HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Jake DeBrusk - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2015 Draft)

Old
09-13-2014, 08:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
LW Jake DeBrusk - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2015 Draft)

This kid is definitely one worth starting to track for this coming June's draft. He really had a killer second half to the season last year and has continued that through this pre-season so far.

He's got good size and is a very solid skater. A bit hunched over in his skating style but he's powerful, strong and quick. He likes to hit and is the son of former NHLer Louie DeBrusk. His hands are fairly good and he possesses a good hard shot but his "pure offence" is the one thing to watch throughout this year. He processes the game well offensively, but does tend to float a bit in his defensive game.

If he can show that he can take his offence to that next level (he had 15 goals and 39 points in 72 games last year) and clean up some of his defensive responsibility, he is a guy that many teams will want to get their hands on.

I think he could climb to as high as the 2nd round for 2015.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2014, 08:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Bumped.

His game continues to be on a nice incline developmentally-speaking. I've even seen him crack some top 30 overall lists, which seems a tad aggressive but is still impressive.

He has 13 goals and 25 points so far in 30 games this year in Swift Current. Here's what I said about him in the middle of November on my latest draft ranking:

Quote:
10 (9) – Jake DeBrusk – LW – Swift Current Broncos – DeBrusk continues to sit in my top 10 as I think he’s a legitimate top 50 calibre guy overall in this draft class. He’s a strong skater, has a nice edge to his game and has a goal scorer’s touch around the net. This kid could be a total steal in a few years if he falls outside the top 60.
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...d-edition.html

Old
01-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Riggins

vCash: 500
Still hanging around a point per game with 21 goals now. Solid numbers for a WHLer in his draft year. No one seems to be talking about him much. Button has him ranked 27th.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2015, 11:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
Still hanging around a point per game with 21 goals now. Solid numbers for a WHLer in his draft year. No one seems to be talking about him much. Button has him ranked 27th.
I have!

Old
01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
I have!
you think he goes in the 1st round?

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Son of a former Oiler- Check
From Edmonton- Check
Plays in the Dub- Check

If he is around for the Pens pick or the Oilers 2nd you can bet they will take him.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2015, 12:24 AM
hoc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceonfire View Post
Son of a former Oiler- Check
From Edmonton- Check
Plays in the Dub- Check

If he is around for the Pens pick or the Oilers 2nd you can bet they will take him.

Poor guy.

hoc123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

You just know he's going to be an Oiler, it's in his blood. Literally.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2015, 03:09 AM
Bryanbryoil

Does he drop the mitts like his dad used to?

01-08-2015, 12:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
you think he goes in the 1st round?
Doubt it. I see him more as a 31-45 type guy personally. But he is trending upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
No. He's physical and isn't afraid to hit but he's not a scrapper and is not at all the same player as his dad.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
Old
01-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I live in swift and I'm a 1st year billet so I go to all the games. The info from the scout or whatever he is isn't entirely accurate. Jake isn't a scrapper like louie was but he's been in at least 3 fights this year. He hits and mixes it up well. Good offensive skill and average defensively but the broncos use a high left winger so it makes him look worse than he is defensively and inflates the offense a bit. His shot isn't really an NHL level shot yet like Lowry. But everything else is there. Glen Gawdin is another one to watch from here. Probably more of a 3rd rounder whereas I see Jake going in the early 2nd round hopefully to calgary...haha

One other interesting thing he mentioned is that he was 5 foot 2 3 years ago and he was noticeably shorter last year. He might still be growing and might still grow into his body more. Makes him kind of an intriguing guy in my opinion. Most intriguing guy we've had in swift since Lowry and I include honka in that.

Double Dion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I live in swift and I'm a 1st year billet so I go to all the games. The info from the scout or whatever he is isn't entirely accurate. Jake isn't a scrapper like louie was but he's been in at least 3 fights this year. He hits and mixes it up well. Good offensive skill and average defensively but the broncos use a high left winger so it makes him look worse than he is defensively and inflates the offense a bit. His shot isn't really an NHL level shot yet like Lowry. But everything else is there. Glen Gawdin is another one to watch from here. Probably more of a 3rd rounder whereas I see Jake going in the early 2nd round hopefully to calgary...haha

One other interesting thing he mentioned is that he was 5 foot 2 3 years ago and he was noticeably shorter last year. He might still be growing and might still grow into his body more. Makes him kind of an intriguing guy in my opinion. Most intriguing guy we've had in swift since Lowry and I include honka in that.
Lol, ok there. I've seen plenty of his games and enough to feel comfortable in my comments about him. I was asked if he plays like his dad. He doesn't.

Jake has 43 PIMs in 113 career WHL games.

Louie had 570 PIMs in his 181 career OHL games when he was a junior player.

Feel free to post your own opinions but try not to throw a guy under the bus for no apparent reason.

Old
01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
Lol, ok there. I've seen plenty of his games and enough to feel comfortable in my comments about him. I was asked if he plays like his dad. He doesn't.

Jake has 43 PIMs in 113 career WHL games.

Louie had 570 PIMs in his 181 career OHL games when he was a junior player.

Feel free to post your own opinions but try not to throw a guy under the bus for no apparent reason.
You said he doesn't fight. I've seen him fight 3 times, so your information wasn't accurate. It's not an opinion. An opinion is "he skates hunched over." I agree with that opinion. You said he has a good hard shot, that's sort of an opinion too. I disagree with that one. I think his shot is his main weakness. A fact is whether he fights or not. He's not an enforcer, but he does drop the mitts. Correcting inaccurate information is not throwing someone under the bus. You were asked if he drops the mitts. You responded no. It was inaccurate. You could say I've seen him play X number of games and he hasn't fought in those games or ask his coach if he scraps like other scouts do.

I won't even charge you for the education

Old
01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Mikey71

Wow DD, you totally missed what RS was saying about his fighting and look kind of silly doing so, in my opinion. He was asked if Debrusk fights like his dad fought. I grew up watching his dad fight pretty much every single time London came here to the Soo and he was as pretty one dimensional as it gets. I read that as someone asking if the kid fought all of the time like his dad fought pretty much every game at least once. I didn't read it to suggest that he was saying the kid didn't fight at all. You are challenging something that isn't there. Going on about it makes you look even worse.

It is always great when posters have that little bit extra insight based on where they live, how they may be tied to a certain hockey situation/environment, but I respectfully suggest you do it in a less challenging way. It fills in a lot of blanks to the rest of us that don't see certain things or players as often. Hell, I have been there plenty of times too being in the local hockey circles here in the Soo playing with and against a few guys that went on to the NHL.

Cheers, and I look forward to more of your insight to WHL players since I don't get the opportunity to hear as much about them.

Mikey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
Wow DD, you totally missed what RS was saying about his fighting and look kind of silly doing so, in my opinion. He was asked if Debrusk fights like his dad fought. I grew up watching his dad fight pretty much every single time London came here to the Soo and he was as pretty one dimensional as it gets. I read that as someone asking if the kid fought all of the time like his dad fought pretty much every game at least once. I didn't read it to suggest that he was saying the kid didn't fight at all. You are challenging something that isn't there. Going on about it makes you look even worse.

It is always great when posters have that little bit extra insight based on where they live, how they may be tied to a certain hockey situation/environment, but I respectfully suggest you do it in a less challenging way. It fills in a lot of blanks to the rest of us that don't see certain things or players as often. Hell, I have been there plenty of times too being in the local hockey circles here in the Soo playing with and against a few guys that went on to the NHL.

Cheers, and I look forward to more of your insight to WHL players since I don't get the opportunity to hear as much about them.
He said he's not a scrapper. I read that as he doesn't fight. Ie. There is a difference between Iginla and McGratton. There's also a difference between Iginla and Tanguay. Jake is like Iginla, not Tanguay. He's not an enforcer, but he does drop the mitts.

When he said he isn't like his Dad at all, that implies he's a skill guy to me like Tanguay. He's more of a mini-power-forward. Like an Iginla or Darcy Tucker type. Scouts have a tough job, especially when they aren't regional scouts and only see 4 or 5 games a guy plays in a good year. He implied he was intimately familiar with the player and then didn't give accurate information. Most scouts I've seen talk with coaching staff and team personnel more than RS did. His comment on Jake having a great shot also didn't ring true.

Old
02-08-2015, 12:55 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

He's now up to 33 goals and 56 points in 53 games.

That includes 20 goals in his last 21 games.

If he manages to fall out of the first round, look out. Someone will get some value. I've called him a 3rd rounder...then an early 2nd. He could go top 20 or 25 at this rate. Killer instincts around the net. Some of the best I've seen out of a WHL player in the last few years.

Old
03-01-2015, 11:21 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

I still haven't seen him have a "bad" game this year.

I've caught him twice in the past five days and he was good in both. He now has 12 goals in his last 16 games, despite not scoring tonight. Obviously trending in the right direction.

Despite not finding the sheet tonight he was dangerous. Had 10 shots on goal before the second period was over. He does everything well on the offensive side of the puck. Very smart, decent skater, good shot, crashes the net and has very good spacial awareness and body positioning.

Wouldn't be shocked if some teams had him ranked inside their top 15 or 20. He's that good.

Ultimately I think he will be drafted in the 25 to 35 range.