HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I starting to think Tambo doesn't survive the road trip if they continue to struggle. I just have a feeling when the Oil get home they will have a new GM.
The thought probably hasn't even entered Katz and Lowe's minds.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
dixs35

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
Doubt it, but he needs to get off his hands, this club is crying out for an experienced big body on the top9.
probably not. More just wishful thinking. Foolishly drank the kool-aid this year without really taking a deep look at the roster. A team that tries to break in 4+ fringe NHLers or rookies on any given night in a short season no matter how good the high end talent is destined for one place and any GM should know that.

The Oil have their core. Its time to find right supporting cast. I think Tambo is about to get a promotion and a real hockey trade for real help happens soon after.

Last edited by dixs35: 02-20-2013 at 05:14 AM.
dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:13 AM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The thought probably hasn't even entered Katz and Lowe's minds.
Of course it has. Why else is MacT here. It has become the M.O of this regime to already have the replacement in the fold.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Of course it has. Why else is MacT here. It has become the M.O of this regime to already have the replacement in the fold.
He's here because Lowe and Mact have a pact that they would always make sure they kept each other employed at the NHL level.

Mact probably just got sick of the busses and asked his buddy for a high paying job.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:54 AM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He's here because Lowe and Mact have a pact that they would always make sure they kept each other employed at the NHL level.

Mact probably just got sick of the busses and asked his buddy for a high paying job.
To the pact, I wouldn't doubt it. to your reason, there has to be more to it than doing your buddy a solid. This was a calculated movie by Lowe. MacT's whole demeanor has GM written all over it.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
To the pact, I wouldn't doubt it. to your reason, there has to be more to it than doing your buddy a solid. This was a calculated movie by Lowe. MacT's whole demeanor has GM written all over it.
Mact is nothing more than a hypocrite who sat in the Oiler boardrooms every summer giving input on player aquisition, then complaining about the players he had to work with while throwing his best friend GM under the bus all season to the media.

Mact as GM would be a major step backwards for the organization, a reuniting of the power duo of stupidity that ran the organization into the ground in the first place.

Old
02-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Mact is nothing more than a hypocrite who sat in the Oiler boardrooms every summer giving input on player aquisition, then complaining about the players he had to work with while throwing his best friend GM under the bus all season to the media.

Mact as GM would be a major step backwards for the organization, a reuniting of the power duo of stupidity that ran the organization into the ground in the first place.
Hmmm, really. Funny how in the end the only one thrown under the bus were the 4 coaches in 4 years that could win a game with the pile o crap players assembled by Tamblowe.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sam Gagner and Linus Omark.
that is actually fair value for ror. That trade makes so much sense. We give up the player who will score more for the player with a more rounded defenssive / physical game.

It is an old fashioned hockey trade where two teams meet a need by trading from surplus/

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Because nobody else would hire him?

Pretty self-explanatory really.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
that is actually fair value for ror. That trade makes so much sense. We give up the player who will score more for the player with a more rounded defenssive / physical game.

It is an old fashioned hockey trade where two teams meet a need by trading from surplus/
Colorado laughs and hangs up the phone. They aren't dealing ROR to a divisional rival unless there's some significant overpay.

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:

You seem to have an axe to grind on this. Not at all how others saw it at the time.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Doesn't make any since for Colorado though. Were not getting ROR unless we send a top 4 dman the other way. So either J. Schultz or Smid, maybe Petry.

RaabHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Just listening to Craig Simpson on Oilers Now.

He makes a lot of sense...too many of the players are the same type of player (ie...small skilled and soft). The team needs some balance.

Tough to disagree with the obvious.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

He makes a lot of sense...too many of the players are the same type of player (ie...small skilled and soft). The team needs some balance.

Obvious to whom, though? Not to the people whose jobs, ostensibly, is to make the Oilers not suck.

Obvious to everyone else in the bloody universe, of course, but not the fleshy corpuscles in charge of not drafting first overall for a fourth godforsaken time in a row.

But hey, at least they're getting their arena, so who cares about a winning team, right?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Colorado laughs and hangs up the phone. They aren't dealing ROR to a divisional rival unless there's some significant overpay.
probably not a division rival next year with the realignment that everyone expects.

Gagner is tied for 16th in scoring 1/3 of the way through the season. Duchene, Datzuk, Zett, and Kane are the only western conference players with more points. He is at the age where players break out and it looks like it is happening.

I am hesitant to move him but ROR is probably worth it.

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
probably not. More just wishful thinking. Foolishly drank the kool-aid this year without really taking a deep look at the roster. A team that tries to break in 4+ fringe NHLers or rookies on any given night in a short season no matter how good the high end talent is destined for one place and any GM should know that.

The Oil have their core. Its time to find right supporting cast. I think Tambo is about to get a promotion and a real hockey trade for real help happens soon after.

They may have their core, but the bigger question is...is the core fully ready to take over the heavy responsibilities of leading the team into new territory? Nuge is only 19 and in his 2nd year. Yak and Schultz have a total of 15 NHL games under their belt. Hall And Eberle are just starting their 3rd year and are 21 and 22 repspectively.
Mere children, despite the gaudy outlook and expectations we all have. The time to go after the rest of the supporting cast is when these kids have finally grown into their roles and the team is ready to make some serious moves. There are some nice pieces coming along, IMO, like Dubnyk, Petry and Smid, and others that will help cross over to that time like Belanger, Smyth and Horcoff.

I expected them to finish anywhere from 8th to 12th this year, playing meaningful games right through to the middle of April or beyond. This whole season is going to be ups and downs. That's the way it is with a young team that's still learning and maturing. The main thing at this point is not to panic 15 games in and start moving pieces or draft picks you're going to regret. I'd like to see where they are in another 15 games or even at the trade deadline before making moves. Everything we want, about 25 other teams all want. Those that have it will be asking an exhorbitant price (see Colorado).

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Quote:

Mact as GM w I get the feeling Ta Lowe will still be in chargeould be a major step backwards for the organization, a reuniting of the power duo of stupidity that ran the organization into the ground in the first place.
Totally agreed, MacT has to share some of the blame.

If he had stated outright that Brodziak and Glencross were valuable members I don't see how they would be let go for nothing.

To his credit he is intelligent, so maybe as a GM he won't play as heavy of favorites, but Tamby isn't going anywhere anyway.. maybe next year, but Lowe would still be in charge

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

I definitely agree with Craig (and the team's deficiencies are obvious) but it's been interesting to watch the media do a 180 on this team over the past two weeks or so. It was all "Omg skill skill skill! They gonna take dat big step this season!" before the season started. Two weeks later... "Yeah, I knew they were gonna suck."

The media and "hockey people" are just as clueless as your average "Joe" fan. The kind you heard on CHED after a hockey game.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Totally agreed, MacT has to share some of the blame.

If he had stated outright that Brodziak and Glencross were valuable members I don't see how they would be let go for nothing.

To his credit he is intelligent, so maybe as a GM he won't play as heavy of favorites, but Tamby isn't going anywhere anyway.. maybe next year, but Lowe would still be in charge
If i remember correctly he told them to re-sign Glencross and was p/o'ed about the Brodziak trade he also went on the record quite a few times when the Oilers traded Stoll and didnt re-sign Reasoner that it was unacceptable to have Horcoff as the only proven centre...which added to his anger when they traded Brodziak who had just emerged as the only centre who could help Horcoff in the circle the next season.

MacT had alot of fans hating him but when you look at how he assessed a players talent and what kind of role they should have...he has been pretty spot on. There is no Miro Satan, nor Ray Whitney on MacTs watch. Brodziak Cleary and Fraser are doing exactly what MacT said they would be and Schremp is worthless and Penner has no ambition and took far too much babysitting which led to the big BLOW UP on the air.
In hind sight alot of people are surprised MacT was able to motivate Penner enough that he only had to scratch him twice in his time here

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I read that MacT spearheaded the Brodziak trade. He wanted him gone; he thought that he was lazy.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:49 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
I read that MacT spearheaded the Brodziak trade. He wanted him gone; he thought that he was lazy.
wow thats the first i ever heard that. His year end interview of evaluations was that Brodziak was going to see an increase in ice time the next season.
Ill trust my friends and MacTs own words and his track record of demanding able centres at premium. Also MacT has dealt with lazy players and kept them because he needed them. I dont think hed trade his only other centre option just because he was lazy ... for a dp that never had the talent to be anything more than a depth AHL player and at best was half a decade away from seeing an oilers camp. And all this coming after moulding Brodziak into their 2nd most reliable centre after watching Lowe send out Reasoner and Stoll. MacTs angry statements of management leaving only one proven centre for him are fully on the record.

Where did you read this?
Just looking at the timeline...

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-20-2013 at 11:54 PM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
wow thats the first i ever heard that. His year end interview of evaluations was that Brodziak was going to see an increase in ice time the next season.
Ill trust my friends and MacTs own words and his track record of demanding able centres at premium.
You're probably right (Replacement said something similar last year) but still, I could have sworn that I read something about Mac not being a fan of his...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Mact was already out of the organization then.

Brodizak was deemed "soft", and therefore expendable as part of Tambo's effort to live up to his "we're going to be difficult to play against" rant that also led to the hiring of Quinn.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 123
As much as I liked brodziak, he hasn't been very good this year for the Wild...

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:

So what was his recipe for success? Who did he say we should move? Who should we target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Obvious to whom, though? Not to the people whose jobs, ostensibly, is to make the Oilers not suck.

Obvious to everyone else in the bloody universe, of course, but not the fleshy corpuscles in charge of not drafting first overall for a fourth godforsaken time in a row.

But hey, at least they're getting their arena, so who cares about a winning team, right?
Agreed, IMO it's been obvious for some time and adding Nail didn't exactly change that. If management doesn't add some size/grit with skill by the start of next season then it's blatantly obvious that they'll never get it.