HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
I hope that these sorts of things don't keep you up at night...
No, i usually drink myself to sleep at about 8:30.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
No, i usually drink myself to sleep at about 8:30.
Much more efficient!! Nice going.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
hey i'm doing what you do. quote one thing and ignore the rest.
Que? Care to provide an example of where i'm ignoring that we're NOT in a rebuild? Ignoring the rest of what? Are we still talking about the Oilers being in a 5-6 year rebuild , and the examples i provided. Or are we talking about the lack of proof for your stance?

Care to buck up for your own stance flashy? Provide some concrete proof maybe? Prove to me that the Oilers aren't in a rebuild.

I await your illumination...

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
McOilers4cup
Finally

vCash: 400
@OilersNation: "Obviously finishing in last is tough. The trick is to tell your bosses you meant to do it all along" -Tambellini on Howson #FakeQuotes #BM

McOilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I remember Katz saying that we wouldn't be there the following year. I've never heard management say we're in a 5 year rebuild.

I think people like to assume there is/was some master plan.
Lowe and Tambellini both said it numerous times. Believe it if you want, its hard to find audio clips with those quotes though.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Honestly, I think the team just sucked. If there was an actual directive then the draft picks should be stripped plain and simple. No teams should actually be encouraged to put a ****** product, that was the whole point Of the cap.

I'm but gonna comment on the Lowe thing because its hearsay at this point. I asked for the "5 year plan", that supposedly in action when in reality Tamby just keeps landing players because he has no idea on how to build a team.
Its not hearsay. Everyone here but you seems to remember the interview from Lowe. Perhaps you, not the rest of HFOil, are in the wrong here.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Boys View Post
He strikes me as a passive , re active operator , one that isnt particularly risk - averse. In a sense he has been the right type of GM to pull off a long painful re stocking of talent via the draft. A more proactive GM would have basically gone insane!!

The real problem is now and the future - being the type of GM that he has been so far isnt going to be the type (IMO) to go out and get the necessary pieces to complete the line up, so that we dont just make the playoff, but that we are contenders.
not saying he is not the GM to make us a contender, but I pretty much agree with this. he deserves credit for convincing management/ownership to blow it up and start over,.. slowly. his best move may prove to be hiring Krueger.

He has yet to make a deal inwhich we see 2 or 3 assets going out, for 1 muchly needed piece. You might say that last year and this year were the only years inwhich you would want to do that anyways, so he gets abit of a break as it hasn't really been that long.

if he is unwilling to give up alot to get what you need, then, i agree, he is not the GM to take them to the top.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM
KCC

As I said in another post, it's more about hard work than anything. They don't battle enough on a consistent basis. When they do decide to show up and play, they can hang with any team in this league. The problem is, they don't. If they worked their tails off night in and night out they wouldn't get outshot and outmatched most nights. Hard work goes a long way.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Que? Care to provide an example of where i'm ignoring that we're NOT in a rebuild? Ignoring the rest of what? Are we still talking about the Oilers being in a 5-6 year rebuild , and the examples i provided. Or are we talking about the lack of proof for your stance?

Care to buck up for your own stance flashy? Provide some concrete proof maybe? Prove to me that the Oilers aren't in a rebuild.

I await your illumination...
You said 5 year rebuild and I asked you to point to a quote where management said this.

They never said that, you said that. I never said they we're not in a rebuild, I said there was no secret plan initiated 3 years ago like some people claim.

The team just sucked and management has clearly gotten a massive benefit from its ineptitude.

Last edited by flashy: 02-13-2013 at 12:30 AM.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Its not hearsay. Everyone here but you seems to remember the interview from Lowe. Perhaps you, not the rest of HFOil, are in the wrong here.
Find a quote or video then.

Saying I remember or they remember doesn't prove jack ****.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Our vaunted, alleged, shutdown defender, N Schultz just getting absolutely owned on the 4th Dallas goal tonight.

jebus just bend over and take it..

Not sure what people ever saw in this guy. Not particularly strong, not good at clearing net, and just gets beat right to the net looking completely helpless.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Our vaunted, alleged, shutdown defender, N Schultz just getting absolutely owned on the 4th Dallas goal tonight.

jebus just bend over and take it..

