HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Old
02-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Bomber0104

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
No interest in having a passenger like Semin on a developing team, especially if the risk of a long-term contract was involved. I'd much rather live with the consequences of 2 years or less of Connolly.
Ya but Semin actually only signed a one year deal so in reality we could have just used the Connolly and Lombardi money on Semin who has been playing electrifying hockey. Could of sparked a fire in Grabovski and Kulemin who speak Russian or gelled nicely with skilled players like Kadri and Frattin...either option would have worked well IMO

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Ya but Semin actually only signed a one year deal so in reality we could have just used the Connolly and Lombardi money on Semin who has been playing electrifying hockey. Could of sparked a fire in Grabovski and Kulemin who speak Russian or gelled nicely with skilled players like Kadri and Frattin...either option would have worked well IMO
10 pts in 14 games is okay but it ain't electrifying, even with the really nice assist he had tonight.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
10 pts in 14 games is okay but it ain't electrifying, even with the really nice assist he had tonight.
He plays a pretty good style that would work well with players like Kulemin, Kadri, and Frattin who have good to great puck possession ability. Also gives us a lethal PP weapon.

But instead we are paying for Armstrong, Connolly, and Lombardi for nothing. Komisarek too.

Liles was a healthy scratch tonight, as well.

Last edited by Bomber0104: 02-21-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Adding more players who have done nothing for a lot of money/capspace
Old
02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

His poor kids. Better Anaheim than say Cbj.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
But instead we are paying for Armstrong, Connolly, and Lombardi for nothing.
.....which hasn't hurt us at all so far, so that's been a moot point.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
.....which hasn't hurt us at all so far, so that's been a moot point.
I guess I'll just repeat what I said three posts ago, because its obvious you dont understand what Ive been saying...

Quote:
That money on our cap could have been used on guys like Semin and made us a good playoff team but instead its making the Marlies worse.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
I guess I'll just repeat what I said three posts ago, because its obvious you dont understand what Ive been saying...
**** Semin!

The guy gives 50% if you're lucky.

Had the balls to say he was better than Crosby, so where is it? Back it up punk! He has all world talent and a dime-store heart.

LEave him in CAR to his one year deal.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
**** Semin!

The guy gives 50% if you're lucky.

Had the balls to say he was better than Crosby, so where is it? Back it up punk! He has all world talent and a dime-store heart.

LEave him in CAR to his one year deal.
Would have been a nice add for our team.

I'd much rather have him playing with Kadri and Frattin than Macarthur, and would much rather have him playing with Kulie and Grabo than McLement.

And I'd much rather used the money and capspace on Semin than Komisarek, Liles, Armstrong, Lombardi, and Connolly.

Sorry but that's just my preference and Im sure many others would agree.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
I understand perfectly. I'm just not interested in someone who has the reputation of being a part-time player and a full-time cancer.

Clearly nobody wanted to sign Semin long-term for a reason, and it's obvious Burke, and now Nonis, weren't/aren't interested in short-term answers based on where the Leafs are in their development.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
I understand perfectly. I'm just not interested in someone who has the reputation of being a part-time player and a full-time cancer.

Clearly nobody wanted to sign Semin long-term for a reason, and it's obvious Burke, and now Nonis, weren't/aren't interested in short-term answers based on where the Leafs are in their development.
But you just said Tim Connolly was a short term answer. You also acknowledge he was a failed short term answer.

So why can't we have a short term answer that is much better and gives our team an edge every night?

I don't understand why this rule applies to the guys Burke signed but not to ones that were signed by other GMs around the league

Old
02-21-2013, 11:12 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
But you just said Tim Connolly was a short term answer. You also acknowledge he was a failed short term answer.

So why can't we have a short term answer that is much better and gives our team an edge every night?

I don't understand why this rule applies to the guys Burke signed but not to ones that were signed by other GMs around the league
I wouldn't have signed Connolly, but I'm really glad we didn't touch a cancer like Semin for $7M (which we clearly were never going to do anyway). Connolly couldn't do it on the ice as it turned out, but at least he never had the potential to be also be a negative in the room. Given the two options, Connolly for 2 years @ $9 was far less of a risk than Semin for one year @ $7 IMO.

Team building is putting together the best 23 players, not the 23 best players.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
I wouldn't have signed Connolly, but I'm really glad we didn't touch a cancer like Semin for $7M (which we clearly were never going to do anyway). Connolly couldn't do it on the ice as it turned out, but at least he never had the potential to be also be a negative in the room.
That doesn't even make sense. First of all since Semin by every account has been a great teammate...and second because the game occurs on the ice not where the players dress. And Semin is as electrifying a player as Kessel is on any night.

Quote:
Given the two options, Connolly for 2 years @ $9 was far less of a risk than Semin for one year @ $7 IMO.
Again not the case since two years is twice the term and risk.

Quote:
Team building is putting together the best 23 players, not the 23 best players.
This is just semantics at this point.

Best 23 players means the same thing as the 23 best players. Jumbling words around doesnt change the meaning.

There is nothing in the world that suggests paying Colby Armstrong to play on another team , Connolly in the Marlies, and Komisarek in the pressbox is the "better" option than playing Semin, for example, with Kadri/Frattin or Kulemin/Grabo.

And if you really have this nonsensical hate for Semin, I might also mention that there have been plenty of players signed by other teams that have been vastly better than the aforementioned disastrous signings have been here in Toronto.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:25 PM
TheProspector

The garbage about Semin's defensive or work effort is just that. Disappointed we didn't pick him up, as he definitely could have been an upgrade to a guy like MacArthur.

Anyway, back to Burke - this team is winning on his players. Scrivens, Bozak, Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Kadri. And his coach.

This is the team he promised us 4 years ago.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
The garbage about Semin's defensive or work effort is just that. Disappointed we didn't pick him up, as he definitely could have been an upgrade to a guy like MacArthur.

Anyway, back to Burke - this team is winning on his players. Scrivens, Bozak, Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Kadri. And his coach.

This is the team he promised us 4 years ago.
Seems to be a lot of discrimination against the guy, IMO.

Very underrated player and a solid addition to any team in the league.

That's why he got $7 million this year . lol

Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 AM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
This is just semantics at this point.

Best 23 players means the same thing as the 23 best players. Jumbling words around doesnt change the meaning.
There is a clear distinction, but I can't really help you if you don't understand it.

Quote:
That's why he got $7 million this year . lol
No doubt he's got talent, but he only got one year. None of the league's heavyweights wanted him even for a year, and no one wanted him multi-year. We'll see this summer whether or not he can translate this into a long-term contract under next season's $64M cap.

If Phil "as exciting as Semin" Kessel was a free agent last summer, would he have received multiple multi-year offers, or a one-year offer from one team?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
There is a clear distinction, but I can't really help you if you don't understand it.
Please explain the difference between placing the word best on either side of the word 23 makes the meaning any different.

And how it applies to Armstrong, Komisarek, Lombardi, and Connolly in relation to Alex Semin.

Would love to hear it.

Quote:
No doubt he's got talent, but he only got one year. None of the league's heavyweights wanted him even for a year, and no one wanted him multi-year. We'll see this summer whether or not he can translate this into a long-term contract under next season's $64M cap.

If Phil "as exciting as Semin" Kessel was a free agent last summer, would he have received multiple multi-year offers, or a one-year offer from one team?
$7 million is a high cap hit to take for many teams in the NHL..

That's why the Carolina Hurricanes got him. Because they paid the most.

There isn't much of a difference between Semin and Kessel really at all.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:32 AM
peety16

Kessel is faster but Semin has a better shot, both are pretty good at what they do

peety16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
I hate the guy personally, but the Van Riemsdyk deal is looking like absolute highway robbery at this point.

Like him or not, this is still his team. He built it from the ground up and it's now sitting in a playoff position. Firing him this early was a disaster. He should have been given this season at the very least.
Burke had built 3 very solid teams and hasn't gotten an ounce of credit for any of them from his detractors.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Honestly Burke's biggest mistake in Toronto was not firing Ron Wilson sooner. I dont care that he gave him the extension because he fired him before it kicked in and MLSE could afford it. But Wilson should have been fired sooner. Clearly it wasn't working with him and just about everyone but Burke could see that.

Really tho it had to be a tough situation with Wilson being his best friend.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Burke had built 3 very solid teams and hasn't gotten an ounce of credit for any of them from his detractors.
Don't you know Burke didn't build the Ducks. It was all Murray.

Adding all 6 of the starting Dmen and more than half of the forwards isnt enough of the team to deserve any credit apparently.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Eb
TML

Damien Cox was saying that he thought Burke wouldn't have hired Wilson - since he did inherit him.

I would have to agree with that, strictly because of Burke saying that him and Ron didn't see eye to eye on how the team should play. Then, after inheriting him, his stubbornness did him over. Staying loyal to a friend and continuing thinking that the product on ice wasn't the best, is what screwed himself over royally.

We should all appreciate the pieces he laid down and wish him luck for whatever team he manages in the future!

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:09 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Damien Cox was saying that he thought Burke wouldn't have hired Wilson - since he did inherit him.

I would have to agree with that, strictly because of Burke saying that him and Ron didn't see eye to eye on how the team should play. Then, after inheriting him, his stubbornness did him over. Staying loyal to a friend and continuing thinking that the product on ice wasn't the best, is what screwed himself over royally.

We should all appreciate the pieces he laid down and wish him luck for whatever team he manages in the future!
bunch of crap
i'm sure burke new he was coming here, told the leafs who to hire.
burke did hire wilson as coach of the olympic team, not his type of coach.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Burke was put between a rock and a hard place. Do you fire one of your best buddies or do you risk losing your job? He knew what he was going into when he extended Wilson I think. Makes me respect him a bit more knowing it was possible that he might have been willing to risk his job for a friend.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
darrylsittler27

Hi Brian....

Could I have your scouting report on Doug Hamilton please? You know,the throw in on that Kessel deal with your buddies in Boston.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Would have been a nice add for our team.

I'd much rather have him playing with Kadri and Frattin than Macarthur, and would much rather have him playing with Kulie and Grabo than McLement.

And I'd much rather used the money and capspace on Semin than Komisarek, Liles, Armstrong, Lombardi, and Connolly.

Sorry but that's just my preference and Im sure many others would agree.
I do agree. I didn't want to do anything with semin before, but I think it was more of a culture thing with the caps team (personally think they need culture change). He seems to be a great player and teammate this year with canes.

I still wouldn't give him more then 1-2 years though.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote