HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Thread - March 2013

Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Winreims

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I don't believe the fans had an impact on Burkes deciding to fire his BFF . Burke is a stubborn ***** and i believe the owners had enough with Burke backing his buddy and forced him to fire him . Maybe the chants motivated the owners to get there heads out of there butts and actually pay attention to what was going on with the team but i still believe Burke would have kept him at least until the end of season if the choice was left to him.
I hope you're right and it was upper management that forced Burke's hand on that one. Shows that they know SOMETHING about running an NHL team.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:58 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
I had to take a look at hotpaws recent posts since it seems he only posts on threads with Brian Burke in the thread title. Hilarious, mostly all deal with Brian Burke. Is infatuation with the guy is weird.

Got a good laugh at his predictions for the scores of the games too. Chose the opponents to win every time. Reverse psychology perhaps?
I usually post in many different threads but i due appreciate your interest in my posting history .

I've been choosing the opposing team because it seems the Leafs play better when i don't choose them to win .

As far as Burke goes i'm just thrilled the ***** is gone and i don't try to hide that fact . If your such a huge fan of the guy then you can follow him to his next team if he ever gets another job .

Cheers

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:06 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
I hope you're right and it was upper management that forced Burke's hand on that one. Shows that they know SOMETHING about running an NHL team.
I have no inside information but knowing the type of person Burke is and how he stated many times he didn't believe in firing a coach mid season i find it hard to believe fans chanting would have influenced him on firing his buddy . He didn't fire him when we finished 29th and he didn't fire him when the fans were tossing waffles and it also wasn't the first time the fans chanted to fire Wilson so that kind of leads me to believe someone higher up may have had enough .

Anyway just specualtion on my part but regardless the reason i'm just glad he was finally let go .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Krazy

Personally I don't really care that Burke got fired, especially because nonis seems to be staying the course. I definitely like a lot of what he did, collecting a high volume of quality youth who have proven that they can play in the league. Overall I thought he didn't get enough for Kubina but I wanted Armstrong so I can't really complain. I personally wanted him to trade likes and Mac at the deadline last year but who knows if there was a market after the concussion and Mac could be traded this year.

Overall the man was definitely more right than wrong.

He said he thought Reiner was the real deal. So far so good but too early. He added dion and lupus for nothing. I thought he got way too much folk for ridiculous things like

Getting Kadri instead of schenn for tankers and mps for not

Getting jvr for other schenn

Believing that Kessel is a top flight talent

The Morgan Reilly pick

Overall I think Burke has a good philosophy and was right much more than wrong.

I would take Kessel jvr gardiner and Biggs over seguin Luke Brayden and Hamilton any day.

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Urban Explorer*

You guys ever wonder if maybe Burke still really is the GM? And his "firing" was just a way to get the media away from Burke? Maybe bellgers think he is a smart mind, but they just want to keep him away from "their corporate image"? The fact that they don't replace any of Burke's other staff doesn't hurt this theory.

[/conspiracy theory]

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Do the Flyers even have anyone from America on their team?
Sestito and Couturier but Couts played for Canada so he's Canadian property.

Probably came to see how JVR is doing in the blue and white.

02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
keonsbitterness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
You guys ever wonder if maybe Burke still really is the GM? And his "firing" was just a way to get the media away from Burke? Maybe bellgers think he is a smart mind, but they just want to keep him away from "their corporate image"? The fact that they don't replace any of Burke's other staff doesn't hurt this theory.

[/conspiracy theory]
Burke's ego would never go along with pretending to not be in charge. And I doubt anyone would ever consent to being in that kind of a scam. Too many people would have to keep quiet forever, and sooner or later the truth would come out, resulting in mass chaos.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonsbitterness View Post
Burke's ego would never go along with pretending to not be in charge. And I doubt anyone would ever consent to being in that kind of a scam. Too many people would have to keep quiet forever, and sooner or later the truth would come out, resulting in mass chaos.
Maybe the Leafs will win the cup and then Phaneuf will pass the cup to a hooded man. The man will pull off his hood and it will be Burke!

ok yes I've been drinking

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
phillipmike

Quote:
Maybe the Leafs will win the cup and then Phaneuf will pass the cup to a hooded man. The man will pull off his hood and it will be Burke!

ok yes I've been drinking
Possibly the funniest post I see in the Leaf board.

phillipmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
BillDerlago
Mustache man

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
Possibly the funniest post I see in the Leaf board.
Lol which part, Leafs winning the cup or the hooded man?

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Deebo

For those asking if Burke would have trade Lombardi, Don Maloney was on TSN radio the day after the trade and said that he was talking about the deal with Burke before the firing.

It sounded the like it was going to happen with or without Burke.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
For those asking if Burke would have trade Lombardi, Don Maloney was on TSN radio the day after the trade and said that he was talking about the deal with Burke before the firing.

There's no reason to believe that any of the moves that happened in the days following his dismissal wouldn't have happened anyway.

I wish they would have shown him on the screen last night so the fans could have shown their appreciation for the work he did.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

There's no reason to think anything that is happening right now or has in the recent past wasn't a Burke move. Nonis hasn't been in charge long enough to put his own stamp on the team.

So if the team has a good season, Burke should get considerable credit...after all it will be because James Reimer was, in fact, the Real Deal...his golden boy Frattin is finally looking like a real player, the team looks to have added a decent amount of toughness, and the JVR trade is also providing excellent early returns.

If I'm Brian Burke I'm smiling right now. Still a ways to go of course, and we all know the team looked pretty good for a chunk of last year too...but if there are successes here in the first 10-15 games, Burke deserves full credit.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Pierre Gotye

Burke got blamed for rushing a team's re-build(Kessel trade) then for standing pat, being patient and making a whole bunch of moves to build around youth, which didn't progress quickly enough, while he was around.

Now that he's out, what exactly has changed? Not much other than him vs. the media. The rest of the club is essentially the same, I still think he deserves a ton of credit. It wasn't his fault that Gustavsson couldn't deliver, and Gionta took out Reimer.

MLSE and Rogers wanted(as they always do) to have it both ways.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Personally I don't really care that Burke got fired, especially because nonis seems to be staying the course. I definitely like a lot of what he did, collecting a high volume of quality youth who have proven that they can play in the league. Overall I thought he didn't get enough for Kubina but I wanted Armstrong so I can't really complain. I personally wanted him to trade likes and Mac at the deadline last year but who knows if there was a market after the concussion and Mac could be traded this year.

Overall the man was definitely more right than wrong.

He said he thought Reiner was the real deal. So far so good but too early. He added dion and lupus for nothing. I thought he got way too much folk for ridiculous things like

Getting Kadri instead of schenn for tankers and mps for not

Getting jvr for other schenn

Believing that Kessel is a top flight talent

The Morgan Reilly pick

Overall I think Burke has a good philosophy and was right much more than wrong.

I would take Kessel jvr gardiner and Biggs over seguin Luke Brayden and Hamilton any day.
I don't agree with your sentiment that we got DP for nothing.

Some of those players would have brought back a nice package of picks, of that i have no doubt.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:

[/conspiracy theory]
TBH, thats exactly what i am starting to think also, would i be shocked if this was a wizard of OZ move?

NOPE!

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post

The move i don't believe would have happened tho is Con in the AHL.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
BillDerlago
Mustache man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I don't agree with your sentiment that we got DP for nothing.

Some of those players would have brought back a nice package of picks, of that i have no doubt.
While its true we sold high on Matt Stajan and Ian White, Hagman and Mayers would have got us virtually nothing. The Dion trade still boggles my mind

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Eb
Give Mitch the C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I usually post in many different threads but i due appreciate your interest in my posting history .

I've been choosing the opposing team because it seems the Leafs play better when i don't choose them to win .

As far as Burke goes i'm just thrilled the ***** is gone and i don't try to hide that fact . If your such a huge fan of the guy then you can follow him to his next team if he ever gets another job .

Cheers
Just checked to see if my assumption was right, that you only post about BB, and for the most part it was.

I never said I was a huge fan. I just found it funny. Carry along.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
ACC1224
Hate the Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
It was Burke saving his buddy from further embearassment, simple as that.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
There's no reason to believe that any of the moves that happened in the days following his dismissal wouldn't have happened anyway.

I wish they would have shown him on the screen last night so the fans could have shown their appreciation for the work he did.
Exactly, I think it would be difficult to separate the work done by Nonis and Burke.

From stories we've heard Nonis was in on or the lead of the Phaneuf deal, and Burke was probably involved in the most recent deals.

Burke always gave credit to his subordinates and predecessors.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
While its true we sold high on Matt Stajan and Ian White, Hagman and Mayers would have got us virtually nothing. The Dion trade still boggles my mind
Oh i utterly disagree about Hagmen.

He potted 22g+20a in only 65 games(27 g pace) the previous season.While going only -5

And had 20g +13 a in only 55 games(29g pace)only -3 when the trade happened , he potted 27g his last season in Calg.

Those are some very respectable numbers.

You would get a good return for a player who had averaged 27g a season for 3 straight years. Of that i have no doubt.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Oh i utterly disagree about Hagmen.

He potted 22g+20a in only 65 games(27 g pace) the previous season.While going only -5

And had 20g +13 a in only 55 games(29g pace)only -3 when the trade happened , he potted 27g his last season in Calg.

Those are some very respectable numbers.
I was not high on White, but that wasn't the majority of sentiment on this board. Many posters here loved White.

It was a good deal for Toronto, but I'm not as high on Phaneuf as many here either so for me it was just a good deal.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Faltorvo

I know that was ACC123 giving the Illuminati signs behind the bench last night.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I was not high on White, but that wasn't the majority of sentiment on this board. Many posters here loved White.

It was a good deal for Toronto, but I'm not as high on Phaneuf as many here either so for me it was just a good deal.
I'll feel better about the deal when i see what DP signs for and if Ashton turns into anything.

Can say that i'm actually a little bit on the other side of that trade, i firmly believe those 4 would have brought back a pretty solid cache of pics/prospects. I'd say i'm about 45% happy about the trade.