HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal a team, other teams love to hate

Old
12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Montreal a team, other teams love to hate

I was just thinking last night, as they brought up the winter classic and the rivalery between Washington and Pittsburgh. Montreal is I think the team with the most rivalries in the NHL today. I think Pittsburgh would be the next closest.

Montreal : Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, I don't know if Washington is really a rivalery just from last years playoffs.

Pittsburgh: Philadelphia, Washington, Detroit, Montreal, Boston(to an extent)

All the other teams I can only think of like:

Vancouver : Chicago, Calgary, Colorado(not as much as it was in the early 00's)

Calgary : Edmonton, Vancouver, Chicago

Chicago: Vancouver, Detroit, Calgary

Is there any other team right now you think has more rivalries or the same. I can only think of Pittsburgh the one team that has as many as us, but like I said I dont know if Boston is that much of a rivalery to Pittsburgh though.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I was just thinking last night, Montreal is I think the team with the most rivalries in the NHL today. I think Pittsburgh would be the next closest.

Montreal : Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Pittsburgh: Philadelphia, Washington, Montreal, Boston(to an extent)

All the other teams I can only think of like:

Vancouver : Chicago, Calgary, Colorado(not as much as it was in the early 00's)

Calgary : Edmonton, Vancouver, Chicago

Chicago: Vancouver, Detroit, Calgary

Is there any other team right now you think has more rivalries or the same. I can only think of Pittsburgh the one team that has as many as us, but like I said I dont know if Boston is that much of a rivalery to Pittsburgh though.
Detroit or Rangers?

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:41 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
Detroit or Rangers?
for whom? Montreal or Pittsburgh. Montreal I don't find have a rivalery with Detroit or New York Rangers in today's NHL.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
for whom? Montreal or Pittsburgh. Montreal I don't find have a rivalery with Detroit or New York Rangers in today's NHL.
You asked about teams with multiple rivalries, not necessarly vs Montreal, right?

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Et le But

I'm not sure I really consider the Pens a rivalry, we have had a good deal of heated series but it's only really relevant when they are elite. I guess there is definitely a rivalry with this current Penguin team considering how well we get in their heads, but the same can be said of Washington.

Philly on the other hand is definitely a rivalry to me, that has been a battle of good vs. evil since the 70s.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Everyone hates the Leafs. I think it's a law or something.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:56 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
You asked about teams with multiple rivalries, not necessarly vs Montreal, right?
ya sorry lol, I thought you meant I missed some in the ones I listed.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
JayBee*

Our two biggest rivals are the Bruins and the Leafs. Philly is getting there but it's not really a rivalry IMO. Pittsburgh is not a rival.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Kriss E

I don't really think we have much of a rivalry with Pittsburgh. We just beat them in the POs.
If every team that eliminates one another in a tight PO series means they're now in a rivalry then every team in the NHL is in a ton of rivalries.

I think we are a tough team to play against, which is why I was laugh when I hear we need more toughness. Toughness isn't what makes you tough to play against, look at the Leafs last year, or even this year, I don't think anybody is scared of playing them.
Then you have a team like ours, with the best fighter being Moen, with small and not so physical players, but I guarantee you nobody takes a game vs us lightly.

But I think our rivalries are only with Boston and Toronto. Philly is becoming a small one because they eliminated us twice out of the past three years, but still, it isn't comparable yet.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Hugo Sham

montreal kind of has a rivalry with ottawa too...and the canes

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't really think we have much of a rivalry with Pittsburgh. We just beat them in the POs.
If every team that eliminates one another in a tight PO series means they're now in a rivalry then every team in the NHL is in a ton of rivalries.

I think we are a tough team to play against, which is why I was laugh when I hear we need more toughness. Toughness isn't what makes you tough to play against, look at the Leafs last year, or even this year, I don't think anybody is scared of playing them.
Then you have a team like ours, with the best fighter being Moen, with small and not so physical players, but I guarantee you nobody takes a game vs us lightly.

But I think our rivalries are only with Boston and Toronto. Philly is becoming a small one because they eliminated us twice out of the past three years, but still, it isn't comparable yet.

I feel like we have always played tough series with Philly. It's nowhere near the rivalry with Boston and Toronto but I think it's legit. But then again everyone in the league hates the Flyers.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Capitano

I like it this way.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
neofury*

Carolina dropped off our radar in recent times but they were very much a team we hated for a really long time. Rivals for sure.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

I would love to see a Montreal vs Boston outdoor game in Montreal.

Me and my buddie who is a Habs fan would fly there, we already made a deal!

Make it happen Bettman.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Pleky Roks

Other teams love to hate the Habs because the Habs have dominated the NHL since the league was created. This is the only decade the Habs haven't won a Stanley Cup and thats just because we had the wrong people as owners and GM's for the last 10 years or more. Rookie coaches out the wazzoo, inexperienced GM's and poor players.

But everybody still hates the Habs because of all the Stanley Cups we own. Its ok though....the Habs hate everybody else in the NHL too so meh!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
ChoseLa

Montreal has a mysitc around it that prevents the huge lot'o hate that the less than mysterious Leafs have.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Nedved

for me for level of hate it's

boston
carolina
toronto
philly

after that, meh. really the last 3 are interchangeable at given times, and I will always despise the bruins.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
for me for level of hate it's

boston
carolina
toronto
philly

after that, meh. really the last 3 are interchangeable at given times, and I will always despise the bruins.
But what games are you most excited to watch??

For me I love watching the Bruins vs Habs compared to any other team except maybe Toronto.

Even though you hate the Bruins I bet you would rather watch them then the Panthers or some other AHL team. The rivalry makes the Bruins vs Habs one of the best in sports, I would say.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If we could be as hated as we've hated Carolina and the Devils because of the failiure to beat them during all those years, i'll take it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Erdinger

Leafs fan here in peace. Right now on our board we have a poll going on about our biggest rival. For me it will always be the Habs but I'm pretty sure we are #2 for Habs fans after the Bruins. Am I right in thinking that is correct?

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
the leafs have just been so bad for so long it doesn't feel like much of a rivalry other than the Canadian/province aspect
I am hoping that continues to change though and both teams end up battling on top

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I dislike the Sens, even more back when they were good. Always seem to rip us up once a year during that day game at Scotiabank Place.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Leafs fan here in peace. Right now on our board we have a poll going on about our biggest rival. For me it will always be the Habs but I'm pretty sure we are #2 for Habs fans after the Bruins. Am I right in thinking that is correct?
For sure we are your biggest rival after all Montreal is the Mecca of the hockey universe anf in my eyes we should be the default number 1 rival for any team's list.

As a Leaf fan you should consider your fan base to be very privldeged to rank so high on our rival list (although, this 2nd place rival is often debatable seeing how pathetic the Leafs have been for some time now).

Thanks for entering the Montreal board next time make sure you delete your avatar prior to posting on our board since afterall this is the Montreal board, the most sacred of all boards.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Why did you revive a two and a half year old thread?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Yes because of our recent playoff history with the Bruins. Judging by how things have been going so far this year though, a playoff series between our two teams would really rekindle the rivalry.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote