HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If you think this team is the same team as two, three years ago, you really haven't been watching.
We have been carried by tending this year totally, carried to a spot currently out of the playoffs. We cannot score at even strength, our best players are still 23 or under and our top young guys are not improving this year. Our vets till for the most part just suck. I would say you have not watched the team this year if you think the team is truly progressing.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Golden question, which nobody will admit that they have no idea.
Who is the golden question. But why should we have to know, there are millions of dollars in salary for management and their helpers to do this for us. Why the heck should we have to know.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
But here's the burning question...

What if the goaltending doesn't come back to Earth? People seem to forget that despite the 29th place finish, Dubnyk actually played really well the last couple months of the previous season. Goaltending has to steal you at least some points, but it's not as if the team is going to sleep all season either.
I'll be elated if DD is a top 3 in the league goalie year after year. I've been a big supporter of his even when people preferred JDD and last year when people were calling for his head. I simply do not think he can sustain this level of play and we better hope we get our act together if he does falter at all. The Oilers as a whole team have not been impressive this year at all.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Well the fact of the matter is we didn't have enough Nick Schultzes and too many Tom Gilberts. Where did Gilbert help us finish? DFL. Twice.
You simply cannot use that line of thinking without blasting the he double hockey sticks out of a lot of players....see Horcatross.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We have been carried by tending this year totally, carried to a spot currently out of the playoffs. We cannot score at even strength, our best players are still 23 or under and our top young guys are not improving this year. Our vets till for the most part just suck. I would say you have not watched the team this year if you think the team is truly progressing.
There's one difference between this year and last year.

Dubnyk is playing most of the games now, not Khabibulin.

If you look closely at the West most teams are going to OT on a nightly basis. I really don't think there's much shame in finishing 9th, 10th, or 11th. The West is just that good. Just look at the defending champs in 12th. Or the Caps in 30th overall.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Here here. Just because we have a list of names who are stars or are to become stars is still just names. Way more talent (supposedly) and less goals. Hmm. Weird. Must be an anomaly.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Here here. Just because we have a list of names who are stars or are to become stars is still just names. Way more talent (supposedly) and less goals. Hmm. Weird. Must be an anomaly.
Washington is outscoring us and yet they're 30th overall. It's not just GF that matters. it's GA. (By the way we're currently 9th in that regard. Overall.)

Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Like Narnia has said, Oiler fans don't have the patience for a rebuild. Games like the last one are a little discouraging, but then I think back to the seconds Sharks game and the first game against the Canucks and think that maybe, just maybe, they're making progress.

This is a team in the middle of the pack without their first line going. If Eberle, RNH, and Hall all wake up, we should be in good hands. In the meantime it's great to see Hemsky and Gagner carrying the load with Schultz chipping in on the blueline.
What utter nonsense.

Oiler fans have shown plenty patience, and most have kept their expectations in check. We've been the laughing stock as a franchise of the NHL for 3 years running. After consecutive finishes of 30th, 30th and 29th, the expectation of improvement isn't too much to ask. Especially with the scorched earth policy we've dictated. Literally getting the best talent available in the world the last 3 years should improve the team shouldn't it?

Not only that, but preseason predictions had the majority of people picking the Oilers outside of the playoffs. Essentially people wanted improvement but didn't expect a contender or even a playoff team. Just one which was more competitive most nights than not.

Now I'm not sure where you came up with the conclusion 'Oiler fans have no patience', but considering we're scoring less than mother ****ing Florida at ES with a 10x more talented roster, I'd say frustration shown by Oiler fans is fair. Especially considering if struggles of generating scoring opportunities at ES continues.

It boggles my mind how anyone can say Oiler fans have no patience. 5 years, half a ****ing decade, in picking top-10 in a salary cap world, and we still can't score at ES. The frustration shown makes sense.

fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
You simply cannot use that line of thinking without blasting the he double hockey sticks out of a lot of players....see Horcatross.
Good reminder. Hmm. Signing Glenncross. NOT.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
When has anybody said it was a 5 year plan? I've never heard Katz or Tamby or Lowe say this, I looked on google and no quotes of this "plan" ever come up.
The quote I actually remember was Katz saying was we don't plan on being here again after we drafted Hall.

There was/is no plan. You and some other fans need to stop being blind to ineptitude of our management. Falling ass backwards into good players isn't something to brag about.

Teams with 1/10 the talent we have, have but up better results. Steve's revolving door of FA's have been one failure after other, constantly performing worse then where they come from. (The exception of maybe 1-2).

Every year its the same problems, and what do we do? we hire guys that were fired, promote guys that we're part of 30th place teams, pick up other teams scrap players.

