HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Kronwall this year...

Old
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Run the Jewels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I bet Kronwall wishes he had a better partner, also. But seriously, is it asking too much of him to handle some basic defensive assignments like covering his man? I know that he's far from a lockdown defender, but much of the time he looks a forward being asked to play the defenseman position for the first time- he's just floundering out there.
The one constant is Kronwall is on the ice for the goal against. He had two different partners for the two goals against last night. On the empty netter he was the lone d-man because he's purportedly a good offensive defenseman.

You can't blame Kronwall's defense partner because there isn't the same one each time a goal is scored. The one constant is Kronwall is on the ice for the vast majority of goals against.

He's been on the ice for 5 of the 9 goals against over the last two losses.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing as everyone else, apparently - Kronwall was Sean Averying.

He's been perfecting the "face the shooter" method of screening his own goalie, so I guess he figured it was time to move on to the next level.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wings defenseman play this poorly defensively. And I've seen Rafalski, Kuznetsov, the elderly ghost of Larry Murphy, Yves Racine, and Anders Eriksson. None of them ever looked this bad. Kronwall looks like he has absolutely no idea what he's doing. I don't get it.
I'm not sure why Kronwall wasn't given an unsportsmanlike conduct for face-screening Howard like that

Yeah, that really was a next-level way to screen your goalie. Even though the Ducks scored on the play, I really didn't care b/c I was laughing too hard watching that absolutely absurd play from Kronwall. I'll bet that I re-watched that play more times last night than I've ever re-watched any of his big hits. I honestly wonder what he can pull off to top that screening, but I think he's got something up his sleeve for Jimmy.

You know, I don't want to come out and say that Kronwall is playing epically bad defense on purpose to throw games... I'll wait for someone else to say it here and then agree with it .

Although, he is European, probably likes soccer, and there's a huge match fixing scandal going on right now in the soccer world, SOOOOOOOO...

Last edited by Brick Top: 02-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
SoupGuru

Well, you can't bench him with all the injuries we have but you can make you point by giving him 3rd pair minutes.

I was never on board with giving him the "A" either, for the record.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Kronwall is as much a legit #1 dman is as Abdelkader is a legit #1 centremen.

Kronner is set up to fail in the role he is being tasked with, with the crew that KH has assembled on purpose on the blueline

get a proper #1 dman, let kronner slide down to a more comfortable #2 spot and he will relax and his game will improve.

he is trying to do to much with too little ability

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
theYman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
Kronwall is as much a legit #1 dman is as Abdelkader is a legit #1 centremen.

Kronner is set up to fail in the role he is being tasked with, with the crew that KH has assembled on purpose on the blueline

get a proper #1 dman, let kronner slide down to a more comfortable #2 spot and he will relax and his game will improve.

he is trying to do to much with too little ability
Or even legit top 6 forward.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Another miserable performance by Kronwall and the rest of the defense. He just isn't good enough.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
RedWinger10

Kronwall..................

If there was an award for screening your own goaltender, playing awful defense, and arguably being the worst player in the league with an A on the front of their jersey Kronwall would be way in the lead right now. He's not playing with the intensity he has in the past or been a strong force on the point which were his 2 redeeming qualities. As far as his leadership goes, I would imagine it being hard to take him seriously this year seeing what a stunning minus he is this year. Do you think putting him in the press box for a few games or bumping him to 3rd pairing would get his head out of his ***? I know I'm not alone in that I am sick of seeing him be such a negative. Tell me what you think.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:17 PM
FlashyG

Thoughts on Kronwall this year

Safe to say a lot of us feel the same way.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Already have one of these halfway down the page. Kronwall needs to be better, but he has tough job right now stringing along a D group with this many problems.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:00 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Already have one of these halfway down the page. Kronwall needs to be better, but he has tough job right now stringing along a D group with this many problems.
You are only as good as your leader and Kronner is the "leader of the D" no excuse for him to be playing this badly he has been "groomed" for this roll for a couple years now.

Last edited by joe89: 02-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
I just don't understand what people are trying to get from this... what would benching Kronwall do? He's the best defenseman Detroit has, and it's not like they're swimming in useful pieces on D, they don't have a Nyquist or a Tatar that can come in and actually perform better than the other guys already on the current D.

The dude hasn't played his greatest hockey, and he's definitely not amazing defensively, but he's easily the most productive guy Detroit has. Maybe Babcock should pair him with Ericsson or White, and put Lashoff on the bench... I just don't see how Kronwall being scratched can actually improve the defense.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
I just don't understand what people are trying to get from this... what would benching Kronwall do? He's the best defenseman Detroit has, and it's not like they're swimming in useful pieces on D, they don't have a Nyquist or a Tatar that can come in and actually perform better than the other guys already on the current D.

The dude hasn't played his greatest hockey, and he's definitely not amazing defensively, but he's easily the most productive guy Detroit has. Maybe Babcock should pair him with Ericsson or White, and put Lashoff on the bench... I just don't see how Kronwall being scratched can actually improve the defense.
He played with Ericsson for at least part of tonights game and still gave up goals.
In fact he's played with pretty much every player on the team and still manages to give up goals with each of them.

He's not bad on the PP, but what good are his 3 even strength points when he's been on the ice for only 6 even strength goals for and 13 against?

I'm not sure how anyone can consider him the teams best defenceman unless you're judging him based on previous season's play. This season he has been the worst defenceman on the entire team, and one of the worst players on the entire roster.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post

He's not the best d man in my opinion. Good dmen don't screen their own goaltender leading to GA CONSTANTLY!!!!

Old
02-20-2013, 06:45 AM
LeftBackLegend

vCash: 400
Ought to get rid while there's still people around who believe he's any good.

LeftBackLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:16 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Kronwall needs to pull his head out of his ass and quit screening his own goalie.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Nordic*

Damn, he's been that bad???

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:28 AM
ScottyBowman

I don't think Kronwall was anything more than average to begin with but he got hyped up because of his hits and Ken Daniels calling him Nik Jr. I would trade Kronwall right now and get something out of him because his hype machine is starting to lose steam.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:46 AM
JPE123

I don't know who would want his contract vs his performance

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
I don't think Kronwall was anything more than average to begin with but he got hyped up because of his hits and Ken Daniels calling him Nik Jr. I would trade Kronwall right now and get something out of him because his hype machine is starting to lose steam.
Agreed. He's better than average though. I would categorize him as an offensive minded, defensively flawed 2nd pairing D-Man. But we are stuck with Kronwall Foooooooooreeevvvvvvvveeeeeer.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
sepster

The only thing that is going to help Kronwall is the Wings acquiring a true #1 Dman so Kronwall, and every other Dman on the Wings for that matter, then get slotted where they're are supposed to be.

I've been saying this all along, Kronwall is not a #1 Dman. Not on this team. Not on any NHL team. Now, you pair him with a true #1 on the top pairing or he slides down to the 2nd pairing behind a true #1 and he will be more than capable in that role. But, playing him the most minutes and calling him your #1 just by the fact that there is no better option does not make him a true #1 Dman.

Its the same situation as if you were to remove Datsyuk and Zetterberg from the lineup, play Helm and Abdelkader as your top 2 centers and then try to call them #1 and #2 centers in the league. Doesn't work that way. A player is a #1 center or a #1 Damn because of their talent and effectiveness not because of how many minutes they play.

Acquiring a true #1 is the challenge for the Wings. There are not 30 #1 Dmen in the NHL. They are an extremely valuable commodity. It would have been nice if Ken Holland had spent 4 years trying to acquire a true replacement for Lidstrom rather than wait around until the last minute, get blindsided by his retirement and then throw all of his hopes on signing Sutter. Extremely short-sighted and proving to be an extremely HUGE screw-up. Until that need is filled this defense will continue to limp along in a rather sub-par fashion.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
14ari13

Kronwall is now 2nd in points in the league among defencemen. That's very good.

In the years passed Kronwall has never been great or even good defensively and it has been pointed out many times that he needs a steady defesnive Dman. Can Lashoff be that? He is young and has played a very few NHL games, but this is what Babcock says/thinks of Lashoff:
Quote:
“Actually, I thought he was better here than in the American League, maybe because the game’s more organized. But he made good decisions. He’s a big man, he showed good hands, was great on the penalty kill — four-on-three penalty with him, Pav (Datsyuk) and (Henrik Zetterberg) on it, he did a heck of a job.” — Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock (January 2013, MLive.com) … “Outstanding. He’s just smart, he’s big. He’s big and he’s smart, so because you’re big and you’re smart and you’re competitive, you get to play lots. So good for him.” — Babcock (February 2013, MLive.com).

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Tomas W

2nd in points, at an average team. Not bad. I think we can simply label him as an offensive defenceman. Pair him up with an good stay at home d-man, and we got a good first pairing.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

Been Reading thru this thread... conclusion= Red wings fans likes to whine, moan about their players, especially the Swedes. Although in reality, they + a Russian are the ones carrying the team.

Uno Bench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Bench View Post
Been Reading thru this thread... conclusion= Red wings fans likes to whine, moan about their players, especially the Swedes. Although in reality, they + a Russian are the ones carrying the team.
Are you serious? The guy has been awful and I have been defending him.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Bench View Post
Datsyuk, Tatar and Zetterberg are the only ones carrying this team, that's only one swede. Majority of the rest are spare parts for a Ford Model T

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote