HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  #426
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
Burke was put between a rock and a hard place. Do you fire one of your best buddies or do you risk losing your job? He knew what he was going into when he extended Wilson I think. Makes me respect him a bit more knowing it was possible that he might have been willing to risk his job for a friend.
I don't think so. Business is Business, and Personal life is personal life. If Burke wasn't capable to make that difference he had no business accepting the position in the first place.. I get what you were saying but Burke wasn't HIRED to keep his friend on. He was HIRED to make the Toronto Maple Leafs Organization into a winning and competitive place, and he didn't do that.

I would risk my job for a friend - ie: i have to leave work, (and I could get fired), etc. etc. But if you saw your friend stealing and it could cost you your job? do you say/do nothing? If your friends performance could cost you your job, do you just kick back and go, "come what may? Not me. thats when you go, shape up, or ship out, and if that makes me cold well, then, yeah. okay colour me cold.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:06 PM
  #427
summerstorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
I don't think so. Business is Business, and Personal life is personal life. If Burke wasn't capable to make that difference he had no business accepting the position in the first place.. I get what you were saying but Burke wasn't HIRED to keep his friend on. He was HIRED to make the Toronto Maple Leafs Organization into a winning and competitive place, and he didn't do that.

I would risk my job for a friend - ie: i have to leave work, (and I could get fired), etc. etc. But if you saw your friend stealing and it could cost you your job? do you say/do nothing? If your friends performance could cost you your job, do you just kick back and go, "come what may? Not me. thats when you go, shape up, or ship out, and if that makes me cold well, then, yeah. okay colour me cold.

really...this has massive face-palm all over it...hahahaha

summerstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  #428
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,026
vCash: 500
Are we reaping the benefits of Burke's moves now? Yes, I think so, but I also think a lot of what we see on the ice is what Ferguson Jr. did as well. This team isn't just "What Burke Did" and he didn't get to see it through. He was here and in the time he was here, how many playoffs did we make it to? I'm sorry that would be a big fat zero.

I liked the guy, I defended the guy, but at the end of the day, I can acknowledge that while he did some moves to help us out a lot, he did a lot that shot us in the foot.

And if you want to say that's a facepalm, that's fine.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
  #429
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Are we reaping the benefits of Burke's moves now? Yes, I think so, but I also think a lot of what we see on the ice is what Ferguson Jr. did as well. This team isn't just "What Burke Did" and he didn't get to see it through. He was here and in the time he was here, how many playoffs did we make it to? I'm sorry that would be a big fat zero.

I liked the guy, I defended the guy, but at the end of the day, I can acknowledge that while he did some moves to help us out a lot, he did a lot that shot us in the foot.

And if you want to say that's a facepalm, that's fine.
Definite facepalm.

Burke molded this team forhte last 4 years. Now that it is the model he promised us he isn't here to see it. MLSE should be ashamed. Just goes to show it was a personal, business decision and had nothing to do with hockey. Pathetic action by BEll and Rogers.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:18 AM
  #430
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo
 
Daisy Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Definite facepalm.

Burke molded this team for the last 4 years. Now that it is the model he promised us he isn't here to see it. MLSE should be ashamed. Just goes to show it was a personal, business decision and had nothing to do with hockey. Pathetic action by Bell and Rogers.
here you go


Like I said - that's your opinion.

A LOT Of GMs aren't around to see the teams that they've molded together. Dave Tallon I think his name was, pretty built the Hawks up and his finger prints were all over that team, yet he was fired. I've read constantly that you could argue that Burke put a few puzzle pieces together in place when Anaheim won the cup but it was mostly the work of the previous GM before him.


A lot of moves Burke did could be seen as questionable. I am not going to sit and nit pick them, the only one I will ever really wonder about would be why the 1st round pick (Seguin)'s wasn't lottery protected. If that was the deal maker/breaker, I don't know personally what I would do. Nonis said he most likely wouldn't have made that trade, Burke did. A tonne of his decisions are being played out right now on the ice every night. But where's the facepalm in saying that there are also a LOT of fingerprints from JFJ currently impacting the team too?

He made some questionable signings and great trades.

What cost him here was
A: his larger than life personality. (which can be polarizing to say the least)
B: Not firing Wilson sooner.

and I wonder if A would have been ignored if B had happened faster. I don't know a lot of coaches in this league who get contact extensions after having poor poor records like the Leafs had. You can colour it loyalty, you could colour it faith, I'd colour it a wrong move. And you could argue if if it was the Rogers/Bell collation that Cox mentioned in his article, and how Burke should have stayed on for 1/2 the year and then fire him?

Well, okay then. sure, why not do that?
Or. you do it now, get it over with and move on.

Burke came in and promised the moon and it didn't happen And he got fired. Just because we're nearing the moon NOW doesn't negate the fact that we failed to reach here while he was here. And so apparently that's a statement now. Okay - well then away.

I really hope he does well in his interim spot as a pro scout because we know he's going to get a gm job soon.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
  #431
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
The end of the Burke era. Its on Nonis now.Turn the page.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
  #432
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Are we reaping the benefits of Burke's moves now? Yes, I think so, but I also think a lot of what we see on the ice is what Ferguson Jr. did as well. This team isn't just "What Burke Did" and he didn't get to see it through. He was here and in the time he was here, how many playoffs did we make it to? I'm sorry that would be a big fat zero.

I liked the guy, I defended the guy, but at the end of the day, I can acknowledge that while he did some moves to help us out a lot, he did a lot that shot us in the foot.

And if you want to say that's a facepalm, that's fine.
While I agree with you that at the end of the day he didn't get the job done, there really is no arguing that this team is still a LARGE amount his doing. Nearly completely actually.

That being said, there was a perception that this team was not improving under his tenure, and for that a change was needed.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
  #433
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
The end of the Burke era. Its on Nonis now.Turn the page.
well i can still see burke getting his paws on kessel if he becomes a GM and kessel walks here ....all this class act crap is just that ...his memory is a long as an elephants .mark my words he is gonna screw the leafs first chance he gets

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:23 AM
  #434
Leaf_Crazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
people say its Burke's team but one thing Nonis did do is play the deserving guys. if burke was still here connolly would be still up cause of Burke loyal to players and that is his undoing not cutting bait on guys he brought in
The coach picks the team.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:32 AM
  #435
dubey
~manlets~
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
The coach picks the team.
His loyalty to Wilson was his downfall IMO

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:36 AM
  #436
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Some people will defend Burke no matter what. He sucked, he was fired, lets move on...

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  #437
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,539
vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
The coach picks the team.
Yea the coach picks the team but for those who think he'll go against the wishes of the GM are being naive .

It's easy for Nonis to let RC demote/not dress highly paid guys like TC/Komi/JML when they're not directly the his signings but it'll be different once the underperforming guys belong to Nonis .

13 mil dollars of wasted cap space is a disgrace and one of a number of reasons why Burke was a failure here .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:41 AM
  #438
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Definite facepalm.

Burke molded this team forhte last 4 years. Now that it is the model he promised us he isn't here to see it. MLSE should be ashamed. Just goes to show it was a personal, business decision and had nothing to do with hockey. Pathetic action by BEll and Rogers.
Glad BB is gone, i don't want a GM that has me worried what he will do next.

His UFA record was abysmal.

His trade record was 50/50 at best.

His decision making on coaching was horrible.

Lets not overlook that he waisted a lot of ownerships money in the likes of Komi,Con,Wilson,Gust all the while bringing in no PO revenues.


Last edited by Faltorvo: 02-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:51 AM
  #439
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
well i can still see burke getting his paws on kessel if he becomes a GM and kessel walks here ....all this class act crap is just that ...his memory is a long as an elephants .mark my words he is gonna screw the leafs first chance he gets
If he re-signs will you walk instead?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
  #440
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Glad BB is gone, i don't want a GM that has me worried what he will do next.

His UFA record was abysmal.

His trade record was 50/50 at best.

His decision making on coaching was horrible.

Lets not overlook that he waisted a lot of ownerships money in the likes of Komi,Con,Wilson,Gust all the while bringing in no PO revenues.
You don't like Carlyle?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:53 AM
  #441
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Some people will defend Burke no matter what. He sucked, he was fired, lets move on...
The same could be said for his detractors.

Agreed. Lets move on.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  #442
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Some people will defend Burke no matter what. He sucked, he was fired, lets move on...
Yeah..its sad really..defending such a buffoon..I disliked the man from day one but its not like he didn't do anything good. I will never defend his tenure in Toronto....ever..but yes he did improve some aspects of the team while in other aspects he spun the proverbial wheels...

I don't know even why those who love the man think that this team is his and something to be boasting about...the team is far from being complete....Nonis still has a lot of work to do...so far 18 games into a bizarre shortened schedule that starts in January and only against Eastern rivals is not really a good judgement of how good or poor the team is..I would say if they were sucking as bad as the Caps then we would have a definite picture of the team....that they are horrible....but I dont beleive for one second that the Leafs are a better team than the Flyers or the Rangers...because they are not but that is not what the standings show at the moment. I also dont believe that Habs fans should get use to their team sitting atop the Eastern Conference.....I say by the end of 48 games the Leafs and the Habs should be fighting for a playoff spot....The Leafs are in danger of being a 9th place team, IMO going into one of the best drafts in recent memory.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
  #443
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah..its sad really..defending such a buffoon..I disliked the man from day one but its not like he didn't do anything good. I will never defend his tenure in Toronto....ever..but yes he did improve some aspects of the team while in other aspects he spun the proverbial wheels...

I don't know even why those who love the man think that this team is his and something to be boasting about...the team is far from being complete....Nonis still has a lot of work to do...so far 18 games into a bizarre shortened schedule that starts in January and only against Eastern rivals is not really a good judgement of how good or poor the team is..I would say if they were sucking as bad as the Caps then we would have a definite picture of the team....that they are horrible....but I dont beleive for one second that the Leafs are a better team than the Flyers or the Rangers...because they are not but that is not what the standings show at the moment. I also dont believe that Habs fans should get use to their team sitting atop the Eastern Conference.....I say by the end of 48 games the Leafs and the Habs should be fighting for a playoff spot....The Leafs are in danger of being a 9th place team, IMO going into one of the best drafts in recent memory.
As if on queue

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:05 AM
  #444
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
You don't like Carlyle?
Carlyle was one of Burke's better moves, I believe...too bad it took him 4 years to do it.
One can really see the difference a coach with a defense first approach can accomplish with limited talent. Thats why teams like Phoenix find some success....no money....limitied talent but a coach who knows what he is doing. One can certainly give Kudos for the JVR acquisition...again..4 years into his tenure to get a big top 6 forward who can be dominant down low and in front of the net. But one has to realize for every JVR Burke brought in...there is a Komi or a JML....mediocre to bad players on awful contracts.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:06 AM
  #445
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
As if on queue
Didnt realize only the opinions of Burke fanboys matter...even when the fathead is long gone.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:15 AM
  #446
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Didnt realize only the opinions of Burke fanboys matter...even when the fathead is long gone.
Nah, just nothing really left to say. It's all been said, over and over an over...

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:17 AM
  #447
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Carlyle was one of Burke's better moves, I believe...too bad it took him 4 years to do it.
One can really see the difference a coach with a defense first approach can accomplish with limited talent. Thats why teams like Phoenix find some success....no money....limitied talent but a coach who knows what he is doing. One can certainly give Kudos for the JVR acquisition...again..4 years into his tenure to get a big top 6 forward who can be dominant down low and in front of the net. But one has to realize for every JVR Burke brought in...there is a Komi or a JML....mediocre to bad players on awful contracts.
Liles contract is fine.

Although I agree, much like every GM in the history of hockey, Burke made some mistakes and did some good.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:23 AM
  #448
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Nah, just nothing really left to say. It's all been said, over and over an over...
I dont disagree...I am already tired of hearing what a masterful job Burke did here.....really? Is that why he is on the outside looking in? If Nonis continues to shape the team and in four years the Leafs are actually contender...are we still going to be talking about the loudmouth?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 AM
  #449
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Liles contract is fine.

Although I agree, much like every GM in the history of hockey, Burke made some mistakes and did some good.
No its not..he sucks. Small, offensive defenseman not particularly strong in his own zone..how many types of these players does one team need? Why is he sitting in the pressbox? He is one of those contracts that will be tough to move, IMO especially while he isnt even playing. If Reilly and Gardiner are good to go next year...what purpose does Liles serve?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  #450
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I dont disagree...I am already tired of hearing what a masterful job Burke did here.....really? Is that why he is on the outside looking in? If Nonis continues to shape the team and in four years the Leafs are actually contender...are we still going to be talking about the loudmouth?
If by continue you mean starts, cause he ain't done nothing yet.

And not everyone who points out the good he's done is singing his praises. Giving credit where credit is due is ok in my book.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.