HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Old
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Gary Roberts had a serious neck injury and came back and was a fine player.

Dino Ciccarelli shattered his leg in a million pieces and played in the NHL for many years at a high level.

Serious injuries happen. Other injuries happen. Players come back from them especially when they are young like Green.

I guess the Hators are slowly but surely running out of excuses to justify their initial angle.

He sucks at D! He doesn't play good in the playoffs! He can't score anymore! He's not worth his contract! He'll never return from injury!

That haterade must be tasting awfully sour these days eh?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Dino Ciccarelli shattered his leg in a million pieces and played in the NHL for many years at a high level.

Serious injuries happen. Other injuries happen. Players come back from them especially when they are young like Green.

I guess the Hators are slowly but surely running out of excuses to justify their initial angle.

He sucks at D! He doesn't play good in the playoffs! He can't score anymore! He's not worth his contract! He'll never return from injury!

So you can't name anyone who came back from a serious groin injury?

Yeah people come back from broken bones and what not, but the groin is kind of important for skating.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Yeah people come back from broken bones and what not, but the groin is kind of important for skating.
Brian Gionta, Kari Lehtonen, Varlamov off the top of my head

Old
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Brian Gionta, Kari Lehtonen, Varlamov off the top of my head
Lehtonen and Varly aren't skaters. And neither required surgery. Gionta is on pace for a 20 goal season following his surgery.

Edit: Gionta didn't have surgery either.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 04-12-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
BobRouse

http://www.udel.edu/PT/PT%20Clinical...c05/Irshad.pdf

Here is an article I ran across. Chances are good and I would say even better at his age.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:

D00d I'm not remotely a hater. If anything I've been the opposite; the Hators tended to drive me towards irrationally pro-Green attitudes. I'm inclined to think Green's ruined groin is only half his fault, anyway, given the organization's horrible track record with them, but it is what it is now.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
D00d I'm not remotely a hater. If anything I've been the opposite; the Hators tended to drive me towards irrationally pro-Green attitudes. I'm inclined to think Green's ruined groin is only half his fault, anyway, given the organization's horrible track record with them, but it is what it is now.
Sorry. I've labeled you as a Hator. You have a long way to go to climb out of that hole now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haterade_movement.jpg‎ (34.9 KB, 6 views)

Old
04-17-2013, 06:16 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:

I can!!! Martin Havlat. Had a strong year in Chicago after years of agonizing groin injury riddled seasons. He attributed his health (at the time) to lots of stretches during warm ups... something he didn't do enough. See, stretching is important. He also did more stretches at home.

He had responded with 77 points in 81 games. He backed it up with 3 seasons of averaging 75 games.

I hope Green stays in Wash. When he's on and healthy, he's the best fourth forward in the league!

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

Quote:

Kris Versteeg and Michael del Zotto both had sports hernia surgeries in early 2011, then had career years in points in 2011-12.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Kris Versteeg and Michael del Zotto both had sports hernia surgeries in early 2011, then had career years in points in 2011-12.
This is good to know; I did not know that. The points and the skating are encouraging. The injury history (shoulder and head too) are still scary though.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:50 AM
BobRouse

Well for certain the injury doesn't look to be affecting him in any way shape or form right now.

Some nice nice passes last game too. I believe the latest complaint on Green was that he sucked at passing (this after he started scoring and the Hators had to come up with a new angle)

Those stretch passes are great and he got that other one right in Ovie's wheelhouse.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

2nd leading goal scorer in the NHL over the past month....2nd to Ovy.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:23 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

His late game gaffe and a presumed chat with 'sie afterwards seemed to turn his game around

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before.... something something

Ovi knows after his feeble attempts to weasel his way back to LW.

You wanna be a LW, you wanna be a LW, huh? Here, have Beagle and Crabb for dinner

Si' just told Green to go shoot the puck just don't go below the dot. Simple enough to ease the mind of any hockey player. Stop thinking, start playing.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
His late game gaffe and a presumed chat with 'sie afterwards seemed to turn his game around

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before.... something something

Ovi knows after his feeble attempts to weasel his way back to LW.

You wanna be a LW, you wanna be a LW, huh? Here, have Beagle and Crabb for dinner

Si' just told Green to go shoot the puck just don't go below the dot. Simple enough to ease the mind of any hockey player. Stop thinking, start playing.
There have been a couple of times where I've seen Green want to stick handle below the dot, then dump it off as he hits the circle. Almost like a dog with an electric fence. I want to go further, but if I do...

In all seriousness, Green's been fantastic. Really enjoying watching him when his game is on.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
There have been a couple of times where I've seen Green want to stick handle below the dot, then dump it off as he hits the circle. Almost like a dog with an electric fence. I want to go further, but if I do...

In all seriousness, Green's been fantastic. Really enjoying watching him when his game is on.
I too didn't like the directive at first but its real hard to doubt it now. Maybe goalies are consciously thinking about it as he drives down the wing. He is not going to go below the ... crap he scored over my shoulder while I was thinking.

Hockey is such a simple sport, players sometimes just need simple directives to get back on track. Just basic guidance. Bruce begging for offense go end to end! Dale ignoring him wondering why he never tries to score anymore. Neither could crack the code. Dude its 0000.

Adam Oates the man in the middle comes through in a huge way if he has him looking to score again, si' behind this recent run.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:36 AM
BobRouse

After I read the story where he bought everyone's drinks at a bar during the lockout I liked the guy even more.

Looks like a dominant player to me.

Any arguments persisiting RE: Trading him?? If so speak your mind now.

Quote:
Mike Green has a pretty terrible slapshot if that's what you're referencing. We shouldn't expect him to get it off or score from it. He has a world class wrist shot but everyone knows it and they guard the backdoor. He doesn't shoot more because he's bad at it AND he hasn't bothered to improve at it.
Could a post have any more FAIL in it?

Green launching BOMBS all month.

Sorry to single you out Brooklyn. There were plenty of FAIL to go around but for some reason I decided to choose you.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-29-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 07:59 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

If there is ever a time to sell, it's on a high.

Let's see if he can physically withstand the playoffs and re-evaluate. No reason to over value a one month hot streak / hot PP, and ignore the games that matter most.

Personally forced to choose now, I would hold him. Carlson hasn't shown me enough in the regular season to be the leader on that right side.

I want to see him play a physical game this loffs, and survive. If he can, all the pieces are coming together him to once again be a top Norris candidate.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 08:05 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Could a post have any more FAIL in it?

Green launching BOMBS all month.

Sorry to single you out Brooklyn. There were plenty of FAIL to go around but for some reason I decided to choose you.
Do you have anything substantive to say about the quality of his slapshot? Green scoring a half dozen goals with his wrister (which I described as world class) doesn't really address my criticism.

Looking forward to seeing Green live up to his potential in the postseason.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:06 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
If there is every a time to sell, it's on a high.

Let's see if he can physically withstand the playoffs and re-evaluate. No reason to over value a one month hot streak / hot PP, and ignore the games that matter most.

Personally forced to choose now, I would hold him. Carlson hasn't show me enough in the regular season to be the leader on that right side.

I want to see him play a physical game this loffs, and survive. If he can, all the pieces are coming together him to once again be a top Norris candidate.
I still think he needs a more physical imposing D partner as opposed to #27. We'll see how it goes.

Rangers will be targetting him for sure.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:08 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Do you have anything substantive to say about the quality of his slapshot? Green scoring a half dozen goals with his wrister (which I described as world class) doesn't really address my criticism.

Looking forward to seeing Green live up to his potential in the postseason.
He's been hammering slapshots for the last month. They are accurate and heavy.

He just got his confidence back to let them rip.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
I still think he needs a more physical imposing D partner as opposed to #27. We'll see how it goes.

Rangers will be targetting him for sure.
Alzner has slowly been adding a bit more hitting. He tried to take a little run at Chara recently. A tall order. But Green has shown the ability to throw monster hits and is presumed much better at it than Alzner.

Green needs to be the leader of his pairing, and our entire defense. While traditional roles dictate as the offensive guy, he won't hit as much. But I think he needs to hit, or will be hit; go ahead and set a tone early in the series. I think its better for him to be proactive, assuming he is currently physically fit to do so.

He seems to only throw hits after Nick gets hit, and Ovi goes into destroyer mode. Green gets on board.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Alzner has slowly been adding a bit more hitting. .
Its funny b/c you mentioned this a few weeks back and since I've been focusing on it and have come to find you are right. He indeed has been physical especially at our blue line. Before I was looking for it exclusively below the dots but thats not where he seems to like to finish hits.

Our whole team has been ornery especially the D. Lots of scrums around Neuvirth and Holtby that last couple weeks.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Its funny b/c you mentioned this a few weeks back and since I've been focusing on it and have come to find you are right. He indeed has been physical especially at our blue line. Before I was looking for it exclusively below the dots but thats not where he seems to like to finish hits.

Our whole team has been ornery especially the D. Lots of scrums around Neuvirth and Holtby that last couple weeks.
I seem to remember him throwing a big hit in open ice a few weeks ago, along the boards. When Neil ran Nick recently, Alzner was the first to give him the we saw that nudge long after the puck was gone.

Its almost time to bump that toughness thread. We have clearly ramped up the no fun to play against factor. I want the ranges to feel the wrath.

I think it was Erskine that led the change towards toughness on D. Oleksy said he deserves a letter. I assume he meant a big ole E.

Erskinator!

Old
04-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Kegger

He must have FINALLY found a replacement stick that works!

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:11 AM
txpd

so, green finishes the season leading the nhl defensemen in goal scoring after missing 20% of the games. looks like his game is back. time to sell high. trade him.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote