HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
jsho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
lubo wanted out because we were a completey garbage team with no upside in sight. Things have changed here now, or at least they appear to be.
Exactly. Now we are a garbage team but have upside

Visnovsky doesnt even want to be playing in the NHL right now. He wanted to keep playing in Slovakia to be with his family and due to his son just having surgery. But he was forced to go to NY due to his contract. I'm sure as soon as the seasons done he is back to Slovakia and done in the NHL.

People questioned his attitude before and I highly doubt his head is going to fully be in the game with all of the above considered.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
Confirmed: Boyle scratched for third straight, Eminger, Bickel out again, Lundqvist in goal

Old
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
Confirmed: Boyle scratched for third straight, Eminger, Bickel out again, Lundqvist in goal

those names sound good, add clowe.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
Confirmed: Boyle scratched for third straight
One has to think that Boyle came into camp in a Peckham-like state.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
One has to think that Boyle came into camp in a Peckham-like state.
Tough to say, he does have the 2nd most hits on the forwards with 33. Still winning 53% of draws. At this point I'd take that even if he's a fat ass.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
I would love to have Boyle on the fourth line. The issue is that we have someone like him in Belanger. Belanger has been doing relatively well for the first stint of this season too.

If Belanger hit more I'd say why bother.

If the Oilers didn't have Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Petrell and Jones I would say trade for Boyle so we have an extra centreman on the roster. Put him on the wing and let him take faceoffs etc. You can never have too many faceoff options. It's too bad that Smyth is still an Oiler because we have better, younger options. I hope Smyth ends up a healthy scratch when Jones returns.

I think we as Oiler fans got too used to having a bad bottom 6, so now that we have one that is more capable, we still want to trade for everyone else's. Whether or not Paajarvi can be more than a third liner is irrelevant. That's where he's slotted in right now. I hope it stays that way.

Very interested in Boyle, but out of greed instead of need.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Mr Sakich

I am not sure we should be spending assets on our bottom 6. In a month or so, we are going to have Horcoff, Belanger, Lander, MPS, Petrell, Teemu, Smyth, and Eager.

Guys like Bickel or Boyle are not an upgrade, certainly not a significant one. That is a solid bottom 6, good pk, good face off guys, some young talent getting their NHL education.

I think we have to have some patience. We are lucky to be winning a few right now so we are not falling out of the race waiting for injured guys to come back. If we are going to invest significant assets, I want it to be for significany players who will contribute in the long term.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I am not sure we should be spending assets on our bottom 6. In a month or so, we are going to have Horcoff, Belanger, Lander, MPS, Petrell, Teemu, Smyth, and Eager.

Guys like Bickel or Boyle are not an upgrade, certainly not a significant one. That is a solid bottom 6, good pk, good face off guys, some young talent getting their NHL education.

I think we have to have some patience. We are lucky to be winning a few right now so we are not falling out of the race waiting for injured guys to come back. If we are going to invest significant assets, I want it to be for significany players who will contribute in the long term.
And then in a month from now when Petrell and Prv we are out, what do we do? Boyle is a guy that would be more than just a short-term fix, he's a guy you have in your lineup next year. Not really sure how Lander or Belanger are better than Boyle either.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
And then in a month from now when Petrell and Prv we are out, what do we do? Boyle is a guy that would be more than just a short-term fix, he's a guy you have in your lineup next year. Not really sure how Lander or Belanger are better than Boyle either.
then our bottom 6 is Horcoff, Belanger, CVV, Teemu, Eager, Smyth, and Lander. That isn't the end of the world. We actually have some organizational depth.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
then our bottom 6 is Horcoff, Belanger, CVV, Teemu, Eager, Smyth, and Lander. That isn't the end of the world. We actually have some organizational depth.
Adding Boyle would give us proven depth. CVV and Lander have proved nothing. Plus Boyle feels the void of a physical player.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Adding Boyle would give us proven depth. CVV and Lander have proved nothing. Plus Boyle feels the void of a physical player.
I'd rather have a player like Boyle, for now, and allow Lander and/or CVV to develop in OKC and earn a spot in a year or two when Belanger and Horcoff are gone, rather than forcing them into a role when they aren't ready. AKA I agree with Joestevens.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'd rather have a player like Boyle, for now, and allow Lander and/or CVV to develop in OKC and earn a spot in a year or two when Belanger and Horcoff are gone, rather than forcing them into a role when they aren't ready. AKA I agree with Joestevens.
Other issue for me, is Belanger here next year? Seems that Stauffer likes to bring that up from time to time.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Other issue for me, is Belanger here next year? Seems that Stauffer likes to bring that up from time to time.
I can't imagine they'll buy him out, because it looks stupid to use an amnesty on a cheap bottom line player, but I could see him traded to a playoff team at the deadline TBH.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I can't imagine they'll buy him out, because it looks stupid to use an amnesty on a cheap bottom line player, but I could see him traded to a playoff team at the deadline TBH.
I doubt a buyout happens, but even if it did it's not exactly the end of the world. If you aren't going to use it on a bigger salary it shouldn't matter.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Oilers have 1 even strength goal from their entire bottom 6 and ALL their dmen. In 12 games.

Think about that for a second... 1 even strength goal from 12 players in 12 games. SAD

They definitely need more production from somewhere other than their top 2 lines.

Even an extra goal every 2-3 games from those 12 players would mean 4-6 more goals over that period of time. That would significantly add to the bottom line in terms of pts in the standings, especially with so much parity.

If they can find players that are better at faceoffs, that can shoot the puck and that can hit... that all leads to better puck possession... acquire them and dump bottom 6 players that aren't performing.

I agree, just because the Oilers have bodies in the bottom 6... that doesn't mean you can't upgrade there. In fact the bottom 6 (and the bottom 3/4 d is exactly where they should be upgrading.

Those players honestly will slowly but surely lose games because of turnovers and zero offensive production. 6 forwards + J Schultz can't do it all and we can't expect Dubnyk to keep up his Vezina-like performance all season.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
rockinghockey

CBJ are in the mood to deal and it sounds like Brassard and Tytun could be had for the right price. They are looking for skill and scoring for the top 6.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cbj130212.html
Brassard I think would be a good 2nd line 2C, he is 6 "1" and over 200lbs. His FO% is about 45%, with his size and improvement on that he can get up to 50%.
Tytun give us a legit top 4 dman. He can play on the 2nd pairing with smid and that will allow Petry to play on the 3rd pairing with Fistric.

CBJ are also in a rebuild and want to improve now at the same time. I know that they would be interested in one of Gagner or Hemsky. My guess would be Hemsky as Howson has always like him and he would be their most skilled player. With Lander and Horc out for a month we would not be in any rush to move Gagner and we can just let his value rise and then Brassard could move up to the 2nd line.
Harti; RNH; Yak
Hall; Gagner; Eberle
PRV; Brassard; Jones
Smyth; Belanger; Petrell/Eager
Schultz; Schultz
Smid; Tytun
Fistric; Petry
Our defense is a lot better and we are a bit bigger.
When Horc comes back move a package of Gagner and picks for a younger winger with some size.
Hall; RNH; Eberle
traded winger; Brassard; Yak
Harti; Horc; Jones
Smyth; Belanger; PRV/Petrel
Eager

What do you guys think and what else would we have to add to Hemsky to get these two players.
In the off season buyout Horc and trade for Boyle.
Next year
Hall; RNH; Eberle
traded winger; Brassard; Yak
PRV; Boyle; Harti
Smyth; Belanger; Jones
Schultz; Schultz
Smid; Tytun
Fistric; Petry
Start Klefbom in the AHL and then bring him up and then Fistric 7th dman.

The winger that we trade gagner for doesn't have to be ready now. He can be a prospect and come up next year as I would be fine with having Harti or Jones in the top 6 just for this year.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Oilers have 1 even strength goal from their entire bottom 6 and ALL their dmen. In 12 games.

Think about that for a second... 1 even strength goal from 12 players in 12 games. SAD

They definitely need more production from somewhere other than their top 2 lines.

Even an extra goal every 2-3 games from those 12 players would mean 4-6 more goals over that period of time. That would significantly add to the bottom line in terms of pts in the standings, especially with so much parity.

If they can find players that are better at faceoffs, that can shoot the puck and that an hit... that all leads to better puck possession... acquire them and dump bottom 6 players that aren't performing.

I agree, just because the Oilers have bodies in theh bottom 6... that doesn't mean you can't upgrade there.. in fact the bottom 6 (and the bottom pairing d is exactly where they should be upgrading.

Those players honestly will slowly but surely lose games because of turnovers and zero offensive production. 6 forwards + J Schultz can't do it all and we can't expect Dubnyk to keep up his Vezina-like performance all season.
While I don't disagree, our top 6 only have 10 goals is just as pathetic.

Just pointing it out.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Mr Forever

No thanks to Brassard. I'd rather acquire another winger, preferably a bigger guy to play in the top 9 and Tyutin. I don't really know who Columbus has, though.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Foligno are forwards I'm interested in.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I doubt a buyout happens, but even if it did it's not exactly the end of the world. If you aren't going to use it on a bigger salary it shouldn't matter.
That's true. The only contract worthy of using it on is Horcoff, and knowing the Oilers they won't do it. So if they do, it'll be on Belanger I guess.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I highly doubt they have to buy out a guy like Belanger... he's on an affordable contract and there's a need for that type of solid PK killing centre who can win a faceoff. I can think of a lot of teams that would take a player like that for a pick.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Beerfish

Tytun yes, Brassard no.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I'd trade for Boyle and Tyutin
I've seen Boyle on the PP. He creates havoc in front of the net

Old
02-12-2013, 12:18 PM
jmoss45

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more. In 'a month or so' the oilers will be well out of a playoff spot if they continue playing this way. They're still without Horcoff and without any kind of physical presence.

Lander is an AHLer, Teemu/MPS can be sent down and there will likely be 1 forward out at all times throughout the year.

Boyle can also play LW. He could be shifted to that wing when Horcoff is healthy, if need be. Still a very valuable player to us at the moment.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Foligno are forwards I'm interested in.
Dubinsky is interesting. Really good at puck protection and along the boards, brings lots of grit and I believe he has the ability to pot 20 goals consistently. He hasn't had the best of linemates in CBJ thus far either.

He's also a good leader and stands up for teammates. Signed for 2 more years after this one at $4.2M/yr. I'd be ok with trying to acquire him if the cost isn't bad. CBJ may want more futures which works well for us. I'm not sure he's available but if he is, I wouldn't mind looking into him.

02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Brian Boyle would be a solid addition for us, what would the Rangers want for him though? Would they be looking more at shedding salary than getting a warm body back?