HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Alexander Semin - Still Worth $7m/year?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
As a Caps fan, i was pissed beyond believe about the whole Semin thing in DC. Our organization is all ass backwards. We needed legit 2nd line center for how long now? Finally we got one in Ribs, but yeah, lets run out of town our 2nd line winger who can actually finish!!!
The guy is quiet, introvert with probably serious language barrier, but somehow for some fans he is a locker room cancer... just doesn't make sense.
Enjoy Carolina, complements of GMGM.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Halpysback*

Yeah non-company line sheep caps fans kinda knew it all along when the rest of the league was crapping on him. It was always obvious that he was a great two way forward both by advanced stats and by simply looking at his game and getting past the "lazy" stride.

Watch Ovechkin get traded next and hf have a mass revelation that he's a good player too

Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Most attentive, brain-bearing fans of the Capitals recognized the reality of the Semin situation. The concerted effort by media and fans alike to turn him into a pariah is really remarkable. I don't know if I've ever seen anything truly quite like it. The refs buy into the stigma and make blatant reputation calls on him, which ignorant fans then use to justify their opposition to (really hatred of) him, for example. I'm glad to see it's going well in Carolina so far.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I'm a Semin fan, have been for the entire time he played for the Capitals. I also knew that he would be a perfect fit with either of the two Staal's as he's a pure sniper who is responsible in his own end.

However, I wouldn't resign him for 7M, that's the amount he deserves on a 1-year contract with no security.

I'd offer him a 5.75M for 5 years.. Probably max out at 6M.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I'm a Semin fan, have been for the entire time he played for the Capitals. I also knew that he would be a perfect fit with either of the two Staal's as he's a pure sniper who is responsible in his own end.

However, I wouldn't resign him for 7M, that's the amount he deserves on a 1-year contract with no security.

I'd offer him a 5.75M for 5 years.. Probably max out at 6M.
Agree.

We can't afford to pay Semin 7 million a year for the next couple of years. He's a complimentary player here. A VERY good complimentary player, sure, but he isn't the main guy here.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:49 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I would do anything to get Semin on the Stars. Amazing player.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Bure

Finally getting the credit he deserves. Great two-way winger.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Whenever we're allowed to re-negotiate with him (not sure when that is since he's on a one-year in a shortened season) I would love to see him locked up for somewhere in the 5.5-6 mil range for 4-5 years. Semin has been an absolute revelation for this team and we have the cap flexibility heading into 2013-14 to still make a splash on the blueline even after retaining Semin for that price.

Guy's been like a less physical version of Hossa here. I knew he was nowhere near as bad defensively as many thought, but I didn't realize he was this good defensively.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Halpysback*

Gandler is as big of an ******* as they come but after last season I feel like even he'd be smart enough to take a long term deal at 6 flat.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm blown away by his performance so far. His shooting skill was never in question, but as a passer and defensive player he has completely exceeded expectations.

I mean, how many wingers in the league can really be called exceptional shooters, passers AND defenders? It's not a long list... if Semin keeps this up, he's going to start making some real noise.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:12 AM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Still worth $7m? He was never worth that. Shows up to play when he feels like it.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:34 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Still worth $7m? He was never worth that. Shows up to play when he feels like it.
Good thing that's been every game so far then.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:06 AM
RespectYourEdlers

It seems like all Semin wants to do is sign 1 year deals just because he gets more money that way lol hasn't he been doing that for like the past 4 years? But yeah, I'd take him for a one year 7 million deal if Vancouver had the cap space, he gets too much unwarranted hate on hfboards

Old
02-12-2013, 03:19 AM
n3ss

We're so quick to forgot that he's only a few seasons removed from being a penalty kill player for Washington.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
11 games, 3 goals, 7 assists, 10 points, +10(team leading)

Seems to be playing well enough so far, what's your opinion? Is he worth his contract? Would you extend him if you were Canes GM?
Look, Alex Semin is cursed of being a type of player that just about anyone is very ignorant of.

You are not one of the top players in this league if you live and die on the game coming to you. You can still be a very important player to your team, and you can still score a lot of pts from time to time, and so forth. But you are also bound to be a bit inconsistent no matter what and you will never be that type who really makes a team better.

And Semin is just that type of player that to material extent depends on the game coming to him. I've heard Caps people reallly hype Semin's potential and talk about him potentially being able to become this and that good. And I've heard a ton of guys bag on his attitude when he is inconsistent.

In the end, the game is about so much more than the ability to skate and rip the puck. Or handle it. In the three mentioned abilities, not many in this league match Semin. In other areas, he is not world class. Its not his fault, it would be odd if he were. But a Datsyuk for example just has so much that a Semin does not. Semin is bound to be inconsistent. I would hesitate to pay him 7m per. I don't at all see a player who doesn't try hard or who has horrible player. But 1) he isn't a top 10 talent in this league overall, he doesn't have much ability that gets him involved on a shift by shift basis, he isn't the type who always manage to be around the puck, 2) hence he will be inconsistant from time to time.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:30 AM
CloutierForVezina

Wanted the Canucks to sign him very badly last summer. He gets such an inordinate amount of vitriol thrown at him that it's hilarious.

He's pretty fair value at $7M on a 1 year term. Wouldn't hesitate to throw a multi-year deal at him if the cap hit could get lowered to sub 6M.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Malkin112

But NA media said he is garbage so he must be.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:09 AM
kp61c

vCash: 50
Quote:
one guy scores 30 goals and it doesnt help his team
talk about Oxymorons

Old
02-12-2013, 06:16 AM
dahlenrules

I knew he would do "well" for some other team, but i'm glad he's off the Caps.

I got sick of him disappearing in the playoffs. Time will tell if he can keep up his play, but it makes sense he would play well on a better organization.

Hope the Caps bring in a quality winger not named Semin in the offseason. Talent was never his problem. Everything else was.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:17 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Semin has looked good. I think he is really enjoyng playing under the leadership of the Staal brothers. Seems like it has lit a fire under his arse.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure he's loving Raleigh and the smaller market too... It's a low pressure great area that many players seem to really enjoy

Old
02-12-2013, 07:05 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
But NA media said he is garbage so he must be.

I'd completely forgotten about that. Not holding my breath for a retraction.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

I believe his major flaw is that the doesn't show up in the playoffs.

nothing he did this season proves that it won't be the case anymore.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:13 AM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm blown away by his performance so far. His shooting skill was never in question, but as a passer and defensive player he has completely exceeded expectations.

I mean, how many wingers in the league can really be called exceptional shooters, passers AND defenders? It's not a long list... if Semin keeps this up, he's going to start making some real noise.
Him being everything but one dimensional forward has really been a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't say he's been fantastic, he's had a couple of games with too many cute passes and so on but he's been solid and getting better which is the most important thing.

There aren't many players worth 7M/year but if he continues to play this good, he's close to be one. A very dangerous player in the offensive zone and knows how to defend too. Should put his shot into more effective use but I'm sure it's coming along.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:14 AM
redwingsrock

I thought Semin played really good against Boston and New York last year.

Closed Thread