I am tired of tambellini, i gave him a chance 2 years ago. I understood the predicament that he faced concerning the fall out of 06'. I've watched this merry go round for 3 years now and its the same issues.

This isn't about patience is about common sense and accepting reality. Steve isn't the guy thats going to lead this team to glory, he has done his job of sucking and getting us (undeservingly) good players.

After this season hope he gets canned and for the love of god we hire somebody outside the organization that actually has had some success.
Are you serious with this? Really?

http://oilersnation.com/2012/9/12/on...dmonton-oilers

http://oilersnation.com/2012/2/14/th...tay-the-course

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ive-year-plan/

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...l-of-patience/

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?us...&post_id=12183

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Look at it this way: If Tambo had signed someone other than Ryan Smyth, the media would've crucified him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
What utter nonsense.

Oiler fans have shown plenty patience, and most have kept their expectations in check. We've been the laughing stock as a franchise of the NHL for 3 years running. After consecutive finishes of 30th, 30th and 29th, the expectation of improvement isn't too much to ask. Especially with the scorched earth policy we've dictated. Literally getting the best talent available in the world the last 3 years should improve the team shouldn't it?

Not only that, but preseason predictions had the majority of people picking the Oilers outside of the playoffs. Essentially people wanted improvement but didn't expect a contender or even a playoff team. Just one which was more competitive most nights than not.

Now I'm not sure where you came up with the conclusion 'Oiler fans have no patience', but considering we're scoring less than mother ****ing Florida at ES with a 10x more talented roster, I'd say frustration shown by Oiler fans is fair. Especially considering if struggles of generating scoring opportunities at ES continues.

It boggles my mind how anyone can say Oiler fans have no patience. 5 years, half a ****ing decade, in picking top-10 in a salary cap world, and we still can't score at ES. The frustration shown makes sense.
Ever read a PGT after a close loss? It's always doom and gloom, fire this person, trade that one.

The problem is that for many years the Oilers were trying to remain competitive. They probably should have rebuilt after the 2007 season but the 2008 season gave us false hope. (Sound familiar? A team in Southern Alberta is going through the exact same thing)

I'll save my panic for when the team is in the basement. Not when we're in the thick of it. It really seems sometimes anything less than a Stanley Cup victory is a massive disappointment to some people.

Look at the Kings. 12th in the West. The Capitals, 30th overall. The Blues are on a 5 game slide and will fall out of the picture tonight (thanks to our game). The Sharks have also lost 5 in a row and suddenly look very pedestrian, especially after getting blasted by the Columbus Blue Jackets last night.

You can talk about ES scoring and whatever... I personally don't care how they do it, as long as they WIN.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Washington is outscoring us and yet they're 30th overall. It's not just GF that matters. it's GA. (By the way we're currently 9th in that regard. Overall.)
I agree with this as well. Cool, now we have way more offensive talent, score less goals, way less shots. Defense, that will be fun to watch.
Bet Washington would beat us.

Think I better do some work, this is stressful but having no money myself is way more stressful.

Old
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Funny how you can look at a team that's just out of a playoff spot thanks to above average goaltending, poor ES shooting %, a middling PP and our top line struggling and expect only one of those trends to not continue. Some people are just pessimists I guess.

Last edited by Moose Coleman: 02-12-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith

Quote:
I agree with this as well. Cool, now we have way more offensive talent, score less goals, way less shots. Defense, that will be fun to watch.
Bet Washington would beat us.
Not with their defensive miscues.

Either way, offense wins games, defense/goaltending wins championships. Check out the last two Conn Smythe trophy winners.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Not with their defensive miscues.

Either way, offense wins games, defense/goaltending wins championships. Check out the last two Conn Smythe trophy winners.
Have to win games to get to the championships.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Have to win games to get to the championships.
Fair point.

If we win tonight we're back in the playoff picture. Even if we get a point we still remain with the pack.

Like I said in a previous post, I'll hit the panic button when we're comfortably in the basement. Not in the middle of the pack.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
We don't have the defense to score goals. Anyone in hockey will tell you offense starts from the point.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Caustic

Wow - you guys are just as hard as the Vancouver fans are on the Canucks.

Look - the team has been built around young, raw talent. Signing more veterans to keep the team (somewhat) competitive until the young players develop will do nothing but reduce cap space as well as ensuring a lower pick in the draft. I mean, what's the point of being semi-competitve? It isn't enough to potentially win the cup anyway so a GM might as well blow everything up and rebuild completely.

The way this team has been built is bound to lead to growing pains and being a non-playoff team during the process. But when I look at the forward lineup of the Oilers, it absolutely oozes talent. Assuming all your guys develop as expected I don't think there is any team in the league who will be able to compete offensively.

You guys are complaining about the team right now (and I know, it totally sucks right now) but what you're going through is a necessary evil of building the kind of team that Tambellini envisioned. Being the annual bottom feeders in the past few years totally got you guys the picks to build a potentially amazing team. Justin Shultz was a fantastic addition as well.

Should this experiment work out in a couple of years, there will be nothing but praise for the way Tambellini built this team. The way he collected so much young talent at once was, in my opinion, the best way to do it in this cap-strict NHL. I'm sure you'd all agree that competing for the cup in the next couple of years (which I believe Edmonton will be doing) will be worth having a crappy team for a few years. Is there a guarantee all the guys on your team will become star players? Absolutely not. But then, there are never any guarantees when drafting players.

Hey - it could be worse... you guys could be cheering for Calgary who are a team that is also not likely to make the playoffs but at the same time have absolutely no hope for the immediate future either.

Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
PaperDesigner

The Oilers are in a rebuild because of how they constructed the 2009-2010 roster. Remember, rebuilds don't happen until the roster ceases to be competitive. Tell me, does a rebuilding team hire Pat Quinn to coach? If you look at the roster construction, I don't see how you can think Tambellini is anything but a terrible GM. The best thing that can be said for him is that when it was time for him to lose on purpose, he was quite successful. That's not a good thing.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Who is the golden question. But why should we have to know, there are millions of dollars in salary for management and their helpers to do this for us. Why the heck should we have to know.
So why say that you could of gotten a better player for Gilbert, when you don't know?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
By all accounts? I watch the guy play rather than 'by all accounts'. A totally stay at home defensive defenceman needs to not make bonehead plays with the puck at all. He hasn't been garbage by any means but he hasn't been the shut down guy people blurted he was.
Oh, so YOU are the guy watching the games...I was wondering who that guy was.

We're watching the same games, and the notion that Nick Schultz must play perfect defensive hockey every second he is on the ice to not be considered a "substantial disappointment" is beyond laughable.

Your "opinion" screams butt-hurt over a player you liked getting traded.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 02-12-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Kirby

Send a message via AIM to Kirby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Funny how you can look at a team that's just out of a playoff spot thanks to above average goaltending, poor ES shooting %, a middling PPand our top line struggling and expect only one of those trends to not continue. Some people are just pessimists I guess.
I do not know if you have checked the teams stats recently, but the Oiler's currently sit at 5th overall for PP%.The Oiler's Penalty Kill also sits at 5th overall (I'll admit, the PK stat has a lot to do with the goaltending, which has been amazing).

The Oiler's suck for shots on goal and EV scoring. Yet, a lot of the players that will help boost both of these stats are slumping (Eberle, RNH, Petry, Harti/PRV learning how to convert their cycle game into shots on goal, etc.). While the goaltending might begin to regress (I do not think by much, Dubnyk has been playing at this high level for the last 20 games of last season, the entirety of this season, and at the spenglar cup - he also is not 40 and worrying about his body breaking down), the Oiler's shots and EV scoring should see a rise as well.

In my opinion, the Oiler's are in the midst of year 3 of the rebuild. I look at drafting Hall the beginning of year 1 (yes we sucked to get that pick, but the rebuild did not actually start until we **** the bed - thus it officially started the summer of drafting Hall, with the first year ending at the end of the first season Hall played). IMO, year 3 means challenging for a playoff spot, maybe squeaking in or maybe falling short. Currently. we are in the hunt, and as long as we stay close to this relative area in the standings (between 10-5), I believe things are going quite well. Do we have a lot of things we need to improve on? Yes. Is there a lot of work still needed to be done - roster moves, replacing useless vets with more productive vets (not just scoring capacity)? Yes. Have we seen no progress in the past 2 seasons? No. There have been a lot of positives, but this is a process, and we have seen signs that this will/can end up being amazing. Panic when there are no positive signs, otherwise relax, stay critical, but relax.

Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Golden question, which nobody will admit that they have no idea.
What are your idea's?

Do you have any that would care to share?

I dont think Ive seen one in five years.

Hopefully you will surprise me!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Oh, so YOU are the guy watching the games...I was wondering who that guy was.

We're watching the same games, and the notion that Nick Schultz must play perfect defensive hockey every second he is on the ice to not be considered a "substantial disappointment" is beyond laughable.

You "opinion" screams butt-hurt over a player you liked getting traded.
Let me see if I can process this..................Beerfish likes Gilbert, but hates Horcoff?

He is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote