HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

James Reimer - Off IR, will backup against Habs.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Hotlanta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Will Miss

Away Carolina Thursday 14th.
Home Ottawa Saturday 16th.
Away Florida Monday 18th.
Away Tampa Bay Tuesday 19th.

Should Return

Home Buffalo Thursday 21st.

He should only miss 4 games and I think Scrivens, should be able to hold the fort that long.
FTFY Buds

Give Rynnas the start against Florida and we are good to go. Should be able to handle his own after 5 days of practise with the team, understanding the system.

I also pray to God that Scrivens stays in his net. I was at the game last night, and he makes your heart stop when he goes to play the puck.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
sangreale

LOL. "Minimum" 1 week sounds like a good entrance strategy when entering discussion for a trade. Always deal from the position of strength I say. Lets be real on this.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Yeh, didn't he have a mild case of whiplash last year? Excuse me if I don't believe a word the Leafs say

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Winnipeg is boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
FTFY Buds

Give Rynnas the start against Florida and we are good to go. Should be able to handle his own after 5 days of practise with the team, understanding the system.

I also pray to God that Scrivens stays in his net. I was at the game last night, and he makes your heart stop when he goes to play the puck.
Yeah Florida looks to be the weakest of those 4 opponents so if Rynass is getting a start, it would be nice to give him Florida on the road. With the way these things go, I imagine Reimer will miss more than one week, so here's hoping Scrivens can hold the fort. He lacks that calming presence that Reimer has had lately, which while it's hard on our hearts, is fine as long as he stops pucks.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Parkdale
In Reimer We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Will Miss

Away Carolina Thursday 14th.
Home Ottawa Saturday 16th.
Away Florida Monday 18th.
Away Tampa Bay Tuesday 19th.

Should Return

Home Buffalo Wednesday 21st.

He should only miss 4 games and I think Scrivens, should be able to hold the fort that long.
Hoping Reimer is back asap....BUT trusting that will be when he is FULLY recovered. Rather be cautious than aggressive with this. This is opportune showcase time for Scrivens.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

4 loses and we could be back to last year when riemer got hurt, going over the cliff.
hope not

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
4 loses and we could be back to last year when riemer got hurt, going over the cliff.
hope not
Have some faith in Scrivens Cup 67. Come on man.

02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
hope not
i think having last years collapse experience is a great advantage to the leafs, it will keep them level headed during the highs and the lows

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
12345*

This is actually very good news. I'd rather it be a knee than a groin.

Groin injuries are career changing injuries. Goalies may never be the same after one.

Knees will be fine.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
You're not a doctor or a professional athlete and everyone heals differently. Plus the report says 'one week minimum' so it could be a bit longer.
I know he's a Habs fan, but what he said was harmless. No need to be so cold for no reason. Congrats on global mod though, it'll be nice to have a Leaf presence on the main board who will actually infract idiot trolls and not one of his own. It's hard to have any discussion about the Leafs on there.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
diceman934

A sprain MCL does not look like how Reimer was acting last night. A week is also a line of BS....he will be out a lot longer than this.

I agree with the thought of trading when we do not appear desperate, however it seems like it is a real possibility that we maybe.....the next 3-5 games will tell.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:25 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Yeh, didn't he have a mild case of whiplash last year? Excuse me if I don't believe a word the Leafs say
Given that this was a postural sprain as opposed to traumatic (someone falling on his knee), likely a Grade 1 MCL sprain.

They left it open because overdramatic Leaf fans like yourself and the media count down the seconds until the timeline they gave you expires and then call them liars. Health care is not precise. These are all general frame works.

You need to understand medicine. Instead of being overly dramatic about the situation, why not read up on MCL injuries and make your own interpretation of the situation instead over blindly following what the team releases say. There is a loss in translation from doctor to team physio to coach and management to media. Everyone but the doctor is essentially clueless and hears only what they can understand, which is typically minimal.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Given that this was a postural sprain as opposed to traumatic (someone falling on his knee), likely a Grade 1 MCL sprain.

They left it open because overdramatic Leaf fans like yourself and the media count down the seconds until the timeline they gave you expires and then call them liars. Health care is not precise. These are all general frame works.

You need to understand medicine. Instead of being overly dramatic about the situation, why not read up on MCL injuries and make your own interpretation of the situation instead over blindly following what the team releases say. There is a loss in translation from doctor to team physio to coach and management to media. Everyone but the doctor is essentially clueless and hears only what they can understand, which is typically minimal.

What is your opinion......you are an person who could at least shed some light based on your knowledge.....you saw him struggling to get up.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:30 PM
kesleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
A sprain MCL does not look like how Reimer was acting last night. A week is also a line of BS....he will be out a lot longer than this.

I agree with the thought of trading when we do not appear desperate, however it seems like it is a real possibility that we maybe.....the next 3-5 games will tell.

Great news otherwise! I was really worried that he might have really hurt himself there, it's quite reasuring that its nothing serious

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
You're not a doctor or a professional athlete and everyone heals differently. Plus the report says 'one week minimum' so it could be a bit longer.
Plus it depends on the extent of the damage. I never got this "he's an athlete" thing. They aren't some bio-engineered superhumans. Yes they are in better shape and have better diets but really it depends on the extent of damage to his knee. Because he has stronger legs and presumably the tendons around his legs then an average joe, he'll heal faster cause they are more in shape but I really hate that saying "they are an athlete" so they have Wolverine style regeneration factors.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
What is your opinion......you are an person who could at least shed some light based on your knowledge.....you saw him struggling to get up.
His struggle to get up is just acute phase pain. While it is concerning to some, it often does not correlate well with the extent of true injury. Given that he has an MCL injury and the relatively low level of energy associated with trauma, I am not particularly concerned about a major injury or disruption. If he got smoked in the side or back of the knee and reacted the way he did, I would be a lot more concerned. No one touched him - it was just a abnormal posture that caused the sprain.

As to how quickly he comes back, it is difficult to say. I'm convinced he probably has a low grade knee injury. However, I don't know his previous medical history with respect to knee injuries. And being a butterfly goalie who spends a lot of time contorting his hips and knees, he needs to be able to do those things pain free and without concern for his health. The residual effects (ie. "feel" and "abnormal sensation") with the knee injury will be the key determinent in when he comes back. The true damage does not concern me.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
His struggle to get up is just acute phase pain. While it is concerning to some, it often does not correlate well with the extent of true injury. Given that he has an MCL injury and the relatively low level of energy associated with trauma, I am not particularly concerned about a major injury or disruption. If he got smoked in the side or back of the knee and reacted the way he did, I would be a lot more concerned. No one touched him - it was just a abnormal posture that caused the sprain.

As to how quickly he comes back, it is difficult to say. I'm convinced he probably has a low grade knee injury. However, I don't know his previous medical history with respect to knee injuries. And being a butterfly goalie who spends a lot of time contorting his hips and knees, he needs to be able to do those things pain free and without concern for his health. The residual effects (ie. "feel" and "abnormal sensation") with the knee injury will be the key determinent in when he comes back. The true damage does not concern me.
Thanks for the reply...an educated opinion is appreciated!

Old
02-12-2013, 04:41 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

My guess based on nothing but a hunch is Reimer will be out 2 weeks.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
SteveV*

OMG this thread and the clowns who are doctors. Calling nurse Betty!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Plus it depends on the extent of the damage. I never got this "he's an athlete" thing. They aren't some bio-engineered superhumans. Yes they are in better shape and have better diets but really it depends on the extent of damage to his knee. Because he has stronger legs and presumably the tendons around his legs then an average joe, he'll heal faster cause they are more in shape but I really hate that saying "they are an athlete" so they have Wolverine style regeneration factors.
The timelines provided the general public and those provided to professional athletes are different because there is a true difference between those two populations - not from a genetic perspective, but one of access to new gen technologies and due to their extreme focus on recovery/rehabilitation.

Things like accelerated functional rehabilitation and technologies like bone stimulators, hyperbaric O2 therapy are things the general population cannot tolerate (due to time constraints and pain) or don't have access to. These concepts can cut healing times to 50%. They aren't described to the general population because they are typically unrealistic for most people due to financial or time contraints.

But there is a true difference in healing time between those population largely due to access and time.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Good news. Glad it's I just a week, looked much worse.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Should I trust the Leafs who said Reimer will only be out about a week.... or should I trust some random fans who say that they only said that because they want to trade for a new goalie?

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
HappyGilmourr

Hockey gods are such dicks oh they have a winning game winning streak going time to end their hope. God damn it. If he's out say 5 games we should be able to go 2-3, 3-2.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:01 PM
daner

I hate to be a downer but I'm reading reports that Kiprusoff has the same if not similar MCL injury. Calgary stated today that he will likely miss an additional two weeks due to the injury. I'm sure many people have speculated already that the 1 week thing with Reimer may be BS, maybe not.

Heres hoping for a speedy recovery and he can return to form when he comes back.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Toque*

Not sure anyone cares....

MCL Knee Ligament Injury Explained:

The Medial Collateral Ligament is the large ligament on the inside of the knee that links the thigh bone and the shin bone. Damage to a ligament is referred to as a sprain, and depending on the severity of the injury it is classified as first, second or third degree:

-A first degree sprain is damage to only a few ligament fibres. (sounds like Reimers)

-A second degree sprain is damage to a more extensive number of ligament fibres, but the ligament remains intact.

-A third degree sprain is a complete rupture of the ligament. Because of the force involved in this injury other structures in the knee, such as the Meniscus (Cartilage) or the Anterior Cruciate Ligament can also be damaged.

source
http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/k...prain_full.php

Toque* is offline   Reply With Quote