcel Goc, Colton Gillies, Ben Ferriero, Brad Staubitz etc.

Just on guys struggling hard this year we could probably ship out guys like Hemsky, Paajarvi, Khabbi, Belanger (Horc/Smyth/Whitney if we lucky) and a couple mid picks and grab a Brian Boyle, Ryane Clowe, and a couple forth liners and suddenly we not the smalklest team in the league.

For example:
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Clowe-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Steckel/(Horcoff if healthy)-Brown/Petrell/Goc/etc

Call me crazy, but I think that is mighty realistic and makes a sizable difference. And then people could stop *****ing about getting us a big center.

<_<

Even a couple young reclamation projects in guys like Niederreiter, Stewart, and Tangradi out there.

And Hell yeah, I'd do a Whitney for Streit/Lubo deal any day at this point.
Brian Boyle as our 3C would be a nice addition. Adding him and Clowe would definitely make us a tougher to play against squad.

02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
Just to follow-up on the Oilers scouts at the Leafs game: I was watching Sportscentre and it was Stu MacGregor sitting next to Burke in the press box. I was under the impression Stu does only amateur scouting; does he aid in the pro scouting department as well?
I'm under the impression that Burke was there on behalf of USA hockey for some preliminary scouting. Just a correlation but has Macgregor been hired to Hockey Canada to do the same for the Olympics, World Championships etc.?

Aside from that I would have to believe he is involved in the pro aspect part of the Oilersnscouting in some senses. Interesting nonetheless and what I was wondering as well. Much the same when Ken Holland and ST were trying to figure out how to operate that television in the pressbox. I automatically assumed they were showing the other person clips or a clip of a player that may be of potential interest to the other.

Last edited by Grod: 02-12-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old
02-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Would love to see the Oilers aquire Boyle from NY, Steckel from TO to change the complextion and size of the bottom 6 today.

Buyout Smyth/Horcoff in the summer, trade Hemsky for some defensive help while his value is hopefully high, and push to replace him with Clowe off the UFA market for the 2nd line left wing spot to help balance out the top 6 for next year.

See if Penner maybe wants to sign a lower value contract for 1.5'ish million with the intention of offering him a low pressure 3rd line role. I know all the issues surrounding him, and I'm not a fan, but he can probably still be effective in a limited role without the pressure to be a scorer. Barring that, maybe see if Morrow would be interested in a contract for the bottom 6, albeit on a shorter contract given his age and hard miles(definately won't be any question about his effort level).

Would also look at Douglas Murray or Robin Regher(wants to play in western canada) for the bottom six slot, though both could be liabilities going forward with their lack of foot speed. The Oilers really need a stable and tough bottom pairing at some point that is more defensive focused and less error prone. One of those guys with a resigned Fistric could maybe provide that.

Just something I'd like to see. None of these players are original names on these forums by any stretch, not to mention I doubt the Oilers would ever be that proactive. But in the realm making the team tougher to play against, was just thinking about some ideas in the realm of the overhauling some aspects of the team while ruling out fantasy trades, mythical 2nd line centers, and 4th line plugs who don't impact the game.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:13 AM
OiledUp

I don't get the love Penner gets around here. He's a player with a curve pointing downwards, who lacks work ethic and doesn't really seem like he cares anymore. He had a good couple of games in LAs cup run but other than that he's been pretty horrible for the last couple of seasons.

If not to pricey I sure wouldn't mind Ryan Clowe this summer.

Hemsky has been good so far this season but if we can get something good for him at the deadline I'm not against it.
You guys think there's any chance Nashville would do Hemsky for Blum, Spaling and their first rounder? They desperatly need some offensive skill, Blum would improve our blue line and Spaling would improve our bottom six.
Don't know what Spaling and Blums' contract situation is but I think they'd be nice additions to our roster whilst being in a good age for our team going forward.
You could argue we're not getting enough surefire quality from that trade but we have to remember Hemsky is a player with question marks, he won't fetch us the world.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:26 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
lubo wanted out because we were a completey garbage team with no upside in sight. Things have changed here now, or at least they appear to be.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
What advantage is Clowe over Hemsky? Hemsky has finally got good joints and is ready to rumble and obviously wants to be here.

Get rid of non producers keep the producers is a no brainer.

Trade Eberle for a top centre if available. Should get someone decent for him. Everyone knows his potential.

Get rid of Lowe and promote Horcoff to the Über GM spot. Promote Lowe to stay at home GM (he is a lifetimer). Can Tambellini for obvious reasons.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Likely not. Who do you want really?
MTL not moving Subban right now
NYI not moving Hamonic
NYR likely not moving MDZ or Staal and Staal wouldn't be here long-term (see Carolina)
PHX not moving OEL (maybe Yandle but asking price looks big)
STL not moving Shattenkirk

Usually you have to get your guy by A) Contract dispute B) Expiring contract C) Trade Request D) Team actually puts a guy on the trade block
Did we know the following were available?

Phaneuf
Pronger to PHI
Kubina to ATL(22minute 40 point)
Erhoff
Whitney for Luno
Meszaros
Beauchmin
B.Campbell

Old
02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If Chris Stewart's consistency issues continue with the Blues, and they make him available(he's an RFA), would you be interested?

I was reading their "Is Chris Stewart back" thread and they went from saying he looks better to putting out an APB on Stewart.

With the Avs he did alot of what we could use now and a few on that board are speculating it could be getting used to Hitchcock's new system.

So would you be interested? I doubt he comes cheap and it won't be picks and prospects mainly going to the Blues?
Of course you have to be interested. However the better he plays the worse it will be for us to acquire him. STL will have a lot of teams phoning them and I suspect they wait to find a perfect match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He's been on/off the trading block for 3 years now.

There is a reason why a talent starved organization has been putting feelers out for offers on him - he's an overrated player who got paid too much after a career year, and is expendable.
5mil this year and it rises every year.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'm concerned about how many people here think that the Islanders could trade their captain for Whitney, considering how he's played the past two years.
It's the Islanders, the only thing that would shock me at this point is if they waived him. Anything else is game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
@TheFourthPeriod
"3rd straight Leafs home game that 2 Oilers scouts are here #justsaying"

hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
My guesses:

Franson (IIRC we've been interested for a bit)
MacArthur
Steckel
Burke built that team the opposite of our team. They have some good pieces that can help us. OIlbleeder's list is nice, add Kulemin, Mclement, Bozak etc...

Old
02-12-2013, 09:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I'm under the impression that Burke was there on behalf of USA hockey for some preliminary scouting. Just a correlation but has Macgregor been hired to Hockey Canada to do the same for the Olympics, World Championships etc.?

Aside from that I would have to believe he is involved in the pro aspect part of the Oilersnscouting in some senses. Interesting nonetheless and what I was wondering as well. Much the same when Ken Holland and ST were trying to figure out how to operate that television in the pressbox. I automatically assumed they were showing the other person clips or a clip of a player that may be of potential interest to the other.
Could've been in Ontario scouting the OHL as well and is taking a NHL game in.

Closed Thread