HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:40 AM
booyakasha
rated R superstar!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I think we can both agree that this division sucks
hmmm and vancouver keeps chuggin along....hopefully when Kesler comes back, ,it knocks the good thing they have going outta whack

booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:44 AM
JetsOilersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Shocking that the fact we have several vets who are greatly under performing get a free pass.

It's not all on Tambo. At the end of the day, the players need to do what they're paid to do, and a lot aren't right now.
ohhhh, here we go again. Lets blame Tambo, and in three years, after you fired him HIS players are dominating and we're in the playoffs, you'll give all the credit to 'the guy that replaced Tambo"

SB - you're right (which is why I quoted you). The vets aren't performing and the young ones are struggling right now (especially RNH) but they'll turn it around, I'm not worried.

WHat I am worried about is how many fans failed to realize that KEVIN LOWE drafted poorly and traded away other picks to get players like Pronger, Samsonov, etc to get us to a final but they they all left, no draft picks, f'd up on the picks we did have (still scratching my head on the 'Alex Plante' / 'Riley Nash' draft, what a waste of two picks that was) so yeah, we then hire Tambo with a BARE cupboard and then force him to sign Nikki Khab.

Guys, it takes TIME for PLAYERS to develop (like Sam Gagner). They have been playing Hockey in their age group and dominating / starring their whole lives, then all of a sudden they're thrust in way way way over their heads.

To put it in perspective, go ahead and take any 12 year old kid and shove him into the CHL - and don't give me any 'that's not the same' - YES IT IS. These 'kids' are playing against MEN - professional atheletes, let me spell that - P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L athletes who have been training for 15 to 25 years vs a KID like Hopkins who has been training for only 8 or 9 years. Pro's whose bodies are FULLY matured - you take a 200 lb 18 year old KID and put them up against a 30 year old 200lb MAN - you'd be surprised how much stronger that 30 year old is even though the weight is the same.

Bottom line is this - this team is still two to three years out. It took Kevin Lowe 5 years to destroy this team, it will take Tambo (or anyone else for that matter) 10 years to rebuild it. Not, not 4, not 6. We're definitely going the right direction, our farm team (yes we have one - remember in Lowe's heyday we didn't have a farm team, though that was ownership not KLowe) is getting much stronger, our young players are starting (Gagne now as mentioned, Hall/Ebs will be following suit soon, RNH is still a few years away I'm afraid he needs to get a lot stronger) and our DMen are developing (Klefbom - though hurt now, Marincin, Musil, Gernat).

I'm not worried, I'm patient, and excited, cause I know we're getting there. I think Tambo is doing fine, sure he's made mistakes, but so does everyone else. He hasn't made any doozies and the last thing I want is some thirty five + something signed to a ridiculous contract.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:44 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
hmmm and vancouver keeps chuggin along....hopefully when Kesler comes back, ,it knocks the good thing they have going outta whack
It's looking like another title for them

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
The annoying thing is Vancouver seems to be rolling by default. They're not overwhelming teams or beating them down. They're getting good goaltending and just enough goals every night.

Somebody mentioned it in another thread but Henrik Sedin doesn't even have a goal yet and neither brother is setting the world on fire statistically.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's looking like another title for them
By default.

The division just likes to setup the Canucks for a false sense of security so they can take it in the chin in the first round from whatever team they happen to face.

edit, lol at simultaneous "default" posts.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:52 AM
booyakasha
rated R superstar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The annoying thing is Vancouver seems to be rolling by default. They're not overwhelming teams or beating them down. They're getting good goaltending and just enough goals every night.

Somebody mentioned it in another thread but Henrik Sedin doesn't even have a goal yet.
I remember when not so long ago they were the "young, up and coming team to look out for" and were severely underwhelming.....until midway through the season they had a complete stinker, at which point something happened and they went on a tear,...and haven't looked back since.( I believe it was when Crawford bag skated them outside on a pond in the freezing cold)

booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Spartan117

Oilers should have gone for Carlyle or Boudreau when they had the chance. But overall, I'd say its time to part with all the old boys: Horcoff, Smyth, Mactavish and Lowe.

Horcoff and Smyth don't play with a high level of energy anymore. The faceoffs and garbage goals are a thing of the past for them.

Don't know why Lowe would bring back Mactavish. His presence in the organization brings with him that dark cloud they originally fired him for.

I keep wondering if replacing Lowe would benefit the Oilers. He has a lot of experience and knows the business end of hockey well. This is why he has a lot of repect around the league, even though he's made some enemies over the years. But I wonder if his influence in the organization (along with Mactavish's) could be a hinderance on players. Any thoughts?

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Spartan117

btw, just cause I think they should have gone for Carlyle or Boudreau doesn't mean I don't like Krueger. Since the Oilers couldn't get the above, Krueger is just fine by me.

Oh, and I don't have a problem with Tambo. He's made some fine moves and like Obama, you can only blame the previous regime for what he had to work with.

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
You said 5 year rebuild and I asked you to point to a quote where management said this.

They never said that, you said that. I never said they we're not in a rebuild, I said there was no secret plan initiated 3 years ago like some people claim.

The team just sucked and management has clearly gotten a massive benefit from its ineptitude.
No, i didn't say that...Kevin Lowe did when he said that they wanted to model the system Chicago used - a 5 year plan i believe it was. It's not my fault that evidence for proof has been provided to you and you're ignoring it. How are the rebuild plans secret? Is the entire HF Oil board/Sports Media/Oiler organization wrong and you correct? Is that what you're claiming here?

If so, then i seriously cannot help you out here. I can only hope you enjoy your day and leave it at that...

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
No, i didn't say that...Kevin Lowe did when he said that they wanted to model the system Chicago used - a 5 year plan i believe it was. It's not my fault that evidence for proof has been provided to you and you're ignoring it. How are the rebuild plans secret? Is the entire HF Oil board/Sports Media/Oiler organization wrong and you correct? Is that what you're claiming here?

If so, then i seriously cannot help you out here. I can only hope you enjoy your day and leave it at that...
If we're following the Chicago rebuild we're severely f'd. Chicago brought in a ton of talent to take a run while Kane and Toews were still on their ELC's. Also it only took Chicago 2 years to get back into the playoffs after drafting Kane. I have as much hope as everyone for the team going forward but right now things aren't looking the greatest in Oil country.

Last edited by RaabHart: 02-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.
RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
By default.

The division just likes to setup the Canucks for a false sense of security so they can take it in the chin in the first round from whatever team they happen to face.

edit, lol at simultaneous "default" posts.
It's kind of sad that we're the only team in the division to beat them thus far.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
jbean

Besides the drafts and Schultz falling into their lap, what has Tambo done to better the team? I can only think of a bunch of minor or lateral moves. Gilbert for Schultz. Signing Belanger, Eager, and Hordichuck. Landing Fistric and Potter. Visnovsky for Whitney.

These are not impact moves. These are not the kind of moves that will turn a non playoff team into a playoff team. Tambo has shown very little reason to believe that he is a capable GM that can turn this team into a playoff contender and then sustain it.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Fishy McScales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Besides the drafts and Schultz falling into their lap, what has Tambo done to better the team? I can only think of a bunch of minor or lateral moves. Gilbert for Schultz. Signing Belanger, Eager, and Hordichuck. Landing Fistric and Potter. Visnovsky for Whitney.

These are not impact moves. These are not the kind of moves that will turn a non playoff team into a playoff team. Tambo has shown very little reason to believe that he is a capable GM that can turn this team into a playoff contender and then sustain it.
I see this argument a lot, and I keep asking myself what these impact moves would have been? The only thing the Oilers could have traded for an impact player was futures, the very thing they were trying to acquire.

Why make an "impact move" when you're aiming for the cellar? I don't get it. He did make an "impact move" with Heatley and we all so how that worked out, which lead to ownership asking him for a rebuild instead.

You say he's only making lateral moves, but I think after Lowe's wheeling and dealing it's nice to see someone hold his hands closer to his chest. He rarely if ever loses a trade, and I don't mind a rebuilding GM going slowly about things.

If he's still not pulling off any more significant moves over the next couple of years, as the Oilers want to start contending for playoff spots again, I'll be concerned.

Fishy McScales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

Patrick O'Sullivan for Cole was a big upgrade, in skill and size. Don't remember why we didn't keep him.

Getting rid of Brodziak for a 5th and 6th round pick was pretty solid. Who needs a big, high-maintenance 52%++ on the faceoff; when a much smaller Bellanger is available.

Penner the big pancake eating machine for some kid who's a lock on the #5 D-spot in the minors was pretty solid.

The Souray fight was sheer genius. How did he engineer that again, plus manage to keep him on the payroll while he plays for Anaheim??

Overall, I think his borderline genius trades, are reflected in his ability to turn big players into less skilled, smaller ones. By doing this, he was able to slide this team firmly into last place so we could get the top lottery spot 3 years in a row.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Fishy McScales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan for Cole was a big upgrade, in skill and size. Don't remember why we didn't keep him.

Getting rid of Brodziak for a 5th and 6th round pick was pretty solid. Who needs a big, high-maintenance 52%++ on the faceoff; when a much smaller Bellanger is available.

Penner the big pancake eating machine for some kid who's a lock on the #5 D-spot in the minors was pretty solid.

The Souray fight was sheer genius. How did he engineer that again, plus manage to keep him on the payroll while he plays for Anaheim??

Overall, I think his borderline genius trades, are reflected in his ability to turn big players into less skilled, smaller ones. [b]By doing this, he was able to slide this team firmly into last place so we could get the top lottery spot 3 years in a row.[b]
Bingo.

Fishy McScales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsOilersfan View Post

Bottom line is this - this team is still two to three years out. It took Kevin Lowe 5 years to destroy this team, it will take Tambo (or anyone else for that matter) 10 years to rebuild it. Not, not 4, not 6. We're definitely going the right direction, our farm team (yes we have one - remember in Lowe's heyday we didn't have a farm team, though that was ownership not KLowe) is getting much stronger, our young players are starting (Gagne now as mentioned, Hall/Ebs will be following suit soon, RNH is still a few years away I'm afraid he needs to get a lot stronger) and our DMen are developing (Klefbom - though hurt now, Marincin, Musil, Gernat).

I'm not worried, I'm patient, and excited, cause I know we're getting there. I think Tambo is doing fine, sure he's made mistakes, but so does everyone else. He hasn't made any doozies and the last thing I want is some thirty five + something signed to a ridiculous contract.
you've decided it's ok to be on a 10 year plan? I'm sorry. if you think it will take tambo 10 years to build a contending team, then he should be fired today.

it's hogwash. any halfway competent GM can rebuild a team and have them be a contender in less than 10 years, especially with three #1 picks.
I'll give understanding to a 5 year plan, but 10? come on.
I really can't believe you're ok with a 10 year rebuild, and believe that's how long it would take ANY general manager to do it.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:

Would you suggest he trades our garbage for superstars?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:

Quote:
- As far as the Schultz vs. Gilbert who is better debate...what type of defenseman are we using as a comparison (defensive or offensive) ?

- Justin was quoted as saying how talking to Krugs about the team they're building gave him goosebumps...Krugs is a professional motivational speaker in case you forgot...

- Really? Were you against the signings of Ebs and Hall?

- Fistric helps solve at least one problem which is better than nothing. I still say it was a good move.

- As far as when it will be done (rebuilding)? Well it was a 5 year plan, was it not? It could be said that 2010-2011 was the first year. That would make the 2015-16 season when we should be done. Unfortunately Oiler fans have short memories, and even less patience. Like i said...as fans we just need to deal with it, because it 'aint done yet.

Clearly you said it, I can't find any Lowe quotes saying we're doing a 5 year rebuild. For all you know it could be a 1 year, 2 year 10 year whatever.

My point is that there isn't some kind of set plan in place, this team sucks and continues to pile up draft picks. people like yourself will claim the day the Oilers start to get better that it was all part of the plan. .

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If we're following the Chicago rebuild we're severely f'd. Chicago brought in a ton of talent to take a run while Kane and Toews were still on their ELC's. Also it only took Chicago 2 years to get back into the playoffs after drafting Kane. I have as much hope as everyone for the team going forward but right now things aren't looking the greatest in Oil country.
Egg-****ing-xactly. This isn't anything like the chicago rebuild.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
Oilers should have gone for Carlyle or Boudreau when they had the chance. But overall, I'd say its time to part with all the old boys: Horcoff, Smyth, Mactavish and Lowe.

Horcoff and Smyth don't play with a high level of energy anymore. The faceoffs and garbage goals are a thing of the past for them.

Don't know why Lowe would bring back Mactavish. His presence in the organization brings with him that dark cloud they originally fired him for.

I keep wondering if replacing Lowe would benefit the Oilers. He has a lot of experience and knows the business end of hockey well. This is why he has a lot of repect around the league, even though he's made some enemies over the years. But I wonder if his influence in the organization (along with Mactavish's) could be a hinderance on players. Any thoughts?
Bodreau would've been perfect for this team, too bad

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Clearly you said it, I can't find any Lowe quotes saying we're doing a 5 year rebuild. For all you know it could be a 1 year, 2 year 10 year whatever.

My point is that there isn't some kind of set plan in place, this team sucks and continues to pile up draft picks. people like yourself will claim the day the Oilers start to get better that it was all part of the plan. .
Kevin Lowe's own words.............

Quote:
Hopefully, the fans can see what we are scripting out here, in terms of an overall plan. If we look at Chicago, and in some respects Washington, that is obviously the main template, and the final part of Chicago's plan culminated in them winning the Stanley Cup. If we fast-forward over the next 5-7 years that is what we hope we will be doing.”
http://www.thevoiceofsport.com/2010/...vin-lowes.html

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:

Jeebus i can't believe i had to actually do this work for you:

http://www.zimbio.com/Steve+Tambelli...llini+Extended

Quote from Lowe after Tambo resigned:

Quote:
Kevin Lowe says, “Three years ago we asked Steve to begin a rebuild which we all know hasn’t been easy. However, Oilers fans can take some consolation in the fact that Steve and his staff have acquired some amazing talent which will most definitely be the cornerstone to future sustained success for the Edmonton Oilers.”
- There's the big secret plan to rebuild! SSSHHHHH IT"S A SECRET!

I couldn't find the CBC interview with Lowe (it was during hockey day in Canada), but i have Derek Zona talking about it:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ues-derek-zona

Quote:
Kevin Lowe was on CBC for Hockey Day In Canada and said the team will compete for the playoffs in 3 years and contend fo a cup in 6 years
So sorry i couldn't find the video for you, but if you still don't believe me than frankly you're hopelessly and delusionally ignorant. I mean no Oiler fan could be THAT unaware...could they?

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:02 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:

Overall, I think his borderline genius trades, are reflected in his ability to turn big players into less skilled, smaller ones. By doing this, he was able to slide this team firmly into last place so we could get the top lottery spot 3 years in a row.
Cole and souray did not want to be here. Souray would have been moved if he didn't injure himself like an asshat. Brodziak hasn't been very good this year, and Penner has sucked since he left. He didn't even play against us

Old
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
No Good Names Left

Quote:

You have good points, although, you realize we also got Klefbom for Pancake Penner as well. Klefbom will be here next year, he actually said he could probably play this year, but wanted to make sure his shoulder was fully healed.

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder if you were even paying attention to the Oilers back when those deals occured.

Specificly the Cole one, where he didn't fit in with the team all year, was clearly unhappy in Edmonton, and a soon-to-be UFA that had no intention of resigning in Edmonton. Or that at the time of the trade, everyone was happy to have just gotten something for Cole, let alone a young supposed sniper who everyone thought needed a change of scenery after a contentious contract negotiations, whose productive year hadn't yet been exposed as a product of playing with Kopitar.

Even the rest of your list is fraught with inconsistencies and manufactured facts. I mean look around, do you really think you need to modify history to get people to dislike Tambo and Lowe?

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote