Bruins one of the top 5 in the east

Old
02-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorr04 View Post
That brings a tear to my eye.
Whammer was probably holding one of their shoes.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Media outlets look for stories: coaching changes, big free agent acquisitions, unhappy stars asking for trades, stars injured or returning from injuries, scoring records, scandals (rare enough in hockey), and so on. If you're looking for stories, our B's offer slim pickings. This is the same core of players (Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, etc) and the same coach that were knocking on the door for several seasons and finally broke through in 2011. This is the same old team, with the same identity (hard working, hard hitting, good on the boards, solid in the back), the same "roll four lines" approach. We're faster than we used to be, but most of that speed was added two seasons ago. Oh yeah, and we've managed to cultivate a stubborn suckitude on the power play for half a decade now.

In short, we're sort of just there.

Don't kid yourself: everyone in the league, fans, players and media, are highly aware of the B's. We're always at least in their peripheral vision. Original 6 team, highly recognized franchise, far-flung fanbase (esp. in Canada), hard-to-play-against, and playoff threat. But the B's are a fixture, part of the furniture... you don't really need to talk about them because everyone pretty much knows what they stand for and who they are. I don't think the B's are "boring" as hockey spectacle, per se (the 'Nucks brought out the most crowd-pleasing aspects of the B's character, I would argue), but what are you going to say about them within a two minute segment before the commercial break? "That Dougie Hamilton is going to be a star in the NHL someday". Yeah you can say that, but how many times?

The flip-side to this is that, while the B's do not provide storylines for the national media, the continuity from season to season provides us the hardcore fans with a great sense of familiarity with our team that, IMO, deepens our support, and increases the intensity (for me at least) with which we watch each shift. I don't know about you, but I watch these guys as though they were my sons, keeping close track of their highs and lows, keenly alert to when they're in the "zone", and triply thrilled when a guy breaks a slump. But this is not the stuff of which national stories are made. It's the stuff we here obsess about, just like a parent obsesses over the photos from the family vacation, the same photos that make friends' eyes glaze over.

It's actually just the way I like it (okay, minus the PP).
Agreed with all of the above, and would only add that some of it might also have to do with the margin of victories and the total goals scored. The Bruins haven't really crushed anybody along the way to their excellent record, and they are 15th in the league in goals per game. I remember in November/December 2011 when they were putting up similar W-L numbers, but with higher goal totals and bigger margins of victory...and the media was gushing over them.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:34 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

The Bruins just know how to win. The media just like to talk about certain teams and players because of their flash even when they are not the winning pedigree. Look at that team in Anaheim, they have flashy players like Perry and Ryan which are overexposed in some places and they just barely make the playoffs every year. Lets not even go into that team up in Toronto.

TheSeguinEra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Easily top 3. I like that the media doesn't give us all the attention of the Rangers and Penguins.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:46 AM
ODAAT

I could care less about this team receiving attention/accolades and I suspect the players/coaches don`t either. As other`s suggested, this team gets mentioned plenty enough already.

Liked the game against the Sabres, still think that the Game 1 full 60 mins against the Rags was the best this team has played

I don`t think this team gets short changed in the respect column, there`s a reason why so many teams have loaded up on toughness or tried to, and it isn`t cuz the Sabres set the bar

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Yet they're never talked about it seems. I almost always watch NHL tonight and a few other hockey shows on NHL network and they're not talked about a lot. Are the Bruins not as a sexy team to talk about say as the rangers or penguins? Or The Bruins doing as well as most people expected?
I have been travelling since the season began, I signed up for gamecenter so I could watch games on my laptop while I am travelling but so far I have only been able to watch 4 games that way because the other 6 were on NHL network or the NBC sports network. 60% of their games have been national games so far. I can tell you with absolute certainty that this year they are on National television at least double the amount they were on a few years ago. I am pretty sure they have been nationally televised as much as anyone else, even the Penguins.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote