HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 08:13 AM
  #276
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Lots got into GMGM, BB and Green's head. I think they let the media get to them.

Then Hunter came in and Green was not allowed to cross center ice and our ace Dennis Wideman was the goto guy for PK and PP.

Oates has loosened the reigns on all our guys and thats good to see.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
  #277
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
I still think Green needs to be paired with a guy who can watch his back. That means Erskine or Oleksy, and Erskine is slower so he won't be able to get back and cover as well when Green pinches or gets caught up ice (the Bourque Rule is obviusly out the window, thank god).

Can't remember if this messes up Oates' handedness scheme, tho

g00n is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
  #278
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I still think Green needs to be paired with a guy who can watch his back. That means Erskine or Oleksy, and Erskine is slower so he won't be able to get back and cover as well when Green pinches or gets caught up ice (the Bourque Rule is obviusly out the window, thank god).

Can't remember if this messes up Oates' handedness scheme, tho
It wouldn't mess it up with Erskine as he is a LD.

Again I wouldn't mind that but there is concern about whether Erskine can keep up with Green's minutes.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
  #279
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
It wouldn't mess it up with Erskine as he is a LD.

Again I wouldn't mind that but there is concern about whether Erskine can keep up with Green's minutes.
Normally I would call you an idiot for suggesting Erskine see 20+ minutes, but he's taken like nine steps forward as a defenseman. To the point where I could see him playing like a Hal Gill lite in that role. Possibly.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
  #280
Lawrencejame
Registered User
 
Lawrencejame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Normally I would call you an idiot for suggesting Erskine see 20+ minutes, but he's taken like nine steps forward as a defenseman. To the point where I could see him playing like a Hal Gill lite in that role. Possibly.
Yeah, Erskine has been an amazing surprise this season. A ton of people used to bash him (not as much as Schultz, but right after him on the chopping block), but I always liked Erskine. It's really nice to see how far hes come.

Lawrencejame is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  #281
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Normally I would call you an idiot for suggesting Erskine see 20+ minutes, but he's taken like nine steps forward as a defenseman. To the point where I could see him playing like a Hal Gill lite in that role. Possibly.
Erskine is far more physical than Gill ever was but I see your point. Erskine has improved greatly and is having a great year.

I've liked him from day 1 I am not going to lie. But really he was never given a fair shake with BB and Hunter who valued guys like Schultz and Wideman strongly.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
  #282
g00n
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
I've always been in Erskine's corner and would like to see him with Green, I just worry about his speed. I don't doubt that he can handle the minutes. Green's minutes are so high partially because of the PP, during which Erskine will be on the bench, resting.

SOMEONE has to be out there at all times to protect Green

g00n is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
  #283
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Everyone loves Erskine. He's been my advitar forever. Well, almost everyone loves Erskine. George McPhee's #1 fan here doesn't much care for him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
  #284
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I've liked him from day 1 I am not going to lie. But really he was never given a fair shake with BB and Hunter who valued guys like Schultz and Wideman strongly.
I think Erskine has gotten a decent amount of chances to play 2nd pairing minutes in the past but he has failed fairly miserably at it for the most part IMO.

He has without a doubt taken huge strides forward this year though and at this point while I would still prefer someone more proven in that role ideally in the absence of someone like that he is the obvious choice.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
  #285
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Everyone loves Erskine. He's been my advitar forever. Well, almost everyone loves Erskine. George McPhee's #1 fan here doesn't much care for him.
I wouldn't say everyone. There are plenty that always want to dismiss him as a good #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I've always been in Erskine's corner and would like to see him with Green, I just worry about his speed. I don't doubt that he can handle the minutes. Green's minutes are so high partially because of the PP, during which Erskine will be on the bench, resting.

SOMEONE has to be out there at all times to protect Green
Good point about the PP time Green plays. Again I would not mind what you suggest one bit.

I've always said Green needs his "Jeff Buekeboom". Green is very comprable to Leetch actually.

Leetch broke into the league playing with a quality vet in James Patrick. But the Rags did realize he need a tougher guy so they went out and got Buekeboom and Leetch took a great step in his game.

When Buekeboom went down they didn't take long to bring in Ulf Samuelsson.

It would be nice to see the Caps do something like that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I think Erskine has gotten a decent amount of chances to play 2nd pairing minutes in the past but he has failed fairly miserably at it for the most part IMO.

He has without a doubt taken huge strides forward this year though and at this point while I would still prefer someone more proven in that role ideally in the absence of someone like that he is the obvious choice.
We agree on the last part of what you said.

The first part I wouldn't say he failed miserably. He definitely had his good moments but never had the leash guys like Shamo, Jurcina, Pothier or Schultz did. It would usually be Green/Poti and some combination of 2 of those 4 scrubs as the top 4.

For me it was blasphemy that Corvo got time over him in the Montreal series. The excuse made was that they worried about his foot speed vs a quick team. I felt then it was absurd mainly b/c he more than makes up for it with his ornery play.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
  #286
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Everyone loves Erskine. He's been my advitar forever. Well, almost everyone loves Erskine. George McPhee's #1 fan here doesn't much care for him.



CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
  #287
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Another strong game from 52 all around.

Sniped a sweet GW shot and made Skinner look the fool.

Green takes one stride and he is sprung forward 20 feet ahead on opposing player. Sick stickhandling continues to be sick.

Thread title needs to be changed from "Hator" to "Rational Observer" to "Fanboy".

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  #288
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Green looks healthy and his offense is locked in. Is this the year (sixth time's the charm) he brings offense to the postseason?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:06 AM
  #289
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,328
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Green looks healthy and his offense is locked in. Is this the year (sixth time's the charm) he brings offense to the postseason?
Maybe, but at least this year he looks ready to bring defense to the postseason.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  #290
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Maybe, but at least this year he looks ready to bring defense to the postseason.
I could have swore he did that last season. Him and Hammer were our best D pairing along with Carlzner.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
  #291
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Green looks healthy and his offense is locked in. Is this the year (sixth time's the charm) he brings offense to the postseason?
I love how Green is playing in pretty much every aspect of the game these days but I just can't bring myself to expect, or even hope for that matter, Mr. Glass to be able to keep this up for long in the playoffs.

If the Caps do make it in there won't be a bigger target on anyone in the league's back than the one that will be on Green.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
  #292
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I love how Green is playing in pretty much every aspect of the game these days but I just can't bring myself to expect, or even hope for that matter, Mr. Glass to be able to keep this up for long in the playoffs.

If the Caps do make it in there won't be a bigger target on anyone in the league's back than the one that will be on Green.
Ditto. Green is playing as well defensively as he did in 2010 and he's scoring like it's 2009 (granted the sample size is TINY).

He's gotta find a way to play through the shots in the playoffs. Ever since freaking John Stevens figured out how to shut him down, he hasn't been able to.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
  #293
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Green was very durable in his first 4 seasons. Just some tough break injuries the last couple. Hopefully he is over them.

We have more Dmen to contend with now so it will be hard to focus on Green as much in the playoffs.

Again I believe in him. Others not so much. At 27 he is just entering the begining of his "i figured things out" role when it comes to Dmen development.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
  #294
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,422
vCash: 50
In a blowout playoff game perhaps, Green would be well served to just take a simple 2 for CC and crunch someone on a mission to destroy him right in the chest.

Green mega offense went to mega defense and is now finding that happy medium. Oates has given him the simple easy to follow directive shoot by the dot - I think that coincides with his recent hot run. It's like Oates is pure genius. Hockey grade genius, of course, following the KISS acronym.

Keep it simple stupid

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:07 AM
  #295
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
'Hopefully' he's over them. Rationally, it's crazy to expect that he is. I'm swooning as hard as anyone over his recent play, but cooler heads have to prevail (not that they will). This is the best thing that could have happened for his trade value. Swindle Feaster or someone into thinking he's gotten past his groin problem. In the past he was injury prone but suffered a bunch of different injuries. Now he has an underlying issue that I see no reason to believe is just healed now.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
  #296
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
'Hopefully' he's over them. Rationally, it's crazy to expect that he is. I'm swooning as hard as anyone over his recent play, but cooler heads have to prevail (not that they will). This is the best thing that could have happened for his trade value. Swindle Feaster or someone into thinking he's gotten past his groin problem. In the past he was injury prone but suffered a bunch of different injuries. Now he has an underlying issue that I see no reason to believe is just healed now.
Again Liberation...if you were Shero you'd probably be in favor of moving Crosby as well?

If you were Poile you would have been in favor of moving Tinordi?

If you were Bruce Allen would you trade RGIII b/c of his knee injuries?

Why would you possibly think a groin injury is career ending?? Plenty of players have had them and while it can take time to get over them they do eventually.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  #297
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,805
vCash: 500
Brian Sutherby would argue that a groin injury is career ending.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
  #298
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Brian Sutherby would argue that a groin injury is career ending.
Eric Lindros would argue concussions are career ending. Trade Crosby.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
  #299
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Again Liberation...if you were Shero you'd probably be in favor of moving Crosby as well?

If you were Poile you would have been in favor of moving Tinordi?

If you were Bruce Allen would you trade RGIII b/c of his knee injuries?

Why would you possibly think a groin injury is career ending?? Plenty of players have had them and while it can take time to get over them they do eventually.
Can you name some skill players who came back from a serious groin injury? Gaborik and Briere are all I'm coming up with. And I'd argue that they came back weakened.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  #300
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Can you name some skill players who came back from a serious groin injury? Gaborik and Briere are all I'm coming up with. And I'd argue that they came back weakened.
Also Gaborik had surgery on a hip injury that had caused his groin issues. Green had surgery to fix a sports hernia that was supposedly similarly responsible, and his groin is still screwed up.

We covered the Crosby thing already. For one thing, trading him probably is a good idea. Second, the injuries are not similar and Green's is more predictable. Moreover, Crosby and Green are not comparable. A comparable situation would be Ovechkin injured circa 2009.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.