HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rockets' Goulbourne trying to prove he is the real deal

Old
11-18-2014, 04:35 PM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Rockets' Goulbourne trying to prove he is the real deal

Photo: Kelowna Rockets forward and Philadelphia Flyers prospect Tyrell Goulbourne has produced 394 penalty minutes in 227 WHL games to date (courtesy of Marissa Baecker/Getty Images)

It has been said that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. If the axiom is entirely valid, it would be well worth it for Tyrell Goulbourne of the Kelowna Rockets to pay heed this season.

When the Philadelphia Flyers made Goulbourne their third round selection, 72nd overall, at the 2013 NHL Draft, there was eye-rolling in some quarters as a few pundits felt the native of Edmonton, AB likely would have been available to the Flyers in the later rounds.… read more

The post Rockets’ Goulbourne trying to prove he is the real deal appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by Ken McKenna: 11-18-2014 at 05:07 PM.
HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

99% of Flyer fans hated this pick at the time and trashed the GM and scouts. The jury is still out but at least this kid plays every shift not like some of the guys on the big club.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 08:11 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
99% of Flyer fans hated this pick at the time and trashed the GM and scouts. The jury is still out but at least this kid plays every shift not like some of the guys on the big club.
It was a massive reach at the time, and it still is today. This is the kind of player that you can get in the last two rounds of the draft (4th line upside), yet the Flyers used a top 90 pick to select him. Even Goulbourne himself was caught completely off guard when the Flyers selected him that early.

There were at least 4-5 forwards taken later in the third round that have higher upside, including guys like Duclair and Bjorkstrand.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 09:01 AM
foxygen

Goulborne is an absolute lunatic, there is no other way to describe him. He has fought guys who are 10+ inches taller and 60-70 pounds heavier than him. I doubt he will ever be a productive NHLer but I don't blame the Flyers for reaching on him; he has all the typical buzzword qualities teams want in a prospect (truculent, heart and soul, character guy, etc...) Essentially a slightly more skilled version of a Zac Rinaldo/Patrick Kaleta. If he does end up making it to the bigs, I see him developing an even more antagonistic edge to his game and occupying the sort of role of those types of players. Wherever he ends up, his team's fans will come to love him and roughly ever other team he plays will absolutely despise his antics.

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 10:01 AM
R S

vCash: 1000
Pick is still a reach but his game has really improved since that time.

His numbers are better but definitely inflated considering he's been on Kelowna's top line with Merkley and Chartier for essentially the entire year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
AFTeRMaTH*

No thanks. Still don't want him.

AFTeRMaTH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Azir
What's your point?

I am definitely not a fan of the pick, but he will be on the big club one day. Hopefully replacing Rinaldo. I have seen a couple games from him and he hopefully turns into a skilled Zac Rinadlo.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
I guess this the only Goulbourne thread. In his first 20 AHL games he has six goals, three assists, three fights and (perhaps most impressively) zero minor penalties

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote