HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:07 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I remember reading something about how the Oilers have the most first rounders out any team on their 23 man roster.

I guess that doesn't equate to success.
If you follow the apparent logic, I guess that every one of them should be expected to be a complete and instant home run. Now we've got ourselves a gaggle of very talented smurfs, in a league full of behemoths. How do you think this is going to turn out? Does ST have the cojones or guile to make hockey deals? If others here don't believe that this team isn't too small? Do people disagree that this team needs at least a top-6 centre with size (like truly over 6'0 and 190lbs??), a top-4 defenseman and another 6-7 bona-fide NHL defenseman just to get to the next stage?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:15 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
Huh? I don't recall this response being about you, but whatever dude.
If you take a closer look, you'd see that i was actually responding to Gone and not to you...Don't people know how to read forums these days? Jeez...

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Xelebes

vCash: 692
There's a lot of bellyachers in this thread. The Oilers are currently two points away from 8th place. The previous three seasons, we would be lucky to get to 6 pts from 8th.

Teams are bringing their A game against the Oilers. RNH, Eberle and Hall are now learning hard lessons that will help them grow. They are where they should be right now in the development curve: not abhorrent.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:35 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Hall 1st (1st overall)
Nugent-Hopkins 1st (1st overall)
Yakupov 1st (1st overall)
Whitney 1st (5th overall)
Smyth 1st (6th overall)
Gagner 1st (6th overall)
Smid 1st (9th overall)
Paajarvi 1st (10th overall)
Hemsky 1st (13th overall)
Teubert 1st (13th overall)
Dubnyk 1st (14th overall)
Plante 1st (15th overall)
Klefbom 1st (19th overall)
Eberle 1st (22nd overall)
Eager 1st (23rd overall)
Fistric 1st (28th overall)

16 1st round draft picks currently within the organization.

13 1st round picks on the roster that have been in the lineup this season.

NHL records? Likely.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
If you follow the apparent logic, I guess that every one of them should be expected to be a complete and instant home run. Now we've got ourselves a gaggle of very talented smurfs, in a league full of behemoths. How do you think this is going to turn out? Does ST have the cojones or guile to make hockey deals? If others here don't believe that this team isn't too small? Do people disagree that this team needs at least a top-6 centre with size (like truly over 6'0 and 190lbs??), a top-4 defenseman and another 6-7 bona-fide NHL defenseman just to get to the next stage?
I guess that I opened myself up to that but I never meant to insinuate that it should equate to success. I just think that it's an interesting tidbit. There's a tonne of supposed talent on this club.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
There's a lot of bellyachers in this thread. The Oilers are currently two points away from 8th place. The previous three seasons, we would be lucky to get to 6 pts from 8th.

Teams are bringing their A game against the Oilers. RNH, Eberle and Hall are now learning hard lessons that will help them grow. They are where they should be right now in the development curve: not abhorrent.
4 points up on 30th in the league and with the 9 game road trip coming up we'll likely trend downwards and um, re-assume our position.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

Last year about this time (as far as games played) we lead the conference. The massive problem with the oilers right now is that a bunch of kids 22 or younger carried the team last year and we still faded into near last place. This year the kids have evened off, we are getting nothing at all on offense from our 3/4 line and any dman not named Justin.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Pros and Cons

Well I don't believe Tambo is the direct issue of why this team seems to struggle with whatever players are on the ice, he hasn't been knocking our socks off as a GM (in regards to player personnel). He drafted no-brainer first overall picks, signed players and resigned players that wasn't to hard of a desicsion to make. The players that were traded and or let go after contract was up were not earth shattering playoff contending moves.

However what he does bring, and I believe is a great quality in the job: patience. the guy seems to stay cool in all the strain and situations. This will be key when the chips start to fall into place. When times are tough, your true character will show, I don't forsee the Oilers being any worse then where they have been in the last 3 years. So imagine how calm he will be when he can make moves to keep improving. He had very little to work with before, now he has cards and is in the game. Lets give the guy a chance to work with what he acquired, we gave him the chance when he was limited.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
BadMedicine*

The only blame Tambi is open to is his share of not resourcing the NewAge Hockey System on behalf of the Oilers franchise, his executive decisions have been above average, but overall is roundtable input has been as lacking as the rest of the men there, they need to use a better and superior system and they are in positions to have already been made aware of the NewAge Hockey System.

There is a system out there tailormade for the Oilers, in fact created with them in mind, it isnt certified and it isnt proven, but then again neither is this group of players and the NHS is at least at potentially game changing as all the studs we have on our roster who are looking for something better systemwise, who seem to be willing to do anything they are asked to do. This window of unconditional willingness will close within two years .

Tambi is willing to make tough decisions and is willing to face the music and be forthright and honest, so he is doing a fine job, but without a superior system of play that can properly utilise all of the assets he works so hard to support he will not earn the results he and the team deserve based on the energy and resources he is expending.

Kevin Lowe and Mac-T and all the managment staff are under the exact same pressure and as a round table group they cannot seem to find a way to put Humpty back together again and the clock is runningout on this year, most of this group was here last year to partake in and witness the same type of collapse for the exact same reasons, this is repetative already.

The system we use is called an adjusted-hybrid by the NewAge Hockey System, I dont know what professionals call it , but I do know that if I read up on the NHS I learn what historical systems of NHL play were based on and how they evolved into todays systems, this short history lesson shows me that we are using the wrong outdated system today.

Heres the breakdown.

Defensive hockey system -focues on defense first using set plays
Offensive system -focuses on offense first using set plays
Hybrid system -focuses on a balance of offense and defense using strictly set plays
Adjusted hybrid system -focuses on maintaining a balanced defense using set plays and tries to squeeze more offense out by incorporating creative transitional plays into the o-zone entry by using the fastbreal tactic and the dumpin tactic
NewAge Hockey System -focuses on pure 100% offense , uses no set plays, seeks overwhelming offense through 3 controlled transitions with no concern for defensive structure, incorporates a half-rink and a full rink cycle that replaces the need to seek defensive balance because there is no defensive focus and set plays.

We are now using an adjusted hybrid which is why we are having a hard time dropping the fastbreak dumpin mentality, as these are key points of the system itself. The adjusted hybrid gives you a look at potentially explosive offense but yanks the chain back at the last second and frustrates younger less experienced players, it is really an adrenaline killer type of system where you lose the intabgible advantages of youth, energy and passion , and replace them with tactical patient decision making.

We need to be using the NHS so we can incorporate all of these intangibles and so we can provide enough hard work for all of our studs who are willing to bust their backs for us. We need to see offensive results, there young mens careers are being written and every bad year for the team stays on their resumes forever.

We need to find the NHS so we can implement the tactical shooting program into our already excellent transition game, we need to find a new page for everyone to start on that they are familiar with. We dont have time to implement another outdated system of play, we need to EVOLVE with the times. Other teams are already playing the adjusted hybrid using the few NHS core valus additions LA used last year, however they are having difficulty maintaining consistancy. This wont go away because the adjusted hybrid has a low performance ceiling and can be shut down with a simple system chackmate that eliminates its ability to generate transitions and forces it to become a traditional defensive system.

We do not want to use the adjusted hybrid anymore, it WAS cutting edge ,now it isnt, the NHS has provided a superior alternative. A 100% offensive possesion-transition, momentum defining juggernaught that scores goals for a full 60 mins producing 40+ shots and 4+ goals per game with an enhanced defensive result because of the puck hogging half and full-rink cycles. The sweet part is that we in developing experience with the adjusted hybrid have already unknowingly mastered the BASE of the NewAge Hockey System we have already sucessfully completed the bulk of the learning curve of the entire NHS system of play, all we need to do now is add some key core values and not delete anything we have accomplished, we need to credit ourselves for doing such excellent work in the right areas so far and then simply make a few NHS adjustments and we are off to the races. Not start obsessing and losing sight of our progress to this point, the lack of results is not misleading at all we could very well turf this entire season within ten games if we do not adjust. We need to find the shortest route to winning games and it is the NHS, trying to implement it again like last year after we have pissed away the entire season chasing our own tails is regressive, anyone with intuition and eyes can see what happened to this team last year and is happening again this year, this adjusted hybrid is a flawed system and will never provide the elite results we are asking for that is why I provided the few NHS adjustments to it over the last two years to encourage all NHL teams to embrace it---it is a Trojan Horse when stacked up against the NHS. I designed the NHS to eat hybrids and adjusted hybrids for lunch 7 days a week, because the NHS is an evolutioary step based of the hybrid there is no way to out coach the deathgrip the NHS has on its predessesors. We can replicate the Dynasty results immediatly here if we wake the pluck up. If we still had Renney here and Ralph backing him up and we had the NHS being implemented we would be leading our conference but instead we are simply letting Ralph try his personal version of the adjusted hybrid that Mac-T and Renney both used, there has been no forward evolution here for over 15 years systemwise and it is killing us. These clowns dont even know how to define the systems they use, in fact most of the NHL is oblivious to system dynamics. They are all obsessed with statistics. Moma2s NewAge Hockey System is based on Intuative Dynamic Analysis NOT BS statistical analysis and the NHS holds the key to this teams next step.

Last edited by BadMedicine*: 02-15-2013 at 07:35 AM.
BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Huh?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:08 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
The .... step.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

02-20-2013, 12:53 AM
jmoss45

I was hesitant before but now i'm 100% in agreement with this analysis. There are HUGE holes in the current team, that have existed for years. Size, toughness, good D, a solid centre who wins draws.

The frustrating part now is that we are losing winnable games because Tambo has done next to nothing. The truth is, if my cat was GM the last 2 years, the only difference is that the oil wouldn't have Fistric.

The top 6 built itself. The 1st overalls fell into our laps. Gagner & Hemsky came from the last GM, and is finally becoming what we knew they were. Time for Tambo to step up and do something before this is ANOTHER lost season.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:18 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I was hesitant before but now i'm 100% in agreement with this analysis. There are HUGE holes in the current team, that have existed for years. Size, toughness, good D, a solid centre who wins draws.

The frustrating part now is that we are losing winnable games because Tambo has done next to nothing. The truth is, if my cat was GM the last 2 years, the only difference is that the oil wouldn't have Fistric.

The top 6 built itself. The 1st overalls fell into our laps. Gagner & Hemsky came from the last GM, and is finally becoming what we knew they were. Time for Tambo to step up and do something before this is ANOTHER lost season.
And that is....?

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
And that is....?
Overpay for ROR, and punt Whitney for a better bottom pairing dman.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:39 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Sounds solid.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:44 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
And that is....?
Identify the teams short comings and address them...isn't that what GM's are paid to do?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Identify the teams short comings and address them...isn't that what GM's are paid to do?
So how do we address them? Who we sign/trade for?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:59 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
And that is....?
Address a need!

Surely Tambo could have found a C by now so we wouldn't have had to deal with Smyth/CVV as the 4C.

A deal to bring Brodziak back? We have 2 2nd rounders this year.

2nd for Clowe? Sharks are slumping and he's a UFA.

God forbid a big deal for a Myers/RoR. Marincin+ 2013 1st+ Harski?

.....or have Tambo sit there being useless and watch us blow a year of having a great core so he can stick to the 10 year rebuild plan he intended all along.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:00 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Address a need!

Surely Tambo could have found a C by now so we wouldn't have had to deal with Smyth/CVV as the 4C.

A deal to bring Brodziak back? We have 2 2nd rounders this year.

2nd for Clowe? Sharks are slumping and he's a UFA.

God forbid a big deal for a Myers/RoR. Marincin+ 2013 1st+ Harski?

.....or have Tambo sit there being useless and watch us blow a year of having a great core so he can stick to the 10 year rebuild plan he intended all along.
Why would any of those teams deal any of those players?

Old
02-20-2013, 02:08 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
Why would any of those teams deal any of those players?
The same reason most teams other than the oil make trades.. they're struggling or the player asked to be dealt.

Those are just guesses obviously. I realize you needed an example because like most oiler fans you can't envision what an actual hockey trade looks like, because they never happen under Tambo.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:30 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
i blame the linesman

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:01 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
So what would you give up for ROR? I agree that he's what the Dr. ordered but what do you offer to Sherman to get him to bite?

02-20-2013, 03:06 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Sam Gagner and Linus Omark.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:30 AM
dixs35

I starting to think Tambo doesn't survive the road trip if they continue to struggle. I just have a feeling when the Oil get home they will have a new GM.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I starting to think Tambo doesn't survive the road trip if they continue to struggle. I just have a feeling when the Oil get home they will have a new GM.
Doubt it, but he needs to get off his hands, this club is crying out for an experienced big body on the top9.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote