HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Old
03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He doesn't play horrid defense. Last night was just a bad game. While he's not putting up the points he used to, his transition game is still excellent.

Stop fooling yourself with the hyperbole. There are probably a dozen teams in the league, at least, that would take a chance on giving up assets for him.

Someone took on Scott freaking Gomez. Someone will take on Green.
His transition game is not excellent IMO......when he has time and space he is good skating it out of the zone......his decisions with the puck are suspect. Teams make a point to pressure him for a specific reason....it works, and if they dont he can be effective. Mike Green has never proved he can handle this......even when the team was high-flying, when the playoffs started and teams game planned for the series by attacking 52....putting pressure on him at all times....and it worked.

Many people have talked about the league figuring out 8......to me the league has figured out 52, or at least how to play against him. To this point he has yet to steadily deal with it....so I expect teams to play against him the same way until he figures it out.

The play last night where he just totally coughed it up......these slick little stick handle moves that he does as the last defender or in similar situations....its that kind of play that drives me nuts. Even when he doesnt cough it up he does it at times where, if he does, it a glorious scoring chance against....I feel its that kind of play that some people fall in love with and talk about how he is in some class by himself because of his "skill"......he needs more brains.....just about everytime he tries to beat a guy one-on-one its the wrong play....regardless how cool it looks.

Im sure he has value, but I question what that is.....I cant think its very much

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Gonchar's play was earning him several unsavory nicknames and not many were sad to see him go. If you think Green's gaffe last night was bad how about the game 6 OT vs the Pens back in 01 I believe? Gonchar was no defensive stalwart by any means.
Linden should have played the puck up the boards...it was the play to make. Instead the savvy vet brought in at the deadline played it to a young in the middle(ish) of the ice....telegraphed it so a player was headed to Gonchar already....yea, he fumbled the puck.....but he should never had had it passed to him at that point.

Green tried a stupid little slick stickhandle move with a guy on him while standing by the net.....something he just does

When its all said and done....looking back at the careers of 55 ad 52....55 will be viewed as the much better player IMO

Old
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we're too hard on Green as Caps fans. If you hear any teammate talking about his value, they've all said in some fashion or another that he's so important that he makes the Caps a completely different (in a good way) team when he's in the lineup vs. out.

He's got a skillset that's extremely valuable. He's never had a really good D mentor to learn from...IMO that's the biggest issue with his development plan.

That said, since he's come back (twice) this year from injuries, I suspect he's still not 100%. It's very apparent his mobility isn't as good as it was in the past when he's pressed either trying to escape a forchecker, or even more apparent when he's chasing someone. It looks like he's afraid to skate his hardest.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Mothra

Quote:

I think Green is a damn good hockey player. I also think that he needs a real top 4 physical dman to play opposite him to get the most out of him.

Look at Duncan Keith. Who plays opposite him? Then look at Green's tenure here and who he's been partenered with.

The criticism should be pointed at the front office for not getting the appropriate complimentary piece in place.
So if im following....you feel he is a damn good hockey player, just not good enough to be productive without another damn good hockey player next to him?

I realize good players playing with other good players makes them better (or more productive) but a damn good hockey player shouldnt have to rely on that to be productive

Old
03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I think we're too hard on Green as Caps fans. If you hear any teammate talking about his value, they've all said in some fashion or another that he's so important that he makes the Caps a completely different (in a good way) team when he's in the lineup vs. out.

He's got a skillset that's extremely valuable. He's never had a really good D mentor to learn from...IMO that's the biggest issue with his development plan.

That said, since he's come back (twice) this year from injuries, I suspect he's still not 100%. It's very apparent his mobility isn't as good as it was in the past when he's pressed either trying to escape a forchecker, or even more apparent when he's chasing someone. It looks like he's afraid to skate his hardest.
Im curious....at what point will it ever be on Green?

Fans too hard on him
Doenst have/hasnt had an anchor D partner
Injured
Injured again
Afraid to skate hard

Is any of this on 52?

Old
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
So if im following....you feel he is a damn good hockey player, just not good enough to be productive without another damn good hockey player next to him?

I realize good players playing with other good players makes them better (or more productive) but a damn good hockey player shouldnt have to rely on that to be productive
Green has been very productive over the course of his career while playing with scrubs like Shamo and 55.

Brian Leech had his best years opposite Jeff Buekeboom. Was he a productive player without him? Sure. But he was not nearly the same player without him.

Duncan Keith would not have won the Norris playing with Shamo or 55.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Green has been very productive over the course of his career while playing with scrubs like Shamo and 55.

Brian Leech had his best years opposite Jeff Buekeboom. Was he a productive player without him? Sure. But he was not nearly the same player without him.

Duncan Keith would not have won the Norris playing with Shamo or 55.
its been years since 52 was "very productive".....and when he was it wasnt when it counts. You can credit Beukeboom all you want.....NYR doesnt win the Cup without #2......who was insane during that run.

This really looks like you shifting any responsibility from 52 to GMGM to fit your agenda......52 is the guy on the ice (well once in a while anyway)....The idea that 52 would be a Leetch type player with a better partner is nuts IMO.....Leetch would have been great regardless of partner. They certainly helped him (and the team) by getting him paired together but the notion of...poor Mike Green never had the perfect player to play alongside doesnt fly with me....if he were great he would be great, to some degree

Old
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Hockey players are supposed to be tough. Hockey fans can be tough, too. Hockey players are supposed to be tougher.

Never, EVER blame the fans because they boo or whoop or whatever. They do not make saves, they do not score goals, they do not get rings, they do not make millions and date supermodels (much). PLAYERS do those things. They, and only they, are responsible for what happens on the ice. Just like you, and not the Caps team that crapped out the night before, are responsible for screwing up your TPS report.

You can talk about momentum during a game and creating disruptions with noise, but once you start blaming fans for things only controlled by the players you're setting the stage for further disappointment and scapegoating.

Even 8 year old kids know about "sticks and stones".

Look at basketball players trying to make clutch free throws with all that craziness going on behind the basket. And hockey players and management are going to blame fans whooping when someone touches a puck?

Come on. Sack up.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

Fans too hard on him
Injured
Injured again
Afraid to skate hard

Is any of this on 52?
$6 million player requires $5 million player to perform his job. I love it.

He's played with plenty of talent on the pp recently. Why does he only have 17 pp points in his last 101 games? Coaching, I bet, is the excuse.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Atlas

Mothra is correct.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

He's played with plenty of talent on the pp recently. Why does he only have 17 pp points in his last 101 games? Coaching, I bet, is the excuse.
No... He's just Number 2's Secretary.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Lawrencejame

Quote:

Thats actually not a fair assessment of the his pp points. If you could find how many pp's hes played on during those 101 games and his point production on that. Then that would be a better stat to use. For example, yesterday was his first time being on the PP since he came back.

Green is really talented, but the caps needs more then just a talented defense man. They need someone thats talented and TOUGH, which is really hard to come by these days (what a Shea Weber, Chara, Byuflien would do for this team..oh my).

So, can they replace Green? You could make the case that hes been gone for so long theres nothing to replace, but Green's "prime-capability" (for lack of a better term) is something that this team desperately needs. If he ever can get to that, what he used to be even, this team would be so incredibly better.

Lawrencejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:31 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Mike Green has 17 points in his most recent 386:40 of pp time. Defend that.

I'd rather sign Scuderi for $5 million and watch him put up 12 points a season than watch Green score 12 in 30 games.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
its been years since 52 was "very productive".....and when he was it wasnt when it counts. You can credit Beukeboom all you want.....NYR doesnt win the Cup without #2......who was insane during that run.

This really looks like you shifting any responsibility from 52 to GMGM to fit your agenda......52 is the guy on the ice (well once in a while anyway)....The idea that 52 would be a Leetch type player with a better partner is nuts IMO.....Leetch would have been great regardless of partner. They certainly helped him (and the team) by getting him paired together but the notion of...poor Mike Green never had the perfect player to play alongside doesnt fly with me....if he were great he would be great, to some degree
Who ever said anything about the perfect player? I said the right player.

You don't believe in having physical dmen. Fine. I think they are important especially when you have a unique dman like Green.

In the day we always had a Stevens or Tinordi who would bring the PAIN and play on the top pairing. Guys like Murphy, Gonchar and Calle Jo all benefited from it. Keith benefits from Seabrook. Leetch with Buekeboom and then somewhat with Samuelsson.

Its not a secret. Its a proven formula used by many teams from past to present.

I think Green's limits haven't been reached b/c he is asked to do too much.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Green's limits have been reached because he thinks this is the NBA.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Hockey players are supposed to be tough.

Come on. Sack up.
Sure it's easy to say. Imagine if every time you typed on your keyboard at work, all your customers collectively yelled WUSS. Yes, you are a well compensated employee. A professional.

So there is no chance, none, that it would ever effect your performance? How do you know. Would you resign, or maybe you boss would transfer you. I bet you'd like that.

Don't put your _______ on a pedestal. Players are humans and we don't have the faintest idea of how our own human brain works, let alone someone else's. I think a few of our current players may benefit to talk to someone about the mental side of the game.

Ironically, could I not ask you to "sack up", and merely accept that posters here are able to speak their minds as freely as you?

It's short sighted to be able to claim to know what is in someone else's mind.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Gonchar has always been a special kind of player. The kind of player that took a vicious knee to knee from OV and then came back to win the Cup a few weeks later.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind if that was Green he would have cried and packed it upfor the rest of the postseason?
He would try hard to come back, but he would either get re-injured or be playing injured and be ineffective.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Who ever said anything about the perfect player? I said the right player.

You don't believe in having physical dmen. Fine. I think they are important especially when you have a unique dman like Green.

In the day we always had a Stevens or Tinordi who would bring the PAIN and play on the top pairing. Guys like Murphy, Gonchar and Calle Jo all benefited from it. Keith benefits from Seabrook. Leetch with Buekeboom and then somewhat with Samuelsson.

Its not a secret. Its a proven formula used by many teams from past to present.

I think Green's limits haven't been reached b/c he is asked to do too much.
why on earth would you say I dont believe in having physical dmen?

Green is not actually that unique.....in space he is slick with the puck, what is so unique about that? His production a few years back was at a high level....and you could say his style was somewhat unique, but in the end it hasnt proven to be that unique. He appears to be much more an Ozolnish type guy and not the Leetch type of player we hopes he would become. One dimensional hockey players arent that unique IMO.....and thats what he is. Give him space and he looks good....pressure him and he tends cracks.....which again, is why teams go at him.....it works!

Old
03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Fans too hard on him
Injured
Injured again
Afraid to skate hard

Is any of this on 52?
Don't take my post as absolving Green of this, I was simply pointing out that the fans are often too critical when by all appearances, anyone "in the game" sings a different song with regards to Green when you hear him discussed.

Seems like you think he's just a bad player and will never develop even in a healthy environment. I think that's far from a foregone conclusion.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Are the coaches telling him NOT to shoot? If it's such a big deal (as even I have pointed out in games where he seemingly refuses to shoot, while a guy like SteveO can get his shot off at will), why HASN'T the current coaching staff addressed it? Are you suggesting they have and he simply refuses?

Again, not making excuses for Green, more along the lines of shedding light on a franchise that's run poorly.

I bet if you lined up Jeff Schultz with Drew Doughty, you would probably see a dropoff for DD.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Sure it's easy to say. Imagine if every time you typed on your keyboard at work, all your customers collectively yelled WUSS. Yes, you are a well compensated employee. A professional.

So there is no chance, none, that it would ever effect your performance? How do you know. Would you resign, or maybe you boss would transfer you. I bet you'd like that.

Don't put your _______ on a pedestal. Players are humans and we don't have the faintest idea of how our own human brain works, let alone someone else's. I think a few of our current players may benefit to talk to someone about the mental side of the game.

Ironically, could I not ask you to "sack up", and merely accept that posters here are able to speak their minds as freely as you?

It's short sighted to be able to claim to know what is in someone else's mind.

No it's not. It's psychology and neuroscience. We DO know how a lot of the brain works. I suggest you study it if you think sports psychology is a total mystery, or even advocates anything you're saying. The opposite is true.

To succeed in professional sports, you have to toughen yourself against the negatives and focus your attention in the right places. You need selective memory and selective hearing. You have to be able to handle slumps and criticism. Otherwise you're just an emotional pincushion in a tornado of needles.

Any pro athlete who's worth a **** will tell you this. Hell, there are probably college and semi-pros here who will tell you. Anyone who's played a sport at a high enough level in front of people can tell you.

Functionally, there's a huge difference between being a highly paid professional athlete going through reactive athletic maneuvers in a stadium full of people versus a deskjockey performing tasks that require lower levels of stimulation/adrenaline and higher levels of cognitive concentration. The tasks being performed are not the same, and don't involve the same areas of the brain, nor are the expectations and compensation the same.

Additionally, the overall din of an arena or stadium is background noise similar to any other noisy work environment in diffusion of individual sounds, like a construction site or airport terminal. You wouldn't get much desk work done on a construction site or tarmac, either, and it's not because of sensitivity to insult. It's because the tasks are very different and the environment matters to those tasks.

If you're happy with professional hockey players who get weepy when fans yell things at them, you will be crying in your own beer every spring.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
why on earth would you say I dont believe in having physical dmen?

Green is not actually that unique.....in space he is slick with the puck, what is so unique about that? His production a few years back was at a high level....and you could say his style was somewhat unique, but in the end it hasnt proven to be that unique. He appears to be much more an Ozolnish type guy and not the Leetch type of player we hopes he would become. One dimensional hockey players arent that unique IMO.....and thats what he is. Give him space and he looks good....pressure him and he tends cracks.....which again, is why teams go at him.....it works!

I love it...Green has a few incredible offensive years and you say he's "not that unique", and "somewhat unique". It's easier to have people accept your position in a debate when you at least APPEAR to be somewhat unbiased. You come across as a Green basher by simply dismissing his best seasons so casually and focusing on his worst with fine tuned precision.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Are the coaches telling him NOT to shoot? If it's such a big deal (as even I have pointed out in games where he seemingly refuses to shoot, while a guy like SteveO can get his shot off at will), why HASN'T the current coaching staff addressed it? Are you suggesting they have and he simply refuses?.
Mike Green has a pretty terrible slapshot if that's what you're referencing. We shouldn't expect him to get it off or score from it. He has a world class wrist shot but everyone knows it and they guard the backdoor. He doesn't shoot more because he's bad at it AND he hasn't bothered to improve at it.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates

Quote:
Are the coaches telling him NOT to shoot? If it's such a big deal (as even I have pointed out in games where he seemingly refuses to shoot, while a guy like SteveO can get his shot off at will), why HASN'T the current coaching staff addressed it? Are you suggesting they have and he simply refuses?

Again, not making excuses for Green, more along the lines of shedding light on a franchise that's run poorly.

I bet if you lined up Jeff Schultz with Drew Doughty, you would probably see a dropoff for DD.

Maybe this is neither here nor there, but in the article I posted a fwe pages back about Oates putting in the Bourque Rule for Green, it was mentioned that he wasn't supposed to come in beyond the tops of the circles.

There were a few plays last night where Green clearly pulled up and missed a chance at a GOOD shot in a high scoring area, or just forced a flip of the puck toward a covered teammate, seemingly because he was trying to adhere to this rule.

This is not Mike Green's value, imo. It seems like a waste of his abilities.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
No it's not. It's psychology and neuroscience. We DO know how a lot of the brain works. I suggest you study it if you think sports psychology is a total mystery, or even advocates anything you're saying. The opposite is true.

To succeed in professional sports, you have to toughen yourself against the negatives and focus your attention in the right places. You need selective memory and selective hearing. You have to be able to handle slumps and criticism. Otherwise you're just an emotional pincushion in a tornado of needles.

Any pro athlete who's worth a **** will tell you this. Hell, there are probably college and semi-pros here who will tell you. Anyone who's played a sport at a high enough level in front of people can tell you.

Functionally, there's a huge difference between being a highly paid professional athlete going through reactive athletic maneuvers in a stadium full of people versus a deskjockey performing tasks that require lower levels of stimulation/adrenaline and higher levels of cognitive concentration. The tasks being performed are not the same, and don't involve the same areas of the brain, nor are the expectations and compensation the same.

Additionally, the overall din of an arena or stadium is background noise similar to any other noisy work environment in diffusion of individual sounds, like a construction site or airport terminal. You wouldn't get much desk work done on a construction site or tarmac, either, and it's not because of sensitivity to insult. It's because the tasks are very different and the environment matters to those tasks.

If you're happy with professional hockey players who get weepy when fans yell things at them, you will be crying in your own beer every spring.
Nothing like oversimplifying the human psyche....

Medicine after all is NOT an exact science. Your "sack up" approach might fit for some people, but for others it would probably fail miserably.