HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
seabass45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Didn't Niederreiter's struggles a season ago drive home the fact that just because a player has a strong junior season the previous year, it doesn't mean he's ready to be a big contributor at the NHL level?

This isn't directed specifically at you, scott, you just happened to be the post I quoted which touched on the subject. But in general, it seems that a lot of folks instantly see a prospect put up good to great junior totals and immediately think that means he's ready to be a bonafide top six NHL forward. For the majority of cases, it doesn't work that way.

Very few players come straight out of junior and make an immediate impact, regardless of how much they "dominated" the CHL competition the previous year.
If Strome doesn't make the big club next year, Nelson has to be penciled in as 2nd line center, right? Our second line situation is a disaster and I don't see it getting any upgrades from a UFA or trade.

I think Strome makes it, in any case. Not that I agree with it, but particularly if they don't make the playoffs again, Garth will be desperate.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Didn't Niederreiter's struggles a season ago drive home the fact that just because a player has a strong junior season the previous year, it doesn't mean he's ready to be a big contributor at the NHL level?

This isn't directed specifically at you, scott, you just happened to be the post I quoted which touched on the subject. But in general, it seems that a lot of folks instantly see a prospect put up good to great junior totals and immediately think that means he's ready to be a bonafide top six NHL forward. For the majority of cases, it doesn't work that way.

Very few players come straight out of junior and make an immediate impact, regardless of how much they "dominated" the CHL competition the previous year.
I got straight A's in the 8th grade.....the next year I had my arse handed to me at Columbia Law.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
If Strome doesn't make the big club next year, Nelson has to be penciled in as 2nd line center, right? Our second line situation is a disaster and I don't see it getting any upgrades from a UFA or trade.

I think Strome makes it, in any case. Not that I agree with it, but particularly if they don't make the playoffs again, Garth will be desperate.
Oh, I think there's a very good chance Strome makes the Islanders' roster on opening night. He may even get penciled in as the 2C. I'm just not certain people should be expecting him to put up "2C numbers" and make a positive impact in his rookie season.

I think he'll go through similar growing pains that you saw guys like Kyle Turris and Sam Gagner go through to get to where they are today. His upside may end up being higher than theirs (though at the time they were drafted, Turris at least was as good a prospect then as Strome is now), but I don't think the impact will be there for the first year or two.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
scott99

Quote:

Niederreiter played 2 seasons in the CHL, Strome is finishing up his 4th. Also, Strome has one 100 point season under his belt, and possibly 2, Niederreiter never sniffed a 100 point season. Strome is a better offensive prospect than Niederreiter ever was.

Also, when you are paired with Marty Reasoner (a center who has a whopping 1 goal and 8 assists the last 79 games) and Jay Pandolfo (1 goal 2 assists 3 points in 62 games), and play 7 minutes a night, how are you expected to produce. The Isles never gave Niederreiter a chance to succeed, he was set up to fail, was never put in a position to prosper.

I can't see the Isles playing Strome anywhere below line 2 next year (If he makes the team). If they do, everyone on the Isle's staff should be fired immediately.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Oh, I think there's a very good chance Strome makes the Islanders' roster on opening night. He may even get penciled in as the 2C. I'm just not certain people should be expecting him to put up "2C numbers" and make a positive impact in his rookie season.

I think he'll go through similar growing pains that you saw guys like Kyle Turris and Sam Gagner go through to get to where they are today. His upside may end up being higher than theirs (though at the time they were drafted, Turris at least was as good a prospect then as Strome is now), but I don't think the impact will be there for the first year or two.
I don't know. If Strome makes the NHL next year he will have had 2 full OHL seasons after being drafted. That's actually unusual for a top 5 pick these days. Gagner went straight to the NHL after being drafted. Turris played in college 1 year after being drafted and then had a few games in the NHL at the end of that season before being full-time in the NHL the next year. So Strome will have 1 more year of seasoning than Turris, and 2 more than Gagner.

I'd like to see Strome start out at RW, even though his future is at C. He'd actually be a nice fit with JT, but in that case I'd rather see Martin (or Anders Lee if he signs) on LW to provide some size.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Niederreiter played 2 seasons in the CHL, Strome is finishing up his 4th. Also, Strome has one 100 point season under his belt, and possibly 2, Niederreiter never sniffed a 100 point season. Strome is a better offensive prospect than Niederreiter ever was.

Also, when you are paired with Marty Reasoner (a center who has a whopping 1 goal and 8 assists the last 79 games) and Jay Pandolfo (1 goal 2 assists 3 points in 62 games), and play 7 minutes a night, how are you expected to produce. The Isles never gave Niederreiter a chance to succeed, he was set up to fail, was never put in a position to prosper.

I can't see the Isles playing Strome anywhere below line 2 next year (If he makes the team). If they do, everyone on the Isle's staff should be fired immediately.
What kind of production are you expecting from Strome next season? And do you envision him being a positive impact in 5 on 5 play (ie. board work, defensive play, physical battles, etc.)?

I'm curious, because we might just be arguing semantics here rather than necessarily a full on disagreement over the player's readiness.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
What kind of production are you expecting from Strome next season? And do you envision him being a positive impact in 5 on 5 play (ie. board work, defensive play, physical battles, etc.)?

I'm curious, because we might just be arguing semantics here rather than necessarily a full on disagreement over the player's readiness.
I think Strome can easily put up 10 goals and 20 assists, and I'm being conservative when I say that. Depending on what line he's put on, 45+ points would not be unreasonable. I really don't think Huberdeau is THAT much better than Strome, and he's putting up excellent offensive numbers this season with a team that doesn't have a Tavares or a Moulson.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
I think Strome can easily put up 10 goals and 20 assists, and I'm being conservative when I say that. Depending on what line he's put on, 45+ points would not be unreasonable. I really don't think Huberdeau is THAT much better than Strome, and he's putting up excellent offensive numbers this season with a team that doesn't have a Tavares or a Moulson.
If we only get 30pts from our 2nd line C next year, then it's yet another lottery year, and that's assuming we upgrade the defense and nabby comes back and plays as well as this year (which hasn't been spectacular)

Aren't we better off with Tyler Bozak? seriously?

Strome's not played pro hockey yet. We're setting this guy up to fail if we're looking for him to IMPROVE the team, rather than "just make it" because Snow won't get a real centre.

And Nino's got zero goals in the last seven, 3 goals and 1 assist in the last 17 games in the AHL.

Not you scott99, but Isles fans need to get way past the expectation that "high pick" = "great player" = "better team" - just not true.

Quote:

Gagner's looked really good this year. I was hoping Snow would bring him in, assuming the Oilers would give up on him. Smart player.

Strome MIGHT prove that he can play and contribute next year, time will tell. But it's not like he's going to have Lucic, Horton or Kovy/Elias on the wings. God help us.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
duster19

Quote:
Hubredeau doesnt skate as well as Strome, but his hands are ridiculous.

I think Strome will play some AHL games this yr late in the season maybe the playoffs is BP makes it. Id be really disappointed if Nelson didnt have a look in the NHL this year. It is pretty sad he hasnt played yet this year considering Reasoner is horrendous.

Waiver Reasoner or send Aucoin down and call up Nelson

Old
03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
scott99

Why shouldn't we expect our draft picks to make the team better. For Christ's sake, these guys are being drafted in the TOP 5 ! You have other teams getting contibutions from guys drafted below the TOP 5. Nino is a 2010 draft choice, why not expect a return 2 1/2 years later (Same thing for Nelson). By the time training camp comes around, Strome will be 20 and 2 years after being drafted. being one of the TOP players in juniors the last 4 years (264 points in his 162 games), why woudn't I expect him to help make the team better. Reinhart is a D-man, I expect him to take time to mature, but after next season, I would want him to be able to help the team.

You are seeing some of the top teams use their recent draft choices expecting them to help out and produce. J.T. Miller on the Rangers (2011 1st round pick), Stefan Matteau (drafted THIS YEAR) on the Devils, you mean to tell me the talent is so good on the current Islanders, we can't use some of our prospects from the last 3 years to help us out ? Forget last season's draft, all defensemen, all need time. But guys from 2010 and 2011 should be able to help us next season.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Hubredeau doesnt skate as well as Strome, but his hands are ridiculous.

I think Strome will play some AHL games this yr late in the season maybe the playoffs is BP makes it. Id be really disappointed if Nelson didnt have a look in the NHL this year. It is pretty sad he hasnt played yet this year considering Reasoner is horrendous.

Waiver Reasoner or send Aucoin down and call up Nelson
Strome's hands are pretty ridiculous too, but he is more of a set up man than Huberdeau. Look at Theoret's production after being traded, no longer a point a game player. Look at Ritchie and Shipley, both enjoying their first 30 goal seasons, being put on Strome's line.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
duster19

Quote:
Why shouldn't we expect our draft picks to make the team better. For Christ's sake, these guys are being drafted in the TOP 5 ! You have other teams getting contibutions from guys drafted below the TOP 5. Nino is a 2010 draft choice, why not expect a return 2 1/2 years later (Same thing for Nelson). By the time training camp comes around, Strome will be 20 and 2 years after being drafted. being one of the TOP players in juniors the last 4 years (264 points in his 162 games), why woudn't I expect him to help make the team better. Reinhart is a D-man, I expect him to take time to mature, but after next season, I would want him to be able to help the team.

You are seeing some of the top teams use their recent draft choices expecting them to help out and produce. J.T. Miller on the Rangers (2011 1st round pick), Stefan Matteau (drafted THIS YEAR) on the Devils, you mean to tell me the talent is so good on the current Islanders, we can't use some of our prospects from the last 3 years to help us out ? Forget last season's draft, all defensemen, all need time. But guys from 2010 and 2011 should be able to help us next season.
Im in the same boat. Its time for some of these "prospects" to get some ice. Pretty much everyone in the top 10 from Stromes draft is playing in or given an opportunity to play in NHL. NYI, however, with our outstanding depth at C havent given him a shot. Marty Reasoner is brutal. He would be a 4th liner in BP.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
duster19

Quote:
Strome's hands are pretty ridiculous too, but he is more of a set up man than Huberdeau. Look at Theoret's production after being traded, no longer a point a game player. Look at Ritchie and Shipley, both enjoying their first 30 goal seasons, being put on Strome's line.
I dunno. Hubredeau has some serious play making ability. Hubredeau has spezza, giroux type hands...I did not see the same out of Strome. to be fair, I have not seen many OHL or Ice Dogs games, but I do get to alot of Q games, so I've watched Hubby alot.

Strome is blazing fast. You could put nobodys on his jr line and they would put up points...Hubredeau as well.

This kid Drouin has ridiculous hands to.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Im in the same boat. Its time for some of these "prospects" to get some ice. Pretty much everyone in the top 10 from Stromes draft is playing in or given an opportunity to play in NHL. NYI, however, with our outstanding depth at C havent given him a shot. Marty Reasoner is brutal. He would be a 4th liner in BP.
What's brutal, is watching Reasoner center Ullstrom & Grabner. Imagine if those guys had a REAL center ? Grabner is the fastest guy in the NHL, and Ullstrom is pretty darned fast too. Both being bogged down by playing with Marty (Gretzky) Reasoner. Either Strome or Nelson centers that line, and that line would be very dangerous.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post

If Snow cares about winning at all, he will give Nelson a look this year, so he at least has an idea for next year. If we pencil in Nelson at 2 and he bombs, then Neilsen is forced to move up and we are screwed again. Have to give Nelson a look this year.

I would think Nelson will struggle playing 2C in the NHL right away...

Old
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
duster19

Quote:
What's brutal, is watching Reasoner center Ullstrom & Grabner. Imagine if those guys had a REAL center ? Grabner is the fastest guy in the NHL, and Ullstrom is pretty darned fast too. Both being bogged down by playing with Marty (Gretzky) Reasoner. Either Strome or Nelson centers that line, and that line would be very dangerous.

He is so bad. He cant even remotely keep up. He just gets in the way, then falls down. It is sad watching this guy continue to play...

Somebody somewhere must have a C for sale.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
duster19

Quote:
Why either one hasnt got to play, I have no idea. Has to be something to do with numbers. There is no way they watch Nelson be one of the best players every game and Strome dominate JR and not see more then what Reasoner can offer. What does a 4th year of junior give Strome? He is miles above Jr hockey...

Old
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Why shouldn't we expect our draft picks to make the team better. For Christ's sake, these guys are being drafted in the TOP 5 ! You have other teams getting contibutions from guys drafted below the TOP 5.
Really? What 2011 picks at Strome's level or below are making real contributions?

Hamilton? Great. Being coddled in a 17 TOI d-man surrounded by amazing talent. Not an option for us.

Brodin? Best player from 2011 NHL draft now playing besides Landeskog. Preternatural. Mature beyond his years. Strome isn't.

Couturier? Wayne Primeau right now.

Sven Beartschi? Rushed. He'd be better off in the A right now.

Mike Zibanajed? I'd like to thing Ottawa would let him develop in the A if they had a choice. He's not ready.

Basically, the only player taken below Strome who I would want on our team making a contribution is Jonas Brodin (he's the Kenny Jonsson comparable). And, frankly, I'd be a little worried about ruining even him.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Really? What 2011 picks at Strome's level or below are making real contributions?

Hamilton? Great. Being coddled in a 17 TOI d-man surrounded by amazing talent. Not an option for us.

Brodin? Best player from 2011 NHL draft now playing besides Landeskog. Preternatural. Mature beyond his years. Strome isn't.

Couturier? Wayne Primeau right now.

Sven Beartschi? Rushed. He'd be better off in the A right now.

Mike Zibanajed? I'd like to thing Ottawa would let him develop in the A if they had a choice. He's not ready.

Basically, the only player taken below Strome who I would want on our team making a contribution is Jonas Brodin (he's the Kenny Jonsson comparable). And, frankly, I'd be a little worried about ruining even him.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Krieder has ONE goal
Matteau has ONE goal
JT Miller has TWO goals
RNH ONE
Paajarvi 3

There are exceptions but few and far between.

We can hope the Isles prospects overperform, but these guys are being asked to come to a horrible team, with little support and make the team better. Tavares has overachieved and the team isn't better.

I'm high on Strome, Nelson and Nino but even if they make the team, it's not like they're winning a job from good players. The whole second line has 5 goals all year.

And the weakest part of the team is NOT EVEN scoring. It's defense and 5on5 play and goaltending.

The level of failure in this organization is far greater than anyone in the system can fix in the next 2-3 years assuming all goes well!

Old
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
JT to Nystrom

Progress ?

Let's put aside the debatable future skillsets of the last few drafts' players that are hopefully maturing away from the NHL.

My main concern is the lack of progress with nearly all of the current roster. I'd go out on a limb and say that the only current player that has taken his game to a new level is JT. All other current players, especially those age 25 and under, should be taking their skills to the next level. Frankly, it's almost pathetic to think that there are no other players that have shown that level of improvement.

Bailey, Okposo, Hamonic (yes, him), A Mac, Martin, Grabner.... Can at least one of them have a breakout year far better than what might be expected? If you're young and not getting better, I'd argue to say that you're losing ground and not just staying the course. I put Hamonic on the list not because he is performing poorly but has he really taken his game to a new level vs. last year? Frans Nielsen is 28 years old, has a -5 rating, doesn't score and he's an untouchable in many fan's eyes. If it weren't for his shootout skills, maybe people would see him for the #3, average at best,
centerman that he is.

For my money, Snow can trade anyone except JT, Hamonic and Martin. I still hold out hope for Bailey and Grabner, but we need size and toughness. Time to cut bait and start the trade deadline rumors. Same as it ever was.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Krieder has ONE goal
Matteau has ONE goal
JT Miller has TWO goals
RNH ONE
Paajarvi 3

There are exceptions but few and far between.

We can hope the Isles prospects overperform, but these guys are being asked to come to a horrible team, with little support and make the team better. Tavares has overachieved and the team isn't better.

I'm high on Strome, Nelson and Nino but even if they make the team, it's not like they're winning a job from good players. The whole second line has 5 goals all year.

And the weakest part of the team is NOT EVEN scoring. It's defense and 5on5 play and goaltending.

The level of failure in this organization is far greater than anyone in the system can fix in the next 2-3 years assuming all goes well!
There also is several variables that go into these things. There is the heart of a player, the desire to succeed, the desire to be great. You mention a lot of negatives, but who's to say everything will be negative. What if Strome has a Jeff Skinner type of rookie season, what if Nelson has a great rookie season, what if Niederreiter mimics his hot start in the AHL ? There is no telling what an infusion of talent can do for Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, Ullstrom & Cizikas ? Add Strome, Nelson & Niederreiter to those 7, and you have a very talented top 10.

Niederreiter-Tavares-Moulson
Grabner-Strome-Ullstrom
Okposo-Nielsen-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-?

Who's to say those lines couldn't be very potent ? If Strome, Nelson and Niederreiter all have very good camps, why would you want to hold them back from achieving their dreams especially if they earned it. Let's see where the chips fall, and if they deserve it, they will make the team, and very possibly produce at a decent clip.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
The thing is, there's a difference between just playing in the NHL, and making an impact in the NHL. If Strome sticks with the Islanders, I agree your projections aren't unrealistic. But at the same time, people are penciling him in as the second line center. Do you really want a 30 point guy as your second line center?

A guy like Tyler Seguin contributed 11 goals and 22 points as a rookie ... but the key thing is that was depth scoring, playing mainly on the fourth line with the odd PP shift and the odd shift in the top six. They didn't rely on Seguin and his 22 points to be their number two center. Similarly, your examples of JT Miller and Stefan Matteau. Both guys are providing depth for their clubs, they're not their clubs' go-to guys on a scoring line.

The other key thing is, as redbull mentioned, look who those youngsters are surrounded by. Who is going to insulate Strome? Okposo? Bailey? They're also trying to find their game at the NHL level. Strome would basically have to be the main cog on his line, instead of just coming in and being allowed to be a complimentary piece while he adjusts to the NHL game.

So while I'd agree he can come in and score around 30 points with ample ice time, is he an upgrade on what is currently in the top six? Is he going to improve the bottom six's defense and physicality? IMO, he's neither next year.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
scott99

Quote:
The thing is, there's a difference between just playing in the NHL, and making an impact in the NHL. If Strome sticks with the Islanders, I agree your projections aren't unrealistic. But at the same time, people are penciling him in as the second line center. Do you really want a 30 point guy as your second line center?

A guy like Tyler Seguin contributed 11 goals and 22 points as a rookie ... but the key thing is that was depth scoring, playing mainly on the fourth line with the odd PP shift and the odd shift in the top six. They didn't rely on Seguin and his 22 points to be their number two center. Similarly, your examples of JT Miller and Stefan Matteau. Both guys are providing depth for their clubs, they're not their clubs' go-to guys on a scoring line.

The other key thing is, as redbull mentioned, look who those youngsters are surrounded by. Who is going to insulate Strome? Okposo? Bailey? They're also trying to find their game at the NHL level. Strome would basically have to be the main cog on his line, instead of just coming in and being allowed to be a complimentary piece while he adjusts to the NHL game.

So while I'd agree he can come in and score around 30 points with ample ice time, is he an upgrade on what is currently in the top six? Is he going to improve the bottom six's defense and physicality? IMO, he's neither next year.
A blind legless Strome is an upgrade over Reasoner.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
A blind legless Strome is an upgrade over Reasoner.
While that's true, I don't think it's exaggerating to suggest that the Isles' problems go far beyond Reasoner's contributions (or lack thereof). The upgrades that will make or break the Isles' success (or any club for that matter) next season are ones to the top six forward unit/top four defense corps.

Ideally, you want someone to replace Frans Nielsen as the second line center, allowing him to slot back to a more natural 3C role. At this point in time, I don't believe Strome is ready to do that. "Upgrading" on Reasoner simply means your 4th line is more productive, but you've still got a massive hole on your 2nd line.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:

When can the Islanders start counting on Tavares as a veteran influence and the 'insulation' for some of the prospects the Islanders have?
Sometimes all this talk about when a prospect is ready Vs being rushed is mind numbing. I really do not think it is a perfect science and GM's are constantly under pressure to get them to the NHL level. I do no think the decision on Strome can be made until next seasons camp and see how he looks against NHL competition. Even then I am sure a debate will ensue with the rush vs ready fans here on these boards(I can see it already if Strome sticks and gets off to a slow start the amount of time and threads that will be made here...)

Closed Thread