Not sure what people ever saw in this guy. Not particularly strong, not good at clearing net, and just gets beat right to the net looking completely helpless.
-3 on the night, as I was saying in the other thread in which everyone and their dog went ballistic when i said the guy was overrated for a defensive shut down guy. He has zero offense, he is not really physical, he is not a great out of the zone passer.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Bangers

Anyone that thinks the Oilers don't have a plan isn't really paying attention.

Look at the way Tambellini has built the farm system - it's gone from the Oilers not having one to the Oilers implementing a Pep Guardiola-style "hawks and doves" farm team in OKC (basically, signing veterans for the minor-league squad to mentor the developmental players, while not giving the younger players "free ice-time" so that they have to compete for spots).

Also, I think the Oilers' idea to buy the Oil Kings was a great idea - not only do they get inside information to junior players that a lot of scouts don't have access to, they tend to trade for the team's draft picks so that they can get them playing together at a younger age, which builds a lot of loyalty to the team/city and also allows the team to identify earlier on which players might have developmental "issues."

Like I said earlier, I don't agree with everything Tambellini has done, but the organization clearly has a plan.

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Anyone that thinks the Oilers don't have a plan isn't really paying attention.

Look at the way Tambellini has built the farm system - it's gone from the Oilers not having one to the Oilers implementing a Pep Guardiola-style "hawks and doves" farm team in OKC (basically, signing veterans for the minor-league squad to mentor the developmental players, while not giving the younger players "free ice-time" so that they have to compete for spots).

Also, I think the Oilers' idea to buy the Oil Kings was a great idea - not only do they get inside information to junior players that a lot of scouts don't have access to, they tend to trade for the team's draft picks so that they can get them playing together at a younger age, which builds a lot of loyalty to the team/city and also allows the team to identify earlier on which players might have developmental "issues."

Like I said earlier, I don't agree with everything Tambellini has done, but the organization clearly has a plan.
I agree he has a plan. From what I've seen he's modelling this rebuild after similar ones in Columbus, Florida and NYI.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Bangers

Quote:
I agree he has a plan. From what I've seen he's modelling this rebuild after similar ones in Columbus, Florida and NYI.
Remind me then, when did the Panthers, Islanders or Jackets buy a junior franchise? Trade for their picks so that they could play for their junior franchise?

Instead of spouting rhetoric and using examples that are in no way relevant to peoples' points, sometimes it's good to actually read what people post

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Agent Zero

This rebuild is a long and painful process but I'm sure it will work out. People are worrying about size in our top 6. Hartski will fill that void in a couple years as he fills outs.

I think this offseason is about targeting high end forwards and dman so next year we are talking about playoffs at the very least. We need a summer like the Wild had. Perry and not sure what dman are available

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Your golden boy was a minus again, replacement

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
-3 on the night, as I was saying in the other thread in which everyone and their dog went ballistic when i said the guy was overrated for a defensive shut down guy. He has zero offense, he is not really physical, he is not a great out of the zone passer.
I'm hard pressed to think of anything he actually does well. I keep asking people what they think his skill attributes are and they can't tell me. Or they mutter shutdown D!!! and if you can't see that yer blind. Or something like that.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
You forgot Hotlanta. But that worked out well, kinda, for Winnipeg.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So we just replaced Gilbert with a Gilbert clone that makes less money.

Oh well.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:24 AM
booyakasha
rated R superstar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Lowe and Tambellini both said it numerous times. Believe it if you want, its hard to find audio clips with those quotes though.
I believe Lowe said along the lines of "5 - 7 years"...
I remember reading most of HFOil fully on board with this to happen...we are in year 3 of this "proper rebuild", as I recall it being called, and the pitchforks are out, the knives are being sharpened, and the villagers are frothing at the mouth for blood....
Tambo is, from what I can gather, following the blue print most of this board wanted him to take, and are now going full on ape ****.

booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Your golden boy was a minus again, replacement
Kind of specious, and bad timing post on your part.

N Schultz was -3 tonight in a game where the difference in score was three goals and the opponent scored 4 goals. That kinda **** takes effort

Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Kind of specious, and bad timing post on your part.

N Schultz was -3 tonight in a game where the difference in score was three goals and the opponent scored 4 goals. That kinda **** takes effort
I know, I'm just saying that Gilbert didn't have a great night either.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I know, I'm just saying that Gilbert didn't have a great night either.
Its all going to hell everywhere...

Old
02-13-2013, 01:37 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Its all going to hell everywhere...
I think we can both agree that this division sucks